Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 - Updated ISO Version 005 - APR 05 2012

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
playdayz

#701 Post by playdayz »

@Playdayz=Since Nov 30 and at your suggestion We install 3HD on our USB sticks and after heavy testing (70 reboots) sound and Icon are persistent. We test on all the combinations that we are able to do,sound is there.
Super, elcurita, Thank you much. I am glad it is working. You are the second person to report this positive result.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As of now. I am recommending that anyone who uses a usb flash drive for install or saving should use Three-Headed Dog. 3HD has all the usability features of Lucid 5.2.8 plus the newer kernel from Slacko and updated multimedia components. Why be miserable?

3HD -> http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=70736

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What I really need to know is whether the original Lucid 5.2.8 without any updates has the same problem with sound in usb installs. I wouldn't be surpised if it did, but if it doesn't we could just revert to it.

Original Lupu-528 -> http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/lupu-528.iso
Last edited by playdayz on Sat 03 Dec 2011, 01:19, edited 6 times in total.

bigpup

#702 Post by bigpup »

playdayz wrote:
Bigpup, having "three" sound cards has never caused me a problem with Lucid or any other Puppy. One sound card is built-in, the second is a PCI add-in, and the third is a component of all ATI video cards for the last 5 years or so. It is that ATI component that is the "duplicate" sound card that rerwin is seeing. As I say, my sound has always worked on both "real" cards and I am able to switch between the sound cards using Pmusic or Audacious. This has been the same in all versions of Lucid so i don't think the multiple sound cards is what is causing the problem with sound and usb.
Just like to understand why yours will work and my motherboard user manual says this:
Gigabyte GA-Z68P-DS3
If you wish to install 3rd party add-in audio card instead of using the on board audio, set on board audio to disabled in bios.
Last edited by bigpup on Fri 02 Dec 2011, 23:04, edited 1 time in total.

playdayz

#703 Post by playdayz »

Just like to understand why yours will work and my motherboard user manual says this:
Gigabyte GA-Z68P-DS3
Interesting Bigpup. Different motherboards? I have seen them insist that you disable onboard video in order to use a video card. Have you tried ignoring that and installing the audio card anyway? One of my motherboards is a Gigabyte. In my case the onboard audio will be picked up by Puppy as the default, but Pmusic and Audacious will be able to change and play through the pci audio card. Also, in Instant Update 002, alsawizard can be used to select the second audio card as default successfully. BTW, Windows 7 is able to use both audio cards also, and it will also set the onboard card as default initially, but is also able to change the default..
Last edited by playdayz on Fri 02 Dec 2011, 23:46, edited 2 times in total.

rerwin

#704 Post by rerwin »

Sylvander wrote:(B)
What's the best thing to do with these?
1. Use only the better quality sound card, and disable the on-board sound in the BIOS Setup?
The manual shows "Chip Configuration->Onboard PCI Audio" [default=enabled, can be disabled]
I'd prefer to use the sound card methinks.
OR...
2. Remove the sound card, and use the on-board sound?
The manual shows "CD1" on mobo->[3 pins=left-audio,grnd,right-audio] for CD-drive audio->.
OR...
3. Have BOTH on-board AND the sound card enabled, and use both?
Is that possible?
OR...
4. Have the Puppy choose which or BOTH to use, and software-disable whatever is un-needed?
Considering that you prefer the added sound card, number 1 is the way to go. But remember that yours is a special case -- both cards look alike to puppy. If the driver modules were different, it would be possible (and normal) to be able to select which to use as the "default" (0) device. Since the selection is by driver name, that is insufficient to select among cards using the same driver, as in your case.

I am addressing only such cases, considering that either of the same-IDed devices could be card 0, and could change from bootup to bootup. I am requesting those with the problem to list the device-module and device number assignments both when a failure occurs and in a normal run where sound does work.

To reduce the amount of output you see, simply enter two commands to list the card information and driver module assignments to those numbers:

Code: Select all

cat /proc/asound/cards
cat /proc/asound/modules
Here is what my PC has:
  • # cat /proc/asound/cards
    0 [I82801DBICH4 ]: ICH4 - Intel 82801DB-ICH4
    Intel 82801DB-ICH4 with AD1981B at irq 9
    # cat /proc/asound/modules
    0 snd_intel8x0
From your diag taken when sound had failed, here is the "cards" file:
  • 0 [CMI8738 ]: CMI8738 - C-Media CMI8738
    C-Media CMI8738 (model 37) at 0xd000, irq 9
    1 [CMI8738_1 ]: CMI8738-MC6 - C-Media CMI8738
    C-Media CMI8738 (model 55) at 0xa400, irq 10
and what I expect is in your "modules"file:
  • 0 snd_cmipci
    1 snd_cmipci
What I hope to see in such listings from a run with sound working, is that the cards' device-number assignments will be reversed. If that doesn't happen, then we can eliminate that as the main cause of sound failing, although I still think it is a hazard.

Note that the issue here is not that there are multiple sound cards, only that they use the same driver module and therefore cannot be controlled in the normal way, by selecting the driver to use as the default (0) device.
Richard
Last edited by rerwin on Sat 03 Dec 2011, 15:44, edited 1 time in total.

playdayz

#705 Post by playdayz »

nevermind
Last edited by playdayz on Fri 02 Dec 2011, 23:42, edited 1 time in total.

bigpup

#706 Post by bigpup »

Firefox 7 auto updated to version 8.
Firefox now locks up.
Found fix here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 370#581370
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=73843
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

playdayz

#707 Post by playdayz »

Firefox 7 auto updated to version 8.
Firefox now locks up.
It is hard to imagine why Firefox does not use its own libnss by preference.

Firefox 8.0 with the libnss fix built-in -> ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pet ... -Lucid.pet

Flashplayer must also be the latest. This version seems to play video on youtube fine with the newest flashplayer. The old programs do not download flashplayer correctly because Adobe has started moving it around. I recommend this one -> ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pet ... ll-0.1.pet In the menu as Internet -> Install Flashplayer.

James C

#708 Post by James C »

I just finished a new build of 529 with k-3.10 which gave me an excuse to try your Firefox 8.0 pet .........working fine.Didn't try the flash installer......too easy to do it manually. :lol:

Sylvander

#709 Post by Sylvander »

@rerwin
Further to this post by you:

A. As per my STEP-31...I restored my PupsaveHotBackup=5 [using Wary-522], and rebooted using my Lupu-528.003-ataflash CD-RW.
This took me to the desktop with the loudspeaker icon displayed [sound functioning I expect/assume, but didn't test].

B. As per your instructions...

sh-4.1# cat /proc/asound/cards 
 0 [CMI8738        ]: CMI8738 - C-Media CMI8738
 1 [CMI8738_1      ]: CMI8738-MC6 - C-Media CMI8738
sh-4.1#
And...

sh-4.1# cat/proc/asound/modules
sh: cat/proc/asound/modules: No such file or directory
sh-4.1#
C. I will now repeatedly reboot until the loudspeaker icon is no longer displayed, then repeat the above.

D. OK, back after a single reboot, and the loudspeaker icon is gone.

sh-4.1# cat /proc/asound/cards
 0 [CMI8738        ]: CMI8738 - C-Media CMI8738
 1 [CMI8738_1      ]: CMI8738-MC6 - C-Media CMI8738
sh-4.1#
And...

sh-4.1# cat/proc/asound/modules
sh: cat/proc/asound/modules: No such file or directory
sh-4.1#
E. Not the result for which you hoped?

rerwin

#710 Post by rerwin »

Sylvander,
Thanks for getting the info. I had a typo in the second command -- left out the space after "cat". The main result, though, is that the card-number assignments are the same as they were when retrovol crashed. So much for my card-swap theory.

Since nothing else appears to be solving the issue, I would like someone to try yet another patch. It is the same as "patch-2" but has some old logic removed from the module loader (...backend_modprobe), to parallel what Barry did in wary/woof. Since 4.3.1, puppy has controlled the assignment of card numbers. Barry has since removed that logic, to allow ALSA to have complete control of the assignments.

Patch-3 no longer manages the numbering, but does one thing wary doesn't: if no default (0) card has been specified, it remembers the current assignment and sets it in alsa.conf so that the same card will be the "default" on the next bootup. It does this only after ALSA has already made the choice. Even if this does not fix the problem, it eliminates any possible conflict in card-number assignment between backend_modprobe and the ALSA function and avoids interference with other attempts to manage what ALSA does with the assignments.

The patch (as in -2) has the version of snapmergepuppy that retains /dev except for /dev/snd. It is identical to playdayz' "snapmergefix" version. For the patches, I am reluctant, at this point, to go beyond what Barry has implemented in wary/woof, but am open to experimenting with the ideas that have been expressed about changes to the handling of /dev in snapmergepuppy.

Since I am fuzzy on what should be done, I rely on those of you with the ideas of what we should try. My sense is that you folks want all of /dev to be omitted from being saved, except for some links. What about the targets of those links? If possible, we should know precisely which /dev entries should be omitted, instead of what to retain. Anyway, if some of you want to experiment, just state what to try, and I will make an "experiment" package with only the mods, to be installed on top of patch-3.
Richard

One more thought about the /dev issue: remember that even if you start with a new puppy environment, if you don't install the snapmergepup changes before the first snap, the /dev/snd directory content will already be on the flash drive. I am not sure how you would remove it from the drive (pup_ro1). Something to check. R
Attachments
lupu528-IU002_rerwin_patch-3.pet
Add to either Instant Update 002 or 003. Lets ALSA control card number assignments.
(61.89 KiB) Downloaded 238 times
Last edited by rerwin on Sat 03 Dec 2011, 23:17, edited 3 times in total.

playdayz

#711 Post by playdayz »

I just finished a new build of 529 with k-3.10 which gave me an excuse to try your Firefox 8.0 pet .........working fine.Didn't try the flash installer......too easy to do it manually
James C, Well, that new install-flash pet by 01micko has a lot of manual in it ;-)

When you say 529 do you mean the first edition of Three-Headed Dog? There is a second edition posted that has some updates and improvements, named luci-001--it also has an update

bigpup

#712 Post by bigpup »

Playdayz,

From the tone of the first post in this topic, you seem to be feeling left by the wayside, with Lucid Puppy 528.
Let me say with no hesitation, this is far from the truth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You keep making it better and better. :D
I consider it the Long Term Support Version of Puppy.
The others are trying to be like it.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

ferro10n

#713 Post by ferro10n »

A new test with no main SFS copied to the flash drive suggests that ext3 save-file has also something to do with loss of sound (by the way, what does it mean that the ext3 save-file is 'journaled'?). Puppy was running fine till I had to restart X because of a frozen application, and then back to X there was no sound. I had previously installed one or two PETs and extra SFS. Now I'm testing Three-Headed Dog with an ext2 save-file, and I'm afraid to install anything else than what I use the most and overnight have a mute system again -- actually I shouldn't, the last time I did an ext2-save-file+mainSFS@CD install it had run flawless for a week. I'd use the 4.x series but less testers means less chances of solving the mystery, and I can't use my phone's Internet with 4.x and older anyway.
A beginner Puppy Linux user
Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.13GHz 512MB
LiveCD user

zekebaby

#714 Post by zekebaby »

rerwin wrote:One more thought about the /dev issue: remember that even if you start with a new puppy environment, if you don't install the snapmergepup changes before the first snap, the /dev/snd directory content will already be on the flash drive.
To be safe, you would need to install playdayz's snapmergepuppy.pet on your first boot before a savefile is created.

James C

#715 Post by James C »

playdayz wrote: When you say 529 do you mean the first edition of Three-Headed Dog? There is a second edition posted that has some updates and improvements, named luci-001--it also has an update
Still using the original first edition of Three-Headed-Dog at the moment.Since these are just for my personal experimentation and I've got things set up to change the kernel pretty quickly I just haven't gotten around to using the updated version. Yet. :)
I've had the new version downloaded just been feeling lazy.... :lol:

shinobar

ffmpeg-8.5

#716 Post by shinobar »

Installed Instant_Update_Multimedia-Lucid528-002.pet on lucu-528.
Tried to convert .wmv to mpeg2 using ffconvert, but got the ffmpeg segfault.

Installed ffmpeg-0.8.5-dpup.pet which i compiled on Dpup Exprimo.
Installed x264-20110930-w5c.pet which Barry compiled for Wary.
Then got success to convert .wmv to mpeg2.
http://shino.pos.to/party/bridge.cgi?puppy/opt/pup5/
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

Sylvander

#717 Post by Sylvander »

@rerwin

SUCCESS! :D 8)
[Fingers crossed and hope it continues.]

A. STEPS:
31. Restored PupsaveHotBackup=5, and rebooted using CD-RW Lupu-528.003-ataflash.
32. Installed lupu528-IU002_rerwin_patch-3.pet, and rebooted 8 times so far, and the loudspeaker icon is still there, and so is retrovol, and Alsamixer, and Gnome Alsamixer.

B. Tested sound somewhat using:
1. 10 video files in various formats showing "wheeliessorensonvideo" of drag-racers.
(a) Video and sound good for 9 of the 10 in formats:
mov,mp4,rm,wmv,mpg,mp4.
(b) Playing failed in only the 10th file in format = swf.

2. Replaced the Puppy Phone version 0.12, by installing psip-0.26
Normally this works just fine in Lupu-526, but here in Lupu-528.003...
When I logged into the conference room, there was REALLY BAD multiple ECHO.
(a) So I used retrovol to untick "PCM Capture", and that significantly reduced the echo to a single repeat, which was bad enough.
Then I suddenly couldn't hear anyone speaking.

James C

#718 Post by James C »

On my last test install http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 162#586162 I forgot to mention that "check drivers" in Quickpet misidentified the Trident video and recommended a Nvidia driver.No problem for me but thought I'd better mention it.

Sylvander

#719 Post by Sylvander »

A. Bad news! :(

All was well [10 reboots] until I made a change to the file = /etc/rc.d/rc.shutdown as per the instructions in THIS POST.

This change causes the user to be offered at shutdown, the option "to save or not to save" any changes made during the session.
I've used this successfully, many times in the past.

This time, when I made this change to Lupu-528.003-ataflash...
after reboot...
The loaudspeaker icon was GONE!

B. I'll restore PupsaveHotBackup=5, and NOT make the above change until many more reboots have passed...
And meanwhile see what comes up in the way of a fix.

ferro10n

#720 Post by ferro10n »

Yet more bad news, I'm in 3HD now and sound is gone :cry:
At least this time I have a clue--I was loading an SFS when the system crashed, I had to force a reboot, back to 3HD I have no speaker icon, no Retrovol, no sound. I opened Bacon Recorder and tried to access Retrovol from there--nothing happens.
The system crashed because I wanted to load OpenShot, a very high program. Now I think the way I had to reboot (by pressing red button on CPU) may have caused the loss of sound this time. This means that as long as there isn't a power failure or a forced reboot, the system will remain intact. And of course, I have to load or install programs properly next time :oops:
A beginner Puppy Linux user
Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.13GHz 512MB
LiveCD user