Rudy edition

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Chouca

#81 Post by Chouca »

Debernardis,
plus an experimental suspend script for laptops (I am not sure it will work on *your* machine).
Is the script itself available to try? I am afraid that Rudypuppy is a bit to big for my old laptop :cry:

I have tried a number of ways to get my Dell600 to suspend - and suspend is normally OK but resume results in a coma-sleep.... The only way to get out of this state is brutal power off :o

Martin

Hanso

#82 Post by Hanso »

You might take a look here

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 425c7efbba

(because of copy problems: it is in Users, Topic Suspent script)

Hanso

Hanso

#83 Post by Hanso »

Sorry, think I was wrong (my Opera crashes whenever "trying" to copy, it under wine)

This was the script provided by Raffy

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 179fd45588

and now I'll try to give you the correct side:

or better "Wake after suspend" in the Hardware section.

Hanso

seaside

Text editors Geany and Leafpad do not show window close X

#84 Post by seaside »

Just downloaded your latest (and very extensive) Rudy and found it chock full of very
useful and attractive programs. I especially liked the statistical programs.

I'm using Puppies at 800 X 600 resolution (better for my eyes) and all of the programs except Geany and Leafpad show correctly with the close X and scrollbar. I kept thinking what could be different about those two programs and was stumped, as all the other puppies I've tried didn't have the problem.

I tested 1024 and higher resolutions and Geany and Leafpad showed correctly.

Just now, I ran Gxine in 800 resolution and while it worked, when I went to set preferences in the menu, no text showed there. After running in a terminal two errors came up.

Code: Select all

(gxine:7603): Pango-WARNING **: shape engine failure, expect ugly output. the offending font is 'Nimbus Sans L, Condensed 9.9990234375 
(gxine:7603): Pango-WARNING **: shape engine failure, expect ugly output. the offending font is 'Nimbus Sans L, Condensed 12 
I tested Gxine in 1024 resolution and did not get those errors and the text did show up in preferences. I don't know whether the Gxine situation is related to the Geany Leafpad one because running Geany or Leafpad in a terminal produced no errors at 800 or 1024 resolutions.

Any ideas on what might be going on?

debernardis

#85 Post by debernardis »

Hello puppians, I am here mainly to apologize for not having maintained
rudypuppy, and for not having replied to some of your posts in the last 5-6 months. This happens because I have no more spare time after caring for my daughter, who is now a toddler running everywhere, after my work, and because of all the problems of everyday life.
I am still using rudypuppy for my job and home tasks, and it still proves quick and useful, while also using a nokia n800 linux-based tablet pc as a pocket-sized desktop replacement. Puppy would be great on such a powerful and mid-low cost machine, but it should be compiled for an ARM processor, and this is too hard a job for me. I hope someone will do the port.

What made me laugh is that I found on Ebay a guy who is actually *selling* rudypuppy cd's! Here the google cached copy:
http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache:kt ... nokia-wifi

Oh well. Nice :-)

So, greetings to you all; I hope I'll come back to this friendly community when things settle a little bit. a little bit.

darrelljon

#86 Post by darrelljon »

That's me.

debernardis

#87 Post by debernardis »

darrelljon wrote:That's me.
Did you manage selling some? I'd be proud of that 8)

darrelljon

#88 Post by darrelljon »

Not yet. I was impressed with Rudy as it was the first Puppy to include OpenOffice 2 and Firefox 2. I'm a bit concerned beginners will find it unusual that the icons on the desktop represent open applications (which is partly why I didn't include a screenshot). I've relisted it (and some others) under the "Windows XP" category because I hope to convert Windows users.

veronicathecow

#89 Post by veronicathecow »

Time after time I try another Puppy and time after time I re-install Rudy! That says it all really.
Hi debernardis if ever you do another Rudy based on Puppy 3 (which has better Xorg you would have lots of grateful fans.
Cheers
Tony

Colonel Panic

#90 Post by Colonel Panic »

Hi. I've just booted this one up for the first time since adding more RAM to my machine and I have to say it's a fine effort, it's got the proverbial Out house sink on board. It needs the full 512 MB though (and also uses 350 MB of my 760 MB swap).

It's similar to Teenpup in some ways (such as being based on Puppy 2.14) but is "geekier" than Teenpup with a science, statistics and system rescue bias. I'm wondering whether a version based on Open Office 3 and Puppy 4 would go well nowadays; it seemed to have a limited audience at the time (2007) though those who used it seemed happy with it.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

Puppyt

#91 Post by Puppyt »

Onyer, Colonel Panic for digging back this far to unearth us relics -

RudyPuppy was/is gob-smacking brilliance. Great for wannabe-geeks like myself who want to dip their toes into heavy scientific applications, on out-moded hardware. emil is working on something similar with a "Math Pup II" -type project with updated stats and geometry programmes in Puppy4, and I've been successful in downloading and installing recent FreeMind/FreeMind Scholar into Puppy4 - but truth be known the absence of debernadis from the evolving puppy scene these last few years has left a huge void.

RudyPuppy is easily one of the all-time-best pupplets.

Colonel Panic

#92 Post by Colonel Panic »

Thanks for replying Puppyt. Now that I've got 512 MB of RAM on my machine, I'm going back and trying out some of the old Pups I've got which didn't run very well in 256 MB.

I agree that Rudy is an excellent Pup; the browsers are a bit antiquated though.

It's easy to replace Seamonkey with the excellent static builds from Philippe's site. Dennis McCunney was good enough to link to in a thread here) and I think Firefox could be replaced with a gtk1 build from the same site.

Here's the link;

http://www.lamarelle.org/

(I'm posting from Philippe's Seamonkey 1.1.19 now btw).

Open Office could probably also be replaced with Open Office 3, which opens the latest Word files; this would be a more difficult project IMO as the files are more dispersed, but I expect it could be done.

I rarely use OO anyway, Abiword suffices for most of my word processing needs (though the Textmaker pet's quite good too if you don't need a spell checker).
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

Colonel Panic

#93 Post by Colonel Panic »

Another quick update; sadly, browsing is definitely the weak point of this Pup.

Firefox 2.0.0.2 keeps crashing, and the one I replaced it with (Philippe's Firefox 2.0.0.20 with gtk1) locked up on me. Still, Seamonkey 1.0.6 works if you don't need spell checking (as does Philippe's Seamonkey package, although that one requires some editing of the menu for convenience's sake).

Back posting in 4.20 SUE now; the later Puppies are easier to live with IMO (apart from the fact the 4 series kernel won't pick up all my partitions - but that can be accommodated for).

Best,

CP .