Wine 1.0 and Wine 1.1.23

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
battleshooter

Solved :)

#81 Post by battleshooter »

Managed to figure it out myself. Just downloaded Slackware Wine package, 'tgz2peted' it, moved /root/.wine/drive_c to /mnt/home instead and created symlink /root/.wine/drive_c. Seems to work ok. Typing this in Wine Internet Explorer.

nath2omt

wine 1.0 puppy 4.0

#82 Post by nath2omt »

Installed wine-1.0.pet (alone) to puppy 4.0 (full installation). Then installed (said complete) a windows-based kid game. But when double-clicked the .exe file under ~/.wine/drive_c/ ..., it said cannot find the CD with an error -857 or -758.

Other package(s) needed, or some steps need to be taken? Thanks!

mikeb

#83 Post by mikeb »

Installed wine-1.0.pet (alone) to puppy 4.0 (full installation). Then installed (said complete) a windows-based kid game. But when double-clicked the .exe file under ~/.wine/drive_c/ ..., it said cannot find the CD with an error -857 or -758.
run 'winecfg' and add your cd in the 'drives' tab

May be what's needed

mike

nath2omt

#84 Post by nath2omt »

Thanks Mike for pointing to the right direction. Indeed, all what's needed was to change D: / to D: /mnt/hdc/. To do that I read this link: http://www.winehq.org/site/docs/wineusr ... -wine-main

PaulBx1

#85 Post by PaulBx1 »

I can't get the wine pet from the server; I get this message:

Code: Select all

The requested URL /tpp/bugs/wine-1.0.pet was not found on this server.
Maybe this needs to be added to another repository, so if this server is down we still have access to it.

Dingo

#86 Post by Dingo »

you can download wine 1.1.7 version from dokupuppy
http://puppylover.netsons.org/dokupuppy/programs:wine
replace .co.cc with .info to get access to stuff I posted in forum
dropbox 2GB free
OpenOffice for Puppy Linux

jeffrey

#87 Post by jeffrey »

It looks like all the software has been removed from http://puppylinux.ca/ (for example the /tpp folder is gone). The alternative of http://puppylover.netsons.org/dokupuppy/programs:wine takes me to http://salis.sutteryuba.com/cms.php?action=18&d=wine which is so slow as to be impractical (under 10kB/minute).
Are there copies of wine for Puppy out there? (Let's not all go there at once unless they've got a big pipe!)

Dingo

#88 Post by Dingo »

added another mirror in page for wine 1.1.7, try
http://puppylover.netsons.org/dokupuppy/programs:wine
replace .co.cc with .info to get access to stuff I posted in forum
dropbox 2GB free
OpenOffice for Puppy Linux

jeffrey

#89 Post by jeffrey »

Thanks. Sharenload.com is good.

vtpup

#90 Post by vtpup »

Running 1.1.7:

Can't seem to figure out how to turn off sound in the Audio tab of Wine Config. ALSA is checked there, but I can't figure out how to uncheck it. The instructions even suggest unchecking as a possibility, but how?

I want to do this because I'm trying to run the game Crayon Physics, and all links I've found suggest it runs with sound turned off, and the addition of msvcp60.dll, which I have installed in the Crayon directory.

Can others uncheck or disable sound?

Thanks!

_MegadetH_

#91 Post by _MegadetH_ »

I installed wine 1.1.7 and after installation there are some dependance missing as you can see in the attachment.
What's the problem?
Attachments
error.png
dependances missing
(35.47 KiB) Downloaded 1241 times

vtpup

#92 Post by vtpup »

You're missing those libraries for a complete Wine install. As are most other people.

You can either ignore the message or find the missing libraries online and add them.

Wine uses a great many libraries for a huge number of different windows applications. Not every program running under Wine needs every library.

Also, again a request:

Are other users able to uncheck ALSA Driver in the Audio tab of Wine Config for the Default Settings?

I can't, and I want to know if it is just me, or whether it is a fact of life in Wine 1.1.7

_MegadetH_

#93 Post by _MegadetH_ »

vtpup wrote:You're missing those libraries for a complete Wine install. As are most other people.

You can either ignore the message or find the missing libraries online and add them.

Wine uses a great many libraries for a huge number of different windows applications. Not every program running under Wine needs every library.
ok!thanks. Right now it worked even without those libraries to run Rapget app.

Another question: I've puppy installed to hdb1 and I've few free memory in that partition. Is it possible to install and run programs with wine in another a different partition for example hdb3?

vtpup

#94 Post by vtpup »

Another question: I've puppy installed to hdb1 and I've few free memory in that partition. Is it possible to install and run programs with wine in another a different partition for example hdb3?
Just tried something and it worked:

In Rox:

1.) move the hidden /root/.wine directory to its new location.
2.) right click and drag it from its new location back to /root/ but this time choose Link Absolute. This makes a symlink to it.

It seemed to work when I moved it on my frugal install to /mnt/home. I don't have another drive or partition on this laptop to test it across that. But it probably will work fine. Probably would even work across a network mnt, but I haven't tried that yet. Think I'll leave it in /mnt/home -- I just gained back about 300 megs in my personal save file!

Hey you multiple puplet booters, how about accessing a single location for .wine in all your puplets so you don't have to waste space in each one?

Now, Megadebt, will you answer my simple question earlier, or do I have to give you some really bad advice next time you post?

mikeb

#95 Post by mikeb »

Moving the .wine folder out of the pup_save works as long as it's to a filesystem than supports symlinks..eg ext2/3.

If only fat/ntfs available an ext2 image file could be used mounted on .wine.

Moving the .wine outside of the union is/was needed to get wine gecko working

regards

mike

davids45

#96 Post by davids45 »

G'day mikeb & vtpup,

mikeb,
could you expand on your comment about moving .wine "outside of the union" to get "wine gecko working"? I have had an XP program I wanted to run under wine and it wanted the mozilla gecko engine installed but I could not get it to go past this step.

vtpup,
I run over 10 Frugal Pups from a single wine.sfs. I run all my Pups, frugal and full with a single Seamonkey/Mail/Addressbook profile (using lots of symlinks) on my dedicated data partition. So I'll have a go trying the common .wine for the full Pups you've suggested. Being a desktop, the saving of a few hundred megabytes is not an issue for my computer - it's the fun that counts.

David S.

_MegadetH_

#97 Post by _MegadetH_ »

vtpup wrote:
Just tried something and it worked:

In Rox:

1.) move the hidden /root/.wine directory to its new location.
2.) right click and drag it from its new location back to /root/ but this time choose Link Absolute. This makes a symlink to it.

It seemed to work when I moved it on my frugal install to /mnt/home. I don't have another drive or partition on this laptop to test it across that. But it probably will work fine. Probably would even work across a network mnt, but I haven't tried that yet. Think I'll leave it in /mnt/home -- I just gained back about 300 megs in my personal save file!

Hey you multiple puplet booters, how about accessing a single location for .wine in all your puplets so you don't have to waste space in each one?

Now, Megadebt, will you answer my simple question earlier, or do I have to give you some really bad advice next time you post?
Ah sorry I forgot to see your question. Anyway I tried right now and my Wine version can uncheck Alsa driver. I don't know what's wrong with your version,sorry. I don't know if it can be helpful for you but I downloaded it here http://sharenload.com/download.php?file ... -1.1.7.pet.

Yesterday before you replied here I found another method:
Wine config/Drivers/ and I added another drive D:/mnt/hda1/windows. windows is a folder I created before where I will store all windows appz.
So when I've to install a program I can choose to install to D: that is located in a different bigger partition. It worked.

By the way I tried to install a videogame "settlers: heritage of kings", and it gives an error: "unable to initialize graphics engine". Do I have to install something like directx or nvidia drivers? I haven't installed nothing for Wine right now.

Now I've to leave for a couple of days and I can't connect. So I can't reply soon.I'll reply asap!
Thanks

vg1

#98 Post by vg1 »

vtpup,

yes, I have a similar setup where all my frugal pups use the same .wine folder in /mnt/home. It all works flawlessly. The benefit is not only that I save space in my save files, but more importantly, the same setup and programs work on all pups and there is no need for multiple setups.
Must be something similar to what davidS reports.
I also use this system for any big appications, firefox, opera, jajuk etc. It all works accross the pupies.

mikeb,

I have the .wine folder on a vfat partition and have never run into problems. Do you mean keeping a small sfs file with just the symlinks in it? I use a similar small .sfs to keep some some customization in so they can be used on multiple puppies.

vg

mikeb

#99 Post by mikeb »

Wow busy thread...
I have the .wine folder on a vfat partition and have never run into problems.
Ah well in my version in dosdevices symlinks are used...may not be needed for all programs...a game needing the cd might be affected...or latest wines use a different method....and I meant a 2fs image file...ie the same as a pup_save file.

moving .wine "outside of the union" to get "wine gecko working"?
ie outside of the puppy file system when running from cd/frugal install/usb.
Usually you should get an option to download/install wine gecko...this works but will not run afterwards after restarting the program.

regards

mike

vtpup

#100 Post by vtpup »

Ah sorry I forgot to see your question. Anyway I tried right now and my Wine version can uncheck Alsa driver. I don't know what's wrong with your version,sorry.
Thanks! :)

Actually I should have asked it in a different way -- are you able to uncheck ALL sound drivers.

The reason I ask is I'm trying to get Crayon Physics running and elsewhere on the internet they say it can be done by disabling sound and adding msvcp60.dll to the program's directory. I can't seem to uncheck sound (Alsa in my case).

I have a feeling it is not due to Wine 1.1.7 per se but possibly related to my computer (Thinkpad T30) sound chips. I will try uninstalling and re-installing wine, but expect to only prove my own insanity that way.