X-Slacko-4.4 with Xfce

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Marv

sns & firewall comments and question

#921 Post by Marv »

Just fiddling. Basically it is working very well here.

These are all really slacko 6.3.0 related, but that's what we're working in so..
1: 01micko has made major inprovements in how sns and firewall_ng work together. The updates for both scripts are in woof-CE and might forestall questions on that. Checked and they run fine in this X-slacko. You may want to stick close to 6.3.0 ; then just ignore this.
2: A port question. With the firewall off, thunar immediately sees my samba server by name. No IP address required, just the passwork. Slick. With the firewall on, even with the holes in it for Samba and CUPS, the server does not appear under Network places, though accessing it via the IP address works correctly. I should know what port to open but I don't. Any pointers?
3: Just a heads up. IF a user installs yassm AND uses it to connect to samba shares, /etc/init.d/frisbee.sh will prevent shutdown if any samba shares are still open (it kills the network before the shutdown script can unmount the shares). Commenting out line 113 fixes that for wired connections but for wireless, line 112 should be commented out also. That fix will be in the next frisbee release.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

rg66

#922 Post by rg66 »

Hey Marv,

1: Ya, I've been following woof updates for the most part. Updates will be done eventually.

2: For Simple File Sharing, I opened 135/TCP, 137/UDP, 138/UDP, 139/TCP and 445/TCP.

3: Most slacko based fixes will be down the road. This is a preliminary bug fix release so Geoffrey and I can get the major stuff.

Thanks for testing, I will add everything to my todo list.
X-slacko-5b1 - X-tahr-2.0 - X-precise-2.4
[url=http://smokey01.com/rg66/]X-series repo[/url]

rg66

#923 Post by rg66 »

X-slacko-4a3

I've uploaded a 4a2 > 4a3 delta. Next release will most likely be 4b1 full ISO, hopefully on the weekend. :?:

http://smokey01.com/rg66/X-slacko/testing

Marv

#924 Post by Marv »

4a2-3 delta downloaded and applied. Md5sum checked, installed frugal to BayTrail (Intel j1900 processor, wired ethernet) NAS box. Totally uneventful install, samba server up, usual panel and look'n'feel set up. My only change in themes now is to make the scrollbar in the soothe theme slightly wider (20 instead of 15) for my old self. Played with flat-remix icons on the laptop. Haven't broken it yet :)

Edit: Still trying. It runs very well with the 4.4.5 kernel from the most recent LxPupSc. glxgears up a skosh, cpu use down a skosh on the core 2 duo.

-Version-
Kernel : Linux 4.4.5-lxpup-32-pae (i686)
Version : #1 SMP Mon Mar 14 12:07:37 GMT-8 2016
C Library : GNU C Library version 2.17 (stable)
Distribution : Slacko Puppy - 6.3.0
-Current Session-
Computer Name : Puppy-PC
User Name : root (root)
Home Directory : /root
Desktop Environment : XFCE 4
-Misc-
Uptime : 3 hours 13 minutes
Load Average : 0.02, 0.05, 0.10
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

Sage

#925 Post by Sage »

X-slacko-4a3:
Always was a winner! Had some minor glitches with bad burns and delta conversions, but running very well now. Last of the best for 32bit landfill avoidance. Thanks, folks.

rg66

#926 Post by rg66 »

X-slacko-4b1 ISO uploaded (thanks Geoffrey!), there is also a 4a3 > 4b1 delta.

http://smokey01.com/rg66/X-slacko/testing

Running smoothly so far!

Sage

#927 Post by Sage »

A 'mini' version would be invaluable for boards not capable of carrying loadsa memory.

rg66

#928 Post by rg66 »

Sage wrote:A 'mini' version would be invaluable for boards not capable of carrying loadsa memory.
Did a quick test and removing firefox, samba, and a bunch of other apps only reduced the sfs by 20mb. Would have to remove xfce to make much more of a difference, then you'd be left with slacko-6.3 :wink:

Sage

#929 Post by Sage »

left with slacko-6.3
Fair comment! No 'cake-and-eat-it' then...

gcmartin

#930 Post by gcmartin »

I'm happy as it sits. Looks good. Thanks for your work. Downloading beta now.

Is this distro PAE aware so that it will see all of PC RAM no matter which PC its loaded to?

rg66

#931 Post by rg66 »

gcmartin wrote:I'm happy as it sits. Looks good. Thanks for your work. Downloading beta now.

Is this distro PAE aware so that it will see all of PC RAM no matter which PC its loaded to?
It's currently using the stock slacko-6.3 3.14.55 non PAE kernel.

rg66

#932 Post by rg66 »

There is an eject CD/DVD with thunar bug. If there is a disk in the drive at boot it will eject once, put one in after and it throws an I/O error.

Change /lib/udev/rules.d/60-cdrom_id.rules, line 16

to: IMPORT{program}="cdrom_id $devnode"

run "udevadm control --reload-rules" from terminal or reboot.

Marv

#933 Post by Marv »

Delta downloaded and applied, md5sum checked. 4a3 updated to 4b1 on the Bay Trail NAS box. Uneventful. That's good :D

Edit: Core 2 duo also updated. Also uneventful. Back to the stock kernel.

I never did get thunar to connect using the samba server netbios name with the firewall on. Looked at iptables and all the ports samba wants are open but it is dropping the netbios info and I don't want to mess with the firewall. My workaround (I like it because it's one click access and looks the same in PCManFM) is to add a bookmark in /root/.config/gtk-3.0/bookmarks. Mine is: smb://192.168.10.14/. My router is set to allocate IPs by mac address so the core machines are effectively static. Thunar won't let you rightclick and add it cause it's not local so...

rg66

#934 Post by rg66 »

Thanks for the feedback Marv, uneventful is what I'm after.

Geoffrey was also having netbios issues with a win10 machine. No probs here with X-s and win7 although I didn't have the firewall enabled.

I've re-written Simple File Sharing for samba4 and that will be added soon. I'll test it with the firewall as soon as I have time.

Marv

#935 Post by Marv »

Just to clarify, the firewall issue is only on the puppy client machines. I see it both on LxPupSC, X-slackos, and on X-tahrs. The server works correctly on all three with the samba box ticked in the firewall setup on that machine. My only surviving windows machines are XP and they also see the samba server on the pup machine correctly. The netbios/firewall issue with samba/client is also very common in other linux OS with lots of workarounds. Yassm just does an end run and searches for local machines responding to port 139 and uses those IP addresses IIRC, thus it works ok with the firewall enabled.

edit: add /client above

Marv

HP4500 printer setup, additional libs reqd.

#936 Post by Marv »

Set my networked HP4500 all-in-one printer up in CUPS after installing HPLIP 3.14.10. Installation goes normally, but as in the slacko based LxPupScs, it will not print (filter failed msg) until the pet rcrsn51 put together for those pups is installed. Then printing is fine. That pet from this thread http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 327#874568 is attached below:
Attachments
lxpup_print_patch-1.0.pet
(157.34 KiB) Downloaded 183 times

rg66

Re: HP4500 printer setup, additional libs reqd.

#937 Post by rg66 »

Marv wrote:Set my networked HP4500 all-in-one printer up in CUPS after installing HPLIP 3.14.10. Installation goes normally, but as in the slacko based LxPupScs, it will not print (filter failed msg) until the pet rcrsn51 put together for those pups is installed. Then printing is fine. That pet from this thread http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 327#874568 is attached below:
Most of those libs are already there except libjpeg.so.62/62.0.0 and of course the ipv6 module.

I've been playing around with the firewall script for the last few hours and it's doing my head in. Another rule must be overriding the netbios ports. Someone more familiar with iptables will have to have a look.

Marv

Re: HP4500 printer setup, additional libs reqd.

#938 Post by Marv »

rg66 wrote:
Marv wrote:Set my networked HP4500 all-in-one printer up in CUPS after installing HPLIP 3.14.10. Installation goes normally, but as in the slacko based LxPupScs, it will not print (filter failed msg) until the pet rcrsn51 put together for those pups is installed. Then printing is fine. That pet from this thread http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 327#874568 is attached below:
Most of those libs are already there except libjpeg.so.62/62.0.0 and of course the ipv6 module.

I've been playing around with the firewall script for the last few hours and it's doing my head in. Another rule must be overriding the netbios ports. Someone more familiar with iptables will have to have a look.
I'll back that pet out and try just manually adding libjpeg.so.62/62.0.0.

Yep, my head too. I think what is happening is that the samba return wrt netbios is not flagged as expected or requested but I did fiddle with those drops to no avail. Checking the network traffic during a non-firewall connection didn't show any action outside the normal samba ports either. For now, I like my bookmark better anywhoo and yassm works well too.

Marv

HP4500 Printing

#939 Post by Marv »

The only thing required from the pet to enable printing is that in /usr/lib the libjpeg.so.7 symlink be to libjpg.so.7.0 and that libjpeg.so.7.0 be present. In the current X-slacko, the libjpeg.so.7 symlink is to libjpeg.so.8.01. CUPS must have issues with the newer lib??

rcrsn51

#940 Post by rcrsn51 »

I am reluctant to become involved in this issue because other Puppy builders have shown no interest in it. But here goes.

1. I build hplip_print/scan with an old version of Puppy that ensures maximum backwards compatibility. But it needs genuine libjpeg7. A symlink to libjpeg8 will NOT work. I could start building a parallel version for new Puppies, but I am disinclined to do so.

2. Certain recent versions of CUPS were built against ipv6 and networked printers cannot be detected unless it is loaded. So the patch PET loads it automatically though rc.local. However, I may have seen a comment somewhere that ipv6 interferes with the new firewall.

3. The patch PET also contains some stuff needed by Peasyscan, which has now disappeared from Puppy builds.