The Official Release of Lucid 5.25 (Lucid Five Twenty-Five)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
playdayz

#916 Post by playdayz »

everything seems OK, except for one quirk in restoring my previous custom configuration from Puppy 5.2. I overwrote the stock PuppyPin and globicons in /root/Choices/ROX-Filer with the ones I backed up from 5.2, and restarted X; the positions and functions of the desktop icons I got were the same as I had in 5.2, but the non-standard icons themselves were not, even though my globicons file listed correct matches between the programs I wanted to run and the existing icons I wanted to display.
Hey Pa, Courtesy of 01micko we now have Desksetup Icon Templates under Desktop Settings, which will Save and load different desktop icon arrangements. It should be good for restoring icons after upgrading.

James C

#917 Post by James C »

playdayz wrote:
everything seems OK, except for one quirk in restoring my previous custom configuration from Puppy 5.2. I overwrote the stock PuppyPin and globicons in /root/Choices/ROX-Filer with the ones I backed up from 5.2, and restarted X; the positions and functions of the desktop icons I got were the same as I had in 5.2, but the non-standard icons themselves were not, even though my globicons file listed correct matches between the programs I wanted to run and the existing icons I wanted to display.
Hey Pa, Courtesy of 01micko we now have Desksetup Icon Templates under Desktop Settings, which will Save and load different desktop icon arrangements. It should be good for restoring icons after upgrading.
Been working fine here when I do an upgrade test. :)

majorfoo

#918 Post by majorfoo »

playdayz wrote:
By all means. IMHO, the best way to contribute to that is to participate in the development of Puppy--a new one will be starting reasonably soon after the release of Lucid 5.2.1.

BTW, I have always found not being seen to be a pretty good defensive tactic ;-)
i trust this means that you are not retiring and will be guiding us through another exciting version

playdayz

#919 Post by playdayz »

i trust this means that you are not retiring and will be guiding us through another exciting version
No, this is my swan song. I am looking forward to seeing what comes next.

I should have said " a new Puppy" will be starting soon....

cthisbear

#920 Post by cthisbear »

I repeat the question.

Puppy Studio is configured to work on this monitor.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... &start=720

What did he do to make it show up?

This might help newbies with black screens.

Chris.

rerwin

Updated i915 black screen problem fix

#921 Post by rerwin »

playdayz,
While working on the issue of updating to luci255, I discovered that the fix for the black screen on the problematic Intel 82845/i915 graphics controller is not staying in effect long enough, causing the problem to return after a successful bootup.

The cause is the "sundown" factor I included, to ensure the fix did not remain if the graphics card were removed. It expired after 30 seconds, on the assumption that is was needed only for initialization of the controller at bootup. But it appears to also be needed when X is restarted.

The included package changes the sundown technique so the the fix remains throughout each puppy session. Please include it in Luci before releasing 5.2.1. Otherwise, Luci can still be a problem for the affected users, only more randomly than with no fix for the problem.

EDIT: When I boot from the 257 CD, I do not see a problem with the black screen, even after the fix (an options statement for i915) is removed for the session. But it does occur consistently when I test the modem-modprobe package. So, something seems to trigger reloading of the i915 module during X-server restart, in that environment. Therefore, while it does not appear to be a problem in 257, it appears that it is possible that the module has to be reloaded, so needs the fix in place all the time -- I just can't see it in 257.

With that stated, I will understand if you choose to not include this corrected fix, at this late point in the release cycle. I can include it in the modem-modprobe package, if necessary, where it seems to be essential.

Another thing I have observed in my testing are error messages in /tmp/xerr.log related to the i915 DRI files:
(EE) AIGLX error: dlopen of /usr/lib/dri/i915_dri.so failed (/usr/lib/dri/i915_dri.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)
(EE) AIGLX: reverting to software rendering
(EE) AIGLX error: dlopen of /usr/lib/dri/swrast_dri.so failed (/usr/lib/dri/swrast_dri.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)
(EE) GLX: could not load software renderer
The messages also occur with the original 257. Should those files be present? It would seem to defeat the purpose of including i915, if pieces are missing.

Thanks for all your effort with Luci.
Richard
Attachments
i915_modeset0-0.2.pet
Corrected fix for Intel 82845 graphics controllers experiencing a black screen lockup
on bootup or restart of X server.
(1.08 KiB) Downloaded 477 times
Last edited by rerwin on Sun 27 Mar 2011, 04:45, edited 1 time in total.

bigpup

#922 Post by bigpup »

Has anyone heard bad things about Flashplayer 10.2.153?
Seems to work OK for me.
Downloaded and installed the version 10.2.153.1 one and it works OK.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#923 Post by Lobster »

Both Lucid Xchat (PPM) and Pidgin (Quickpet) no longer go to the Puppy Linux IRC chat by default. They did previously in Luci betas, can we go back to this compromise of no longer having a chat icon? 8)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

James C

#924 Post by James C »

playdayz wrote:Has anyone heard bad things about Flashplayer 10.2.153?
Have watched a bunch of videos with 10.2 r153 ......seems fine here too.Tested in Firefox 4.

playdayz

#925 Post by playdayz »

(EE) AIGLX error: dlopen of /usr/lib/dri/i915_dri.so failed (/usr/lib/dri/i915_dri.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)
(EE) AIGLX: reverting to software rendering
(EE) AIGLX error: dlopen of /usr/lib/dri/swrast_dri.so failed (/usr/lib/dri/swrast_dri.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)
(EE) GLX: could not load software renderer
The messages also occur with the original 257. Should those files be present
No worries here. This is expected behavior. The dri files are what is installed by Xorg_High. It seems to do no harm to set everything up for them though--this way there is no need to rewrite xorg.conf. The default state is basic graphics, then when Xorg_High is installed and is restarted there are the open source glx graphics.

And thanks for staying with the original puzzle.

Sage

#926 Post by Sage »

Glad to report everything working well, including FULL upgrade.
Please do not alter the initial status of firewall. Please don't pander to the tiny number who still want to duel(sic) boot with the Devil. Virii, trojans and worms don't just happen when you boot up, you have to do something stupid to capture them! ISP s run generalised firewalls, there's another configurable one in every router - how many does it take? Some folks (or their WAGS) just don't read/listen to good advice. In my day, only the girls (yes, they were girls then, hardly women yet) wrote and ran programs - what happened? Now they they just want to pick up another 'dozey PC when they run into a brickwall. We seem extra lucky with Jewel, but where are the others?
Anyone for Haiku?!

taichifu

Has to connect NIC on every bootup

#927 Post by taichifu »

Problem with Lucid Puppy 5.2.1beta "256", did a full hard drive install everything went OK until a few days ago when I have to connect my ETH01, then on reboot I have to do the same never had this problem before.Is there a quick fix for this problem or is it a bug in this beta version. Ah! CUPS is a pain the Butt.
Otherwise all seems OK in this latest beta release.

Cheers

wuwei

#928 Post by wuwei »

Have watched a bunch of videos with 10.2 r153 ......seems fine here too.Tested in Firefox 4.
Confirmed.
FF4.0 with 10.2r153 plays fine.

Terryphi

#929 Post by Terryphi »

James C wrote:
playdayz wrote:Has anyone heard bad things about Flashplayer 10.2.153?
It also works fine with Opera 11.10 beta and Chromium browser 12.0.716.0.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#930 Post by Béèm »

Flashplayer 10.2.153 seems to work OK in SeaMonkey 2.0.13
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

cowboy

rerwin's fix

#931 Post by cowboy »

Rerwin,

First, thank you so much for pursuing this issue. While I did not have the difficulties with my 82845G (rev 03) chip that some reported in Luci or LuPu, Spup and Wary were giving me heck. Spup 055 to 099 had black screen freezes, and then loss of volume after about 5 reboots, and Wary 5.1.1 would lose volume after about 3 to 5 reboots.

As a shot, I installed your 82845-i915 fix above into both Spup 99 and Wary 5.1.1 after creating clean savefiles. I can report that after a minimum of 15 reboots each, volume and the volume icon in lower right tray are persistent, and in Spup 099 with JWM, I have had no difficulties with screen seizure or going black. I'll continue to test this, and will also check Luci with the patch on my machine.

Rerwin, again, thank you so much for the work you have done, and are doing for our community. In the scrimmage for the Lupu 5.2.1 release, I can't believe you followed up on this small issue, that must have been troublesome for you to catch. Great headway, gracias amigo. I will report this on both spup and wary threads. Posted from seamonkey in Spup 099, info below for review.

VIDEO REPORT: Slack Puppy, version 099

Chip description:
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE Chipset Integrated Graphics Device (rev 03)

Driver used by Xorg:
intel

Video mode used by Xorg:
Resolution: Depth 24 Depth: "Display"

EDIT: Rerwin's fix HAS stabilized Wary and Spup as far as my cranky chip and screen seizures. Sadly, after one more boot, Spup volume failed. (of course). Going to shut up now and go back out to barn. However, thanks again Rerwin for your help on this screen issue.
Last edited by cowboy on Sun 27 Mar 2011, 16:58, edited 1 time in total.
[i]"you fix what you can fix and you let the rest go.."[/i] - Cormac McCarthy - No Country For Old Men.

rjbrewer

Re: Has to connect NIC on every bootup

#932 Post by rjbrewer »

taichifu wrote:Problem with Lucid Puppy 5.2.1beta "256", did a full hard drive install everything went OK until a few days ago when I have to connect my ETH01, then on reboot I have to do the same never had this problem before.Is there a quick fix for this problem or is it a bug in this beta version. Ah! CUPS is a pain the Butt.
Otherwise all seems OK in this latest beta release.

Cheers
You didn't say if eth01 is wireless or ethernet connection.

If wireless try this: (stay connected .pet)

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 395#477395

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

playdayz

#933 Post by playdayz »

Problem with Lucid Puppy 5.2.1beta "256", did a full hard drive install everything went OK until a few days ago when I have to connect my ETH01, then on reboot I have to do the same never had this problem before.Is there a quick fix for this problem or is it a bug in this beta version.
I had a problem like this with wifi which I had never had before My problem at least is fixed for next version. It seems to have come from advancing the udev--so I reverted and it stopped.
Ah! CUPS is a pain in the Butt.
Agree completely!

playdayz

#934 Post by playdayz »

Puppy Studio is configured to work on this monitor.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... &start=720
I wish I knew. l0wt3ch did a lot of work on puppy studio.

rcrsn51

#935 Post by rcrsn51 »

playdayz wrote:
Ah! CUPS is a pain in the Butt.
Agree completely!
Have you been following the discussion here? Start at the bottom of page 3.

I suspect that most Lupu users believe that they can click on any deb file from anywhere and safely install it into Lupu. This simply isn't true and there now several well-documented cases that show the danger.