Ubuntu Studio: "Puppy Edition"

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
l0wt3ch

#81 Post by l0wt3ch »

Perry Nium wrote:Have I got the right end of the (USB) stick that this little project you've got going here is basically Puppy Linux with the packages that Ubuntu Studio provides? No actual connection with Ubuntu? :) - but with the advantage of fast running because it's all loaded into memory?
Perry, you've hit the nail on the head. Because it's all loaded into RAM, it can achieve far superior real-time recording than any other software out there. No actual connection to Ubuntu implied. :)

And, yes, you can remaster it any way you wish. :)

l0wt3ch

Re: What is Ubuntu Studio and who should use it

#82 Post by l0wt3ch »

gcmartin wrote:This looks like an interesting project.

I want to apologize for my asking this as it may be interpreted many ways. I am just seeking understanding.
In the first post I mentioned how, by adapting the famous "Ubuntu Studio Preparation" guide to Lucid Puppy (Puppy made from Ubuntu Lucid packages), the aim was to combine "the creative power of Ubuntu Studio with the speed of Puppy Linux!"

The "target market" for this software is audio, video, and graphics creators, both amateur and professional.

You guys are right, though - the name is unwieldy. :)

Dogface

#83 Post by Dogface »

Props for your pup lowtech, I've been looking for a way to get xwax running on a pup for a little while now and this looks to be just the ticket. I've got the latest version running (2.1 I think), but the thing is I don't get asked if I want to create a save file when I exit. The screen just goes blank and the laptop powers off. Anyone else had this problem? I could do with being able to make this pup persistent.

Also, I'd be most interested in a super slim version with all the production software available as sfs packages. For my selfish needs, I just need to be able to run xwax, alsa and a usb port!

Perry Nium

#84 Post by Perry Nium »

Thanks - I'm trying to understand all this, am I right in saying I can......

a) download lupu-501.iso from http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... ppy-5.0.1/ (and the md5 checksum of course, and verify it).....

b) from Windows, use LiLi 2.5 ( http://www.linuxliveusb.com/en/downloads.html ) to create a USB stick of Puppy....

c) boot up with that USB stick, enjoy Puppy...... then.....

d) if I can get both OpenShot and Kdenlive working (a big if!)..... use the Remaster option to create another ISO file.... which can be used to create as many USB sticks as required (by me and any others) which will have OpenShot and Kdenlive there ready?

That sounds excellent, if possible.... please say it's so :lol:

l0wt3ch

#85 Post by l0wt3ch »

You should probably ask about that in a different part of the forum.

But you're right, except for the LiLi part: Puppy will install itself to usb once booted from a disc. That's probably easier.

Perry Nium

#86 Post by Perry Nium »

Thanks, but I'm too cheap to waste a disc on each distro I try, I've had great results with LiLi and USB sticks, so I'll go down that route again :)
LiLi works with Puppy, according to their list of distros.

I'll try asking elsewhere then.... sounds like a promising way to get video editing going well.
(edit - now in http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=58438 )

Thanks
Last edited by Perry Nium on Fri 06 Aug 2010, 12:02, edited 1 time in total.

nancy reagan

IOw3tch

#87 Post by nancy reagan »

By sheer incidence I came across your post on Lupu telling you made pets.

Wouldn't it be wise to mention it here, especially in your first post, even though it is in "additional software"..

But there it might get unnoticed.. Not everyone browses all those pages.weekly.

Since Bigpup keeps away the latest posts by "enclosing" them into His Index, I miss a lot of the "latest".

Before all the additional software was spread over the page so by a daily look you saw what was new etc.

enhu

#88 Post by enhu »

anyone has mirror this, maybe megaupload so i can download using wget?

l0wt3ch

#89 Post by l0wt3ch »

@nancy: Playdayz from the Lucid Puppy development team says the pets will eventually be added to the Lucid Puppy repositories. If that happens, it won't be difficult to find them. :)

@enhu: Try this:

Code: Select all

wget http://puppylinuxstuff.meownplanet.net/10wt3ch/UbuntuStudioPE-1.9/UbuntuStudioPE1.9.iso --user=puppy --password=linux

nancy reagan

it might miss the attention of those you are aiming at

#90 Post by nancy reagan »

[quote="l0wt3ch"]@nancy: Playdayz from the Lucid Puppy development team says the pets will eventually be added to the Lucid Puppy repositories. If that happens, it won't be difficult to find them. :)

But before finding. they should know that they exist and where to find.

If you want to draw the attention of those you are aiming at I think you should do it here.

Edix

Awesome Thank you!

#91 Post by Edix »

Just wanted to say thank you, thank you, thank you! I have been wanting to build this forever but can never find the time! Please keep it updated! If I can help in anyway let me know!

Thanks again you saved me days of building this from scratch!

l0wt3ch

Re: Awesome Thank you!

#92 Post by l0wt3ch »

Edix wrote:Just wanted to say thank you, thank you, thank you!
You're welcome!

@nancy: Ya, you're probably right. :)

Edix

Line6

#93 Post by Edix »

l0wt3ch wrote:Thanks, but it doesn't need synth's "optimizations". Ubuntu Studio "Puppy Edition" already achieves extremely lowlatency realtime recording right out of the box.

I'm out of town right now, but when I get back in a couple weeks I'll see about adding more apps, etc.

I'd like to get Line6 usb support working. (I have a .deb that I made using alien that works great in Ubuntu.)
I have a PodXT and am more than happy to help with testing the Line6 driver build if needed could really use that!

Thanks

peser71

#94 Post by peser71 »

Congratulations, l0wt3ch! I am a musician and It is all that I needed and wanted. Very fast and good indeed!
Many thanks!

puprag

alsa and sound cards

#95 Post by puprag »

echo indigo io will not work for me at the moment, tried alsaconf, and modprobe, the drivers are here but they will not work.

also my snd-hda-intel card will not load out the box have to modprobe or alsaconf to get it to work.

also alsaconf is 1.0.20 while alsamixer is v1.0.22, asound is version 1.0.21

trying to find the lupu_devx_507.sfs but I don't think there is one.

puprag

Re: alsa and sound cards

#96 Post by puprag »

puprag wrote:echo indigo io will not work for me at the moment, tried alsaconf, and modprobe, the drivers are here but they will not work.

also my snd-hda-intel card will not load out the box have to modprobe or alsaconf to get it to work.

also alsaconf is 1.0.20 while alsamixer is v1.0.22, asound is version 1.0.21

trying to find the lupu_devx_507.sfs but I don't think there is one.
Downloaded the latests Lucid Puppy 5.1 Release and the problem is still here, getting lupu_devx_510.sfs to see if I can fix this or not.

Of the Ubuntu releases Karmic and Maverick and 10.4 LTS work ok with the Echo indigo io. The problem is with puppy's lupu files getting messed up some how.

l0wt3ch

#97 Post by l0wt3ch »

Thanks puprag.

I'm not sure why the firewire drivers worked in 1.9 (after typing 'modprobe raw1394'), but no longer. (As for alsa, I tried to avoid installing additional packages.)

I'm going to have to spend more time on finding out how to get modules working in Puppy. I haven't had any success getting the line6usb drivers - which work great in Ubuntu Lucid - functioning at all yet.

When I get a chance, I will create a new version from the newly-released Lucid Puppy 5.1.

01micko

#98 Post by 01micko »

l0wt3ch wrote:(snip)
I'm going to have to spend more time on finding out how to get modules working in Puppy. I haven't had any success getting the line6usb drivers - which work great in Ubuntu Lucid - functioning at all yet.

When I get a chance, I will create a new version from the newly-released Lucid Puppy 5.1.
Reminds, me, I gotta get my Zoom pedal out of mothballs and give it a spin in 5.1. Last I used it was in big_bass Slaxer_Pup with the Slackware 12.2 kernel modded for Puppy.

Grabbing 2.1(400M version) now.. might you provide an Xdelta file when you upgrade? TIA.

Let you know how it goes.

Cheers.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

l0wt3ch

#99 Post by l0wt3ch »

Look out folks, here come the big dogs!

puprag

Lucid alsa driver libs

#100 Post by puprag »

l0wt3ch wrote:Thanks puprag.

I'm not sure why the firewire drivers worked in 1.9 (after typing 'modprobe raw1394'), but no longer. (As for alsa, I tried to avoid installing additional packages.)

Had to install 2.20.1-binutils and I install the dev of binutils too not sure if it was needed, also had to --disable-xmlto when building alsa drivers libs and utils
I think I have built the drivers and libs and utils but, I am getting nothing now, no alsamixer, when I do alsaconf it's updated to 1.0.23 can not modprobe anything, I think I need to link against the installed libraries not sure trying to work it out, what has err happened first time building with kernel.

But this is a problem with puppy lucid drivers, libs are broke for some sound cards, even the newest release is the same, not sure I guess we will all have to rebuild it are selfs until one of the lucid pup team rebuild alsa for all sound cards, or comes up with a simpler solution.