Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

READ-ONLY-MODE: PLEASE DO NOT POST NEW STUFF!
  New Forum: http://puppylinux.rockedge.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 11 Aug 2020, 14:44
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Windows 8, 8.1 and 10: How to Boot Puppy
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 5 of 5 [69 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Fanofscifi

PostPosted: Sun 14 Apr 2019, 07:16    Post subject:  

Thanks to the both of you but I think I'll follow what cthisbear said and boot with my usb stick. After all Puppy copies to ram and it's super fast and it doesn't change anything to the hard drive.

Thanks again great Puppy community
J_D_

PostPosted: Sun 08 Dec 2019, 19:16    Post subject:  

Thanks to Bigpup for telling me about Lick. Sooo easy. I did use Windows storage manager to shrink the Windows 10 partition and create 2 extra 50 gig partitions, Then I downloaded Lick and the puppy ISO and saved as documents. After that I opened Lick and installed the ISO to it. Whole thing took about 1 minute. Done. Later I went back to Lick in Windows and added a different puppy and deleted the first. No drama and all done very fast. Way faster than my old stand by LILI witch works very well.
Aparich

PostPosted: Sun 09 Feb 2020, 04:26    Post subject: Right!  

Fanofscifi wrote:
Thanks to the both of you but I think I'll follow what cthisbear said and boot with my usb stick. After all Puppy copies to ram and it's super fast and it doesn't change anything to the hard drive.

Thanks again great Puppy community

Yes, as cthisbear said booting with usb stick did the it for me. And I guess I should work for you too.
tino06

PostPosted: Sat 11 Apr 2020, 08:01    Post subject: Do you still need to deactivate secure boot on new puppylinu  

Hi all,

Do you still need to deactivate secure boot on new puppylinux versions?

Thanks in advance
Best regards(sorry for my bad english i am french)
mikeslr

PostPosted: Sat 11 Apr 2020, 11:01    Post subject:  

Hello tino06,

First, Welcome to the kennels. Very Happy
Second, NEVER APOLOGIZE FOR NOT BEING A NATIVE ENGLISH SPEAKER. Mad It makes those of us who can only speak English feel that much more incompetent. Laughing

It is always best to try out any version of Puppy by first doing a frugal install to a USB-Key. There are several good programs you install into Windows that will deploy the version of Puppy you choose to a USB-Key. Among them are our home-grown Lick, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=462720#462720, rufus, https://rufus.ie/ and --if I'm not mistaken-- the latest version of Linux Live USB-Creator, https://www.linuxliveusb.com/. If your choice of Puppy can not run on your computer from a USB-Stick, you may want to reconsider installing it to your hard-drive. Rolling Eyes

Once it is running from a USB-Stick, I suggest that you start reading toward the end of the "FrugalPup 20 - Puppy frugal installer" thread, currently here, http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1052566#1052566. Gyro, with the help of bigpup and other Puppy fans, have been working for more than a year on creating an installer which would not require secure boot to be deactivated. But, whether --as of now-- it enables that condition on your computer probably will remain a question until you try it. Please share your findings.
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sat 11 Apr 2020, 12:01    Post subject: Re: Do you still need to deactivate secure boot on new puppylinu  

Hi, tino06. And to the 'kennels'.

tino06 wrote:
Hi all,

Do you still need to deactivate secure boot on new puppylinux versions?

Thanks in advance
Best regards(sorry for my bad english i am french)

Um....essentially, yes. Despite Mikeslr's explanation above about the new installer that gyro's been working on for a while now, current Puppies still need to have the FastBoot/SecureBoot combination disabled to be able to boot in 'Legacy' mode.

The included 'efi' module allows Puppy to work with the newer, UEFI-only motherboards.

Mike. Wink

tino06

PostPosted: Sat 11 Apr 2020, 12:24    Post subject:  

Hello my friends Mike Walsh and mikeslr,
Bigs Thanks for your quikly answer.

you know if there is a website that explains how to remove the secure boot for each model that computer manufacturers have made. A very complete site which explains the procedure for all models of each brand (asus, acer, lenovo etc ...)?
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Sat 11 Apr 2020, 15:37    Post subject:  

Quote:
you know if there is a website that explains how to remove the secure boot for each model that computer manufacturers have made. A very complete site which explains the procedure for all models of each brand (asus, acer, lenovo etc ...)?

https://www.isunshare.com/windows-password/four-methods-to-access-uefi-bios-setup.html#method2
DuMar

PostPosted: Wed 29 Apr 2020, 11:33    Post subject: X not starting  

Good afternoon to you all,

Today I got my brand new Asus VivoBook with AMD ryzen3 256 + 1TB.

I'm pleased with it but also worried if it will run with Puppy Linux or not.
I decided to start using Lick, I tried it on the old (BIOS) laptop from my wife and it works out of te box.

I used the same usb stick with the same bionic iso on my new laptop.

So, I installed Lick and Bionic64 8.0 uefi. I got the blue screen at the first startup and I made the correct steps. For a moment I thought I had succes because it looked like the pup was starting up as normal. But almost at the end I got this message:

login[5521]: root login on 'tty1'
'/etc/X11/xorg.conf.udev' -> '/etc/X11/xorg.conf'

Xorg Wizard automatic has just run.
If you are reading this, then you are at the console without X running.
The usual thing now is to type 'xwin' to start X...

Typing xwin + enter gives not a single response.

At the Lick topic they say it's not lick related.

Can somebody help me with this? Thank you.
Page 5 of 5 [69 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: