Puppy 4.2 "Deep Thought" - Bugs & Fixes

Please post any bugs you have found
Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#81 Post by Béèm »

ttuuxxx wrote:Ok Beem you owe me one for this :wink:
ttuuxxx
Thank you.
Locales went fine also.
Import ok at first sight.
I owe you more then one.
Whenever you come to Brussels, I pay you a couple of Orval beers.
(if you can stand them :wink: )
In my opinion the best Belgian beer.

P.S. In fact, I tried in upup-015. :roll:
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

rhadon

#82 Post by rhadon »

@ Stoil89
Stoil89 wrote:kernel puppy42\vmlinuz
append initrd=puppy42\initrd.gz pmedia=usbflash
If this really is written in your menu.lst try using slash instead of backslash :wink:
kernel /puppy42/vmlinuz
append initrd=puppy42/initrd.gz pmedia=usbflash
I would use it in this way:
kernel /puppy42/vmlinuz pmedia=usbflash psubdir=puppy42
initrd /puppy42/initrd.gz
cheers
Rolf
Ich verwende "frugal", und das ist gut so. :wink:
Raspberry Pi without Puppy? No, thanks.

trio

#83 Post by trio »

@davesurrey

Hi,

No. 1 and 2
Please use jwmtrayfix patch in whodo's 4.2 official patches and updates thread

No. 3
Actually it is working. But the default sidebars size are very small to safe space. Preview will be useful if you create your own normal size sidebar

No. 4 and 5
Can't answer

@keef
Hi,

I don't have any of your problem. But if you blame pwidgets, then maybe your system can't handle it (not familiar with your dell spec)
If that's the case then that's what the pwidgets stop button there for.

Cheers all

trio

#84 Post by trio »

Warren,

may I suggest that you put a link to 4.2 official patches and updates thread in your signature? that way people won't have to search and also you could easily answer "link below" :lol:

thanks

davesurrey

#85 Post by davesurrey »

Hello trio,
Thanks for answering my post.
No. 1 and 2
I did apply the patch after the install but although it fixes the freememory characters problem it doesn't change this one. Please see attached jpg produced by 2 Refresh Menus and one Hide then Show of left and right trays.
As I said I have seen and reported this before in a beta/rc thread and it was fixed by the next release. But error has come back. I'll try to see where I reported it.

I also tried ttuuxx's alternative 420 and this has a slighty similar problem in that Refresh Menus produces extra icons for volume/network/freemem at bottom right corner. No answer from him yet and as this was a problem in an rc/beta (reported also) I wonder if you know what fixed it.

Grateful for any info you have trio as ever although I know this is 420 bug thread.

Cheers
Dave
Attachments
420 blinky problem.jpg
(50.5 KiB) Downloaded 340 times

trio

#86 Post by trio »

davesurrey wrote:Hello trio,
Thanks for answering my post.
No. 1 and 2
I did apply the patch after the install but although it fixes the freememory characters problem it doesn't change this one. Please see attached jpg produced by 2 Refresh Menus and one Hide then Show of left and right trays.
As I said I have seen and reported this before in a beta/rc thread and it was fixed by the next release. But error has come back. I'll try to see where I reported it.

I also tried ttuuxx's alternative 420 and this has a slighty similar problem in that Refresh Menus produces extra icons for volume/network/freemem at bottom right corner. No answer from him yet and as this was a problem in an rc/beta (reported also) I wonder if you know what fixed it.

Grateful for any info you have trio as ever although I know this is 420 bug thread.

Cheers
Dave
aah easy fix (i use only the blinkydelayed file from previous puppy) please do the below alteration:

/usr/bin/blinkydelayed

#!/bin/sh
#launched in JWM taskbar, delay needed due to a bug in JWM 1.8.
killall blinky
sleep 2
exec blinky $@

and please don't mix with ttuuxxx fixes

trio

#87 Post by trio »

Warren

please test & update the jwmtrayfix with this one.
how to test:
-try to change jwm theme
-try to refresh menus
-try to turn on/off ptray top/left/right

Thanks
Attachments
jwmtraypatch_update.pet
(22.26 KiB) Downloaded 313 times
Last edited by trio on Wed 01 Apr 2009, 09:27, edited 1 time in total.

ttuuxxx

#88 Post by ttuuxxx »

trio wrote:Warren

please update the jwmtrayfix with this one.

Thanks
Shouldn't you wait for results before updating the package?
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

trio

#89 Post by trio »

ttuuxxx wrote:

Thanks
ttuuxxx
well, it's supposed to be an easy fix..but whodo may also test, and that's why i don't want to upload myself to the official thread

and ttuuxx;
do you already pet up the latest jwm for us to test? :lol:

ttuuxxx

#90 Post by ttuuxxx »

trio wrote:
ttuuxxx wrote:

Thanks
ttuuxxx
well, it's supposed to be an easy fix..but whodo may also test, and that's why i don't want to upload myself to the official thread

and ttuuxx;
do you already pet up the latest jwm for us to test? :lol:
I've been busy test the latest fluxbox, It would take some good configuring to get that working proper out of the box, I did find a gui for some menu things but it doesn't make a xdg menu, just a tiny menu, and also I find it gives users too much control via the gui, that newbeeeeee's would mess it up quickly, But I do feel it deserves a proper look at, it has many really nice themes like Icewm for it.
I'll compile the JWM , brb
ttuuxxx

davesurrey

#91 Post by davesurrey »

Hi trio:
Your pet fix (jwmtraypatch_update) worked perfectly and solved these 2 bugs in 420. Many thanks.

Initially I tried to find /usr/bin/blinkydelayed but can't find any such file????? What gives?

As I said ttuuxxx's version of 420 has similar but not the same blinky bugs. But you say don't mix with ttuuxxx's fixes. Well as I haven't got anything from him is it okay to try yours on his? Or are you saying he may have included fixes already in his iso.

Thanks again.

ttuuxxx

#92 Post by ttuuxxx »

Here's the latest released April fools day :)

If it complains about anything like fontconfig I'll update it, I have the latest fontconfig installed on my pc so I'm not sure, it will tell you straight up.
ttuuxxx
Attachments
jwm-456-i386.pet
(69.38 KiB) Downloaded 309 times
Last edited by ttuuxxx on Wed 01 Apr 2009, 09:51, edited 1 time in total.

ttuuxxx

#93 Post by ttuuxxx »

davesurrey wrote:Hi trio:
Your pet fix (jwmtraypatch_update) worked perfectly and solved these 2 bugs in 420. Many thanks.

Initially I tried to find /usr/bin/blinkydelayed but can't find any such file????? What gives?

As I said ttuuxxx's version of 420 has similar but not the same blinky bugs. But you say don't mix with ttuuxxx's fixes. Well as I haven't got anything from him is it okay to try yours on his? Or are you saying he may have included fixes already in his iso.

Thanks again.
Dave give it a shot, you can always uninstall it :) and post the results, If they work well, I'll include it in a update :)
ttuuxxx

trio

#94 Post by trio »

ttuuxxx wrote:
davesurrey wrote:Hi trio:

Thanks again.
Dave give it a shot, you can always uninstall it :) and post the results, If they work well, I'll include it in a update :)
ttuuxxx
well, glad it worked...why i said not to mix the fixes is because ttuuxxx altered the refreshmenus/fixmenus/menu-fix ...which i would not want to encourage since I don't know what other things will be related. My fix is only putting things back where it belongs and a little tweak. But that's it, nothing more.

But, it's up to you

if you don't have the /usr/bin/blinkydelayed then you haven't install the previous jwmfix before this..but anyway..now it worked..that's what matters..so Whodo..please update..thanks

davesurrey

#95 Post by davesurrey »

Tried the trio updated pet in ttuuxxx's 420 and the bug is still there but manifests itself differently now. See before and after shots.
Suggest this moves to ttuuxxx's 420 thread as I don't want to mess up this "virgin" bug fix thread.
Okay???
Dave
Attachments
after.jpg
(17.68 KiB) Downloaded 284 times
before.jpg
(42.24 KiB) Downloaded 260 times

davesurrey

#96 Post by davesurrey »

trio wrote:
if you don't have the /usr/bin/blinkydelayed then you haven't install the previous jwmfix before this..
Aha that explains it. I had applied the patch originally but when I saw you had an upgraded one I un-installed the original pet. Then looked for the /usr/bin/blinkydelayed file and that's why I couldnt find it. Okay all clear now.
Dave

davesurrey

#97 Post by davesurrey »

Well I'm sorry to report this but the two blinky problems have come back.
( numbers 1 and 2 of my orig post).

I did a complete reinstall of 420 frugal and applied the new jwmtraypatch_update and both problems resurfaced.

I did a reboot to ensure any changes really had taken but same problems occured.

I was not 100% sure if the jwmtraypatch_update should be installed with or instead of jwmtrayfix so tried both methods and same problems.
(which is it by the way?)

As I have had some success but not now I suggest this is some timing issue and I guess some will see it and others not depending on their PC. But I don't believe my PC is any faster or slower than a great many which folk will be looking to install 420 on.

Dave

trio

#98 Post by trio »

davesurrey wrote:Well I'm sorry to report this but the two blinky problems have come back.
( numbers 1 and 2 of my orig post).

I did a complete reinstall of 420 frugal and applied the new jwmtraypatch_update and both problems resurfaced.

I did a reboot to ensure any changes really had taken but same problems occured.

I was not 100% sure if the jwmtraypatch_update should be installed with or instead of jwmtrayfix so tried both methods and same problems.
(which is it by the way?)

As I have had some success but not now I suggest this is some timing issue and I guess some will see it and others not depending on their PC. But I don't believe my PC is any faster or slower than a great many which folk will be looking to install 420 on.

Dave
Dave

I added the fix on both my laptops & works OK! No, you should only install the update one. Not timing issue. You look for /usr/bin/blinkydelayed and see if there's a killall blinky line

@ttuuxxx

JWM update:

no complaints......thx

trio

#99 Post by trio »

whodo

I see you've updated jwmtraypatch in the official thread...but you did not delete the older jwmtrayfix? Please delete when you have the time...thanks

& you"ve been quiet here mate :lol:
Last edited by trio on Wed 01 Apr 2009, 12:27, edited 1 time in total.

davesurrey

#100 Post by davesurrey »

trio,
killall blnky
is there alright. And I checked in petget that the pet is installed.
Then I un-installed and re-installed your updated pet and now all is well again. Really really confusing.

EDIT; WELL I SPOKE TOO SOON AS THESE 2 BUGS CAME BACK AGAIN.
So I did 3 frugal installs to 3 PCs, one faster and the other much more ancient and slower than my test PC and they all exhibit the problem.
Well I think I have spent enough time on this today and as no-one here seems interested except trio (plus nothing about the other bugs) I think I get the message and will call it a day.

Clutching at straws here but I did notice that installing these pets I didn't get the usual finished install window although they were registered in petget. I don't even get the remax update pet registered in petget but this may be an entirely diff isuue. I know that petget did have some issues before. But I doubt it's that. Oh well. Fingers crossed now.
Last edited by davesurrey on Wed 01 Apr 2009, 15:07, edited 1 time in total.