Puppy Squeeze 009 Development

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
upnorth

gnumeric in psid001

#921 Post by upnorth »

Hi:
For gnumeric in psid001:
Here is what i have for gnumeric. I installed this to test it. It should fix the gnumeric tool bar, and the functioning seems fine throughout. has pinstall.sh and the missing files.

For urxvt in psid001:
I changed last line of .Xdefaults to:
URxvt.background: white smoke
Just removing the quotes around colorname seems to make it happy :)
Attachments
gnumeric_fix-0.pet
hi
(96.12 KiB) Downloaded 318 times

pemasu

#922 Post by pemasu »

I compiled latest Deadbeef 0.4.4 from source in Sid001. Works fine with audio cd and mp3, also in luci237.

I stripped libs to have same as Iguleders 0.4.1 version. It is somewhat bigger because of those libs were bigger or Iguleder managed to strip them smaller.

DaveS

#923 Post by DaveS »

pemasu wrote:Forget Midori. Some useful browser instead. Iceweasel, Firefox, Seamonkey, Iron, Chromium, whichever is 100 x better than that lousy Midori.

And Sid001 works now really fine !!!
It might be worth mentioning that I had a very fine install of Midori working in Ubuntu, no crashes, secure browsing etc, but it was a MUCH bigger package. 35 MB I think.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Iguleder

#924 Post by Iguleder »

DaveS and pemasu, thank you! I'll fix the templates for rxvt-unicode and Gnumeric.

And thanks for the input - I guess we'll stick with Ice{weasel,ape}. The latter is bigger, much bigger. However, both have the same compatibility problems, because Iceweasel isn't named "Firefox" and the user agent returns "Iceweasel", and the latter has "Iceape". Some sites know that Seamonkey and Firefox are pretty much the same, but here it isn't "Seamonkey", it's "Iceape". That's why it makes sense to replace it with Iceweasel and Sylpheed - same functionality, same compatibility, different size.

EDIT: upnorth, you were right. Woof places a directory named after the gnumeric package version under /usr/share/gnumeric, but the package version has the traditional Debian additions (x.y.z-something) so it's empty, because the package has another directory (just x.y.z). This template should work for other distros, it's a Debian-specific problem ... I mean, another Debian-specific problem. That's something we constantly must deal with as long as the official Puppy releases use Ubuntu.

EDIT 2: found a very good replacement for Uget (which pulls in the huge gstreamer), DownThemAll. Debian even has its own package for it, another WIN for Debian :)
[url=http://dimakrasner.com/]My homepage[/url]
[url=https://github.com/dimkr]My GitHub profile[/url]

pemasu

#925 Post by pemasu »

Lets test that DTA app. Uget is anyway easy to add from puppy repo, 62 K only.

dejan555

#926 Post by dejan555 »

Iguleder wrote: EDIT 2: found a very good replacement for Uget (which pulls in the huge gstreamer), DownThemAll. Debian even has its own package for it, another WIN for Debian :)
It's a firefox addon right? And they package it? :D
I remember it's good it can download all links from one page and you can choose which media to save. Haven't used it lately maybe now it's even more advanced.
puppy.b0x.me stuff mirrored [url=https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_Mb589v0iCXNnhSZWRwd3R2UWs]HERE[/url] or [url=http://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_puppy.b0x.me_mirror]HERE[/url]

Iguleder

#927 Post by Iguleder »

Even more stuff! I wrote a script that receives two PPM repo lists as parameters and removes all packages that appear in the second one from the first one. This way I can kill all ffmpeg/mplayer/multimedia packages in the Debian Sid repo to force Woof to pick the Debian Multimedia counterparts, which have more dependencies and way better multimedia support.

I also deleted the ntfs-3g template, let's see if it fixes NTFS writing. I also want to try Geany (which is big, that's why I replaced it with Bluefish), which has a new template I just made. I also added dpkg-deb and other stuff I missed, thank you guys. Gnumeric should work this time :)

Oh, and one last thing - as pemasu told me in IRC, I added acpitool and the binding of "acpitool -s" to Fn+zz in the xbindkeys template, which has /root/.xbindkeysrc. This should be great for laptop owners :D

pemasu

#928 Post by pemasu »

I had to install Geany for me. Bluefish had problems with finnish special characters like ÖÄöä etc... Geany also just is more familiar and in everyday use anyway.

Waiting eagerly to test next version :)

Iguleder

#929 Post by Iguleder »

Oh, forgot to mention, I want to do another experiment, make two builds - one from Debian Squeeze and another from Sid. The main problem is applications - Debian Sid has all packages, while Squeeze lacks many old and deprecated ones, including old GTK applications that do not depend on GNOME (i.e what we Puppy users see as treasure). gToDo is an example. This means we'll have to find alternatives; preferably, alternatives from Debian packages.

If the Squeeze build is good, this is the long-anticipated Puppy Squeeze 010. The Sid build is another project in another thread, a new universe of crazy adventures, infinite possibilities and fun :D

EDIT: the script I wrote works! Woof downloads ffmpeg 0.6.1 and the SVN mplayer of Debian Multimedia :D

Iguleder

#930 Post by Iguleder »

Wow, this looks really good. For me it works well as the Luci 23x series :D

After a nice IRC conversation, we have a name and a logo. "Puppy Squeeze" is a bad name for three reasons:
1) If the base changes, "Squeeze" is out of place.
2) There's nothing special about it.
3) It isn't attractive.

So the new name is Vicious Puppy and the logo is attached. We could use a better logo, as my skills with graphics are very limited :lol:

So far, this thing looks really really good. It feels stable as the Squeeze-based puppies but has more packages to choose from and offers continual updates; this makes Vicious probably the most future-proof Puppy ever. It has minimal dependency on Puppy packages and strong ties to Debian. I removed some Puppy Squeeze extras (like the right-click extras and the Trinity icon theme) to make more use of "upstream" Puppy packages.

At the moment I'm working on a second build; this time, I want a new kernel. The main goals in this build are a new kernel, ROX-Filer and shared-mime-info from Debian, plus minor fixes for 001, which was great for a first build. I fixed Gnumeric and added acpitool with a "suspend to RAM" key binding for Fn+Zz. I also improved some templates I made.

Moreover, I made a template for TTF fonts. I want 002 to have a good selection of fonts so sites and documents render as on any major desktop distro that doesn't suffer from lack of fonts like Puppy. Fonts are big, but I think the extra size is worth it. I prefer a 5-10 MB bigger distro that doesn't kill my eyes and lets me produce prettier documents. :)

I intend to compile 2.6.32.25 and stick with it in the long-term, as Lupu has its 2.6.33.2 since 5.0. This time I want to compile all drivers from the kernel of 001 and the previous testing builds of Squeeze, including modem drivers and maybe some third-party extras. I also want to make nvidia drivers, I just don't know how.

I also want to write a new intro for this Puppy, and mention it's a second-chance Puppy for those who don't get along with Lupu, Quirky or any other "mainstream" puppies. I want to make it clear that this isn't a "mainstream" Puppy.

I might start a new thread so it doesn't get confusing. And this time I want the first build to be the first release so I might give it the version number 5.0.
Attachments
vicious_640x640.png
(154.86 KiB) Downloaded 289 times
vicious_48x48.png
(5.75 KiB) Downloaded 1191 times
vicious_96x96.png
(14.88 KiB) Downloaded 1178 times

calexand

#931 Post by calexand »

Hello All!
Downloaded Sid001. Could not get it to recognize my pci c-media sound card or get pwireless2 to work, could be me, but have been using lupu pups with no problems...
IBM ThinkCentre 8141-J2u(m41)/P4HT-3.0gHz/1Gib Ram/Intel i915/SATA 80Gib HDD/RTL-8187B wireless usb dongle.

BTW~Not wanting to appear dense, but how many Pups are actually being built/listed in this thread? Feel like I may be missing something here.
Thanks for the hard work!
CA

pemasu

#932 Post by pemasu »

Vicious Puppy definitely needs it`s own thread.

DaveS

#933 Post by DaveS »

I'm confused :(
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

scsijon

#934 Post by scsijon »

Have a serious rethink on the name please Igu!

We are having problems over here with dog attacks on kids and the elderly. One last week will have to have major facial reconstruction and won't be back in the world for four months at least, not good for a five year old female.

Vicious Puppy is definately a turnoff!

scsijon

tubeguy

#935 Post by tubeguy »

scsijon wrote:Have a serious rethink on the name please Igu!

We are having problems over here with dog attacks on kids and the elderly. One last week will have to have major facial reconstruction and won't be back in the world for four months at least, not good for a five year old female.

Vicious Puppy is definately a turnoff!

scsijon
So...what about "dpup"?
[b]Tahr Pup 6 on desktop, Lucid 3HD on lappie[/b]

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#936 Post by Béèm »

I had some negative thoughts about vicious as well and this is what Merriam-Webster says:
Merriam-Webster wrote:Definition of VICIOUS
: having the nature or quality of vice or immorality : depraved — (see 1vice)
: defective, faulty; also : invalid
: impure, noxious
a : dangerously aggressive : savage <a vicious dog> b : marked by violence or ferocity : fierce <a vicious fight>
: malicious, spiteful <vicious gossip>
: worsened by internal causes that reciprocally augment each other <a vicious wage-price spiral>
— vi·cious·ly adverb
— vi·cious·ness noun
Examples of VICIOUS

1. a vicious tone of voice
2. I know you're upset with her, but there's no need to be vicious.
I like squeeze, as I took it that the max was squeezed out of the HW and I liked that image.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

Karl Godt

Bash bash 4.1 debian squeeze

#937 Post by Karl Godt »

Wanna try something wicked ?

Here's squeeze bash compiled on dpup-005

# ./configure --prefix=/opt/bash/1

make : no warnings and errors !
[ reduced the source to one warning in puppy431]
/bash-src4.1.1/lib/readline/display.c :

Code: Select all

int
rl_character_len (c, pos)
     register int c, pos;
{
  unsigned char uc;

uc = (unsigned char)c;

/* if (META_CHAR (uc))
    return ((_rl_output_meta_chars == 0) ? 4 : 1); */

if (uc == '\t')
    {
#if defined (DISPLAY_TABS)
      return (((pos | 7) + 1) - pos);
#else
      return (2);
#endif /* !DISPLAY_TABS */
    }

if (CTRL_CHAR (c) || c == RUBOUT)
    return (2);

if (META_CHAR (uc))
    return ((_rl_output_meta_chars == 0) ? 4 : 1);

return ((ISPRINT (uc)) ? 1 : 2);
}
# strip bash : 2100 KB > 790 KB
[smaller configured ones gave Segmentation Fault and another Startup running error]
Attachments
bash-128.png
/bash-src4.1.1/support/bash.xbm
xbmtopbm bash.xbm &gt; bash.pnm
pnmtopng bash.pnm &gt; bash.png
(16.42 KiB) Downloaded 1031 times

Iguleder

#938 Post by Iguleder »

Thanks for the comments, guys. I'll find a better name and make a better logo, something less violent.

I'm very very busy and I work 7 days a week in 10-hour shifts about half an hour from my city, so I wake up at 5:00, go to work, get my body broken, then return home at night (after 22:00) and go to sleep.

This mess will be over soon, time to get in control of my life. I just came home, my knees are dead and my right hand is severely injured, I can't move my thumb and it %$#%#$ hurts.

I'm trying to work on Sid Puppy - I'm turning the package list from an alphabetically-sorted list into a categorized list. I want to do some serious work tomorrow (my first free day in two or three weeks!).

pemasu

#939 Post by pemasu »

Insidious Puppy

tubeguy

#940 Post by tubeguy »

Iguleder wrote:Thanks for the comments, guys. I'll find a better name and make a better logo, something less violent.

I'm very very busy and I work 7 days a week in 10-hour shifts about half an hour from my city, so I wake up at 5:00, go to work, get my body broken, then return home at night (after 22:00) and go to sleep.

This mess will be over soon, time to get in control of my life. I just came home, my knees are dead and my right hand is severely injured, I can't move my thumb and it %$#%#$ hurts.

I'm trying to work on Sid Puppy - I'm turning the package list from an alphabetically-sorted list into a categorized list. I want to do some serious work tomorrow (my first free day in two or three weeks!).
Dude you are allowed to take care of yourself, Puppy will be here when you get back. :wink:
[b]Tahr Pup 6 on desktop, Lucid 3HD on lappie[/b]