TEENpup 2008 is ready

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
john biles

#81 Post by john biles »

Hello Everyone,
Those trying to listen to internet radio, some with be successful, some not.
While as in the screenshot some internet radio stations work with mms other done?
I spent a large amount of time on this with some success.
So to those who find it works, good! but for those it doesn't if you discover a fix please post how you did it.
Attachments
Playing Internet radio mms.jpg
(104.69 KiB) Downloaded 832 times
Legacy OS 2017 has been released.

quasimodal

Upgraded TeenPup2008 with Puppy 2.17.1

#82 Post by quasimodal »

I installed TeenPup2008 on HD and love it, but was having problems with the Puppy 2.14 sound driver ( Avance AC'97 with VIA onboard chipset ). I just pulled out the 2.17.1 live-cd and installed it on top of TP2008 and the sound driver is working fine, no hiccups.

I had a few problems, such as in the Puppy install program where the PET package window winks out when I click on the list of availible PET packages. On the other hand, I can still download the Puppy-2 PET files and install them with the local file option. No big problems so far.

The 2.6.21 kernel consumes more than 128M of memory, but I may try to install the 2.14 version TeenPup2008 on my old PII 128M machine and see how it works with my ancient AWE 64 board.

I love this release of TeenPup, it feels very solid and mature ( barring a few application-level issues and some learning curves on my part ). I've been on the lagging edge of multimedia, but that's going to change when I see up my little recording studio using the applications in the new TeenPup.

Thank you. An admirable distribution.

- Bill B.

Qiyasea

#83 Post by Qiyasea »

Hi John (or anyone else who may have a solution)
Just wondering if you had a chance to figure out why I'm unable to connect to the internet on Teenpup (or on Puppy Linux). I have no problems using the internet on Ubuntu 7.10 using the same computer (though I've only used wireless).

Any help would be appreciated. Thx.
Qiyasea wrote:Oh, thanks John for your quick reply! I appreciate your time & know how busy you are.

The Wizard recognizes the Ethernet "connection", but I can't get onto the internet. When I click the "test" button, it says there is a signal or connection or whatever for the ethernet. But when I go to set the DCHP?? the result comes back "unsuccessful". I'll try it again & see what happens as I loaded it only once.

Thanks a lot!

Edit: The laptop sticker says "802.11 b/g wireless LAN". That is the only info I have re wifi.

Update: Ran Kwifimanager - says "no networks detected"

Ran RutilT. 2 identical windows pop up. "Critical error. Can't get the frequency/channel. Code: 19"

Any ideas what to do next?

Thx!

randcoop

#84 Post by randcoop »

This is for Koolie and Sage. While both of you want to assert that there is a correct way to pluralize MP3 and the like, that is actually a question of considerable dispute. First, from the Oxford English Grammar:

"Plurals of letters are usually formed by adding apostrophe and s if doing so avoids confusion." The example given is A's and B's or i's and y's. The reference book then says, "the apostrophe is sometimes added when there is no confusion, but this practice is considered unnecessary."

As to whether there is confusion here regarding MP3's and whether MP3s would be better, I leave that to the readers of the forum. I do note, though, that the use of apostrophes would not be incorrect.

See also for this the New York Times Manual of Style and Usage:

"Use apostrophes in the plurals of abbreviations and in plurals formed from letters and figures: M.D.'s; C.P.A's; TV's; VCR's...(Many publications omit such apostrophes, but they are needed to make The Times's all-cap headlines intelligible and are therefore used throughout the paper for consistency)."

Surely, Koolie does not want to suggest (as in that first page comment) that people who adhere either to Oxford's or the New York Times's approach must not have gone to school.

Sorry for the rant...I just found the comment a bit rough and thought the record should be set straight.

DreamsToGo
Location: Castelnaudary, south France, World Capital of Cassoulet

#85 Post by DreamsToGo »

Hi All,

I just wanted to share this, applies to a hard drive installation,

A) if you get an error meesage at boot saying that /etc/TZ does not exist, just create it and add your time zone to it, eg Europe/Paris (in my case). This avoids the error message

B) if you get an error about 915resolution atboot time, you can avoid it by finding the file /etc/resolutionfix and commenting out the first line. I don't know what 915resolution does but making this change made absolutely no difference to my system, except I no longer get the error message.

Hilary

DreamsToGo

#86 Post by DreamsToGo »

Hi All,

When I boot TeenPUP from the hard disk, I occasionally get an error saying the x windows failed to start and that either I should run the xorgwizard or type xwin to start the x windows server. I say occasionally because it doesn't happen on every boot.

If I type xwin, it starts with no problems.

Does anyone know what this might be caused by? I have searched the forums but cannot find anything that ight be relevant.

Hilary

john biles

#87 Post by john biles »

Hello DreamsToGo,
I don't know how much different this would make, but along time ago while experimenting with earlier versions of Puppy on older pentium II PC's, I could only install Puppy to their Hard Drives using EXT2 and not EXT3 etc.

Since this older format worked for me, I've continued to use it when I install any puppy version to my Hard Drive.
I don't know if this makes any different to needing to type "xwin" in to bring up your desktop. For me this happens about once a month on average.

Hello Qiyasea,
I think like alot of us and if I take User DreamsToGo as an example with her excellent work on how to setup up TEENpup and Puppy to file share her Music collect between her 4 PC's. What started out original was a posting by DreamsToGo for help on setting up her file sharing which finally led her to discover by herself how it could be done.
I for one have learnt alot from this forum, but I had to do alot of searching for answers myself.
I hope someone will be able to help you and I also suggest you post your question under "Puppy 2.14 user" help needed can't setup wireless in regular area of this forum.
The reason for this is not everyone is interested in TEENpup compared to Puppy and I sure there's a Puppy user who has got your setup working under Puppy 2.14.

Sage

#88 Post by Sage »

One elle or two?! James Bond and Lord Stansgate knew the difference....

setecio

#89 Post by setecio »

DreamsToGo wrote:Hi All,

When I boot TeenPUP from the hard disk, I occasionally get an error saying the x windows failed to start and that either I should run the xorgwizard or type xwin to start the x windows server. I say occasionally because it doesn't happen on every boot.

If I type xwin, it starts with no problems.

Does anyone know what this might be caused by? I have searched the forums but cannot find anything that ight be relevant.

Hilary
Well I always get that message in NOP if the previous shut down has not completed properly, eg. if the battery ran out and the computer turned off without me going through the quit - shutdown routine, or if I hold the on/off button down to force an immediate shut down. All I o is type xwin and it recovers, but it only occurs in NOP on not achieving a proper shutdown before.

DreamsToGo

#90 Post by DreamsToGo »

Hello John, Setecio,

Concerning the failed X meesage at boot time.

1) I also run ext2 and this is not a cause of the problem.
2) Setecio is right - this behaviour should only happen if X fails to stop correctly, ie when the PC stops unexpectedly, because,

I have been investigating the start up scripts and in particular one called xwin which starts the x server. The Puppy developers have created a file called /etc/.XLOADED which has one line in it. When X starts correctly the flag 'true' is set in this file so that Puppy knows that X was loaded. When X stops correctly this flag is set to 'false'.

The xwin start up script looks at the file /etc/.XLOADED and if it finds 'true' in the file it knows that X ended abnormally, so it gives the error message that we see. If it does not find 'true' it knows that X ended normally, so it continues the start up script.

Remark : the mesasge printed to the console is somewhat misleading, it should read something like - 'The last time the PC shut down it shut down abnormally so you should either run xorgwizard to ensure X parameters are set correctly or xwin to start X'

Remark : What I don't know is why the developers needed to put this code into the start up script. My natural reaction to an abnormal shut down would be, so what? But this must have something to do with the way Puppy is booted - which is very different from other linuxes.

Sage

#91 Post by Sage »

Apologies if it's already been reported - TP has the same installing 'feature' as Dingo:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 898#181898
except it's an even bigger show stopper for a derivative that benefits most from a FULL install.
Can't be sure that BK's blog fix fixes it - rather beyond my ken.

john biles

#92 Post by john biles »

HellobSage,
I went to the link given and are you saying that there are Lines also missing in the Puppy Hard Drive installer used in TEENpup?

I've installed TEENpup to 2 PC's and 1 Laptop with no problems?

Can you please spell out what's wrong so I can continue to mprove TEENpup in the next release.

Sage

#93 Post by Sage »

Ah, but did you use Frugal or FULL? I only use the latter. The CD ejects rather than start decompressing and installing files. It's never happened before and I've installed all versions from about 0.5.

john biles

#94 Post by john biles »

Hello Sage,
I normally boot up TEENpup and gpart the hard drive and format it in ext2. I then run the Hard Drive installer and choose IDE (ATA) internal hard drive and the installer copies the files to my hard drive. I did find on a older PC with a 4X speed CD Drive that I had to mount the drive first with Pmount or the installer wouldn't find the required files and copy them to my Hard Drive.

Sage how old is your PC? does Puppy 2.14 install on it as I didn't change anything to do with the installer?

john biles

#95 Post by john biles »

Hello Sage,
I just had a look at the Puppyinstaller script in TEENpup 2008 and went to check line 1138 as discribled by Barry K and the version of Puppyinstaller used in TEENpup 2008 only goes to line 1112 so the installers used are different between Dingo Alpha 7 and TEENpup 2008.
So most likely Puppy 2.14 doesn't support your PC as well.

Sage

#96 Post by Sage »

"Sage how old is your PC?"
Which one? Presently I use a selection of around fifty for testing, but can easily put up more on the bench. Some are ~ten years old, the newest <2months.
"choose IDE (ATA) internal hard drive and the installer copies the files to my hard drive"
Ominous? Are you describing the Frugal install? I never use that - I always choose a Full install for all the reasons described previously.
" a 4X speed CD Drive"
Unwise, as most drives <~36x won't read a CD-RW. If you are using CD-R you are contributing to acceleration of planet destruction as well as wasting your dosh.
"mount the drive first" I see that message, but it shouldn't be necessary. Yours is the only derivative that requires it, so you should be able to apply the necessary auto-mounting mods, whatever?
Since this seems a popular variant, it would be worth spending time tidying up some of the loose ends? An Aussie would do well to remove the double entry of USA in the k/b selection panel which has been there for far too long. Indeed, since they don't need any accents, you could eliminate them completely and force them to write 'proper' English!!

john biles

#97 Post by john biles »

Hello Sage,
I run and use the Puppy installer from the menu. I don't copy the files from the CD manually then add the grub bootloader, I let the Puppy installer do all it all.
The PC with a 4x speed CD drive is an old HP and if I run the Puppy installer when it gets to the part where it says install puppy from CD or from a folder, if I haven't mounted the CD drive first, the Puppy installer says that the CD wasn't found. What is strange is that Puppy will bootup on this CD Drive but the drive won't play music CD's but will see data CD's?

P.S In relation the "mount the drive first" and TEENpup being the only Puppy based version that requires this and I should fix this and other so called problems is untrue. It doesn't matter if I'm installing TEENpup or any other version Puppy with this old CD Drive, It wants the iso mounted before it will read it and install TEENpup / Puppy to the Hard Drive.

As for this Quote "An Aussie would do well to remove the double entry of USA in the k/b selection panel which has been there for far too long. Indeed, since they don't need any accents, you could eliminate them completely and force them to write 'proper' English!!" Call me dumb, but I have no idea what your talking about?

Sage

#98 Post by Sage »

OK, john, I am guilty of co-mingling a number of factors.

The first and most vital to establish is whether you are selecting FRUGAL or FULL installation. Please advise ASAP so we can at least clear that up before addressing the other issues.

Ta.

ttuuxxx

#99 Post by ttuuxxx »

Hey John have you tried installing xmms and then file association the wav extensions? Most of the time puppy isn't setup to play wav files off the boot. Well with Gxine if you open it up, then click file/CD and it should play straight away.
but if I try to search the cd with pmount I get a red screen. And I have a new dvd burner, Its not the hardware, its the software.
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

Sage

#100 Post by Sage »

Looks as if the sun has gone down in Oz and john has beaten a path to his local?