MintPup (Trusty LTS)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
saintless

MintPup (Trusty LTS)

#1 Post by saintless »

Edit - 21.06.2017: According to this post the thread stays open as a community project:
mcewanw wrote:As I say, all dogs are community projects; no-one can ask for that work to be locked or deleted without agreement from the other contributors.
Not maintained by me anymore.

Ubuntu releases information page.
-------------------------------------------------------
One month from today (28.09.2016) I will remove all files from:
http://www.kazzascorner.com.au/saintless
Thank you very much for your support Kazza.

I will not update anymore:
http://www.smokey01.com/saintless
Thank you very much for your support Smokey.

All DebianDog and MintPup files are uploaded at github. Links available in the first page post.

All the best and good luck with the community project.
Click here for bugs and fixes information.
========================================
MintPup-Trusty on github.

MintPup project started from wanderer in this thread continue here and presents my view of wanderer's idea for puppifying LinuxMint 17.1.
And it is not Puppy linux. It has nothing to do with Puppy based on Debian or Ubuntu.

Downloading MintPup be ready to learn different package manager and different system setup in Ubuntu/Debian manner.
Read here some tips from William.

Even not a Puppy still you will be able to do usual Puppy actions as creating, loading, unloading sfs files, remastering the system or creating module from changes only, using boot in RAM without saving or saving changes in file, folder, partition, having one or more frugal or full install and dual-boot with different OS.

You can even use/convert pet packages and sfs files from Puppy but it is not recommended if you like to keep well working apt-get/Synaptic package manager (which is the main advantage using MintPup).

MintPup is built from Linux Mint 17.1 "Rebecca" - Xfce (32-bit) using this method and shaped to look like Puppy and act like Puppy.
You have access to all Ubuntu (trusty) and Mint (Rebecca) repositories using apt-get or synaptic.
It is very similar to DebianDog and has the same look and feel. Many links here will point to DebianDog instructions and utilities because they work the same way in MintPup. DebianDog Utilities thread and HowTo thread should be valid for MintPup.

All the work from Fred, William, Terry and other people for DebianDog is included in MintPup and all scripts for DebianDog in the future should work in MintPup. The main difference is MintPup has access to Ubuntu (trusty) and Mint (Rebecca) repositories instead to Debian.
If you are familiar with DebianDog you will not have troubles to use MintPup.

To test MintPup for first time you need to burn it on CD and boot from it, or use MintPup-installer working from most linux systems (click here to download and extract the archive and read the instruction inside first) to make frugal install to HDD, USB, SD-card or to extract /casper folder on top of a partition or USB and edit grub menu.lst.

Login details:
root with password root
puppy with password puppy

MintPup is set to autologin as root. If you like to use it as multiuser system it is recommended to start XDM login manager. Just type in terminal xdm-start and reboot. xdm-stop will reverse back autologin as root.

Read the second post about the two available boot and save file options.

Only Jwm-IceWm version available for download:
Click here for testing light OpenBox setup from Fred.

1. MintPup-jwm-icewm-hybrid-07.05.2016.iso - 173 Mb.
Default WM - JWM with option to switch to IceWM.
Default File Manager - XFE with option to use Rox.
Default Internet Browser - Dillo.

Check for updated iso images here.

Mirror download link (thanks Ally).

md5sum

Code: Select all

mint ~ # uname -a
Linux mint 3.13.0-37-generic #64-Ubuntu SMP Mon Sep 22 21:30:01 UTC 2014 i686 i686 i686 GNU/Linux
Start sfs-get-MintPup from the menu and you will see all available modules.
The DEVX module includes also add-apt-repository packages: Loading the module only for adding new PPA repo and unloading the module keeping the PPA repo active works from limited testing.

Remastering GUI scripts work (but I prefer to use /opt/bin/remaster-mint-cli from terminal because it is well tested in MintPup).

Included some art wallpapers special made for MintPup from futwerk.
Al wallpapers you can download here.

You can make bootable usb from the hybrid iso using dd command. This option is for users with more experience and will make the usb partition with MintPup files read-only without option to replace the included boot menu with custom menu entry.
Hybrid-iso to usb example using /dev/sdb flash drive posted here.

It is recommended to use mintpup-installer (click here to download and extract the archive and read the instruction inside first) working from most linux systems instead using dd command to create bootable usb.

To keep the size small as possible all /usr/share/locale files for the included packages are moved in separate squashfs module 02-locale-mintpup-jwm-icewm-xz.squashfs available for download from sfs-get-MintPup or from here.
In case you like to change the localization load the module or place it inside /live/image/casper to be loaded at boot time.
You can also install localepurge and copy only the language files you need from the squashfs module in /usr/share/locale directory to save space in the future.
More information about changing localization read here, here and here.

A big thanks to Kazza for providing the hosting space for MintPup and all DebianDog versions, modules and packages!

Related links:
Lumina Desktop for DebianDog and MintPup
Kingston wps-office sfs module
Install BCM4312 wireless driver in MintPup
How to install Variety in MintPup
DebianDog-Jessie
Infinality fonts packages for Debian Wheezy (thanks to Keisha)
DebianDog wireless LAN HowTo thread
DebianDog HowTo thread
DebianDog Utilities thread
DebianDog Packages section
Setting up Chinese fonts github wiki from limelime
Using kernel 3.14-pae with DebianDog instruction by Keisha
Systemd boot information
Install Spotify on Debian/DebianDog
DebianDog + Blue Pup Quirky Tahr Dual Boot USB Stick How-To
How To Make A Network Storage NAS Appliance With DebianDog and OpenMediaVault

DebianDog-Wheezy.iso (old stable Debian)
DebianDog-Squeeze.iso version for very old computers
Use old Skype version after 01.08.2014
==========================================
Last edited by saintless on Sat 08 Jul 2017, 17:54, edited 34 times in total.

saintless

boot methods

#2 Post by saintless »

Two boot methods available for MintPup:
Click the links for more information.

1. MintPup porteus-boot - porteus initrd1.xz made for Ubuntu kernel (thanks to Fred and sfs).
Chose this one if you are familiar with Porteus or Puppy linux.
Option to use encrypted save file.

2. MintPup casper-boot - Ubuntu/Mint initrd.lz created with update-initramfs.
Chose this one if you are familiar with Ubuntu or Debian-Squeeze save file options.
Option to use encrypted save file or encrypted partition.

===================================
Last edited by saintless on Tue 27 Jun 2017, 06:38, edited 5 times in total.

saintless

Fixes post:

#3 Post by saintless »

Fixes list moved here.
Last edited by saintless on Tue 27 Jun 2017, 06:39, edited 19 times in total.

saintless

Porteus-boot

#4 Post by saintless »

Porteus-boot code examples moved here.
MintPup porteus-boot - porteus initrd1.xz made for Ubuntu kernel (thanks to Fred and sfs).
Chose this one if you are familiar with Porteus, DebianDog or Puppy linux.
Option to use encrypted save file.

Never use the same /casper folder name for more MintPup frugall install on different partitions. Use different folder name for more MintPup frugal install.

It is not the exact Porteus boot method since it uses .squashfs modules extension instead .xzm and /casper instead /debian folder, but the save file options are the same as in Porteus.
copy2ram parameter will copy all available modules inside /casper and its subfolders in RAM.

Boot code examples after copy /casper folder from the iso at top of sda1:

Copy to RAM without saving changes:

title MintPup porteus-boot in RAM (no save) (sda1)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /casper/vmlinuz noauto from=/ copy2ram
initrd /casper/initrd1.xz
This will create automatically /casper/changes folder for changes:

title MintPup porteus-boot save in /casper/changes folder (sda1)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /casper/vmlinuz noauto from=/ changes=/casper/
This need to be created "changes.dat" (or whatever custom name) savefile first for saving changes:

title MintPup porteus-boot changes in /casper/changes.dat file (sda1)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /casper/vmlinuz noauto from=/ changes=/casper/changes.dat
This way of saving changes is equivalent of "pupmode=13" in puppy , saving changes only at shutdown:

title MintPup porteus-boot save on EXIT in /casper/changes.dat file (sda1)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /casper/vmlinuz noauto from=/ changes=EXIT:/casper/changes.dat
Note for last example: there will be prompt for save or not to save. Also for prompt to create savefile first time boot.

Like the previous one saving changes only at shutdown but in folder changes:

title MintPup porteus-boot save on EXIT in /casper/changes folder
root (hd0,0)
kernel /casper/vmlinuz noauto from=/ changes=EXIT:/casper/
initrd (hd0,0)/casper/initrd1.xz
For the last two boot codes only "changes=EXIT:/path-to-save-file/folder" you can type from terminal:

save2flash
This will save in the middle of a session.
Note about changes=EXIT:/ boot code: It is recommended to check for free space before saving changes on Exit or using save2flash. Read here how to do it.

==================================

Porteus initrd1.xz file depends now on /casper folder. It will search for folder with name casper and if it is not found an error message will appear. But you can move /casper in any folder with different name and to use this code (inside folder /mintpup for example):

title MintPup inside /mintpup/casper (sda1)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /mintpup/casper/vmlinuz noauto from=/mintpup/
initrd /mintpup/casper/initrd1.xz
Last edited by saintless on Tue 27 Jun 2017, 06:40, edited 6 times in total.

saintless

Casper-boot method

#5 Post by saintless »

Casper-boot code examples moved here.

MintPup casper-boot - Ubuntu/Mint initrd.lz created with update-initramfs.
Chose this one if you are familiar with Ubuntu or Debian-Squeeze Live save file options.
Option to use encrypted save file or encrypted partition.

Never use the same /casper folder name for more MintPup frugal install on different partitions. Use different folder name for more MintPup frugal install.

Boot with initrd.lz created with update-initramfs. Official initrd.lz from LinuxMint has some modifications to support encrypted save file or partition.

Example boot code after extracting /casper folder from the iso on top of sda1.

title MintPup no save (sda1)
root=(hd0,0)
kernel /casper/vmlinuz boot=casper config swapon ignore_uuid cdrom-detect/try-usb=true showmounts union=aufs
initrd /casper/initrd.lz
If you add persistent to the boot code save file casper-rw at top of partition (or partition with label casper-rw) will be used to save the changes. The same code works for encrypted save file.

title MintPup save in casper-rw (sda1)
root=(hd0,0)
kernel /casper/vmlinuz boot=casper config swapon ignore_uuid cdrom-detect/try-usb=true showmounts union=aufs persistent
initrd /casper/initrd.lz
How to boot MintPup casper-boot from directory other than /casper

If you copy the casper folder from MintPup iso and put it in /mintpup on say /dev/sda1 the following menu.lst stanza could be used:

title MintPup in /mintpup/casper (on first partition of drive /dev/sda = hd0,0) save in casper-rw
root=(hd0,0)
kernel /mintpup/casper/vmlinuz boot=casper config swapon ignore_uuid cdrom-detect/try-usb=true showmounts union=aufs live-media-path=mintpup/casper/ persistent
initrd /mintpup/casper/initrd.lz
===================================
Last edited by saintless on Tue 27 Jun 2017, 06:40, edited 5 times in total.

mcewanw

#6 Post by mcewanw »

As a matter of interest, as an alternative to say Firefox, the following Palemoon browser installer for Linux worked for me on MintPup. It's not a deb package but seems to install into its own folder. Using Porteus save changes to folder on EXIT boot method it was pretty easy to change my mind one way or the other anyway. There is also a definitely portable version of Palemoon browser on the site, but I haven't tried that.

http://linux.palemoon.org/download/installer/

William

EDIT: Surprisingly, on my computer, that latest palemoon, according to 'top', uses more than twice as much CPU compared to Firefox 39.0 when browser just started up and sitting on one tab. Not sure if that result is reliable though, but I'm sticking with Firefox for now anyway... (sorry, I forgot to check the RAM usage difference)
Last edited by mcewanw on Thu 30 Jul 2015, 01:59, edited 2 times in total.
github mcewanw

ally

#7 Post by ally »

saintless

#8 Post by saintless »

Thanks Ally!
Mirror download link added in the first post.

Toni

wanderer

#9 Post by wanderer »

great job

with the documentation (and the creation of MintPup)

I love this new thread

thanks

wanderer

Moat

#10 Post by Moat »

Just a quick play, booting the first method (Porteus fresh - boots fast for a liveCD)...

Looks really nice! Frisbee found and connected just fine. Latest Palemoon installed and worked fine using their installer.sh (had to set it to open with bash via right-click>properties, otherwise it would only open as a text file).

Just for fun and curiosity, I used Synaptic to install the entire mint-meta-mate packages. Once Synaptic was finished with that, ctrl+alt+backspaced to command line and started the Mate session with 'startx mate-session'. Aside from lots of errors being reported by xterm (which had to remain open to continue the session), a quick test showed most things working - including the Mate control center and desktop setup utilities and most (if not quite all) panel applets. Very light on CPU use, too.

Very cool! Shows some real potential to possibly be able to build & run a full-blown, full-bling Mint Mate USB install along with the Puppy/Porteus save/persistence features and Puppy/Debian Dog utilities. Neat stuff...!

Bob
Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
Mate on MintPup
(97.48 KiB) Downloaded 16787 times
Xterm error window copy.jpg
Xterm errors
(95.04 KiB) Downloaded 16862 times

saintless

#11 Post by saintless »

Thanks Moat.

Linux Mint has some special packages conflicting with the version from Ubuntu repository:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 671#856671
I'm more interested to have 100% Ubuntu repository compatibility and I removed the high priority of mint repo. This could be the reason for some of the messages from your screenshot.

Information what is changed in case someone likes to restore the high Mint packages priority.

Changing the WM will need editing the link $HOME/.xsession. In case mate is installed change the line exec jwm to exec mate-session. Then you will not see terminal starting X.
To restore the official Mint repository configuration remove /etc/apt/apt.conf
Open with text editor /etc/apt/preferences.d/official-package-repositories.pref, remove MintPup section and uncomment the lines in "Original Linux Mint 17.1 configuration" section.
Open with text editor /etc/apt/sources.list.d/official-package-repositories.list, uncomment the lines in "Original Linux Mint 17.1 sources order" section and remove the repo lines above this section (you can cut and paste Kazza' repo as last line).
Run apt-get update and after that start installing meta packages.

Toni

otoshan

#12 Post by otoshan »

Thank you saintless. Very smoothly work OS.

I too prefer only Ubuntu repository.
Is it stable and safely if i comment mint repositories from /etc/apt/sources.list.d/official-package-repositories.list?

#deb http://packages.linuxmint.com rebecca main upstream import  #id:linuxmint_main
#deb http://extra.linuxmint.com rebecca main #id:linuxmint_extra
Can i start by default user without prompt window like root?

mcewanw

#13 Post by mcewanw »

saintless wrote: I'm more interested to have 100% Ubuntu repository compatibility and I removed the high priority of mint repo.
Just wondered why you would want that for Linux Mint based distribution, Toni. Wouldn't Lubuntu be the appropriate base distribution to cut down into a LubuntuDog (I imagine Lubuntu is pretty similar to Linux Mint xfce version)? Not that I'm suggesting doing that since hardly necessary when MintPup can use Ubuntu repos.

William
github mcewanw

saintless

#14 Post by saintless »

Hi William.
I didn't have plans to play with Mint or Ubuntu. Just trying to help wanderer providing smaller base for his project. I gave my answer about mint repo priority here.
I think it is a mistake to break official Ubuntu packages compatibility as it is done in Linux Mint.
We have also special packages as frisbee conflicting with network-manager for example. But you don't have problem to install network-manager from official Ubuntu repo:

puppy@mint ~ $ sudo apt-get install network-manager resolvconf
[sudo] password for puppy: 
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
The following extra packages will be installed:
  dnsmasq-base glib-networking glib-networking-services
  gsettings-desktop-schemas isc-dhcp-client isc-dhcp-common libgudev-1.0-0
  libmm-glib0 libnetfilter-conntrack3 libnm-glib4 libnm-util2 libpam-systemd
  libpolkit-agent-1-0 libpolkit-backend-1-0 libpolkit-gobject-1-0 libsoup2.4-1
  libsystemd-daemon0 policykit-1 systemd-services systemd-shim
Suggested packages:
  avahi-autoipd apparmor python cgmanager
Recommended packages:
  modemmanager network-manager-pptp network-manager-gnome
  plasma-widget-networkmanagement plasma-nm
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  frisbee
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  dnsmasq-base glib-networking glib-networking-services
  gsettings-desktop-schemas isc-dhcp-client isc-dhcp-common libgudev-1.0-0
  libmm-glib0 libnetfilter-conntrack3 libnm-glib4 libnm-util2 libpam-systemd
  libpolkit-agent-1-0 libpolkit-backend-1-0 libpolkit-gobject-1-0 libsoup2.4-1
  libsystemd-daemon0 network-manager policykit-1 resolvconf systemd-services
  systemd-shim
0 upgraded, 22 newly installed, 1 to remove and 16 not upgraded.
Need to get 3,166 kB of archives.
After this operation, 11.4 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]  
Same solution you will see installing Gnome. This is what I call having full Ubuntu packages compatibility.
Why should I keep crippled package manger just because the name is MintPup? Linux Mint 17.1 is based on Ubuntu.
Since there is not much left from mint packages in MintPup why installing official Ubuntu gnome package should be forbidden?

Toni

saintless

#15 Post by saintless »

otoshan wrote:Is it stable and safely if i comment mint repositories from /etc/apt/sources.list.d/official-package-repositories.list?
Yes. It is safe but there is no need to do it. In MintPup special Mint repo do not prevent installing any package from official Ubuntu repo. If the same package exists in Mint and Ubuntu repo - the one from ubuntu will be installed.
Can i start by default user without prompt window like root?
Yes. To autologin as user puppy change with text editor root to puppy inside /etc/init/tty1.conf, tty2.conf, tty3.conf, tty4.conf, tty5.conf, tty6.conf
Or extract the attached zip archive in /live/image/casper (where 01-filesystem.squashfs is) and reboot. The archive containes small squashfs module only with the tty* files changed for autologin as puppy.

Edit: But this squashfs will work for autologin as user only with porteus-boot.
With the official ubuntu (casper-boot) you have to use login manager or edit casper.conf inside initrd.lz changing root to puppy.
As I made the change from mint to root here.

Toni
Attachments
091-autologin-as-puppy-user.squashfs.zip
(934 Bytes) Downloaded 686 times

Moat

#16 Post by Moat »

saintless wrote: This could be the reason for some of the messages from your screenshot.

Information what is changed in case someone likes to restore the high Mint packages priority.
Thanks for the info, Toni - I will try this again, as soon as I get a chance.

I'm a real "fan" of Mint's Mate/Marco desktop environment (along with the excellent MintMenu) - it's very highly functional with plenty of useful features, can be made quite beautiful aesthetically, and is still more than reasonably light on resources - works wonderfully on my old dual-core machines. A great "middle ground" in the world of DE's, IMHO. But, of course, installing as I did above adds almost a full 1 Gb to the installed OS size. All a trade-off! :shock:

Thanks again,

Bob

wanderer

#17 Post by wanderer »

just a report

works on
acer laptop
gateway laptop
dell desktop

both from cd-rw and live usb

apt works
wired internet works
wireless works
firefox works

great job

thanks

wanderer

rcrsn51

#18 Post by rcrsn51 »

Very nice. MintPup boots easily from ISObooter.

fredx181

#19 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Toni and everyone,

*** Openbox-MintPup for testing ***

Here's a setup I made for a light openbox session.
Edit: Re-uploaded, added Wallpaper chooser (it's in the openbox-menu, "Set Wallpaper")
Dependency 'hsetroot' replaced by 'nitrogen'
Download:
https://googledrive.com/host/0ByBgCDlZZ ... tup.tar.gz

Extract the archive, it contains 2 .deb files and README-Setup file.

From README-Setup:
----------------------------------
After apt-get update :

FIRST: Install tint2_0.11+svn20121014-3_i386.deb:
This tint2 version is from Debian Jessie, the Ubuntu Trusty tint2 version is to old.

From terminal in this directory:
dpkg -i tint2_0.11+svn20121014-3_i386.deb
And:
apt-get -f install

THEN:
Install openbox-mintpup_0.0.1_i386.deb:

From terminal in this directory:
dpkg -i openbox-mintpup_0.0.1_i386.deb
And:
apt-get -f install

Total install size: around 9.5 MB

To start: Jwm menu > System > Start Openbox
To get back to Jwm from Openbox: Menu > Applications > Preferences > Start Jwm
-----------------------------------------

To add or remove icons from the left launcher panel on the desktop:
Just Add/Remove .desktop files in ~/tint2launchers and restart tint2.
(Menu > Openbox > Tint2 panel > Restart tint2)

Any suggestions to improve are very welcome!

Edit: Re-uploaded, added Wallpaper chooser (in the openbox-menu, "Set Wallpaper")
Dependency 'hsetroot' replaced by 'nitrogen'
Download:
https://googledrive.com/host/0ByBgCDlZZ ... tup.tar.gz

Fred
Attachments
mintpup-openbox.png
mintpup openbox session
(179.47 KiB) Downloaded 1201 times
Last edited by fredx181 on Sat 01 Aug 2015, 18:02, edited 2 times in total.

saintless

#20 Post by saintless »

Thanks Fred.
Added link in the first post above the iso download link.
I confirm it works for user and root from quick testing, but unfortunately I don't have time to test again all after installing OpenBox and changing all WM from user and root account. When you think it is ready for official upload in mintpup repository I will do it.

Toni