Lucid Puppy Revitalized as 5.2.8.7 - Nov., 2017 - Final

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
watchdog

Re: Lavori in corso

#781 Post by watchdog »

corvus wrote:@watchdog
Just did a fresh install of Lucid Puppy 5.2.8.7.
Installed dbus-1.2.4.2permissive-1-w5.pet, dbus-glib-0.82-w5.pet and seamonkey2.46-en_US-w5-glibc219tweak.pet, copied in /usr/sbin run-as-spot script from slacko 6.3.2, launched via terminal:

Code: Select all

# run-as-spot seamonkey2.46

(seamonkey:12988): GConf-WARNING **: Client failed to connect to the D-BUS daemon:
Failed to execute dbus-launch to autolaunch D-Bus session
You do not need dbus and dbus-glib from wary: they are not compatible with lucid. Lucid has built-in dbus and dbus-glib.

corvus

#782 Post by corvus »

watchdog wrote: You do not need dbus and dbus-glib from wary: they are not compatible with lucid. Lucid has built-in dbus and dbus-glib.
Even without the result does not change.

Cheers.
[b]We are waves of the same sea, leaves of the same tree, flowers of the same garden.[/b]

sindi

Doug's Network Wizard not working on several computers

#783 Post by sindi »

Frisbee works perfectly. Simple Network Setup sometimes works.

Doug's big wizard won't even load on at least two of my computers. I click on it and nothing happens. How do I provide more detail, from dmesg?

2006 Compaq SR2020 1920 3020 video not usable with Lucid and a mouse - invisible cursor. Works with Tahr. Nvidia. Do I need a different Nvidia driver?
2.6 kernel. I am providing these to a Detroit internet cafe associated with a soup Out house, for browsing. Firefox crashes if I try to adjust settings.
Pale Moon and Seamonkey work. I can't test with Lucid on there.

acpitool with lucid on laptops (2001-2012) wakes up if you type something. On two desktops (both from 2009) you have to hit the power button to wake it.

It is lovely to use a Puppy as well maintained as Lucid. Too many bugs in Tahr - including GMT-5 being 10 hours in the future, which people have
commented on for years now, and ACPI not working. Recently Tahr informed me that portable linux games 'might not work with Precise'. Is Tahr maintained
by a community?

Can Quickpet be improved to show file sizes? Some of the games are enormous.

watchdog

#784 Post by watchdog »

corvus wrote:
watchdog wrote: You do not need dbus and dbus-glib from wary: they are not compatible with lucid. Lucid has built-in dbus and dbus-glib.
Even without the result does not change.
I don't know: run-as-spot works for my seamonkey on my hardware. No errors and no warnings in the console. I think something hardware-dependent. Make sure your /usr/share/dbus-1/services/org.gnome.Gconf.service has the following content:

[D-BUS Service]
Name=org.gnome.GConf
Exec=/usr/lib/libgconf2-4/gconfd-2

corvus

#785 Post by corvus »

watchdog wrote:Make sure your /usr/share/dbus-1/services/org.gnome.Gconf.service has the following content:

[D-BUS Service]
Name=org.gnome.GConf
Exec=/usr/lib/libgconf2-4/gconfd-2
Yes, the content is present.
watchdog wrote:I think something hardware-dependent.
It is likely but we would have the certainty only if other users share their experience about.

Some info:
System: Distro: Super Lucid Linux Linux 3.2.48 [ arch]; Kernel: 3.2.48 i686 (32 bit); Desktop: Openbox 3.5.0.
Machine: Device: desktop; System: FUJITSU SIEMENS; product: Amilo A Series v: 1.0; model: 755CA5 v: 1.0 BIOS: American Megatrends v: 1.02 date: 11/19/03.
CPU: Single core mobile AMD Athlon XP 3000+ (-UP-) speed: 2193 MHz (max).
Graphics: Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] RV250/M9 GL [Mobility FireGL 9000/Radeon 9000]; Display Server: X.org 1.7.6 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: fbdev,vesa).

Thanks for the time and efforts you are spending to the resolution of my problem.
[b]We are waves of the same sea, leaves of the same tree, flowers of the same garden.[/b]

rerwin

ca-certificates problem

#786 Post by rerwin »

I have discovered that the ca-certificates deb package did not go completely into the 20161228 version of lucid pups. The update-ca-certificates command fails due to a missing configuration file (and other files/links). That package deals with certificates used for access to https sites; without it, you may see popups about a certificate problem.

Fortunately, OscarTalks made a pet package of that version of ca-certificates (20160104). Because it is difficult to find that package, I have added it to the list in message 2 of this thread, for application to lucid. The package is here:

http://smokey01.com/OscarTalks/ca-certi ... -01-04.pet

sindi

Lucid 5.2.8 black screen with Intel GMA900 video

#787 Post by sindi »

Acer Travelmate 4000 series with 1024x768 resolution, Intel GMA 900 video chip.

Lucid 5.2.5 boots from CD or HD to the expected screen (and framebuffer works without vga=791 in menu.lst).

Lucid 5.2.8.6 and 5.2.8.7 latest let me Probe and then Test and gave me a black screen with a cursor in upper left.

Precise 5.7.1 boots properly using Intel video driver. I did not test Tahr or Slacko (too little RAM) or Wary.

What happened in 5.2.8 and how do I fix it?

Sound works properly in all of them. iw2200 wifi would work if the switch worked better.

rerwin

#788 Post by rerwin »

sindi,
Thanks for reporting this. The first things to try are to boot with the parameter, i915.modeset=0. If that doesn't work, try i915.modeset=1. If those don't work, choose the vesa driver in xorgwizard.
Richard

sindi

Acer Travelmate 4000 series works with vesa not 'intel'

#789 Post by sindi »

I tried adding in menu.lst after other pfix= parameters both
i915.modeset=0 and i915.modeset=1 with no improvement.

I then tried choosing instead of probing. Puppy unloaded i810 and used
intel instead. No improvement (but I had left it at =1 - should I try 0 or
just omit that parameter instead?)>

vesa works, but all of the icons that I had added were halfway off the page bottom.

I am curious how 5.2.8 managed to break what worked in 5.2.5.
5.2.5 also appears to use framebuffer by default (no need to modprobe fbcon).
Pale Moon 27.1-SSE works in 5.2.5.

I may compare the behaviors of Doug's Network Wizard in the two. It often
does not even load in 5.2.8.7. (I need to fix a sticky wifi switch first).

sindi

acpi problem related to i915 video problem?

#790 Post by sindi »

Lucid 5.2.5 Xorg video works, acpitool -s suspends, hit any key wakes.

Lucid 5.2.8.7 (2016) vesa works, Xorg does not work with i915.modeset=0 or 1, or nomodeset, or noacpi.
acpitool -s suspends (fan off, black screen, lighted power switch) but it will not wake. I tried the power button
(which works on two desktops to reanimate) but it just turned off the laptop.

nomodeset I think gave me a black screen without the white cursor in upper left.

Pale Moon works with Lucid 5.2.5. The intended user insists on suspending to RAM.

I tested with noacpi because that was one of the options, along with nomodeset, to fix certain video problems
(related to Nvidia). nomodeset restricts video to 1024x768, but that is all this laptop will do anyway.

Somehow acpi and video are related. What changed since Lucid 5.2.5 that broke both?

sftp does not work in either version - missing a library. I use the sftp from Puppy 4.1.2.

This laptop video works fine in all linuxes except Lucid 5.2.8.X. acpitool -s does not work in any linux I have
tried with a 3.X kernel. I have not tried Lucid Puppy with a 3.X kernel. I am using the 2.6 kernel in all Lucid Puppies.

I may set this up with Lucid 5.2.5. Its main use is for a 1986 DOS CAD program (the non-widescreen LCD displays it
properly, where most laptops even of the same age do not), plus some internet. I will test Seamonkey as well. Pale Moon
is having problems with the latest Google Voice.

rerwin

#791 Post by rerwin »

sindi,
To see whether the "breakage" occurred between 525 and 528 or between 528 and 528x, how do things work with the 528-005 version of lupu?

So that we can verify which mode works, in one of the successful puppies, please find the mode in use, by entering the command:

cat /sys/modules/i915/parameters/modeset

If i915 in not being used, find which driver is in use by pfinding "modeset" in the /sys/ directory (by changing the directory in the Personal files option).

partsman

#792 Post by partsman »

Sorry haven't been around much ! But just an idea !
@sindi maybe try booting with "acpi_backlight=vendor" no quotes ! :wink:
[color=red]Anyone can build a fast processor. The trick is to build a fast system. (Seymour Cray)[/color] :wink:

sindi

i915 modeset and lucid 5.2.5-5.2.8.7

#793 Post by sindi »

Lucid 5.2.5 /sus/module/i915/parameter/modeset 1 (module not modules) Xorg intel

I am downloading 2.8.5-005 (12 minutes remaining, 55MB of 133MB downloaded - might not be a good pcmcia card but the wifi switch is pretty hopeless).

I have been putting the i915.modeset=1 after pfix. pfix=fsck,vga=791,i915.modeset=1
Do I add ,acpi_backlight=vendor after the vga=791? It was not needed in Lucid 5.2.5. That version appears to use a kernel with fbcon built-in.

While I download, can someone tell me how to use PTP/MTP in Lucid to get photos off an Android 5.1 phone?
Tahr has it working already.

528-005 automatically chose vesa without asking me whether to try Xorg.
X-server: vesa

I exited X and ran xorgwizard
xorgwizard chose for me - 1024x768 with 16 or 24 bit color.

This time I see X-server: intel Modeset 1

The kernel of 528-005, like that of 525, has built-in framebuffer support (fbcon) with no need to modprobe fbcon and to add vga=791 at boot.

sftp is, as in 5.2.5 and 5.2.8.7, missing a library.

I think 5.2.5 let me choose Xorg at boot but it may have done it for me.

I switched to a VT and then could not switch back to Xorg - blinking white cursor in upper left. Similar to what happens when I choose Xorg
in 5.2.8.6 or 5.2.8.7. Ctrl-Alt-Backspace does nothing. I powered off and rebooted to 5.2.5.

In lupu 5.2.5 I can switch between X and any terminal without problems.

It looks like there was a good reason to choose vesa in 528-005 (Xorg messes up) but why does Xorg mess up in 528-005 but not in 525?

I rebooted (not having saved settings) to 528-005, let it choose vesa, and there are no problems switching from X to VT and back.

acpitool -s (suspend to ram) -- works properly in 528-005 (with vesa X). works properly in 5.2.5 (with Xorg).

Confirming the problem in 5.2.8.7 (2016) = screen goes black as expected, hitting a key makes it make some noises but it stays black.
Power button stays lit.

I tried without fbcon and vga=791 (since 525 and 528-005, like tahr, do not have or need those).
acpitool -s suspends but will not reanimate, despite a few flashing lights and some clicking noises.

To summarize: 528-005 lost the ability to run Xorg properly (intel i915), 5286 lost the ability to unsuspend and to choose vesa instead of Xorg.
And none of them have a usable sftp.

They should all work with Pale Moon, if 5.2.8.6 can't be made to suspend. Xorg is not important.

sindi

Dougal's network wizard problem

#794 Post by sindi »

If I click on Network Wizard much of the time it never appears (in this and other computers) but there is lots of red in the lower right next to the time.

This time I typed net-setup.sh in an rxvt instead. 'gtkdialog; Error in line 13k near token '</label>': syntax error aborting... (many of this).
There is also some missing file but it goes by too fast. If I run Network Wizard again with the GUI I see the same error messages scroll by in the rxvt.

I tested my Belkin 11MBps pcmcia card and it downloads at 619Kbps (twice the speed of my cell phone) so I tried several orinoco_cs cards.
They are either not recognized or they are recognized and find networks but do not connect.
I vaguely recall something about uncommenting a line in some file to use 16-bit cards in recent versions of puppy linux.

I then tried a Netgear card prism52 p54C which works with Wary but does not with Lucid 5.2.8.7 - why?

The onboard ipw2200 worked once but the switch is bad or the card receives but does not transmit.

A linksys wireless G B43 works with 5.2.5 (Dougal's Wizard) and 5.2.8.7 (2016) (Frisbee). 12.1 MBps (we pay for 10).

Lucid 5.2.5 Dougal's Network Wizard works (with the B43 card)
Lucid 5.2.8-005 Wizard also works here (as does Pale Moon 27.1 SSE).
Lucid 5.2.8.6 (2015) I did not try it.
Lucid 5.2.8.7 (2016) Doug's Wizard does not load.

So I think after 528-005 Doug's Network wizard is broken (needs line 13 fixed), as are suspend-to-ram and Xorg.
But Frisbee works.

Also Lucid cannot (without modification) handle 16-bit orinoco_cs cards or my p54c Netgear cardbus card (WG511).
I have six orinoco (which do WEP) and three aironet (which do not but have excellent range).

sindi

ALSA Wizard does not play test sound (intel8x0)

#795 Post by sindi »

Sound works but the ALSA wizard does not play the test sound. mplayer and aplay work.

In 528-005 sound was muted (PCM) and worked after I unmuted it.
I think it worked until it muted itself partway through a youtube video (html5, pale moon). It was NOT muted via Youtube.

I have had sound cut out like this before on this laptop, probably with 5.2.8.7 since that was the only version for a while.
Rebooting fixed it. Odd.

sindi

wifi module for acer

#796 Post by sindi »

The ipw2200 mini-PCMCIA (internal) card in my Acer Travelmate 4000 series works in XP after hitting the wifi switch a few times (until it lights).
It was not working in linux. I replaced it with an ipw2100 which did not work in either one. Put back the iwp2200 and it worked in XP. Now
it also works in linux (but does not light up). Frisbee.

The switch may be flaky. I got a diagnostic message about RF not working at one point. Is there a software cure? acerhk.ko is supposed to help
but I have not found the Ubuntu 10 precompiled module.

My notes on orinoco_cs mini-PCMCIA cards indicate that they work in Tahr but not Lucid puppy. How to make orinoco_cs work in Lucid puppy?

rerwin

#797 Post by rerwin »

sindi,
Thanks for all of that information. I will try to address some of the issues, but will need some diagnostic information.
Lucid 5.2.8.7 (2016) Doug's Wizard does not load.
So I think after 528-005 Doug's Network wizard is broken (needs line 13 fixed), as are suspend-to-ram and Xorg.
Line 13 is in the dialog, which starts at line 250 of /usr/sbin/net-setup.sh. I need to see what the syntax error is caused by. Please edit that file to change line 249 from a blank line to:
set -x; exec >&2 #DEBUG
Then run network wizard with whatever device is associated with the problem (the B43 card?). Assuming it fails to run for you, immediately enter in a console:
pdiag

and let it create a pdiag file. Then attach the file to a PM to me. That way, I should be able to see why the dialog failed and maybe something about the b43.

EDIT: Note that I am assuming that no window pops up when you select the Network Wizard. The "set -x..." is only for the main/initial window. If you get past that, please tell me which is the last window you see and what you selected to do next, so I can move the "set -x" to the appropriate window.

Also Lucid cannot (without modification) handle 16-bit orinoco_cs cards or my p54c Netgear cardbus card (WG511).
What modification do you mean? Or do you just mean that they don't work as things are? A pdiag file obtained immediately after trying one or each of them might be useful to find clues. I assume these are like pcmcia cards for laptops.

Does any PCMCIA-type card work in 5.2.8.x? I suspect the PCMCIA interface code might be the culprit. But I need data to hopefully lead me to the cause.

sftp is, as in 5.2.5 and 5.2.8.7, missing a library.
I would like to install the needed "library". Please give us the message(s) that specifies what is missing.

Lucid 5.2.5 /sus/module/i915/parameter/modeset 1 (module not modules) Xorg intel
. . .
I have been putting the i915.modeset=1 after pfix. pfix=fsck,vga=791,i915.modeset=1
Do I add ,acpi_backlight=vendor after the vga=791? It was not needed in Lucid 5.2.5. That version appears to use a kernel with fbcon built-in.
The syntax should be:
pfix=fsck vga=791 acpi_backlight=vendor i915.modeset=1
(The parameters can be in any order.)

pfix is a single parameter that can take multiple comma-separated sub parameters; the others are individual parameters. It appears that modeset 1 should work.
Richard

sindi

i915 modeset and pcmcia in Acer 4000

#798 Post by sindi »

The missing lib for sftp is libbsd.so.0

I am using ipw2200 mini-PCI card which linux sees as PCMCIA (in linuxes which have cardctl anyway)

I have four b43 mini-PCI cards that work in XP or with ndiswrapper only.

pfix=fsck,vga=791 works for some reason but so does [space] vga=791

With i915.modeset=1 I get as far as testing 1024x768x16 and it tells me 'if you can see this X is working' then I click as directed and get a totally
black screen without cursor and have to power off.

I have not tried the suggested fix for acpitool yet, or diagnosed the network wizard - more soon.

acpitool -s run from X: if I push the power button it unsuspends to X, and everything is frozen.
I usually run it from a VT and get a black screen without a cursor by pushing the power button.

power button 5 sec = off

sindi

acer 4000 and pcmcia

#799 Post by sindi »

32-bit pcmcia cards usually work. The Netgear WG511 prism54 did not work in Lucid but does in Wary.
A Belkin card worked (slowly) and a LInksys 802.11G worked perfectly.

The main problem is Orinoco. The mini-PCI orinoco cards work in Tahr not Lucid Puppy. I don't recall if I tried the external PCMCIA cards with Tahr.

sindi

lucid no longer works after attempt to suspend to ram

#800 Post by sindi »

After booting with i915.modeset=1 and typing from urxvt acpitool -s, the screen went black then when I hit the power button X came back but nothing
worked. I powered off and then booted back to Lucid (2016) and again see X and nothing works. I did this twice.

pfix=fsck vga=791 i915.modeset=1 nothing else changed or added

Ctrl-Alt-Backspace. Ctrl-Alt-F2. Alt-F1. three lights. no response. no mouse cursor.

I will help diagnose Network Wizard after Lucid is usable again. What do I edit to undo whatever I did? I can boot without save files.