01micko

#81 Post by 01micko »

bigpup wrote:Slacko 6.1.0.1
Frugal on USB flash drive
Save file on USB flash

menu->Help->Release Notes for Slacko Puppy 6.1.0.1

Not really anything there specific to Slacko 6.1.0.1

Also, menu->Help
The drop down selections are not going to info about the selected file or program.
Um, release notes happen on release.

I'll look at the dropdown thingy. Is it working tahr?

EDIT: found and fixed, will be right in all future woof versions
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

bigpup

#82 Post by bigpup »

Not really sure how useful the drop down lists are in the help page.

Example:
select "boot manager" and you get the Wikipedia page for Boots.
The kind you put on your feet :shock:

However, some do go to info about what they are and some go to a page saying no info on that.
I guess it is dependent on what is on Wikipedia and how Wikipedia recognizes what you are asking about.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

zigbert

#83 Post by zigbert »

Really like the freshness of the Buntoo theme. :D

don570

#84 Post by don570 »

Using Slacko 6.0.8.1

I tried to install werewolf64 to a USB stick using the script...
http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/quirky ... o-drive.gz

The terminal message said it installed werewolf correctly however it didn't :cry:

The same script does work correctly if I run it under Precise 5.7.1

Barry has written a new script for werewolf installation in 32 bit OS so I will try it.

rufwoof

#85 Post by rufwoof »

Downloaded ISO extracted vmlinuz etc to a folder, set grub4dos menu.lst and booted to desktop fine.

Initially I really struggled to see things, small font, dark theme, only for knowing what/where I was generally looking made it possible to configure/change.

Having a more easy on the eye theme, I'm finding the font to be rather course. That might be because I've got the global font size set up at something like 130. Running on a CRT (save icon is just because I've set up to optionally save session or not i.e. pmedia=ataflash kernel boot parameter (pupmode 13) and Menu, System, Puppy Event Manager, Save Session set to 0 save interval and ask at shutdown.

Great stuff Micko. Thx.
Attachments
Screenshot.png
(182.54 KiB) Downloaded 872 times

cowboy

slacko 6.1.0.1

#86 Post by cowboy »

Frugal USB install.

Menu | Personal | Didwiki personal wiki : clicking on that, nothing seems to happen.

Also, a few of the menu items open windows at the very top of the display - sending a mouse up there will activate the hidden tray, making it difficult to close any window. Had the issue with Homebank, for instance. Not impossible to get around, but perhaps frustrating for a new user. May be screen or display dependent?

As always, a remarkable quiet puppy - there is a real sense of quality here, which is why I've stuck with Slacko 5.7 for so long. Looking forward to an excellent release.
[i]"you fix what you can fix and you let the rest go.."[/i] - Cormac McCarthy - No Country For Old Men.

rufwoof

#87 Post by rufwoof »

Menu, Destop, Desktop Settings

Select the Themeing icon

Click the MORE button to the right of Program Decoration (gtk)

At the bottom of that gtk theme switcher window click the Font dialog and set to whatever desired (I usually have used that dialog/font option in the past to adjust things to how I like) ... and there seems to be no save (Apply) option, just a OK which seems to exit without applying the change.

/usr/sbin/ptheme_gtk code (the above dialogs), around line 152 through 156 the CANCEL button label is associated with the old APPLY button action. For now I've changed the label in that code from Cancel to Apply i.e. line 153 now reads

<label>'$(gettext 'Apply')'</label>

but that leaves the associated label icon still showing the cancel type icon.

rufwoof

#88 Post by rufwoof »

Is it possible for the wbar or whatever its called at the top/centre of screen to be activated (pop up) when something is dragged up there?

On prior desktops with editor, mplayer etc as icons I could drag/drop a file from a Rox window onto the respective application to open that app with that file already loaded/playing/whatever. With the wbar as-is I guess you have to open the app and then adjust the size to see the Rox window and then drag the file over onto the app i.e. more long-winded.

zigbert

#89 Post by zigbert »

rufwoof
Regarding setting font for gtk-theme:
First define font - then choose theme.
Works here

rufwoof

#90 Post by rufwoof »

Thanks zigbert. Not sure I understand 'first define font' however with some adjustment I can see again :)

I've moved the popup over to the left as that's more out of the way IME but handy if the current window is full screen.

I've added some of the more usual desktop icons that I like to drag/drop onto back to the desktop.

The other change I've made is to drop puppy sfs into initrd.gz Unsquashed (extracted) puppy sfs, re-made it again with no compression i.e.

mksquashfs NewDir puppy_slacko_6.1.0.1.sfs -noD -noI -noF -noX

Extracted initrd.gz i.e in a empty directory beneath initrd.gz

zcat ../initrd.gz | cpio -id

copied the newly created puppy sfs into that directory and reformed a new (large) initrd.gz

find | cpio -o -H newc | gzip >../initrd.gz

Rebooting and things feel snappier.

Basic emacs theme whilst bland always seems to run quicker.

Sound is all up and running great.

And with optional session save or not (my personal preference as if I screw a reconfiguration up totally I can just reboot without saving) by setting pmedia=ataflash boot parameter in menu.lst (grub4dos) combined with PupEventManager option having save interval = 0 and "Ask to save" at shutdown options set.

All happy and really struggling to find anything amiss. :) :) :)
Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
(53.69 KiB) Downloaded 750 times

Skydog007

Compatible with slacko 5.7.0?

#91 Post by Skydog007 »

Can I just make slacko 6 cd and use it with my slacko 5.7 save?

gcmartin

#92 Post by gcmartin »

In the past month, we have seen a few very good demonstrations of utilities that are useful, albeit slightly different approach from tradition, surface relating to Slacko.

Couple which come to mind is @01Micko made a goodly one couple weeks ago on kernel change and @RufWoof make a goodly approach here for a mockup of a distro into a simpler (if I can say that) packaging. Both of these, I think, are useful. Maybe they belong somewhere accessible via the systems as utilities to those who might need these. Maybe DEVX or maybe a "bucket" for boot-time utility services.

Nice work by all showing us these methods to ease our use of the distros.

rufwoof

#93 Post by rufwoof »

Having some problems with sfs unloading. Load a sfs by clicking it and Installing, installs ok. Menu, setup, sfs on the fly dialog and select/unload ... and it remains in the listbox. Update : Thought it might be due to running Pupmode 13 (pmedia=ataflash so as a save icon on desktop) and switched to pupmode 12 - but still the same, sfs_load doesn't unload. Tried another sfs_load from a older slacko version and that indicates sfs can't currently be unloaded, will queue ...etc. (current slacko 6.1 sfs_unload doesn't seem to do or inform of anything, just falls through to exit).

Also, after loading skype sfs (I used this one http://smokey01.com/OscarTalks/skype-4. ... ko14.0.sfs), made a telephone call ok, sent a text message ok etc, the skype sfs I loaded had two options, skyp2 (that I used) and skype, both of which appeared in the internet menu. I decided to remove the skype one that I hadn't used from the menu and using the menu editor hit a error report as attached. The menu however seems to have all updated ok.
Update. Same error (very long) repeated after another change, leaving just the xload and clock in the right part of the tray, no firewall, net, volume etc. I simply deleted files in slackosave folder and a shutdown/restart had them back up again (at a ealier theme), changed theme and saved ok. i.e. can't pin down what happened but looks like a certain combination of theme/desktop/icon changes can lead to a problem.
Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
(63.86 KiB) Downloaded 1443 times
Last edited by rufwoof on Tue 10 Nov 2015, 21:32, edited 1 time in total.

rufwoof

Re: Compatible with slacko 5.7.0?

#94 Post by rufwoof »

Skydog007 wrote:Can I just make slacko 6 cd and use it with my slacko 5.7 save?
Perhaps (bearing in mind I know very little), if you're using a save folder maybe clicking on your old .3fs save file to open it up, selecting everything except perhaps the .wh (whiteout or whatever they're called) folders, and drag/drop the others across to the new slackosave save folder/directory.

???

rufwoof

PXE fun

#95 Post by rufwoof »

Currently uploading a PXE sfs to my googledrive https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing Around 70MB because it contains a puppy derivative and is all ready to run.

Load the sfs and in your root directory they'll be a toggle PXE server on and off script.

If you have a firewall ON they you'll have to right click the tray icon and select the OFF option for the duration of another PC PXE (net) booting.

Most network cards support net booting so its just a question of activating that boot option in BIOS i.e. usually by pressing the DEL or F8 key when the PC is first switched on. Or for later machines ... via some other means.

When your PC is running the above PXE server, they typically another PC (that's has netboot set as being one of the boot options) will be switched on and you press the F12 key (usually) until the netboot menu pops up - or it starts net booting. Thereafter you should see rows of dots appear one by one, for around two to three rows worth for this version, and then the normal pup boot up prompts will start to run .... etc.

To change what pup is booted you need to replace the initrd and vmlinuz files in the /root/tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg folder to ones of your own choosing. For puppy that entails having to insert the puppy sfs into the initrd ... the commands for which I outlined in a earlier posting above. If there's a separate zdrv sfs then its a bit more involved as you have to also add that in as well.

The script code is based on the old firewall arrangement i.e. it would turn the firewall OFF as part of running. I'm don't know the command line to do that in Slacko 6.1 however hence you have to turn the firewall off/on manually.

The initrd and vmlinuz included in the sfs are for a late kernel, taken from tahr6, and a XVesa barebone Wary 5.3 puppy, so should boot on a wide range of kit. i.e. this one http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 518#871518. Once up and running there's a FireFox script in the home directory that downloads the latest firefox and then fires up a web page looking at my googledrive - where there are other sfs's you can download and sfs_load. There's amongst libre etc there's also 'top dog one which is basically adds in all of Puppy Wary 5.5 apps such as abiword, gnumeric etc.

There's a remaster script on the desktop which is different to the more usual one and zips through in seconds. i.e. a PC that has PXE booted from another PC on the LAN can remaster itself in ram and become a PXE server to other PC's. i.e. when first booted click the remaster desktop icon ... remaster .. and then click the PXE desktop icon and that PXE booted PC is then a PXE server itself.

bigpup

#96 Post by bigpup »

rufwoof wrote:
Perhaps (bearing in mind I know very little), if you're using a save folder maybe clicking on your old .3fs save file to open it up, selecting everything except perhaps the .wh (whiteout or whatever they're called) folders, and drag/drop the others across to the new slackosave save folder/directory.

???
I would let 01micko answer this.
He is the only one that should know for sure.
He knows what is different between 5.7 and 6.

How it updates.
This is usually the info he puts in the release notes for a new version.

You could try it with a copy of your Slacko 5.7 save and see what happens.
Just make sure you use a copy of the Slacko 5.7 save.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

01micko

#97 Post by 01micko »

rufwoof wrote:

???
It is theoretically possible to upgrade your save from 5.7, or even earlier. It works best if you've kept it light and trim. We do have mechanisms that detect certain incompatibilities and attempt to rectify them.

That said, I normally don't recommend upgrading however if you do you must back up the savefile before proceeding.. but you did that already, right ? :twisted:

What I do is save all my data (usually in /root/*) then get a list of my packages installed (in /root/.packages/user-installed-packages - a hidden file) and the install fresh and add data and packages back as needed.

HTH

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well since none of you found it I found that crypto save files are failing. It was weird because I first tested on slacko64 and it it worked, but then I realised i was using the slackware util-linux package that has an older losetup utility. My package is newer and supports f2fs and a few other things. However my losetup (we rename it to losetup-FULL) fails to add the password because crypto support has been dropped in util linux. The recommendation is to use cryptosetup and the kernel driver dmcrypt, BUT all my kernels have dmcrypt as a module and not builtin so mounting the savefile will fail!

I now am testing a work around where I download and install only losetup out of the slackware package, over writing my version. It's a bit hacky but should work ok.

More soon.

Ok.. 5 mins later I managed to get my encrypted savefile working 8)

rufwoof

#98 Post by rufwoof »

zigbert wrote:How cool it would be if a virtual keyboard was included...
... A traybutton beside 'show desktop' when user choose a global theme for touchscreen.
I've had that in my Slacko 5.3 (old) version for ages. Start button, XKbd, Magnifier, Calculator

The mini desktop 'window' next is great for when a window is off screen as you can right click and drag windows around in that mini desktop.

Suits my laid back mouse only late evening posture :)

One annoying aspect is google search auto completes when you set the focus to the search field and start typing you have to double-type characters.
Attachments
s.jpg
(53.34 KiB) Downloaded 1318 times

01micko

#99 Post by 01micko »

A delta upgrade from 6.1.0.1 >> 6.1.3.1 is up.

See main post

Just use the previous devx.

ally

#100 Post by ally »

full iso mirrored http://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_Slacko

@mick

new 6.1.3.1 loses support for my 'Intel Corporation Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 (rev 35)' wifi, this is also missing in the 64 bit version, was there with 6101

:)