X-Slacko-4.4 with Xfce

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
rg66

#941 Post by rg66 »

rcrsn51 wrote:I am reluctant to become involved in this issue because other Puppy builders have shown no interest in it. But here goes.

1. I build hplip_print/scan with an old version of Puppy that ensures maximum backwards compatibility. But it needs genuine libjpeg7. A symlink to libjpeg8 will NOT work. I could start building a parallel version for new Puppies, but I am disinclined to do so.

2. Certain recent versions of CUPS were built against ipv6 and networked printers cannot be detected unless it is loaded. So the patch PET loads it automatically though rc.local. However, I may have seen a comment somewhere that ipv6 interferes with the new firewall.

3. The patch PET also contains some stuff needed by Peasyscan, which has now disappeared from Puppy builds.
1. I could add libjpeg7 and symlink but not sure if it will break something.

2. The firewall is enough of a nightmare without adding more headache, but I will load ipv6 module and test.

3. What exactly is needed for peasyscan, libgphoto links?
X-slacko-5b1 - X-tahr-2.0 - X-precise-2.4
[url=http://smokey01.com/rg66/]X-series repo[/url]

rg66

#942 Post by rg66 »

Some quick testing with ipv6 and firewall.

Loading ipv6 module doesn't seem to affect the firewall, although I just tested samba and ftp. It does kill netmon_wce applet though. Running from cli gives:

Code: Select all

# netmon_wce
Segmentation fault

rg66

#943 Post by rg66 »

Back to the firewall, I think i've sorted it.

since udp and tcp outbound are open

(iptables-save output)
-A tcp_outbound -p tcp -j ACCEPT
-A udp_outbound -p udp -j ACCEPT

it doesn't make sense to have:

iptables -A udp_inbound -p UDP -s 0/0 --destination-port 137 -j ACCEPT
iptables -A udp_inbound -p UDP -s 0/0 --destination-port 138 -j ACCEPT

changing all samba ports (137,138 udp 139,445 tcp) to --source-port fixes the netbios issue and servers show up in thunar.

Not sure about CUPS as I don't have a printer hooked up to test with.

01micko

#944 Post by 01micko »

rg66 wrote:Some quick testing with ipv6 and firewall.

Loading ipv6 module doesn't seem to affect the firewall, although I just tested samba and ftp. It does kill netmon_wce applet though. Running from cli gives:

# netmon_wce
Segmentation fault
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 372#855372

20160120 netmon_wce-3.1 
----------------------- 
support ipv6 
 -full rewrite of struct iface_info get_info() 
 -added additional headers 
 -call getnameinfo() instead of directly accessing the sockets 
 -code cleanup 
remove the puppyism patch. I might make a separate package. 
---------------------------------------------

Marv wrote:I never did get thunar to connect using the samba server netbios name with the firewall on. Looked at iptables and all the ports samba wants are open but it is dropping the netbios info and I don't want to mess with the firewall. My workaround (I like it because it's one click access and looks the same in PCManFM) is to add a bookmark in /root/.config/gtk-3.0/bookmarks. Mine is: smb://192.168.10.14/. My router is set to allocate IPs by mac address so the core machines are effectively static. Thunar won't let you rightclick and add it cause it's not local so...
Here is a solution, but I'm not going to make it default.

# allow netbios name resolution for Samba
$IPT -A udp_inbound -p UDP -s 0/0 --destination-port 137 -j ACCEPT
$IPT -A udp_inbound -p UDP -s 0/0 --destination-port 138 -j ACCEPT
Directly under those lines add this:

$IPT -A udp_outbound -p UDP -s 0/0 --destination-port 137 -j ACCEPT
$IPT -A udp_outbound -p UDP -s 0/0 --destination-port 138 -j ACCEPT
If you grab the latest firewall_ng from woof there is ability to add custom ports.

--------------------------------------------------
rcrsn51 wrote:However, I may have seen a comment somewhere that ipv6 interferes with the new firewall.
Link please? My research suggests we need a separate firewall for ip6tables if ipv6 is loaded.(Can supply links upon request).

-------------------------------------------------
rg66 wrote:-A tcp_outbound -p tcp -j ACCEPT
I wouldn't do that.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

rg66

#945 Post by rg66 »

01micko wrote: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 372#855372

20160120 netmon_wce-3.1 
----------------------- 
support ipv6 
 -full rewrite of struct iface_info get_info() 
 -added additional headers 
 -call getnameinfo() instead of directly accessing the sockets 
 -code cleanup 
remove the puppyism patch. I might make a separate package. 
Thanks, will add this to the next build.
01micko wrote:Here is a solution, but I'm not going to make it default.

# allow netbios name resolution for Samba
$IPT -A udp_inbound -p UDP -s 0/0 --destination-port 137 -j ACCEPT
$IPT -A udp_inbound -p UDP -s 0/0 --destination-port 138 -j ACCEPT
Directly under those lines add this:

$IPT -A udp_outbound -p UDP -s 0/0 --destination-port 137 -j ACCEPT
$IPT -A udp_outbound -p UDP -s 0/0 --destination-port 138 -j ACCEPT
If you grab the latest firewall_ng from woof there is ability to add custom ports.
Added those lines and it didn't make any difference, will checkout latest.
rg66 wrote:-A tcp_outbound -p tcp -j ACCEPT
01micko wrote:I wouldn't do that.
I didn't, firewall_ng did that.

01micko

#946 Post by 01micko »

rg66 wrote: iptables -A udp_inbound -p UDP -s 0/0 --destination-port 137 -j ACCEPT
iptables -A udp_inbound -p UDP -s 0/0 --destination-port 138 -j ACCEPT

changing all samba ports (137,138 udp 139,445 tcp) to --source-port fixes the netbios issue and servers show up in thunar.
I don't know why it isn't working (in Thunar) with --destination but using --source with 0/0 is asking for trouble.

Perhaps the script (firewall_ng) should be more intelligent and detect the subnet, but then there are those that complain that they can't build the firewall before they make a net connection! How do you figure out the subnet then? Chook and egg :roll:

rg66

#947 Post by rg66 »

Even YASSM won't connect with netbios name with firewall enabled and samba ports open using -dport.

firewall off

nmblookup win7
IP=192.168.1.101
SHARE=Data
mount.cifs //192.168.1.101/Data /root/YASSM/Data@win7 -o username=rg,password=
'[' 0 -eq 0 -o 0 -eq 16 ']'
rox /root/YASSM/Data@win7
rox -x /root/YASSM/Data@win7

# nmblookup win7
192.168.1.101 win7<00>
firewall on

nmblookup win7
IP=name_query
SHARE=Data
mount.cifs //name_query/Data /root/YASSM/Data@win7 -o username=rg,password=
'[' 1 -eq 0 -o 1 -eq 16 ']'
gettext 'No connection to'
Xdialog --title YASSM --msgbox 'No connection to Data!' 0 0

# nmblookup win7
name_query failed to find name win7
iptables-save (snip)

-A tcp_inbound -p tcp -m tcp --dport 139 -j ACCEPT
-A tcp_inbound -p tcp -m tcp --dport 445 -j ACCEPT
-A udp_inbound -p udp -m udp --sport 67 --dport 68 -j ACCEPT
-A udp_inbound -p udp -m udp --dport 137 -j ACCEPT
-A udp_inbound -p udp -m udp --dport 138 -j ACCEP

rcrsn51

#948 Post by rcrsn51 »

rg66 wrote:Even YASSM won't connect with netbios name with firewall enabled and samba ports open using -dport.
When using YASSM with the old firewall, the standard procedure was to declare the local subnet as "trusted". Philosophically, this makes sense because you are trusting other local users to access your Samba shares.

rg66

#949 Post by rg66 »

01micko wrote:I don't know why it isn't working (in Thunar) with --destination but using --source with 0/0 is asking for trouble.

Will it be worse than not using the firewall at all?
rcrsn51 wrote:When using YASSM with the old firewall, the standard procedure was to declare the local subnet as "trusted". Philosophically, this makes sense because you are trusting other local users to access your Samba shares.
I will add the latest firewall_ng but leave it as is. For my personal use, if I even use it, I will edit it to add "-s 192.168.1.0/24 -sport 137" etc.

gcmartin

#950 Post by gcmartin »

@RG66, you @01Micko, and @Rcrsn51 are addressing something similarly. That subnet is important for setting definition within the F/W. Thus to set iptables, both timing of the ethernet connects and correct statics in iptables configuration are related for F/W. Not to mention the multiple LAN adapters a PC can have ...

But, as mentioned, there may be a need to process ipv4/ipv6 a little different than present.

On the F/W settings after desktop and DHCP setup, I see that problem. My subnet is 23, NOT 24 on a ipv4 network.

01micko

#951 Post by 01micko »

Ok, I've added a separate entry for Samba Client in firewall_ng.

I just tested this pfix=ram on xslacko-4b1

here are the rules that get written.

# allow netbios name resolution for Samba client
$IPT -A udp_inbound -p UDP -s 192.168.1.0/24 --source-port 137 -m state --state NEW,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
$IPT -A udp_inbound -p UDP -s 192.168.1.0/24 --source-port 138 -m state --state NEW,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
$IPT -A tcp_inbound -p TCP -s 192.168.1.0/24 --source-port 139 -m state --state NEW,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
$IPT -A tcp_inbound -p TCP -s 192.168.1.0/24 --source-port 445 -m state --state NEW,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
The subnet is worked out programatically with a ip and route routine that should work if you are on a large network, even if it has been subnetted, but only for that subnet. I can't test that right now but if the busybox programs work as expected then there shouldn't be a problem.

Here is a small script demonstrating:

#!/bin/bash

#uses bashisms

while read -r dest gateway genmask flags metric ref use face;do
	case $dest in
		default)iface=$face
		;;
	esac
	case $face in
		$iface)
		case $dest in
			[0-9]*.[0-9]*.[0-9]*.[0-9]*)host=$dest # very lazy regex
			break;;
		esac
		;;
	esac
done < <(busybox route)

while read -r inet subnet rest;do
	case $inet in
		inet)sub=${subnet#*/} && break;;
	esac		
done < <(busybox ip addr show $iface)
echo ${host}/${sub}
echo $iface
There is no checking just yet for not being connected so the variables will have null values if there is no connection. When I figure out the best way to handle this I'll upload it to woof-ce. EDIT - fixed by way of a popup explaining that the firewall will need to be reconfigured after establishing a network connection.

Attached is the latest firewall_ng script with above improvements. This one also has the button for adding custom rules.

Thanks for your help rg66.

----
gcmartin wrote:My subnet is 23, NOT 24 on a ipv4 network.
Well you are a prime candidate to test the new script then. :shock: Should pick up whatever subnet and host address. (which for the benefit of others, isn't always xxx.xxx.xxx.0).
Attachments
firewall_ng.gz
# gunzip firewall_ng.gz
# chmod 755 firewall_ng
# cp -af firewall_ng /usr/sbin/
(11.48 KiB) Downloaded 145 times

rg66

#952 Post by rg66 »

This one is confirmed to work, thank's 01micko.

I've tried similar things with limited success:
\$IPT -A udp_inbound -p UDP -s 192.168.1.0/24 -m conntrack --ctstate NEW --dport 137 -j ACCEPT
\$IPT -A udp_inbound -p UDP -s 192.168.1.0/24 -m conntrack --ctstate NEW,ESTABLISHED --dport 137 -j ACCEPT

and a bunch more that didn't completely work, I finally went back to:
-s 192.168.1.0/24 --sport 137 -j ACCEPT

I found a few websites that said -m state is depreciated and to use "-m conntrack --ctstate", but not sure if it really matters as state seems to work.

ESTABLISHED might be redundant as line 1097 has:
\$IPT -A INPUT -p ALL $IOPT -m conntrack --ctstate ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
which seems to work if a connection is made before enabling the firewall, will test this again but not sure if it matters.

Edit: Mixed results, best left as is. Thanks!

Marv

#953 Post by Marv »

01micko wrote:Ok, I've added a separate entry for Samba Client in firewall_ng.

Attached is the latest firewall_ng script with above improvements. This one also has the button for adding custom rules.
Detecting my /24 subnet correctly and working well on X-slacko 4b1 here. Thanks for the welcome addition and sorry for starting this go-round. A note for testers with savefiles: Delete the old /root/.config/firewall/fw.conf before testing or it will abort.
Edit: Also tested in LxPupSc 16.03.4. As expected, works fine there also, both with Go>Network and entering smb: in PCManFM.

Thanks rg66 and 01micko.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

rg66

#954 Post by rg66 »

X-slacko-4b2 delta is available

http://smokey01.com/rg66/X-slacko/testing

Should be the last beta :roll:

Marv

#955 Post by Marv »

rg66 wrote:X-slacko-4b2 delta is available
Quicktest: Delta downloaded and applied. md5sum on iso generated correct. Installed pristine frugal Grub4Dos to core 2 duo laptop. Net and firewall set up smoothly with SNS. Allowing samba client makes shares acessable directly through Network in thunar sidepane (netbios name working). Set up networked HP4500 printer using my patched hplip 3.14.10 pet ( I put the /usr/lib/libjpeg.so.7.0 and the libjpeg.so.7 symlink to it in the hplip pet) with no problems. I haven't found anything that that pair breaks but my usage is relatively limited. Posting from firefox in the pristine install now. I'll update the cleaned 4b1 savefile next.

edit: Up (pristine frugal) on the Bay Trail box also, samba shares served with trusted network. Savefiles on both carefully cleaned and updated. Both machines running well, timesharing with LxPupSc 16.03.6 on both.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

rg66

#956 Post by rg66 »

X-slacko-4.0 will most likely be released by the weekend at the latest. I'll probably go with the Tahr-6.0.5 3.14.56 PAE kernel. I will not be releasing a Non-PAE version as the forcepae boot option is suppost to be working (Marv, can you confirm this?) and basically only 400Mhz Pentium-M are effected.

Marv

#957 Post by Marv »

rg66 wrote:X-slacko-4.0 will most likely be released by the weekend at the latest. I'll probably go with the Tahr-6.0.5 3.14.56 PAE kernel. I will not be releasing a Non-PAE version as the forcepae boot option is suppost to be working (Marv, can you confirm this?) and basically only 400Mhz Pentium-M are effected.
Took a little while as lots of reboots involved on a pretty slow lappie. Sorry to say the 3.14.56 PAE kernel used in Tahr-6.0.5 does not have that patch enabled so it will not be able to boot on the Pentium Ms. Not a big deal in my opinion as kernel swapping is pretty simple.
The kernels that I just checked for the patch and that passed ordered from newest to oldest are:

4.4.6-lxpup-32-pae ...............from LxPupSc 16.03.5
4.4.1-Emsee-32-pae-rt3 ........from LxPupSc 16.03.?
3.17.7-pae ..........................from TahrPup 6.0
3.15.4 ................................from TahrPup 5.8.3
3.14.20-pae-update-tahr ......was a staple of mine for quite a long time

Posting from 4b2 running the 4.4.6 kernel on a Pentium M 725 series processor now. I have run the 4.4.1 on this laptop for days to a week with no issues to date.

rg66

#958 Post by rg66 »

Thanks for testing Marv, my pentium M lappy died some time ago (ran for 10 years, not bad).

These days I doubt too many people are running Non-PAE CPU's and as you say, kernel swaps are a piece of cake. Are you the only one still running an M? :wink:

Marv

#959 Post by Marv »

rg66 wrote:Thanks for testing Marv, my pentium M lappy died some time ago (ran for 10 years, not bad).

These days I doubt too many people are running Non-PAE CPU's and as you say, kernel swaps are a piece of cake. Are you the only one still running an M? :wink:
At this point I wish I weren't as they are pretty CPU-power limited for todays browsers but they absolutely refuse to die or even waver, people are using them, all running either 3.1n or 1b3 on CF cards super reliably, and I can't make myself toss them. The Fujitsu S62xx series was a jewel! I am sniffing around a couple more of their core 2 duo descendents and if I get them at least 2 of the Pentium Ms will go beyond. Eons ago at work I screwed an early IBM laptop I had outgrown to a wall and used it to display the output of an electronic balance with a bad display. Brought groans and comments about my ancestry but worked and the numbers were BIG.

Cheers,

rg66

#960 Post by rg66 »

Lol, got two of the Pentium-M's working! One needed the LCD replaced and the other had the power button stuck so it killed itself (the third needs a keyboard which I doubt I'll find here). The kids each have one now so no more fighting over the shared computer. :D