Puppy 4.1 official (2.6.25.16 kernel)

Please post any bugs you have found
Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

Re: ALSA setup wizard oddity.

#76 Post by Béèm »

liberomureddu wrote:
BarryK wrote:
Dougal wrote: Try to modprobe snd-mixer-oss, snd-seq-oss and snd-pcm-oss, that should cause udev to create /dev/mixer/.
Hmm, those modules are loaded in /etc/rc.d/rc.services. Did you try rebooting?
Hi, I just had the same issue after running alsaconf. After doing modprobe snd-mixer-oss, snd-seq-oss and snd-pcm-oss (as mentioned above) and restarting now it seems to work again well.

I don't know if it can help, but I found this bug mentioned in some forums:
http://www.nabble.com/Bug-432678:-alsa- ... 38335.html
I had problems with sound as well, the vol slider f.e.
After doing those modprobe's sound worked again, the sgmixer does work again, but the alsamixer doesn't work again.
Well good to know.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

BarryK
Puppy Master

#77 Post by BarryK »

iscraigh wrote:I thought I had posted a bug in here but now it is gone(or I imagined the whole thing...always possible)

Bug

Puppy 4.1 does not properly recognize the internal flash drive on an acer aspire one.
In pmount it shows up as a vfat fs when it is ext2. I am unable to mount using pmount or mut, I can mount using "mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1.

I am also unable to do a frugal ar hardrive install even after getting the drive mounted.
A manual frugal install starts to boot and then freezes, the universal installer just crashes.

Thanks

Craig
Could you please try this in a terminal:

# probepart

Um, perhaps try this also and see if it reports anything unusual:

# disktype /dev/sda1
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

iscraigh

#78 Post by iscraigh »

# probepart
Barry acer aspire one problems, output you requested

/dev/sda1|ext2|29414952
/dev/sda2|swap|2104514
/dev/sr0|iso9660|333460
# disktype /dev/sda1

--- /dev/sda1
Block device, size 14.03 GiB (15060455424 bytes)
Ext2 file system
Volume name "linpus"
UUID F12AA363-17EE-4F3B-B29F-EC5C356D7C39 (DCE, v4)
Volume size 14.03 GiB (15060455424 bytes, 3676869 blocks of 4 KiB)

pmount from command line
strangely this time it saw it as ext2 but still would not mount
pmount
/usr/sbin/pmount: line 293: 8698 Terminated yaf-splash -font "8x16" -outline 0 -margin 4 -bg orange -text "Puppy Drive Mounter

Please wait, probing hardware..."
#

Thanks

Craig

iscraigh

#79 Post by iscraigh »

Further to previous post.

The only difference between last time I tried and now (IE: seeing it as ext2) is that I installed Mandriva 2009 (way to slow). Interestingly I was able to make a pupsave file this time. Upon booting from the pup save file I was able to do an install. If you check the acer aspire thread you will find another user had the same issue with mounting the drive. I have a second Aspire one with the stock software I will confirm the same issue on it.

Craig

iscraigh

#80 Post by iscraigh »

Okay these are the commands from a new untouched Aspire one.

unable to mount drive or install to it. but pmount does see that it is ext2
What changes does mandrive make to it that makes it usable.....
I thought about using gparted to wipe the partition and recreate to see if that works, but instead I will leave this one untouched as a control for any solutions or tests you may want me to run.

# probepart
/dev/sda1|ext2|13655186
/dev/sda2|swap|2104514
/dev/sr0|iso9660|333460
# disktype /dev/sda1

--- /dev/sda1
Block device, size 6.511 GiB (6991455744 bytes)
Ext2 file system
Volume name "linpus"
UUID 1A50B566-6292-4129-9F22-2B283F867776 (DCE, v4)
Volume size 6.511 GiB (6991454208 bytes, 1706898 blocks of 4 KiB)

# pmount
/usr/sbin/pmount: line 288: 7015 Terminated yaf-splash -font "8x16" -outline 0 -margin 4 -bg orange -text "Puppy Drive Mounter

Please wait, probing hardware..."
#

Thanks

Craig

liberomureddu

pfind Browse not working

#81 Post by liberomureddu »

Hi,
Pfind 4.4 Browse function doesn't work correctly here: it creates an empty search results folder in /tmp/ without any link inside.
Ciao
Libero

myman_05

#82 Post by myman_05 »

Didiwiki not worked for me. Cannot save any document.

capoverde

Re: ALSA setup wizard oddity + NTFS partition unmount bug.

#83 Post by capoverde »

Sorry, no e-mail notice showed up so I'm replying with some delay.

Tried re-running the ALSA setup wiz: /dev/mixer, which disappears at the very start before soundcard search, does reappear after running both "modprobe snd-mixer-oss" and "modprobe snd-seq-oss", order indifferent; modprobing snd-pcm-oss seems unnecessary; SGmixer then starts again.

Another little hitch: trying to unmount a mounted NTFS drive from the icon menu ("unmount sda* if currently mounted") yields a message saying it can't be unmounted, with the suggestion that it's an incorrectly inserted removable drive; however, Pmount can unmount it normally.
Last edited by capoverde on Wed 22 Oct 2008, 11:40, edited 1 time in total.

dogone

Re: ALSA setup wizard oddity

#84 Post by dogone »

capoverde wrote:...Tried re-running the ALSA setup wiz: /dev/mixer, which disappears at the very start before soundcard search, does reappear after running both "modprobe snd-mixer-oss" and "modprobe snd-seq-oss", order indifferent; modprobing snd-pcm-oss seems unnecessary; SGmixer then starts again...
At some point days after 4.1 installation on my Dell 8200 laptop, the volume control applet disappeared from the tray. Sound remained functional and Alsamixer still worked. Sgmixer however, would not run, complaining it could not access /dev/mixer.

I discovered capoverde's post and found too that the two modprobes do re-enable sgmixer. Several reboots later and all is well.

Something is clobbering something somewhere..

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

Failing to install a 4.10 when initiated from a 4.00

#85 Post by Béèm »

A poster wants to full install 4.10 on another partition then his actual 4.00 full install, without burning a CD.
4.00 is on hda2 and hda1 is prepared to receive 4.10
The PI is started and the 4.10 iso is mounted.
At the question where the files are, he selects the directory where the 4.10 files are and selects the pup_410.sfs

He gets immediately a msg: oh dear sanity check pup_400.sfs isn't found. Well sure, he wants to install 4.10.

I wanted to try myself and have indeed that problem as well, hence I make the post from him as well.

Is this a flaw in the PI script or is the way of installing not permitted?

I had a full install 4.07 and could with the PI upgrade without problems to 4.10.
The thread about the problem is this
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

friednoodle

Didwiki

#86 Post by friednoodle »

Didiwiki in 4.1 fails to save pages, tried 4.1 retro and it does not
save either. 3.01 works fine. Tested this with three machines (and
a good nights sleep!)

Michalis

homebank is crashing

#87 Post by Michalis »

I've noticed that Homebank is crashing whenever I press the categories button. When started from the terminal it reports "Segmentation fault" when crashing.

I believe that it must happen also in 4.1.1 rc because I haven't noticed anybody reporting it or Barry metion it in his blog.

Barry is it possible to fix it before 4.1.1 final? After all it's fix bugs release.

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: homebank is crashing

#88 Post by BarryK »

Michalis wrote:I've noticed that Homebank is crashing whenever I press the categories button. When started from the terminal it reports "Segmentation fault" when crashing.

I believe that it must happen also in 4.1.1 rc because I haven't noticed anybody reporting it or Barry metion it in his blog.

Barry is it possible to fix it before 4.1.1 final? After all it's fix bugs release.
Puppy 4.1 has HomeBank 3.8, which is the latest. They do have 4.0beta but state that it is not yet stable. So, there's nothing I can do for now.

You could perhaps report it at their site, and you could try their 4.0beta version.

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: Didwiki

#89 Post by BarryK »

friednoodle wrote:Didiwiki in 4.1 fails to save pages, tried 4.1 retro and it does not
save either. 3.01 works fine. Tested this with three machines (and
a good nights sleep!)
Fixed, see my blog:
http://puppylinux.com/blog/?viewDetailed=00449

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: ALSA setup wizard oddity

#90 Post by BarryK »

dogone wrote:
capoverde wrote:...Tried re-running the ALSA setup wiz: /dev/mixer, which disappears at the very start before soundcard search, does reappear after running both "modprobe snd-mixer-oss" and "modprobe snd-seq-oss", order indifferent; modprobing snd-pcm-oss seems unnecessary; SGmixer then starts again...
At some point days after 4.1 installation on my Dell 8200 laptop, the volume control applet disappeared from the tray. Sound remained functional and Alsamixer still worked. Sgmixer however, would not run, complaining it could not access /dev/mixer.

I discovered capoverde's post and found too that the two modprobes do re-enable sgmixer. Several reboots later and all is well.

Something is clobbering something somewhere..
Fixed, see my blog:
http://puppylinux.com/blog/?viewDetailed=00453

joe-mama

ndiswrapper wizard fail

#91 Post by joe-mama »

Was trying to setup my belkin F5D7010v8 PCMCIA wireless card, have a copy of the XP .inf & .sys files inside ~/XP/

[walkthrough]
1 click connect on desktop
2 click the wireless lan option on IC-wizzard
3 load module
4 unload ath_pci
5 use Ndiswrapper
6 wizard freezes with error `PREV_LOCATION`: No such file or directory.
7 click OK, and Puppy Network Wizard: Ndiswrapper fails to respond.

end up having to kill it.

any ideas how to fix this, or get mdiswrapper to work right?

Dougal

Re: ndiswrapper wizard fail

#92 Post by Dougal »

joe-mama wrote:6 wizard freezes with error `PREV_LOCATION`: No such file or directory.
This was reported a week or two ago and the latest version fixes it.
What's the ugliest part of your body?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes
But I think it's your mind

Michalis

#93 Post by Michalis »

BarryK wrote:Puppy 4.1 has HomeBank 3.8, which is the latest. They do have 4.0beta but state that it is not yet stable. So, there's nothing I can do for now.

You could perhaps report it at their site, and you could try their 4.0beta version.
Unfortunately can't find a HomeBank v4.0beta pet to try it, but since it's not puppy's bug I will report it at their site.

Thanks anyhow and puppy 4.1 is great :D

Edit (Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:17 pm): I find out that it's hapening only if I don't first save a file and then reload the saved file. So there is a very minor bug. I've reported it to their bug list anyway.

PaulBx1

#94 Post by PaulBx1 »

Couple of minor items.

Occasionally, when I boot on my Dell Inspiron 1525, the screen shows short black line segments (about 1 cm long) evenly spread across the screen. Rebooting fixes it. I didn't see this booting into ram, only when booting off CD with a pupsave on the hard drive.

Sometimes when I boot with a flash drive already plugged in, the drive icon is not shown on the screen. I vaguely recall that unplugging and replugging fixes it, and that pmount does see it (not sure about the latter). Just an annoyance...

Mostly I am enjoying this new revision. I have finally moved off 2.16!

PaulBx1

#95 Post by PaulBx1 »

I have a Targus USB optical mouse. When I look in the mouse setup, it says I have a serial mouse (even though there is no serial port on this computer). If I set it to "USB" it accepts it, but on reboot it is back to serial mouse.

I have also noticed my X-windows copy and paste, which works entirely within an RXVT window, does not work when I want to copy from a geany window to an RXVT window. The weird thing it, I'm pretty sure this worked earlier.

I will try booting into ram to see if this works better.

<later>
It did detect that I have a USB mouse, when booting into ram. However the X copy/paste still did not work. I recall earlier the touchpad never did work with this, but my USB mouse did.

Perhaps this has already been addressed; I haven't read through all the posts. Actually I have, but I've forgotten all by now. :oops: