CUPS printing - installation script - update 13SEP06

News, happenings
sheine

#81 Post by sheine »

pakt wrote:
sheine wrote: I followed the instructions and then went to localhost:631. Under "Add New Printer", I typed Samsung. The next step was "Device for Samsung". I chose USB Printer#1 (Samsung ML-1210). This was an advance since it now listed my printer. However, the next step was "Make" and I had the same old choices, e.g. Lexmark, HP, etc. What next?
sheine, I just thought of something - copy your Samsung *.ppd to /usr/share/cups/model/ instead of what I said before, then restart CUPS with '/etc/rc.d/rc.cups start'. Now you should see 'Samsung' in 'Make' and 'ML-1210' in 'Model'.

The instruction to put the *.ppd file in the same directory as the CUPS install script works, but only if you rerun the script. I wasn't very clear about that, but it is mentioned in my original instructions.
This procedure is taking on an endless quality. I started the whole process from the beginning using the original instructions from Pakt. With my Samsung driver still in the cups-install directory, I got "Samsung" in "Make" and "ML-1210" in "Model". The, when I clicked "continue", it threw me back to "make". Now what?

sheine

Final step

#82 Post by sheine »

I redid the localhost program and at the "model stage", I highlighted the indicated driver , "continue" then worked and it said that my printer was installed. Samsung appeared in Open Office and printed. I still must learn how to configure abiword.

Thanks to all who offered help, especially Pakt.

pakt

Re: Final step

#83 Post by pakt »

sheine wrote:I redid the localhost program and at the "model stage", I highlighted the indicated driver , "continue" then worked and it said that my printer was installed. Samsung appeared in Open Office and printed. I still must learn how to configure abiword.
Great news, sheine, you're getting there. :)

Regarding the CUPS installation script - it isn't a finished product but rather an early test version. I needed testers (like you) to give me feedback to make sure it worked.

I now know I'm on the right track. Let's see if I can succeed in making the script into a Puppy 'CUPS Printer Wizard' or possibly integrate it with BarryK's 'Printer Wizard'.

Thanks to all who have tested so far and posted feedback :)

Paul

coccimi

#84 Post by coccimi »

Hi, I have a Brother MFC-6800. I looked on the linuxprinting webpage, and they did not have my printer. On the Brother Linux Driver Homepage, they have many proprietary drivers free of charge, but they only have RPM's and DEB's of them. They DO have the source code, though, but I haven't a clue on how to use it. I am afraid of using the hl7x0 driver because there are reports of it shifting the page, getting memory full errors, etc. Getting Brother printers to work by downloading the drivers would help all Brother printer users. The Brother website also says to install LPR drivers, installing LPD (by making a temporary symbolic link from /etc/init.d/cups(ys) to /etc/init.d/lpd (which doesn't exist in Puppy)), and THEN install CUPS wrapper drivers. Though the site DOES have clear instructions on installing such drivers, such drivers are only for Fedora Core or Debian based linuxes.

The bottom line is: could someone please "translate" these drivers into a Puppy system? Thanks in advance!

P.S. I'm a very cautious person, and I'd like to know exactly what to do before I do anything.

sheine

Maybe it is hopeless

#85 Post by sheine »

As I reported yesterday, I got my Samsung to print with Open Office.
Today, neither of my printers, both of which are shown as installed in Open Office and localhost, will print. To make sure that it was not my printer, I went to Ubuntu and had no trouble printing.

I played games with local host. It showed both of my printers as installed. I tried various of their choices but could not get the test page to print on either printer.

I am not sure that I want to pursue this further. But, I do want to post this information in case it can help others.

Puppy has enormous potential but printing and wireless are problems that must be solved.

Billwho?
Trialing 4.20

#86 Post by Billwho? »

sheine wrote:Today, neither of my printers, both of which are shown as installed in Open Office and localhost, will print. To make sure that it was not my printer, I went to Ubuntu and had no trouble printing.

I played games with local host. It showed both of my printers as installed. I tried various of their choices but could not get the test page to print on either printer.
I have have been caught several times in the past with a similar problem . This may not work but it is worth checking out.

1. Open localhost
2. Click on the printers tab
3. Check the button beside the "print test page button"
It will be either a red button marked "stop printer" or a green button marked "start printer"
4. If it is the green button click on it.

Sometimes it is the simple things that cause the most trouble
Linux = Learning through doing :shock: :? :D
The learning curve may be steep but there is a light at the end of the tunnel.
You just have to pass the occasional oncoming train to get there.

sheine

#87 Post by sheine »

Although I had done these things before, I tried Billwho's suggestion again. It did not print the test page, although clicking the "jobs" button told me that the job had been completed. Everything goes as it should except that it does not print.
I hate being negative but printing must be improved in puppy.

Billwho?
Trialing 4.20

#88 Post by Billwho? »

coccimi wrote:Hi, I have a Brother MFC-6800. I looked on the linuxprinting webpage, and they did not have my printer. On the Brother Linux Driver Homepage, they have many proprietary drivers free of charge, but they only have RPM's and DEB's of them. They DO have the source code, though, but I haven't a clue on how to use it. I am afraid of using the hl7x0 driver because there are reports of it shifting the page, getting memory full errors, etc. Getting Brother printers to work by downloading the drivers would help all Brother printer users. The Brother website also says to install LPR drivers, installing LPD (by making a temporary symbolic link from /etc/init.d/cups(ys) to /etc/init.d/lpd (which doesn't exist in Puppy)), and THEN install CUPS wrapper drivers. Though the site DOES have clear instructions on installing such drivers, such drivers are only for Fedora Core or Debian based linuxes.

The bottom line is: could someone please "translate" these drivers into a Puppy system? Thanks in advance!

P.S. I'm a very cautious person, and I'd like to know exactly what to do before I do anything.
Try this
1. download and install the unrpm undeb dotpup
2. download your driver to whatever directory you like.
3. navigate to the directory that your driver is in
4. if you are using ROX to navigate, right click in the directory and choose xterm here from the dropdown list.
5. unzip the rpm

Code: Select all

unrpm   (the name of your downloaded driver) 
this wil unzip the rpm file into a new directory named usr
6.create a new directory. eg printer-driver.

mkdir   printer-driver
7. move the directory usr into the new directory printer-driver.

mv   ./usr   ./printer-driver/
the ./'s are not realy needed but I like to play safe
8. create a tarball of your driver

tar cvf printer-driver.tar.gz   printer-driver
Note the name of the directory and the tarball must be identical except for the .tar.gz extention
9. install the driver as an alien package with the pupget package manager.

I have successfully installed several rpm's using this method and if I want to remove one at a later date it is simply a matter of rerunning the package manager to remove the alien package.
Linux = Learning through doing :shock: :? :D
The learning curve may be steep but there is a light at the end of the tunnel.
You just have to pass the occasional oncoming train to get there.

sheine

Go figure

#89 Post by sheine »

For no sensible reason, I tried printing again today. Samsung printed. Epson did not print with gimp-print but printed very lightly with gutenberg.

pakt

#90 Post by pakt »

sheine, I don't have a USB printer so I can't test this but I found this info on the internet:
It appears my inexpensive HP Deskjet 3740 only works when I have it turned on (and plugged in via USB) when I power up my computer.
Could it be that you haven't turned on the printer before booting Puppy on those occasions when your printer doesn't work?

sheine

Re: Go Figure

#91 Post by sheine »

Pakt:
It is very possible that your explanation is correct.

peppyy

#92 Post by peppyy »

Success with cups printing with Canon i560, canon bjc7100 driver 600dpi resouloution.
Thank You!

Good color, near perfect allignment.
Prints from the following programs.
Firefox: Good overall. margins overlap and cut off very top. Fixed easy with page setup. Print selection does not work.
Mozilla Composer: Same as Firefox.
ABI Word: Crisp black text. Good Color. Perfect Margins.
Gimp: Pretty Nice, I have some color adjustment to do but I give it a B+. Photo Quality!
xnview: Needs work, probably just my understanding of the print manager.
Beaver: spits out blank paper.
Leafpad: Same as Beaver.

Now I am not afraid to get my Puptop clients to buy a listed printer.

Note: The canonpixus560i.ppd is cups 2.4 and dosn't run. I haven't looked into the aborted error yet but I will if I get some time. Perhaps it is because I got it from Japan and the code is different? I remember it not loading correctly in another linux os also.
Puppy Linux...
It just works!

papakanush

Success with Canon i560s

#93 Post by papakanush »

I followed the script and chose bjc-7000 (from prior experience), and now the printer Canon i560s is working.

Thanks so much pakt ! :D
"It's not how big the dog is in the fight, but how big the fight is in the dog" -The Longest Yard

peppyy

#94 Post by peppyy »

I have installed cups on another machine and if during the install I choose Parellel I can only get to http://localhost:631/ all the links however are dead. They work fine when I choose usb printer during the install though.

Anyone else have this problem?
Puppy Linux...
It just works!

Wolfen

#95 Post by Wolfen »

1. I have installed CUPS, and have a HP DeskJet 820cxi connected to a WinXP computer on a home network.
2. Samba finds the printer, but can't do anything with it.
3. How do I find the address to put in the "Device URI:"?
The name of the Windows computer is OFFICE, and I think that the Printer is connected in socket LPT1.
Wolfen

sheine

Next step

#96 Post by sheine »

Pakt:
Since you have gotten me this far, another question. How do I adjust the printing for my Epson, it is too light. On localhost, I have already set it at 5.
Thank you.

pakt

#97 Post by pakt »

peppyy wrote:I have installed cups on another machine and if during the install I choose Parellel I can only get to http://localhost:631/ all the links however are dead. They work fine when I choose usb printer during the install though.

Anyone else have this problem?
peppyy, try to restart CUPS with the following command before running http://localhost:631/

# /etc/rc.d/rc.cups start

Do the links work now?

pakt

Re: Next step

#98 Post by pakt »

sheine wrote:Pakt:
Since you have gotten me this far, another question. How do I adjust the printing for my Epson, it is too light. On localhost, I have already set it at 5.
Thank you.
You might try to change the print resolution to '600 DPI' in 'Configure Printer' in the CUPS web interface and see if that helps.

pakt

#99 Post by pakt »

Wolfen wrote:1. I have installed CUPS, and have a HP DeskJet 820cxi connected to a WinXP computer on a home network.
2. Samba finds the printer, but can't do anything with it.
3. How do I find the address to put in the "Device URI:"?
The name of the Windows computer is OFFICE, and I think that the Printer is connected in socket LPT1.
Wolfen, this information may help you: http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-mini/Deb ... nting.html
Look under section 3 'Printing To Windows PCs'.

peppyy

#100 Post by peppyy »

Thanks Pakt. That got cups running ok and it listed the hp 710c printer port bit it aborts on the test prints. I am guessing that the port may not be recognised correctly on the 600e. I will try it on another computer soon to verify that it is not the ppd file I got from the HP site. Even with diffewrent drivers I couldn't get the printer to as much as wink at me.

My main objective is to find a small all-in-one that will work on one of my client's puptops. Luckly I have a like computer to play with so I find these things out before I get there and make myself look silly. :lol:
Puppy Linux...
It just works!