Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 20 Nov 2019, 04:06
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
MintPup (Trusty LTS)
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 2 of 23 [334 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, ..., 21, 22, 23 Next
Moat

PostPosted: Thu 30 Jul 2015, 17:23    Post subject:  

saintless wrote:
This could be the reason for some of the messages from your screenshot.

Information what is changed in case someone likes to restore the high Mint packages priority.

Thanks for the info, Toni - I will try this again, as soon as I get a chance.

I'm a real "fan" of Mint's Mate/Marco desktop environment (along with the excellent MintMenu) - it's very highly functional with plenty of useful features, can be made quite beautiful aesthetically, and is still more than reasonably light on resources - works wonderfully on my old dual-core machines. A great "middle ground" in the world of DE's, IMHO. But, of course, installing as I did above adds almost a full 1 Gb to the installed OS size. All a trade-off! Shocked

Thanks again,

Bob
wanderer

PostPosted: Fri 31 Jul 2015, 11:14    Post subject:  

just a report

works on
acer laptop
gateway laptop
dell desktop

both from cd-rw and live usb

apt works
wired internet works
wireless works
firefox works

great job

thanks

wanderer
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Fri 31 Jul 2015, 13:56    Post subject:  

Very nice. MintPup boots easily from ISObooter.
fredx181

PostPosted: Sat 01 Aug 2015, 05:09    Post subject:  

Hi Toni and everyone,

*** Openbox-MintPup for testing ***

Here's a setup I made for a light openbox session.
Edit: Re-uploaded, added Wallpaper chooser (it's in the openbox-menu, "Set Wallpaper")
Dependency 'hsetroot' replaced by 'nitrogen'
Download:
https://googledrive.com/host/0ByBgCDlZZ8K5bUsxVnhCTkhoZDA/openbox-mintpup_setup.tar.gz

Extract the archive, it contains 2 .deb files and README-Setup file.

From README-Setup:
----------------------------------
After apt-get update :

FIRST: Install tint2_0.11+svn20121014-3_i386.deb:
This tint2 version is from Debian Jessie, the Ubuntu Trusty tint2 version is to old.

From terminal in this directory:
dpkg -i tint2_0.11+svn20121014-3_i386.deb
And:
apt-get -f install

THEN:
Install openbox-mintpup_0.0.1_i386.deb:

From terminal in this directory:
dpkg -i openbox-mintpup_0.0.1_i386.deb
And:
apt-get -f install

Total install size: around 9.5 MB

To start: Jwm menu > System > Start Openbox
To get back to Jwm from Openbox: Menu > Applications > Preferences > Start Jwm
-----------------------------------------

To add or remove icons from the left launcher panel on the desktop:
Just Add/Remove .desktop files in ~/tint2launchers and restart tint2.
(Menu > Openbox > Tint2 panel > Restart tint2)

Any suggestions to improve are very welcome!

Edit: Re-uploaded, added Wallpaper chooser (in the openbox-menu, "Set Wallpaper")
Dependency 'hsetroot' replaced by 'nitrogen'
Download:
https://googledrive.com/host/0ByBgCDlZZ8K5bUsxVnhCTkhoZDA/openbox-mintpup_setup.tar.gz

Fred
mintpup-openbox.png
 Description   mintpup openbox session
 Filesize   179.47 KB
 Viewed   1112 Time(s)

mintpup-openbox.png

Last edited by fredx181 on Sat 01 Aug 2015, 14:02; edited 2 times in total
saintless

PostPosted: Sat 01 Aug 2015, 06:41    Post subject:  

Thanks Fred.
Added link in the first post above the iso download link.
I confirm it works for user and root from quick testing, but unfortunately I don't have time to test again all after installing OpenBox and changing all WM from user and root account. When you think it is ready for official upload in mintpup repository I will do it.

Toni

mcewanw

PostPosted: Sat 01 Aug 2015, 07:49    Post subject:  

Thanks from me too, Fred,

Since this builds on the existing jwm_icewm version of MintPup I imagine xdm works with it for login display manager? If so, that's great, and nice way to build the openbox system to keep consistent functionality with jwm_icewm version I feel.

William

fredx181

PostPosted: Sat 01 Aug 2015, 14:47    Post subject:  

Hi Toni, William,

Quote:
Added link in the first post above the iso download link.

Thanks Toni, I tested with regular user switching WM's many times, so it should be OK.
But let's wait a little while before making official, I might change/fix some more later.
Just one thing, when switching to puppy or any new created user the 'Start Openbox' menu entry didn't appear until I refreshed e.g. menu-puppy.
I think it has to do with the Jwm setup as any other fresh installed program won't appear either.
Somehow a 'update menus' would be needed before login maybe?

See my Edit in previous post for new openbox-mintpup upload, with added wallpaper chooser.

William, thanks, yes, I couldn't resist making some sort of openbox version.
I'm starting to like openbox more and more, inspired a little by the minimalistic way e.g. Crunchbang is setup, very much configurable.
(although my version turned out very different)

Quote:
Since this builds on the existing jwm_icewm version of MintPup I imagine xdm works with it for login display manager?

Yes, in theory it should, it's the same setup as Jwm and Icewm, but I couldn't get it to work.
Is xdm not supported yet on mintpup maybe?
Running 'xdm-start' gave me message that systemd is not installed.
Sorry if I possibly missed something that has been discussed before.

Fred

Last edited by fredx181 on Sat 01 Aug 2015, 16:05; edited 1 time in total
saintless

PostPosted: Sat 01 Aug 2015, 16:00    Post subject:  

Hi Fred.
fredx181 wrote:
Just one thing, when switching to puppy or any new created user the 'Start Openbox' menu entry didn't appear until I refreshed e.g. menu-puppy.
I think it has to do with the Jwm setup as any other fresh installed program won't appear either.
Somehow a 'update menus' would be needed before login maybe?

The menu system generates $HOME/.jwmrc file. If the programm is installed from user puppy and has postinst script with update-menus and included .desktop file - then it will auto-appear in the menu.
If you use root for installing a program and then login as user the menu entry is not visible till you use Menu-Puppy or till next ptogram is installed with apt-get or Synaptic.
But I don't know how in OpenBox the menu is generated and if it needs starting Menu-Debian first (which will restore /opt/bin/update-menus link to /usr/bin/update-menus instead to the special mkjwm-menu).

Quote:
Yes, in theory it should, it's the same setup as Jwm and Icewm, but I couldn't get it to work.
Is xdm not supported yet on mintpup maybe?

You need to reboot after xdm-start or exit X and /etc/init.d/xdm restart
Testing earlier today I didn't have problem to boot in OpenBox with activated xdm.
Quote:
Running 'xdm-start' gave me message that systemd is not installed.

It is preparation for later if systemd package appears in Ubuntu Trusty repository (or in case you like to install it from Utopic). If systemd is installed the script will copy the files for systemd auto-login instead "Systemd is not installed" message.

Toni

fredx181

PostPosted: Sat 01 Aug 2015, 16:54    Post subject:  

Toni wrote:
If you use root for installing a program and then login as user the menu entry is not visible till you use Menu-Puppy or till next ptogram is installed with apt-get or Synaptic.

Yes, that's exactly what I noticed, I guess that's not an easy thing to fix.

Quote:
But I don't know how in OpenBox the menu is generated and if it needs starting Menu-Debian first (which will restore /opt/bin/update-menus link to /usr/bin/update-menus instead to the special mkjwm-menu).

From what I understand, the Openbox menu > Applications doesn't rely on update-menus, it's directly updated from the contents of .desktop files in /usr/share/applications (or, with higher priority, in ~/.local/share/applications).

Btw, I forgot to mention earlier:
Some .desktop files have no line "Type=Application"
I used a workaround in 'start-openbox' script by searching and copying these to ~/.local/share/applications and modify by adding this line.
The openbox-menu is generated from /etc/xdg/menus/lxde-applications.menu and .desktop files without the "Type=Application" line won't show in menu so I think in the future it's a good thing we add it to any custom made .desktop file.

Quote:
You need to reboot after xdm-start or exit X and /etc/init.d/xdm restart
Testing earlier today I didn't have problem to boot in OpenBox with activated xdm.

OK, didn't know that, thanks.

Fred
mcewanw

PostPosted: Sat 01 Aug 2015, 20:49    Post subject:  

Hi Fred,

Just trying openbox alternative. Looks nice. One possible issue is with the menu - on first booting and selecting menu item 'Applications' I seem to need to click (rather than just hover) to open it. Also one I have a menu, moving cursor to desktop (i.e. not focussing on the menu or submenu) doesn't close the menu unless I actually click somewhere (but perhaps that is intended?).

I also couldn't see how to move items from Xfe or Rox filemanager to desktop with this openbox version. Works from Xfe or Rox filemanager to Rox pinboard when using jwm version as far as I recall. Is Thunar needed to do that with openbox?

Note that I also couldn't see Rox filemanager in the openbox menu (but maybe I just missed it).

Also, I wonder about Applications -> Other

Why do these apps appear in the non-descriptive submenu 'Other'? Is it a desktop file issue?

Nice alternative to jwm though, and conky needed should someone want dogradio anyway.

William

saintless

PostPosted: Sun 02 Aug 2015, 02:19    Post subject:  

Hi Fred.
fredx181 wrote:
Toni wrote:

Yes, that's exactly what I noticed, I guess that's not an easy thing to fix.

It is the same in all DD-Jwm iso versions and I don't see anything to fix here.
The user menu is generated from $HOME/ files running "jwm -reload" after that and the change can't be made in all /home/user-names directories installing a program from one account.
Anyway it could be changed if the menu is generated from /etc/jwm files instaed from $HOME/ but I don't recommend this for multiuser system.
If one time updating the menus after login in different account is a problem the user can change the WM to OpenBox or different one and remove Jwm setup.

Toni

mcewanw

PostPosted: Sun 02 Aug 2015, 06:22    Post subject:  

By the way, Fred,

I was looking through porteus boot initrd and noted that the 64bit version had quite a number of changes (though a fair amount the same). I presume you modified the original porteus initrd to add all the debian-related stuff. Seemed like quite a big job since you also appear to have needed to comment out quite a bit of the original porteus code. I presume you knew Porteus system quite well such that you were able to do that without too much effort? The same looked like it could be a lot of effort for me (who doesn't know Porteus system at all).

The reason I was looking at it was because I wondered how easy or otherwise it would be to produce a Linux Mint 64 bit MintPup but using Porteus boot since that so conveniently allows saving to a folder in the same partition as booted from. But I suspect it is not easy... so, currently, for a machine I want 64bit OS on, I'm just using xfce Linux mint 64 itself.

William

fredx181

PostPosted: Sun 02 Aug 2015, 13:56    Post subject:  

Hi William,

Quote:
Just trying openbox alternative. Looks nice. One possible issue is with the menu - on first booting and selecting menu item 'Applications' I seem to need to click (rather than just hover) to open it.

It may seem that way but I think when first time run it takes a little time to open the Applications menu.

Quote:
Also one I have a menu, moving cursor to desktop (i.e. not focussing on the menu or submenu) doesn't close the menu unless I actually click somewhere (but perhaps that is intended?).

That's normal desired behaviour in my opinion (but I may not understand exactly what you mean).

Quote:
I also couldn't see how to move items from Xfe or Rox filemanager to desktop with this openbox version. Works from Xfe or Rox filemanager to Rox pinboard when using jwm version as far as I recall. Is Thunar needed to do that with openbox?

It's not as advanced as with the DD openbox_xfce version, as that has xfdesktop to draw the desktop.
The icons you see on the left of the desktop is a tint2 panel, add or remove .desktop launchers in ~/tint2launchers to change, from my first post about openbox-mintpup:

fredx181 wrote:

The number of launchers is limited, depending on your resolution, as it's only one vertical row.

Quote:
Note that I also couldn't see Rox filemanager in the openbox menu (but maybe I just missed it).

Yes, you are right, it's not in the Jwm menu either, btw, and no .desktop file present in /usr/share/applications.
I will fix in next version.

Quote:
Also, I wonder about Applications -> Other

The menu is generated by openbox pipemenu to lxde-applications.menu, some categories in the .desktop files are not recognized by that, e.g. 'Audio'.

Thanks for testing.

Quote:

I was looking through porteus boot initrd and noted that the 64bit version had quite a number of changes (though a fair amount the same). I presume you modified the original porteus initrd to add all the debian-related stuff. Seemed like quite a big job since you also appear to have needed to comment out quite a bit of the original porteus code.

It was really a 'experimental trial and error' thing for me, changing it bit by bit, I had just some user experience using Slax and later Porteus, so I was a little familiar with live-system boot using modules and aufs.
So if someone would ask me to write a how-to about porteus-boot, I wouldn't know where to start Shocked
Maybe you could just try to use the linuxrc from mintpup initrd1.xz with a 64bit version?
(probably to easy, but maybe worth a try and see what happens)
I don't have a 64bit machine and no experience with it.

Fred
mcewanw

PostPosted: Sun 02 Aug 2015, 20:43    Post subject:  

fredx181 wrote:

It's not as advanced as with the DD openbox_xfce version, as that has xfdesktop to draw the desktop.
The icons you see on the left of the desktop is a tint2 panel, add or remove .desktop launchers in ~/tint2launchers to change, from my first post about openbox-mintpup:

Hi Fred,

Sorry, I do remember reading the above about Tint2 panel now - that explains it. I presume xfdesktop addition would be a lot of extra - it certainly works well in DD-openbox version.
fredx181 wrote:

Maybe you could just try to use the linuxrc from mintpup initrd1.xz with a 64bit version?
(probably to easy, but maybe worth a try and see what happens)

Good idea; worth me giving that a try sometime anyway.

William

mcewanw

PostPosted: Sun 02 Aug 2015, 21:10    Post subject:    

fredx181 wrote:

Fred

Yeah, I just had a Pentium M (no-pae)/750MB RAM machine prior to picking up a couple of old 64-bit core-2-duo/2GB RAM machines for NZ$50 each (around 30 Euros each). Nice wee machines with webcams but no hard-drives (that's why I worked on booting from SD and continue to just use that instead - works great.

William

Page 2 of 23 [334 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, ..., 21, 22, 23 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: