Dpup Exprimo 5.X.15

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
nooby

#761 Post by nooby »

Testing the 5x5

oh everthing looks different. Hahah took me a long time to find firewall.

As always it refuses to do 1024 x 768 when one have external screen.
Dpup Exprimo 5x5 take more resources than Snow puppy 5 does.

Using Snow puppy 5 the core temperature of CPU goes up to 48 Cslowly and the fan seldom needs to be activated.

in Dpup Exprimo 5x5 it goes straight up to 52 C and stays there and Fan is in constant whining. Annoying high pitched sound. I guess I go back to Snow 5 :)

Haha despite saying it is 1024 x 600 and it refused to let me chose 1024 x 768 it does show the pictures in 1024 x 768 so that is a good thing.

Edit. I am not intelligent enough to use this one.
I wanted to ShutDown or Power off or Reboot. But did not see any such door out or anything reminding me of shutting down

So I tried this new to me do anything or what it was named.
I started with r as in reboot and in the end it says reboot in the terminal and I clicked on that one and it locked and the only way to get back was to do a hard 4 second on the power button and that way no pupsavefile was produced.

what was I suppose to do to do a reboot? There where no sign or icon or anything to click on? Yes I am a true Nooby. Anybody else would ahve known how to shut down or ???
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

rcrsn51

#762 Post by rcrsn51 »

don570 wrote:Why do you include puppy PDF convert when it requires Abiword to be installed??
Look at PeasyPDF instead.

tubeguy

#763 Post by tubeguy »

First run with 5x5 OK, did frugal install. After rebooting to desktop it dropped to command prompt. Ran xwin, got to a desktop again but was locked up, mouse and keyboard not working. So I booted to 2-head puppy and deleted the 5x5 sfs and save file from the drive and tried again with 5x5, this time I could not get far enough to do a frugal install, keeps dropping to command prompt.
[b]Tahr Pup 6 on desktop, Lucid 3HD on lappie[/b]

pemasu

#764 Post by pemasu »

Tubeguy. I suggest you to try booting to the jwm: pfix=nox and then in console xwin jwm.

tubeguy

#765 Post by tubeguy »

pemasu wrote:Tubeguy. I suggest you to try booting to the jwm: pfix=nox and then in console xwin jwm.
Thank you, that worked. Off to work now, more testing later. I want to get IceWM and Aqualung running, then see if I can get my USB sound thingy working. Thanks again!
[b]Tahr Pup 6 on desktop, Lucid 3HD on lappie[/b]

Iguleder

#766 Post by Iguleder »

The fix required for Window Maker is simple, pemasu - remove libjpeg8. It links against libjpeg62 (like everything, libjpeg8 is unneeded) and libjpeg8 is loaded instead of that version.
[url=http://dimakrasner.com/]My homepage[/url]
[url=https://github.com/dimkr]My GitHub profile[/url]

pemasu

#767 Post by pemasu »

Iguleder. Thanks. One question, how about libjpeg 7 which seems to be there also, is symlink enough to 62.

nooby

#768 Post by nooby »

Guys, may I make a friendly request :) Please help me with this:
I wanted to ShutDown or Power off or Reboot. But did not see any such door out or anything reminding me of shutting down

I started with r as in reboot and in the end it says reboot in the terminal and I clicked on that one and it locked and the only way to get back was to do a hard 4 second on the power button and that way no pupsavefile was produced.

what was I suppose to do to do a reboot? There where no sign or icon or anything to click on? Yes I am a true Nooby. Anybody else would ahve known how to shut down or ???
I really do want to use it but seeing no way to shut down or reboot I have no idea how to use it.

DaveS

#769 Post by DaveS »

nooby wrote:Guys, may I make a friendly request :) Please help me with this:

I really do want to use it but seeing no way to shut down or reboot I have no idea how to use it.
Nooby.. are you using E17 or Jwm?
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

nooby

#770 Post by nooby »

I guess it is the E17 but it did not let me chose. 5x5 as I get it came with E17 or did it allow you to chose? how did you chose.

MacPup had E17 and did not Knoppix have it and none of these was difficult to reboot or to shut down.

I trust it is E17 so how does one reboot on that one then?

hahah read here
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... abd2258d0f
Enable Shutdown and Restart:
Puppy has it's own scripts for shutdown and restart, so E17 needs to be configured for these.
Edit /etc/enlightenment/sysactions.conf and replace '/sbin/shutdown -h now' with '/usr/bin/wmpoweroff' and replace '/sbin/shutdown -r now' with /usr/bin/wmreboot
E17 is officially started with 'enlightenment_start' but Puppy must use 'xwin enlightenment' for wmpoweroff(and other stuff) to work. This is because the name used by xwin is used by wmpoweroff to shut down E17's process, which is named 'enlightenment', without the '_start'. So it's up to .xinitrc to start it the right way.
so how do I force it to be jwm instead? oh but then it maybe fail to do 1024 x 768 instead. hm but would be good to know anyway. I boot up and look or I look for reboot using the pfind?

DaveS

#771 Post by DaveS »

Nooby... for E17, LEFT click your mouse on the desktop to bring up the menu. To switch to JWM, choose aplications>desktop>desktop settings>switch window managers.
To find the shutdown dialogue in E17, rest your mouse cursor on the bottom of the screen to bring up the launchbar, then work your way along the icons looking for the tool tip for shutdown/reboot
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

James C

#772 Post by James C »

DaveS wrote: To find the shutdown dialogue in E17, rest your mouse cursor on the bottom of the screen to bring up the launchbar, then work your way along the icons looking for the tool tip for shutdown/reboot
Here's a screenshot.It's the icon under "shut".
Attachments
shutdown.png
(12.06 KiB) Downloaded 851 times

nooby

#773 Post by nooby »

Edit. Thanks now it works in E17 one shall not reboot using the terminal then it fails. But if one go the third icon thing dialog there then that reboot do the right thing. So what does that one write in the terminal???

I have a pupsave now so that is good. Seamonkey. Why not Firefox? oops one should be positive and not negative. Thanks for a working browser even flash works so that is good :) I miss my FF though Hmm

Thanks guys, by accident I did find it the third time but unfortunate it seems that Dpup needs some acpi off or whatever because it does not reboot when I go into terminal and write reboot.

Would it help to use this boot code. reboot=bios

Does one have to write e17reboot or wmreboot or rebootwm or something else? It locks every time and one need to do hard reboot so I still don't have a save file and I do want to go to sleep now :)

it is 10.48 pm now

As I expected when I go to JWM then everything looks normal but it fail to do 1024 x 768 while if I stay i nE17 then it does do 1024 x 768 despite it says it is in 1024 x 600. So I guess I have to stay in E17 then but woe or what to say. So much to learn moving around. So steep learning curve. Why do them do such things? Don't fix a wm that is not broke but is working great :)

One should be positive but the guy that place the door out on third place instead of first or last don't get my approval. Not a friendly thing to do :)

Maybe I am too tired to think straight.

pemasu

#774 Post by pemasu »

Quick post. I believe I am done with Polarpup now. Of course I fixed something else also. So it took one day. I test my latest and I hope it ok to upload. Mainly it is still gtkdialog demanded update.

Nooby. My next UPDATE pet brings back more user friendly shortcuts. I had them and I still have them if you download engage-settings pet. It will give you one desktop module more which have more shortcuts. I removed it and made pet of it due to other usability reasons and it distorts the wallpaper also somewhat. But tomorrow I am whole day in Finnish canoe championship, working there. Because the competition is official Finnish championship and longe range canoeing, it takes at least 8 hours. I probably wont do anything else tomorrow.

EDIT. That module still needs to activated. Just downloading is not enough.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#775 Post by Béèm »

pemasu wrote:But tomorrow I am whole day in Finnish canoe championship, working there. Because the competition is official Finnish championship and longe range canoeing, it takes at least 8 hours. I probably wont do anything else tomorrow.
Take a break and enjoy. You deserve it.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

nooby

#776 Post by nooby »

Yes do enjoy all the fun meeting enthusiastic Canoers and freinds and family. No hurry. We love that you and Igu have all these wild experimentations but it should come from within you when you feel for it so you keep the fun factor feeling for it. No burn out due to outside pressure.

I love my old Snow Puppy 5 :) But I do also love to test new things because I learn new things. But there is no hurry.

Maybe it is told somewhere in the thread. E17 does that change how terminal interpret commands.

When I write the command reboot in any other puppy then it just do that but when I do it in Dpup Exprimo 5x5 then it lock up.

While if I go into the third icon from the left the official shut down icon then it shut down very properly.

so obviously it needs some other command first. Kill all whatever and then it can take a reboot command.

So what am I supposed to write in terminal to mimic what the E17 shutdown or reboot tells it.

Iguleder

#777 Post by Iguleder »

Guys, I forgot to mention: if shutdown or reboot fails, there's a small modification required for wmexit, restartwm, wmreboot and wmpoweroff.

When you run E17, you run "enlightenment_start", while the window manager itself is "enlightenment". These scripts need to kill "enlightenment" and not "enlightenment_start", so add this:

Code: Select all

killall enlightenment
You can add it pretty much anywhere, should fix the issue.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#778 Post by Béèm »

Iguleder,
I once had a message that SeaMonkey was still running and that a reboot couldn't be done.
But even then when closing SeaMonkey and rebooting I had the issue described.
I do then Alt-Crl-Backspace and type reboot on the X prompt.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

Iguleder

#779 Post by Iguleder »

Go to the terminal and run "wmreboot". If you don't see those problems, it must be because you tried to reboot using the E17 shutdown dialog.

On Puppy, E17 should always be built with "--disable-syscon".

don570

disk list for enlightenment shelf

#780 Post by don570 »

I wrote a simple script to list the mounted drives
(and some common folders)
It is best to put it in the bottom shelf.

It allows ROX to launch a window quickly. Try it and
see if it can be improved.

I use GREP to check if sda1, sda5. sdb1. sdb5 etc are mounted

If I knew how windows computers where numbered I could
easily improve the code.

If you have any suggestions or want to change the script
go ahead.

Attachments
drive_list.sh-1.0.pet
list of mounted drives for enlightenment
(1.33 KiB) Downloaded 169 times