Yara OSX 3

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
fmiguel

#81 Post by fmiguel »

LazY Puppy wrote:Any chance to disable slingscold's transparency?
Disabling compiz, so changing window manager to another without composition efects.

xfconf-query -c xfce4-session -p /sessions/Failsafe/Client0_Command -n -a -t string -s "xfwm4"

xfconf-query -c xfwm4 -p /general/use_compositing -t bool -s false

Before restart x and all effects, included transparency, will disable.

And if you only want return to opaque panel:

sed -i 's/value="95"/value="100"/g' /etc/xdg/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-panel.xml
sed -i 's/value="90"/value="100"/g' /etc/xdg/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-panel.xml

And restart x.

LazY Puppy

#82 Post by LazY Puppy »

Thanks for that info. Though, I don't want to disable the compiz completely, just the transparency of slingscold (the full screen menu). If that can't be done, I'll keep it as is.
Edit: I'm very interested in your works in Yara. When possible, you know, upload for tests.
Assuming you mean the scripts for changing desktop and wallpaper by script but not the complete T.O.P.L.E.S.S. LazY Puppy 5 based on Yara 1.3(.2)?

So here are the scripts.

I named them to xfce-switch-vmgroup and xfce-switch-wallpaper.

The script xfce-switch-vmgroup:

This script should work out of the box if there are 10 desktops (5 in a row by 2 rows). Otherwise it needs some modification as I'm using an graphical raster to calculate the positions of the desktops in the desktop blackboard (won't work with the desktop cube (though, at least I couldn't activate the cube-view)).

At first the script gets current screen resolution and calculates positions for rows and columns. I found 7 columns and 6 rows will fit very well on a screen size of 1280x1024 by a use of 5 desktops per row and 2 rows of desktops - which makes 10 desktops then.
# Get screen geometry
ScreenSizew=`xrandr | grep current | awk '{print $8}'`
ScreenSizeh=`xrandr | grep current | awk '{print $10}' | tr -cd '[[:digit:]]'`
POSY=$(( $ScreenSizeh / 7 ))
POSX=$(( $ScreenSizew / 6 ))
The green marked values needs to be modified probably if there is a screen size different to 1280x1024 or a different number of desktops used per row.

Just call the script xfce-switch-vmgroup and submit the desktop you want to change to (desktop numbers from 1 to 10 - not 0 to 9)

Example: xfce-switch-vmgroup 5 to change to desktop (better saying view-port) 5.

The script xfce-switch-wallpaper:

This script definitely needs one manually modification, as it needs to know about the properties of the monitor used for the wallpaper. Since I just own a single monitor setup, this is a single monitor solution.

The script contains a definition of a variable, MYXFCEWPPROPERTY which is used to hold the monitor's properties.

In my case this is: /backdrop/screen0/monitorVGA-0/workspace0/last-image

To get the properties of the your monitor in use, call

Code: Select all

xfconf-query -c xfce4-desktop -m
in a terminal. Then switch the wallpaper once manually by the xfce settings gui and the terminal output will list the your monitor's properties.

Now replace /backdrop/screen0/monitorVGA-0/workspace0/last-image inside the script xfce-switch-wallpaper with the properties (--properties Output-Here) output of the terminal and save the script.

Now you just need to submit the full path and name of the wallpaper to the script and it will change.

Example: xfce-switch-wallpaper Path-and-Name-to-Wallpaper

That's it!

Now I need to examine and find out how to send a program to a specific desktop - since xdotool and wmctrl can't do this as well. Probably I can do this by using xdotool's commands to move a window to a specific position. So if I'm sending it to a geometry of 1280 0 it probably will appear on the 2nd desktop (view-port).
Attachments
the-scripts.tar.gz
(1.21 KiB) Downloaded 151 times
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

LazY Puppy

#83 Post by LazY Puppy »

Additional info:

1.) There's a problem with geany in it's config file.

This entry,

terminal_cmd=xterm -e "/bin/sh %c"
doesn't execute scripts loaded into geany.

It has to be

terminal_cmd=/usr/bin/xterm -e bash -c -e "/bin/sh %c"
This will execute scripts loaded into geany.

2.) There is a amarok-1.4.10-i386-lenny_486.sfs by dejan555 that works nice in Yara OSX - also in the 32bit tahr versions. Original link is here. Though, the server seems to be dead. Probably it can be found at dejan555's new hosting place.

I'm running this Amarok right now to listen to 'The Prelude Implicit", the new album of Kansas. Wonderful...

Edit:

3.)
Now I need to examine and find out how to send a program to a specific desktop - since xdotool and wmctrl can't do this as well. Probably I can do this by using xdotool's commands to move a window to a specific position. So if I'm sending it to a geometry of 1280 0 it probably will appear on the 2nd desktop (view-port).
Seems to work!

Though, it doesn't keep its own x,y position relative to the screen size - even not when adding x,y position to the new x,y geometry. :?
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

fmiguel

#84 Post by fmiguel »

Elementary, dear puppies, the game is afoot in few minutes.

fmiguel

#85 Post by fmiguel »

Yara OSX 1.5

New slingshot.
Added docklets support for Plank.
Solved topmenu crashes and other bugs.
Mozilla Seamonkey with Lightning calendar separate instance.
And more...

LazY Puppy

#86 Post by LazY Puppy »

fmiguel wrote:Yara OSX 1.5

New slingshot.
Added docklets support for Plank.
Solved topmenu crashes and other bugs.
Mozilla Seamonkey with Lightning calendar separate instance.
And more...
Downloaded, added my gtk icon cache work around, turned into T.O.P.L.E.S.S. (no, you can't do this out of the box with T.O.P.L.E.S.S. 1.0.1 (Yara additions had started at version 1.1.3 and my version is now already at 1.2.0)), booted, works! :D

Nice! :D

Thanks! :D

Though, the Geany issue about executing scripts loaded into Geany still exists.
Last edited by LazY Puppy on Tue 18 Oct 2016, 19:25, edited 2 times in total.
RSH

greengeek

#87 Post by greengeek »

starhawk wrote: -- which would make it not technically Puppy but a "Puppy-like distro" (we really need a proper term for that...).
Barry seems to use "Quirky" as an identifier for releases that do not really adhere to the Woof puppy standard. I wonder if he would consider it ok for the rest of us to do the same.

I definitely feel some of these "non-Pups" are so good that they need to be an official part of the kennel even if they don't necessarily meet Barry's original definition of " true" Puppy Linux.

Maybe the Puppy derivatives section needs a subsection called Quirky variants or something to help differentiate what is Woof supported/compatible and what is not.

I realise that Starhawks initial issue was a download fault but I still think it is valid to want a new term or naming convention for adventurous pup derivatives - especially where those adventurous pups start to stray further and further from the Woof kennel.

LazY Puppy

#88 Post by LazY Puppy »

The screenshots here showing cinelerra and openshot video editors running in Yara.

Which version is cinelerra and openshot?

Where to download these versions of cinelerra and openshot?
RSH

fmiguel

#89 Post by fmiguel »

Honestly, I don't remember: googling for pet and sfs packages, or in this forum. Cinelerra is 4.1 for Lucid version, and Openshot I think is a PPM installation.

LazY Puppy

#90 Post by LazY Puppy »

fmiguel wrote:Honestly, I don't remember: googling for pet and sfs packages, or in this forum. Cinelerra is 4.1 for Lucid version, and Openshot I think is a PPM installation.
Thanks.

Found Openshot in quickpet (Openshot version 1.4.3). Created a .sfs Module.

Loading it by sfs_load doesn't work as it needs to update the python modules (pinstall.sh script) after installation. Using sfs_load will load everything below the puppy main sfs, so the new python data is not seen inside the OS. Updating python modules is useless then.

Created a different RunScript which loads the Openshot sfs to a top layer, made a openshot-starter script for it (1st updating the python modules, 2nd executing openshot) and it works also by the use from .sfs Module immediately.

Pretty cool!

Any plans to build a Yara OSX from Xenial Puppy or even too a 64bit version of Yara OSX?
RSH

fmiguel

#91 Post by fmiguel »

LazY Puppy wrote:Any plans to build a Yara OSX from Xenial Puppy or even too a 64bit version of Yara OSX?
Of course, but is soon yet. Xenial is in development and, for instance, in my computer do not work.

LazY Puppy

#92 Post by LazY Puppy »

fmiguel wrote:
LazY Puppy wrote:Any plans to build a Yara OSX from Xenial Puppy or even too a 64bit version of Yara OSX?
Of course, but is soon yet. Xenial is in development and, for instance, in my computer do not work.
Xenial runs pretty well on my machine (though, it doesn't recognize my GPRS USB Modem anymore), 64bit also. Probably I could step in / collaborate to build a Yara OSX based on Xenial and Xenial 64bit?

However, a Yara OSX based on Tahr 64bit 605 would be cool at first.
RSH

fmiguel

#93 Post by fmiguel »

I like :D A x64 version will be a good target, and this forum is to collaborate.If you or any want to make a 64 bits remastering, no problem. Your LazY version will be ideal.

nic007

#94 Post by nic007 »

Nice release, fmiguel. Thank you.

LazY Puppy

#95 Post by LazY Puppy »

fmiguel wrote:I like :D A x64 version will be a good target, and this forum is to collaborate.If you or any want to make a 64 bits remastering, no problem. Your LazY version will be ideal.
I can do remaster 64bit versions since I have a 64bit machine.

Though I can't make 64bit Yara OSX by remaster, as I don't know anything about how to put all that stuff like XFCE, Emerald, Compiz etc.pp. together. Just gave Emerald and LXDE a go some time ago before I discovered Yara OSX, but wasn't successful at all.

Compiz complained it could not run on tahr 6.0.2 (which I used for this test) and LX panel disappeared from the screen immediately after X appears on the screen.

So what I meant by collaborate is to do what ever work is necessary, but under advice and some leadership of someone who is experienced in putting XFCE, Emerald, Compiz, Slingscold etc.pp. together, where someone means: you.

Of course I could add some of the specific LazY Puppy stuff to it, but first it needs a stable version of that 64bit Yara OSX.

I'm really interested in such project starting with a 64bit tahr 6.0.5.
RSH

fmiguel

#96 Post by fmiguel »

You have a private message, LazY.
Last edited by fmiguel on Thu 20 Oct 2016, 10:52, edited 1 time in total.

nic007

#97 Post by nic007 »

I have a dual-booting system on HDD (windows xp on ntfs partition, frugal puppys on ext2 partition). Using this puplet I can only access the windows partition read-only (which should not be). Trying to change the permissions does not work. I do not have this problem using other puppys. Any ideas?

fmiguel

#98 Post by fmiguel »

nic007 wrote:I have a dual-booting system on HDD (windows xp on ntfs partition, frugal puppys on ext2 partition). Using this puplet I can only access the windows partition read-only (which should not be). Trying to change the permissions does not work. I do not have this problem using other puppys. Any ideas?
Try editing /root/.spot-status and removing "thunar=true". Restart x before.

nic007

#99 Post by nic007 »

fmiguel wrote:
nic007 wrote:I have a dual-booting system on HDD (windows xp on ntfs partition, frugal puppys on ext2 partition). Using this puplet I can only access the windows partition read-only (which should not be). Trying to change the permissions does not work. I do not have this problem using other puppys. Any ideas?
Try editing /root/.spot-status and removing "thunar=true". Restart x before.
Thanks but that didn't work. I've also noticed a problem with the timezone setting. On first run the desktop boots to the computer clock but the timezone is incorrect. Changing to the correct timezone messes up the time. Not a big issue but thought I just mention it.

LazY Puppy

#100 Post by LazY Puppy »

I'm setting up computer time / hardware clock at boot up:

HWCLOCKTIME="utc"
hwclock --hctosys --${HWCLOCKTIME}
sleep 1
HWCLOCKTIME="localtime"
hwclock --hctosys --${HWCLOCKTIME}
No problems ever - though, I don't use save files / save directories etc.
RSH