Lucid Puppy 5.1- A Full-Featured Compact Distro

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
shinobar

Why no xorg.conf at first boot?

#861 Post by shinobar »

Testing keymap-set on luci-212

Boot up luci-212 with ram-only mode.
Appears first run configuration window... close.
Install keymap-set-20100718.pet.
From virtual terminal, type: keymap-set
Choose 'jp106'.
Works effectively. /etc/keymap is correctly set to 'jp106'.

But after restarting X, the keyboard layout is ruined because xorg.conf is not used.
Where is the X configuration of the first run desktop?

tubeguy

#862 Post by tubeguy »

ttuuxxx wrote:Hi WhoDo, since you've been appointed as Art Director in 5.1, could we have 24x24 menu and desktop connect icons please, it always looks so much better when I change them, plus you can delete a wack of extra 16x16 icons that are included in puppy, they are redundant icon from the past, usually I install the full gtk2 icons and system link them, That way extra gtk2 icons will appear in gtk2 programs menus, also they can be manually added to rox.
ttuuxxx
I second that. 8)
[b]Tahr Pup 6 on desktop, Lucid 3HD on lappie[/b]

playdayz

#863 Post by playdayz »

I cannot understand why xorg.
Hi Shinobar, Since version 7.3 Xorg has not needed an xorg.conf file, and has been capable of auto configuration. we are using that in lUpu in order to boot directly to the desktop. Actually a truncated xorg.conf is created. If the auto config needs to be changed for a different keyboard layout or graphics driver then we return to the Puppy approach of creating the xorg.conf.

the bottom line is that it is not a bug to not create the complete xorg.conf on first boot.

Thanks.

Install keymap-set-20100718.pet.
From virtual terminal, type: keymap-set
Choose 'jp106'.
Works effectively. /etc/keymap is correctly set to 'jp106'.
But after restarting X, the keyboard layout is ruined because xorg.conf is not used.
You will need to use the first run wizard to create an xorg.conf.

playdayz

#864 Post by playdayz »

So I was surprised the direct boot to desktop was there again, making all those people with national keyboards unhappy again.
I don't understand. It is possible to change the keyboard layout easily to any national version. I keep changing it to strange keyboards that I can barely use ;-) I am working on luci-213 and the dialog looks like this. I can change back and forth and it seems to work fine. If 212 is not working please let us know how. It would also work to exit to a prompt and run xorgwizard. We will have a friendly interface that allows changing whatever options need to be changed easily and reliably.

<Add> We are committed to Language Support including keyboard layouts. At least 5 major programs offer NLS by default, and there is an NLS pack for another in PPM and maybe more by release. Changing keyboard layout will work easily and reliably before release.
Last edited by playdayz on Sun 18 Jul 2010, 18:08, edited 1 time in total.

playdayz

#865 Post by playdayz »

212 Well.............. printing hangs! Not seen that in Puppy for a long while........
I really hate Cups.

<Add> I just tested in luci-213 and Cups found my Brother HL-2040 and printed a test page and a page from Abiword. I will keep looking but please test luci-213 for this--when it is posted in a day or two.. Thanks.
Last edited by playdayz on Sun 18 Jul 2010, 18:06, edited 2 times in total.

playdayz

#866 Post by playdayz »

The ogv file would not play with gnome-mplayer, but it would play with Smplayer. It would also play with VLC. Somehow I took SMplayer out of the PPM repo. Why did I do that?

Anyway I think music playing on the desktop might be recorded by changing the Input Sour in Alsamixer.

I went ahead and installed VLC as lobster suggested this enabled output file to be transcode after recording and to be played locally - just to test out i have uploaded a small .ogv video recording to youtube but for me when i watch it is unwatchable and all blocky and pixilated. ?
Good news. gnome-mplayer 0.9.6 plays the .ogv file directly. It also does some other things correctly with jwm, so it will be the one we use, starting in luci-213.

playdayz

#867 Post by playdayz »

I was writing this up for 01micko and I thought people might be interested in how the auto config process works. BTW, wait until you see what micko has done with the recommendation window at the bottom of the first run dialog. it is like magic.

The boot process is the same until xorgwizard starts. There is an abbreviated xorgwizard that writes just the skeleton of the xorg.conf, and then deletes the driver that enables auto config and replaces itself with the full xorgwizard, so that after the first boot Puppy behaves as before. On first boot, the user has the opportunity to change whatever needs to be changed, easily and reliably, including the Video resolution and driver, the Language and Locale, the keyboard layout. The user can take the opportunity to change things on first boot, or later on can use the Video, Language & Keyboard Changer, or any of the traditional Puppy utilities to change things. Changing the keyboard layout requires that you go through the process to select the video driver--the reason is that an important part of the keyboard info is kept in the part of the xorg.conf that is only created by running the full xorgwizard

This is the xorgwizard that runs on first boot. What it does is to
1. write the skeleton xorg.conf
2. delete the displaylink_drv, because displaylink is what enables the auto config
3. copy the complete xorgwizard on top of itself so that next time it will not auto-config and the complete xorgwizard will run and create the complete xorg.conf
4. after it exits auto config takes place

What we need to do is to catch the Intel 855 (and possibly others) at the beginning of this brief xorgwizard, and handle it. I think the first try might be to delete the intel_drv and the i810 symlink to the intel_drv and replace that with the complete i810_drv. When it auto configs, Xorg “matches
Last edited by playdayz on Sun 18 Jul 2010, 17:54, edited 5 times in total.

pemasu

#868 Post by pemasu »

I need to compile one kernel module or at least I try to do that. It is a patch to get my battery status working.

But.....

Code: Select all

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /01micko/lupu_kernel/kernel_src_L4-2.6.33.2-patched.sfs on this server.

DaveS

#869 Post by DaveS »

playdayz wrote:
212 Well.............. printing hangs! Not seen that in Puppy for a long while........
I really hate Cups.
LOL..... yup, me too.........
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

playdayz

#870 Post by playdayz »

pemasu wrote:I need to compile one kernel module or at least I try to do that. It is a patch to get my battery status working.

But.....

Code: Select all

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /01micko/lupu_kernel/kernel_src_L4-2.6.33.2-patched.sfs on this server.
Hi pemasu, 01micko will be up in a few hours. Here is a link to the longer kernel sources as Barry posted them--01micko cut them down by over a third I think.

http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=01474

pemasu

#871 Post by pemasu »

Thank you playdayz. It was quick answer. Downloading that bigger source.

playdayz

#872 Post by playdayz »

DaveS,

I just tested in luci-213 and Cups found my Brother HL-2040 and printed a test page and a page from Abiword. I will keep looking but please test luci-213 for this--when it is posted in a day or two.. Thanks.

DaveS

#873 Post by DaveS »

playdayz wrote:DaveS,

I just tested in luci-213 and Cups found my Brother HL-2040 and printed a test page and a page from Abiword. I will keep looking but please test luci-213 for this--when it is posted in a day or two.. Thanks.
OK, cool.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

playdayz

#874 Post by playdayz »

More interface theory.

When people have booted successfully to the desktop they will see the First Run Dialog. We expect over half of all users to click OK. Those who want to change something will click the other button, for the Video, Language & Keyboard Chooser.
From the VLK-Changer, people can change the video resolution, the Language and Locale, and the keyboard layout and/or video driver.

01micko

#875 Post by 01micko »

Sorry pemasu :oops:

It was the permissions, should be ok now

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

rcrsn51

#876 Post by rcrsn51 »

playdayz wrote:I just tested in luci-213 and Cups found my Brother HL-2040 and printed a test page and a page from Abiword. I will keep looking but please test luci-213 for this--when it is posted in a day or two
I did a fresh frugal install of 212 and printing works fine. I wonder if DaveS upgraded his pupsave file and some little problem crept in.

bigpup

firewall working? yes or no

#877 Post by bigpup »

This answers that old question. Is the firewall working?
Would be nice feature for first start of Lucid Puppy.

Firewall status tray icon applet
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=57725

playdayz

#878 Post by playdayz »

This answers that old question. Is the firewall working?
Would be nice feature for first start of Lucid Puppy.

Firewall status tray icon applet
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=57725
Good idea bigpup. Thanks.

01micko

#879 Post by 01micko »

Firewall

Yep, that's Tasmod's (Rob's) app, it works fine :D

AND ________________________________

(I can hardly contain my excitement.. no not icewm)

Printing

Yippee! Hooray!!! :D :D :D Image

I got my brand new Canon MP-490 (multi- thingy) to print.... in 213
  • test page ....check
    abiword ....check
    gnumeric ..check
    geany ...check
4 from 4 in less than a few minutes is good enough for me, so this pet is still steaming hot..

http://www.smokey01.com/01micko/lucid/canon-mp-490.pet
MP-490 Puppy driver, should work in any Puppy.. 1.7M full version, docs and nls

petspecs>> canon-mp-490|canon-mp|490||BuildingBlock|7684K||canon-mp-490.pet||canon mp490 drivers|ubuntu|lucid||

Cutdown
http://www.smokey01.com/01micko/lucid/c ... -lucid.pet 1M

petspecs>> canon-mp-490-lucid|canon-mp|490-lucid||BuildingBlock|4060K||canon-mp-490-lucid.pet||canon mp490 drivers|ubuntu|lucid||

Instructions>>
  • *installpet
    *run cups>addprinter>etc
    *find the ppd file (/usr/shar/ppd/ )
    *set defaults
    *print :wink:

Cheers and enjoy

(um, scanning on same machine later)
Last edited by 01micko on Mon 19 Jul 2010, 05:33, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

James C

#880 Post by James C »

Wasn't expecting Luci-213 until tomorrow but.......................downloading now and will have some Intel graphics reports later tonight. :)