Hi John
Thank you for all that you do.
It is greatly appreciated.

Best Regards
John

Mike Walsh

#17 Post by Mike Walsh »

Still waiting for mikeb to chime in with "Yes!!! FINALLY..." :lol:

Thanks for all the work you've put in, John.....and for continuing to host the Puppy Forums. It's very much appreciated.

Regards,

Mike. :)

BTW: Just out of curiosity, what's happened to the Flash ad in the top right corner? I believe some people reckoned it gave them occasional rendering/connection problems..?

cthisbear

#18 Post by cthisbear »

" I had to re-import the database thus loosing about a dozen posts
made since the upgrade. "

"""""""""

Thank goodness I posted no rants while this evil was happening.

As usual Big John....many thanks for this great forum...

Cheers....Chris.

Jasper

#19 Post by Jasper »

JohnMurga, wrote earlier today, 19 Jly 2015,

Basically I have had to hack my way around a couple of issues running the forum software on modern PHP, some to do with code issues, others to do with character encoding.
------------------------------
In case it may be of relevant interest: in Nov 2012 I, Jasper, had a problem (fixed today) with Dillo failing to properly display some characters e.g. the apostophe ‘, double quote marks “

Argolance

#20 Post by Argolance »

Thanks for all the work you've put in, John.....and for continuing to host the Puppy Forums. It's very much appreciated.
Yes indeed!

Cordialement.

musher0

#21 Post by musher0 »

Thanks, John.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

prehistoric

#22 Post by prehistoric »

My thanks to John as well. Nobody finds it easy to maintain web sites any more, especially not the U.S. Office of Personnel Management.

And, how about this hack?

Now that the change is over John could change the title to "Shift Happens!"

step

#23 Post by step »

New server issue? Since the upgrade I haven't received any PM and watched thread email notifications. This includes postings and PMs through July 20 inclusive. Can't say anything conclusive about July 21, so far. Is anyone else getting email notifications?
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Fatdog64-810[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/hqZtiB]+Packages[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/6dbEzT]Kodi[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/JQC4Vz]gtkmenuplus[/url]

kjdixo

Server Change . . . Feedback

#24 Post by kjdixo »

Thanks for upgrading the forum website.
I visited today to see whether you were back online and instantly noticed the improvement in speed.
Much snappier, this might cause some people to click more links just for the thrill of experiencing the speed and ease of it all. :D

step

Re-tune your email spam filters [SOLVED]

#25 Post by step »

Since the server upgrade email notification from the forum go into the spam basket of my GMAIL inbox. Before the server upgrade email from murgalinux.com never went into the spam basket.

So people might need to re-tune their spam filters.
step wrote:New server issue? Since the upgrade I haven't received any PM and watched thread email notifications. This includes postings and PMs through July 20 inclusive. Can't say anything conclusive about July 21, so far. Is anyone else getting email notifications?
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Fatdog64-810[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/hqZtiB]+Packages[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/6dbEzT]Kodi[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/JQC4Vz]gtkmenuplus[/url]

JohnMurga
Site Admin

Re: Re-tune your email spam filters [SOLVED]

#26 Post by JohnMurga »

Hey,
Mike Walsh wrote:BTW: Just out of curiosity, what's happened to the Flash ad in the top right corner? I believe some people reckoned it gave them occasional rendering/connection problems..?
It was removed ...

They had not paid out for a long time, but their sponsorship was effectively funding the forum for the last few years. The war chest run out, so it was time to remove the ad and co-host the forum with some of my other stuff, which makes it much cheaper to run :-P
step wrote:So people might need to re-tune their spam filters.
Sorry, I was not expecting that, and it doesn't happen with me ...
But you appear to be correct, I have had a few reports.

Cheers
JohnM

Mike Walsh

Re: Re-tune your email spam filters [SOLVED]

#27 Post by Mike Walsh »

JohnMurga wrote:Hey,
Mike Walsh wrote:BTW: Just out of curiosity, what's happened to the Flash ad in the top right corner? I believe some people reckoned it gave them occasional rendering/connection problems..?
It was removed ...

They had not paid out for a long time, but their sponsorship was effectively funding the forum for the last few years. The war chest run out, so it was time to remove the ad and co-host the forum with some of my other stuff, which makes it much cheaper to run : :-P:
Ahh. A light dawns...

Fair comment. I must say, I agree with kjdixo, above. The increase in responsiveness is quite astonishing. It was always fairly quick before (at least for me), but now.....it's almost instantaneous.

I like it. Thanks again, John.

Regards,

Mike.

tallboy

#28 Post by tallboy »

Dear JohnMurga, thank you for hosting this fantastic forum. I think it is one of the best forums online, ever, period!
There are of course some wild speculations from time to time on who you are (your REAL identity! 8) ), but I think the bottom line is that your appearance is very much appreciated. I really wish that you will visit the forum more often., and please comment on things you think we can do better.

tallboy
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

Dingo

#29 Post by Dingo »

however, due to its vital value for puppy community, I would recommend an html dump of whole forum (without, obviously, passwords and other login data that are stored in database) shared via torrent

this html dump, for obvious reasons, can be made only by the forum owner
replace .co.cc with .info to get access to stuff I posted in forum
dropbox 2GB free
OpenOffice for Puppy Linux

Fossil

#30 Post by Fossil »

John. A very sincere 'Thank You' for this forum. I can only echo the sentiments of all the other forum members; this is an excellent example of worldwide cooperation from many different people - and you know who you are! :lol:
A side-effect of the update: on a slow broadband connection, the speed gain is very noticeable.

oui

#31 Post by oui »

Thank you very much, John!

a short report to you:

the sending from messages / holding of sended messages (also to YOU) seems don't to work. Sendbox and outbox have very different contents...

a lot of subdivisions have a lot of sticky thread being absolutely not actual any more. much of those thread are reserved "only for VIP people" and content

nothing.

divers moderators appears rarely on the "surface" of that forum, did grow along the years, have family and professional responsibilities and no time actually any more for Puppy.

but it goes also so...

the only one / main problem are those completely moronic stickies!

please

ERASE THE FUNCTION STICKY IN THAT FORUM IF YOU DON´T WANT TO CONTROL/GOVERN IT!

many thanks

your

oui

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#32 Post by Flash »

I'm afraid I'm to blame for the sticky situation the forum is in. :oops:

slavvo67

#33 Post by slavvo67 »

Don't worry, Flash (John), Flash.... We appreciate all you do!

Best,

Slavvo67

MochiMoppel

#34 Post by MochiMoppel »

I wonder if anyone noticed the forum's 10th birthday in May.
Apparently it all started here with post No.2. What happened to post No.1? First spam?

Anyway: Happy birthday and thanks!
MM

JohnMurga
Site Admin

#35 Post by JohnMurga »

Thanks for all the appreciation :D

The forum was a bit laggy ...
This was due to a couple of issues with the config.

I think I have addressed the issues and will check again in the evening.

Enjoy ;-)

Cheers
JohnM