Dpup Exprimo 5.X.15

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
pemasu

#881 Post by pemasu »

Peebee. Those /usr/local/bin default changes are included surely in sfs. Interesting that they dont change the existing ones. When I tested the sfs, it changed the default apps to execute abiword and gnumeric. It looks like the layering system does not handle the sfs as it should. Interesting. Maybe it is question how you load the sfs. Using Boot Manager to load the sfs and then reboot should load the sfs properly and overwrite the existing stuff.

peebee

#882 Post by peebee »

pemasu wrote:Peebee. Those /usr/local/bin default changes are included surely in sfs. Interesting that they dont change the existing ones. When I tested the sfs, it changed the default apps to execute abiword and gnumeric. It looks like the layering system does not handle the sfs as it should. Interesting. Maybe it is question how you load the sfs. Using Boot Manager to load the sfs and then reboot should load the sfs properly and overwrite the existing stuff.
Hi pemasu

Tried uninstalling and then re-installing the sfs after a reboot and that didn't make a difference so...

I went back to a pristine savefile - booted into e17 - closed down, created a new savefile, selected the sfs on reboot - rebooted again - changed into jwm and clicked on .xls file - same result it didn't open - looked in defaultspreadsheet and both lines were commented out.....

I am using jwm not e17 - is that the problem??

I got the sfs using the Sfs Apps loader by the way....but moved it into my squeeze subdirectory, not in /mnt/home - is that the problem??

Cheers
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

backi

#883 Post by backi »

Hello pemasu !
Yes i have changed the save session time to 0 in Puppy Session Manager.

"Scottmans method with edited rc.shutdown can be found from forum or I can make installable pet of it."

If it where possible to make this pet ,i would like to test it.

Thanks!
Last edited by backi on Sat 10 Sep 2011, 16:47, edited 3 times in total.

backi

#884 Post by backi »

Hi pemasu !

Here i am back again. Sometimes things make me quite curious and stealing my sleep away.

Listen what i did (i am a linux newbee and not much experienced in all those things) . Maybe it does mean anything to anyone.

Because of this strange saving effect, i asked myself ,if or how or why some deb or pet file installations, seems to manage going to my USB stick during a session while i am working completely in ram ( i think so that i am doing that. My savesession intervalls are set to 0 ) and at the end of session when shutting down normally , everything is saved to my savefile (on USB stick).and nothing is saved meanwhile (except i save session manually with"save2flash ").This is my believe-system .

Makes me wonder.
So i made a test.
I installed IRON 13 pet during session - iron was installed and working
then i brutally cut of powerconnection of my laptop during session (removed accu battery
to shutdown the whole system (lights went off).

Then restarted Dpupexprimo (booted again from zero)
in expectation that iron ,installed during session wouldn`t be saved because of this sudden powerloss during session.
But much to my surprise, after booting dpup again, i found IRON still under -menue>internet and working .
Is it possible ,that some pets or deb programm installing themselves
directly to my USB stick , although (so is my believing) they should not
leave or escape out of the "Ram territory " during a session, without sending it to hardware- memory manually (with save2flash or shutting down normally).

Some other pets or installations don't behave like that.

That really makes me wonder.
Maybe anybody able to explain to me, how all this can happen and how this is working? Or maybe i misunderstand some things .
Last edited by backi on Sat 10 Sep 2011, 16:51, edited 1 time in total.

pemasu

#885 Post by pemasu »

Backi. My first thought is that when you boot up, it picks up savefile which has that Iron installed. if you boot up with pfix=ram and have savesession = 0, and when t you take the power off, there shouldnt be savefile created for that session. For me...logical reason is that you have another savefile in usb stick which has that Iron installed already and when you boot again it picks that savefile.
Otherwise...it is interesting. Could you post your usb stick booting config. Whatever booting method you use.
And...I dont recommend to violently shut down your comp. If you have filesystems mounted in you comp hdd, they might get damage. Filesystem table could corrupt.

Peebee. Okay...I tested again the abiword...sfs. You were right, the sfs included defaultspreadsheet and defaultwordprocessor filesdont overwrite the existing ones. Interesting. Those files dont have sticky bit so they should be overwritten by sfs included files.
I am at loss. Could better than me enlighten us, why the same files with different content will not be overwritten by sfs. And I am sure those folders are identical in sfs. Only file content is different.
I cant change the content with echo and sed because pinstall.sh is not executed with sfs loading.
Anyway, I will update the abiword....pet also. And I check that those stubborn files will be overwritten....or I use pinstall.sh to add the needed content.

don570

Quick Launch 1.1

#886 Post by don570 »

Note to pemasu:

I've made a few changes to Quick Launch in version 1.1

The windows were popping up in odd places so
I decided to center the windows.

It can now be localized for foreign languages using
Zigbert's method.

http://208.109.22.214/puppy/viewtopic.p ... 20ee3e203f

Also I recommend upgrading bacon recorder to version 2.3.1
http://208.109.22.214/puppy/viewtopic.p ... 5f85994965

This solves the 'white space' problem.

pemasu

#887 Post by pemasu »

Thank you don570. If you mean e17 popping up, it might be due to e17 settings. It has setting to open apps in empty spaces. You can change that behavior also, even tile apps win 3.1 style. Nostalgic feeling when I tested that property.

don570

#888 Post by don570 »

I was referring to Gtkdialog windows popping up at strange positions
on the screen. Zigbert avoids using the option --center
for some reason that I don't know??? Could it lead to
problems for those lucky people with multiple screens??

backi

#889 Post by backi »

Hi pemasu !

Backi back again .

"Could you post your usb stick booting config. Whatever booting method you use. "
usb stick booting config.
( i think you mean the extlinux.config file on my USB stick)

default puppy
display boot.msg
prompt 1
timeout 50

F1 boot.msg
F2 help.msg
F3 help2.msg

label puppy
kernel vmlinuz
append initrd=initrd.gz pmedia=usbflash pfix=copy

Set :Save intervals=0

Strange strange strange

Did session 1
First i deleted every trace of IROn installation in every folder (manually) .

I also uninstalled some hpprinter pet in PPM which i installed before with
Ppacketmanager.
because i had recognized in my earlier session, as i tested "shutdown without save " these pets where not saved, but the iron pet installation was saved (to my surprise) when i closed session with " shutdown with nosave".

OK. I removed iron completely also this Hpprinter driver installation.
Then did a normal shutdown ,to make shure my changings where saved.
Restarted again (not with pfix=ram just as usual) IRON and Hpprinter driver now where deleted-gone (as expected ,as it should be).
Then i installed both pets again(IRON and Hp printer driver pet) not with PPM
just clicked those both pets.
(i have them on my my harddrive where is a collection of some pets and sfs files)
They did correctly install.
Instead "shutdown with no save"
(ooops... i did it again) i forced the system now to shudown, by interrupting power-electricity (by remouving battery), as i did before as i told you.

Wanted to know what will happen to my installed iron- and Hp printer driver ( pets). Lights went off.
Now restarted dpup again (not with pfix=ram just as usual).

And strange strange strange ....iron still installed but Hpprinter drivers not.
really makes me wonder.
Hope, dont make people nervous with my evergreen "shutdown with no save " .

backi

#890 Post by backi »

Hi pemasu !

Just another topic .

Found out you made a pet from Lmms 0.4.10.
Downloaded and tried to install on dpupexprimo and on Three HeadedDog.

On both it " failed to install" .

Just one Question.What`s the difference beetween Lmms-0.4.10 and Lmms_NLS-0.4.10 ?
What does this _NLS mean ?

pemasu

#891 Post by pemasu »

Backi. Lmms needs Qt4 libs so that it would work. I have created Polarpup for Qt4 libs needing apps. But if you want to test Lmms in other puplets, you need to load Qt4 libs also. I have one set in Pets_Qt4 repo.

And...all those apps in that Pets_Qt4 repo needs QT4 libs to be loaded also.

NLS means that you get different locales...so that you get menus and so on in your own language.

jim3630

#892 Post by jim3630 »

5x6 usual install seems all work included the broadcom wl.ko included driver.

pemasu what can't get to work is after save file made drag a copy of foxfire and sm from mnt/home to /root/my application making a symlink.

clicking on either exe file will bring up the respective program and works.

trouble comes when try make symlink from those exe files to desktop. click on the icon error can't find file, what is the file associated?

did the above in other puppies and it works.

edoc

#893 Post by edoc »

Every time I try to open Seamonkey I get a pop-up that says it is already open.

I tried reboot x, reboot, and shutdown and restart and nothing fixed the problem.

This is on my Samsung NB30 netbook.

It had been working OK and I changed nothing - perhaps SM loaded an update?

I cannot fix it by running a SM update since I cannot get into SM.

Anyone else seeing this?
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

Tman

#894 Post by Tman »

pemasu wrote:...
Peebee. Okay...I tested again the abiword...sfs. You were right, the sfs included defaultspreadsheet and defaultwordprocessor filesdont overwrite the existing ones. Interesting. Those files dont have sticky bit so they should be overwritten by sfs included files.
I am at loss. Could better than me enlighten us, why the same files with different content will not be overwritten by sfs.
Pemasu,

I am not "better than you" but as I understand it, that is just the way SFS files work; they don't overwrite existing files of the same name, while pets do. I am unsure if this applies to all folders or just certain ones; but for sure it does apply to the usr/local/bin folder. I am surprised you did not include ScOttman's fine Default Programs Chooser, which you included in Midnightsun Puppy.

Edit: I just read that it is now included in woof.

pemasu

#895 Post by pemasu »

Edoc. Try in console: killall -9 seamonkey. And you cant update Seamonkey, it is already the newest atm. I mean if you use 5.X.6.
I suggest you to try pristine fresh frugall install without using savefile from previous version and check if Seamonkey works then. Previous version savefile generated problems are so usual.

Jim3630. Because you didnt tell which wm you used when you had that problem, It is impossible to to give you exact advice. Anyway. E17 needs different approach to get icons working in its desktop. We can continue when you tell your wm in which you had problem.
Other puppies dont much have e17, Macpup of course since it has used e17 couple of years now, I think.

Tman. Defaults-program-chooser was almost first extra included application I brought in. Check Menu > Setup. So...It is really surprise if it is not found there. Lol.
I have even thought to check Akita, because Scottman has done hard work with it to get it as nice as possible. Will be in my todo list.
About sfs not overwriting existing files. Okay, that was news to me. It means I have to change the /usr/local/bin/default* content so that sfs apps works with mime types. Defaults-program-chooser is there of course, but I would like that sfs apps could modify the default app according to installed app. I wonder if there is any workaround for it. Some way to execute postinstall commands.

pemasu

#896 Post by pemasu »

Today, I had nice rollerskating with poles to the isthmus between two lakes. + 15 c, no wind, quite sunny autumn day.
I took 3 photos with my cell phone and blended them together with fotoxx panorama property.

The result is attached. Not bad.

Tman

#897 Post by Tman »

pemasu wrote:...

Tman. Defaults-program-chooser was almost first extra included application I brought in. Check Menu > Setup. So...It is really surprise if it is not found there. Lol.
Oops. My mistake. I must have missed it the last time I tried out your puplet. :shock: :? :x :oops:

pemasu

#898 Post by pemasu »

No problem Tman. It was nice advertisement of the included app. We need always try to see the bright side of the things.

jim3630

#899 Post by jim3630 »

pemasu was in e17.

pemasu

#900 Post by pemasu »

Jim3630. For e17 desktop, it needs more tricks. Take a working Firefox or Seamonkey.desktop file from /usr/share/applications. Where ever you get them. Copy them or which ever you want to /root/Desktop folder. Open it as text with right click. Change the Exec row to point from where you launch. It can be symlink location also. You can edit the Name row also, it is the row which will show the Icon name in desktop.
Point also the Icon row to the location of the icon.
Placing the appDOTdesktop files to the /root/Desktop is the needed location so that e17 will show them as executable icons.
Thats it. If I havent got it all wrong.