LighthousePup 2.15 FINAL (Formerly 215 Beta5) ISO 182M

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
vg1

#81 Post by vg1 »

C Panic,

to change the colour of the desktop icons font:
right-click on any icon > Rox-filer > options > pinboard > appearance > foreground > choose colour

Colonel Panic

#82 Post by Colonel Panic »

Thanks, it worked.

Colonel Panic

#83 Post by Colonel Panic »

Just one more question if I may; despite changing the GTK Theme in the "Look and Feel Setttings" box, the address box in Opera (which shows the URL of the site I'm browsing) doesn't change accordingly, remaining black with orangey text which is quite hard to read. The same with the "Quick Find" boxes.

I assume this is because of a different toolkit than GTK being employed in Opera's design because SeaMonkey doesn't seem to have this problem, but is there an easy way to change it?

Thanks in advance,

Colonel Panic .

tazoc

address box in Opera hard to read

#84 Post by tazoc »

Hi Colonel Panic,
I've noticed the same issue in certain apps, including Opera, FireFox and OpenOffice, though switching to the theme named 'Default' with MU-GtkThemeChooser usually solves the problem for me.

Another work-around is to highlight the offending text by selecting all of the text with your mouse or Ctrl + A. Still hard to read while you type, but at least I can read it when I'm done.
TazOC
[url=http://www.lhpup.org/][b][size=100]lhpup.org[/size][/b] [img]http://www.lhpup.org/gallery/images/favicon.png[/img][/url] [url=http://www.lhpup.org/release-lhp.htm#602]Lighthouse 64 6.02[/url]

Colonel Panic

Re: address box in Opera hard to read

#85 Post by Colonel Panic »

tazoc wrote:Hi Colonel Panic,

I've noticed the same issue in certain apps, including Opera, FireFox and OpenOffice, though switching to the theme named 'Default' with MU-GtkThemeChooser usually solves the problem for me.
No, Firefox is fine; dont know about Open Office as I don't use it in Puppy. It just seems to be a thing with Opera.
tazoc wrote:Another work-around is to highlight the offending text by selecting all of the text with your mouse or Ctrl + A. Still hard to read while you type, but at least I can read it when I'm done.
TazOC
No, it just changes the colour of the text; the surround stays black. Sorry, I know you're trying to help.

The text window's OK; the problem is with the address and quick search windows. It is a theme problem by the looks of it because the text box which drops down when I click on the side arrows on the right of the search boxes shows up in dark blue (purple?) and light green / yellow, but this doesn't change if I reset the GTK theme even to default.

Stop Press; apologies for the tone of this post, I posted it late at night
and it now seems a bit whining and ungrateful, especially having read of the trouble you've had with your shoulder (which I hope is better now).

You've done a great job with Lighthouse and it's rapidly becoming my favourite OS (I also have Zenwalk installed). It would be nice to get Opera working fully legibly but if not it's not the end of the world, I can live without it.

If I'm honest it's the puzzle factor that's engaging me here too; the fact that I can't figure out why Opera seems to have got stuck with a particular GTK theme that I haven't selected.

Best,

Colonel Panic.

vg1

#86 Post by vg1 »

C.Panic,
could it be that you changed to an opera theme that does this?
If you are sure it's a gtk theme, it seems that simple themes only change some areas while others also change backgrounds etc, like address box in Opera , or background in leafpad etc. Going back to the default theme may not change it as it doesn't address those areas. Try switching to some other themes that do change the background etc but to a colour you like. If after that you switch to a simple theme again the background will stay as it was, but better than before.

If that doesn't work, or you don't like the result, delete /gtkrc and /gtkrc-2.0 [or rename them to /gtkrc~ and gtkrc-2.0~ respectively] restart x-server and try again, using just a simple theme first, not the one you didn't like. The theme swithcher will create those two files again. That fixes it for me. Or you might try overwriting the two gtkrc files with originals from the cd, or from /initrd/pup_ro2, if you have a frugal install. Then try a simple theme again.

Colonel Panic

#87 Post by Colonel Panic »

Thanks for replying, I'll try the suggestion in your second paragraph (changing the themes hasn't worked) when I'm next in Lighthouse; I'm in BuddhaPup at the moment. (3 new Puppy CDs - aren't I lucky?).

Thanks again,

Colonel Panic .

Colonel Panic

#88 Post by Colonel Panic »

vg1 wrote:If that doesn't work, or you don't like the result, delete /gtkrc and /gtkrc-2.0 [or rename them to /gtkrc~ and gtkrc-2.0~ respectively] restart x-server and try again, using just a simple theme first, not the one you didn't like. The theme swithcher will create those two files again. That fixes it for me.
A quick update; I'm in Lighthouse 3.01 now and had the same problem.

I've now deleted these two files and it works fine; I can now actually read the directory & file labels in ROX Filer!

Thanks for your help.

Colonel Panic

#89 Post by Colonel Panic »

Another quick update; now that I've added some extra RAM I've burnt a copy of Lighthouse 3.01 to CD and am using it to post now. It'll probably only be temporary since it uses obsolete and no longer supported software (Firefox 2.0.0.11 for example), but all the same I have to say I like it a lot; it has a sort of "old school" Linux feel IMO.

And thanks again vg1 for the "theme changing" tip :)
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.