Secure Cloud data has a NEW component for our use.

For discussions about security.
gcmartin

Secure Cloud data has a NEW component for our use.

#1 Post by gcmartin »

It is questionable whether this should be posted here,but it is and I tell why: Members in this community has many differing ideas (not all accurate, I might add) about internet access, websites, and cloud computing. Some are very concerned of the security component, strongly.

So this should be welcomed news for some!

There is a new method for your Cloud data that has arrive which works directly with your router. It is made available to anyone, this week. See this report.

Your data, your Cloud, your control, Secure. Access from your LAN PCs, smartPhones/tables, devices, etc.

@Rcrsn51 alluded, earlier this year, that he had made a package which allows a PUP to become a router under YOUR control. But, this was NEVER made public. It is ever becomes Public and is coupled with this solution, it becomes the ultimate for users to directly manage security as they see fit with an ever increasing user knowledge and user controls.

Scooby

#2 Post by Scooby »

I think I am getting old since I do not se any use in this lima device

Maybe I don't use computers like the younglings??

I sometimes feel like this is like a electric drinkmixer.
useless.

The user gets dumber and dumber and lazier and lazier.

Maybe it was like this for my old man when I wanted
to exchange his beloved VHS for a DVD??

tlchost

Re: Secure Cloud data has a NEW component for our use.

#3 Post by tlchost »

gcmartin wrote: See this report.

Your data, your Cloud, your control, Secure. Access from your LAN PCs, smartPhones/tables, devices, etc.
Read the comments posted...perhaps the folks making them are in a different circle.

starhawk

#4 Post by starhawk »

Ah yes, the next big nothingburger. Yawn.

Remind me why I bothered to click that link?

tlchost

#5 Post by tlchost »

starhawk wrote:Ah yes, the next big nothingburger. Yawn.

Remind me why I bothered to click that link?
Or why you even read this thread ? I appreciate the comic relief of the Great Circle Communications.

starhawk

#6 Post by starhawk »

Good point, tlchost, especially given the author.

gc, are you ever going to meet a technology that doesn't make you react like a Golden Retriever who just saw his favorite person for the first time in a week? (Spoiler -- I highly doubt it.)

gcmartin

#7 Post by gcmartin »

You might want to address what the opening post tries to inspire. Let me rephrase it a little better for your understanding: "Can you see benefit in having YOUR data in YOUR cloud?"

This is one approach that is being presented there. In that post there are 2 alluded to.

You may know of others; and certainly others which can produce objectives beneficial to Puppylanders, inexpensively and in many cases without cost using stuff in the house via a router mechanism.

Any ideas of ability that you think can be achieved from anyone helps community home users to manage, contain, and control elements in the home without having or needing to pay/release control to upstream operators.

An example that I was hoping to see is a clear disadvantage expressed that exist in having your own cloud: Disadvantage: potential cost of data hosted by your personal cloud when made available outside of your own location. This would exist if you have a data cap especially if you offer a distro available from your home cloud.

There are, of course, advantages and disadvantages, present.

"If you focus your attention on the messenger, you miss the message." If you see neither advantage or disadvantage to use of this type of technology, why post to the thread?

starhawk

#8 Post by starhawk »

It's not an advantage/disadvantage thing... it's that I don't see the point.

This thing you're enthralled with would've been novel two years ago. Maybe. But even the comments on its own page that you linked to say that it's redundant. Did you see that? Plug computers already do what this contraption does.

The further problem is that nobody gives a **** about plug computers. I don't know anyone who has them... not because my social life is kind of small but because the group of people who actually have and use those things is statistically within the margin of error.

What frustrates me, more than anything, is watching you vehemently throw your time, energy, and optimism away playing Town Crier about what has to be nearly every single new tech concept that Gizmodo, Engadget, etc collectively spit out. I can't keep track of them all, except to say that so far it's a shut-out game for your side. Literally none of these things have changed anyone's life ever in any significant way. Capisce?

Every. Single. Time. you have posted something about some newfangled gadget or technology that's gonna be The Next Big Thing That Changes Everyone Ever -- you are completely wrong. Don't you get tired of that? Or are you so overenthusiastic that you simply cannot see it?

You want the future? Buy an Intel Compute Stick or one of the Win8.1+Bing Mini PCs and Stick PCs that are all over eBay right now. Not interactive enough for you? I have a WYSE thin client that fits in the large velcro knee pocket of my cargo pants. Get one (it's a WYSE C90LEW, they're easy to find) and stuff it with a two gig RAM stick, a 1.8" IDE SSD of sufficiently entertaining size, and a copy of Windows 7 (currently, Puppy will not run a GUI on that hardware; there's a chipset incompatibility) -- or run Puppy text-only or headless.

That's the future, as far as I can tell: stuffing the computery bits into smaller and smaller boxes. It's rather boring and bland, and there's no flying cars, memristors, or holographic storage involved -- but For Pete's Sakes, it's at least real and happening.

Ground yourself, dude, you're gonna float away one of these days if you don't...

gcmartin

#9 Post by gcmartin »

For @Starhawk
Listen, here's the point. READ THE OPENING POST!

What are you? Some sort of "crier" whose mission it is going around poopoo on things you didn't create on your own. Personally I did NOT endorse the product. I bring awareness.

I post items that I feel "some" would find of interest.

If you are NOT that some, get out of the room complaining that you dont like my postings. Leave and see who else would even care.

If you are here to share what corresponding technology exist, then share what you know and how it works to community advantage. The opening post shows 2 options that are alluded. You complain showing NOTHING! Complain, complain, complain. Whew!

Even if you know of how this has a flaw or disadvantage, that is NOT shared by you either. Just complain. Wow!

My immediately prior post was NOT directed at you. I did not even have you in mind when it was posted. But, if you felt somehow that it did, OH WELL.

Sorry you thought it was about you. BTW: I very aware of router solutions and I beta tested the "Stick". So you want someone to acknowledge bragging rights to compare with. This post is NOT about me or about who has the biggest stick...betting mine is much bigger! :lol: But, that not the point. Its about "Secure Data Under User Controls".

How about you give it a rest and allow others the opportunity. :idea:

For the rest of us
I has always felt that taking responsibility for the data that we create or is created by devices/smartDevices we own, is a tantamount. And managing it securely is also key. Its important to know options that can help user achieve the level of security as best we can.

Bindee

#10 Post by Bindee »

I'm starting to wonder if some people think that the evening news presenters on TV personally endorse the news that they read out. :P

starhawk

#11 Post by starhawk »

Some folks you just can't help.

Maybe someday we'll both learn some restraint...

...not likely.

Bindee

#12 Post by Bindee »

LOL , you are funny. :mrgreen:

How does getting your panties in a twist help the News story?

:wink: :P

starhawk

#13 Post by starhawk »

This isn't news. This is nothing. It is relevant to absolutely nobody. This supposed scoop affects zero percent of everyone in any positive way at all, with the one single exception of the Kickstarter backers not getting entirely ripped off (although, I have to say, what they're winding up with at this point is rather small consolation IMO). The functionality provided by these devices is duplicated gratuitously in other equipment -- equipment that literally almost nobody buys as it is. (Does PogoPlug even exist as a company anymore?)

The closest you'd get to this hardware that is in any sense at all 'popular' (and even then only really on a technicality) would be hard drive docks. I'm pretty sure people actually buy those...

*ahem*

It's very frustrating to me, as I said, to see these supposedly-news-but-actually-nothing threads happen over and over again. Even seeing the title there gets me kind of irritated at this point TBH. I think to myself, when is this guy gonna wake up? Can't help it, sorry. I have zero tolerance for this kind of crap from anyone else, too, I can tell you that. Never been one to suffer fools... of any kind.

Bindee

#14 Post by Bindee »

Search Youtube for "cloud relaxation".

:wink: :P

bark_bark_bark

#15 Post by bark_bark_bark »

starhawk wrote:This isn't news. This is nothing. It is relevant to absolutely nobody. This supposed scoop affects zero percent of everyone in any positive way at all, with the one single exception of the Kickstarter backers not getting entirely ripped off (although, I have to say, what they're winding up with at this point is rather small consolation IMO). The functionality provided by these devices is duplicated gratuitously in other equipment -- equipment that literally almost nobody buys as it is. (Does PogoPlug even exist as a company anymore?)

The closest you'd get to this hardware that is in any sense at all 'popular' (and even then only really on a technicality) would be hard drive docks. I'm pretty sure people actually buy those...

*ahem*

It's very frustrating to me, as I said, to see these supposedly-news-but-actually-nothing threads happen over and over again. Even seeing the title there gets me kind of irritated at this point TBH. I think to myself, when is this guy gonna wake up? Can't help it, sorry. I have zero tolerance for this kind of crap from anyone else, too, I can tell you that. Never been one to suffer fools... of any kind.
100% agree.

rcrsn51

Re: Secure Cloud data has a NEW component for our use.

#16 Post by rcrsn51 »

gcmartin wrote:@Rcrsn51 alluded, earlier this year, that he had made a package which allows a PUP to become a router under YOUR control. But, this was NEVER made public. It is ever becomes Public and is coupled with this solution, it becomes the ultimate for users to directly manage security as they see fit with an ever increasing user knowledge and user controls.
That statement is complete garbage.

1. There is ZERO connection between RouterMaker and this device. It's beyond me how anyone could come to that conclusion.

2. There is nothing magic about RouterMaker. There are other projects around the forum that do the same thing. If gcmartin wants to kick-start some super-duper home server project, he should choose one of those tools. In fact, share-internet would be a superior framework because it has a built-in firewall, which RouterMaker does not.

3. Why would someone promote this device as the "ultimate" solution for Puppy users when it is clearly inferior to setting up a Samba server. That is abundantly obvious from reading its specs.

8Geee

#17 Post by 8Geee »

I do agree with many of these points. If all I needed was puppy and the secure cloud, I would have no need for an X-terabyte drive. But I would need ADSL or CATV or WiFi to transfer things around. And thats where the word insecure creeps in, such as Man-in-the-Browser, Man-in-the-Middle, and Third-Party-certs-on-my-behalf (ISP as Man-in-the-Middle) causing a large problem. All those "secure" sites with a black lock are not the same as those with the green bar. Caveat Emptor
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

gcmartin

#18 Post by gcmartin »

I wrote:@Rcrsn51 alluded, earlier this year, that he had made a package which allows a PUP to become a router under YOUR control. ...
Since this package was never made public allowing forum membership to collectively participate and evaluate it, I must agree with @Rcrsn51, as he is the his package developer and he doesn't see a method on using this kind of technology on his package.

But, the article infers that their Cloud Service device works as a kind of node on the router. It appears to provide both in-home and internet controls for user management of data in a personal cloud versus the public ones. Every phone user, that I am aware, have their pics/movies uploaded to a public cloud for convenience. There is nothing that would prevent the phone from directing those, for example, to a home Cloud for access in or out of the home. There are other examples of sensible data management via a cloud.

Again, this news brings to light that there ARE solutions bringing awareness of methods to manage our in-home data.

As @Rcrsn51 suggest, there are some Puppy subsystem/systems that can afford similar kinds of services on our home networks which also interfaces with the Internet.

Maybe even his next such project, should there be a follow-on, will be made for public access via a cloud with a thread dedicated to it.

I am sure, my use of the internet is much like everyone of us. It has grown considerably. In fact, I can use applications and manage data as fast via the internet, today, given its speed to my home/phone, as I was able to do things locally on the old PCs of decade or 2 ago.

And with the decade old PCs I still have, much has changed in how things are done, even though the things to be done have not.

tlchost

#19 Post by tlchost »

[quote="gcmartin"
I am sure, my use of the internet is much like everyone of us. It has grown considerably.[/quote]

Masterful statement of the obvious.

Burn_IT

#20 Post by Burn_IT »

"cloud relaxation".

It is called pissing on everybody's party - RAIN
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett