Lucid Puppy 5.0.1 - 24 May 2010

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#701 Post by Béèm »

01micko wrote:Béèm

Their is something amiss with the drive icon sizes, but I rarely see it on my machine, only occasionally. It is beyond the scope of Lupu if it is in Quirky too.

The sfs bug where icon alignment is wrong is still a general puppy bug too. I hope Barry can find the time and inclination to fix them. In the meantime I will look at the 'fix' I'm using to see if it can apply to sfs installation/uninstallation.

Cheers
In quirky 1.00, booted with pfix=ram, I have the 0GB size issue as soon as the desktop is there.

So indeed, it's not a lupu issue, altho I suppose lupu as well as quirky have kinda the same woof base for building.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

Jim1911

#702 Post by Jim1911 »

Fresh frugal installation of lupu-116. Installed a good sample of the pets and sfs using Quickpet, all are working great. Installed gnome-games with the ppm. Also installed Barry's latest nvidia driver which is working fine. To polish the installation, I'm using zigbert's DuDE which is also working great.

One instance of one drive icon being misaligned on reboot after selecting sfs with bootmanager. It has not repeated.

Still that minor problem with CUPS-PDF not printing graphics to a pdf file.

Overall, it's fast and stable with my hardware, I'm very pleased with this fine distribution, kudos to you all. :D

Keef

#703 Post by Keef »

Boots into desktop with correct resolution on an Advent 7081 laptop (SiS 661GX graphics). No touchpad madness this time, which is a relief.
Can't get on internet with this one as ndiswrapper not working (needed for Netgear USB dongle), and I can't my cheapo TP-Link stick....
On my desktop with a Nvidia FX5200, the resolution was wrong and needed changing.
The 'country setup' dialog box does not scroll down properly when using arrow keys, but other setup screens are ok.

Magruder

#704 Post by Magruder »

So far the handful of Lucid Pup 116 items I've tested are working, but I'm having an issue with the new nvidia driver that Barry uploaded today.

Started with a fresh frugal install.

The new simplified network wizard works, and settings are retained after reboot. Same for the classic network wizard.

I downloaded the new nvidia .pet, (see http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=01564) and installed from a terminal. The result was:

FATAL: Error inserting nvidia (/lib/modules/2.6.33.1/misc/nvidia.ko): No such device
EXIT="OK"
Generating /root/.icewm/menu...
Generating /root/.jwmrc...

(By the way, how can I copy text from a terminal window into my browser? I retyped these messages, but there must be a better way.)

Didn't sound good, but I exited X and ran xorgwizard to see what would happen. When I chose the Select button, nvidia was not among the choices. I chose Probe, then selected my usual resolution of 1024x768, and typed xwin. The machine hung (hanged? It was dead.) Rebooted, and now X will not start.

Looks like I need to delete my lupusave file, there may be another way to get around this, but that seems like the quick easy way to start over.

playdayz

#705 Post by playdayz »

altho I suppose lupu as well as quirky have kinda the same woof base for building

It is an interesting question Beem. The code for much of the programs is entirely different. Quirky uses T2 and Lupu uses Ubuntu. The architecture is very similar of course--it is the basic Puppy architecture--by which I mean the way the programs are arranged and configured. Most of the scripts such as xorgwizard are the same in both Lupu and Quirky.

playdayz

#706 Post by playdayz »

Magruder,
By the way, how can I copy text from a terminal window into my browser? I retyped these messages, but there must be a better way.)
Click and drag to highlight in the terminal, and then move the mouse to the browser and click the middle mouse button.

We are putting the Nvidia driver into Quickpet, but that means we may have to support it ;-) What I have gathered so far is that it is extremely important to follow the instructions exactly. I don't know them well enough yet to know if you did that. You need to run xorgwizard first to create a complete xorg.conf--the auto config does not need to do that so it doesn't. The complete instructions are on Barry's blog.

One question. Was the driver that was automatically chosen or chosen by xorgwizard not working in some way? The Nvidia driver should provide hardware acceleration as I understand it--but most of what Lupu does does not require those super fast graphics. I am glad we are able to offer it as an option though for sure and there may be some people for whom it works better than the other options.

8-bit

#707 Post by 8-bit »

This is a section of my xorg.conf file after an install of the nvidia factory package of NVIDIA-Linux-x86-195.36.24.pkg1.run.

Driver "nvidia" #card0driver
Identifier "Card0"
Driver "nvidia"
VendorName "nVidia Corporation"
BoardName "C61 [GeForce 6150SE nForce 430]"

You will notice that the driver is correctly identified as "nvidia" and not "vesa".
It also has no problem with glxgears.
vesa does.

Nvidia PET Barry kindly created works great IF one follows the instructions and runs xorgwizard first.
I tried it on Puppy using pfix=ram for boot and it worked there.

broomdodger

gnumeric preferences

#708 Post by broomdodger »

lupu-116 frugal
gnumeric preferences:
tools and tools>sorting
Do not stick across re-open

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#709 Post by Lobster »

Thanks guys in 116 (puppy pfix=ram)

:shock: I am too stupid to play 'clanbomber' - how small is that game?
Working OK apart from the idiot behind the keyboard (me) :oops:

Quickpet does not have any icons in the different 'desktop icon switcher' sets
apart from the default - are they available?

OK gonna try Icewm . . .
yep that worked - incidentally xwin icewm (you do not need xwin icewm-session) will work to run icewm from the prompt

I did not seem to be able to uninstall it with the package manager
- should Quickpet have a link to the Puppy package manager?

Tried to install Kino with the Puppy package manager (Puppy 5)
No . . . did not work . . .

Keep going guys - nearly there . . . :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

pa_mcclamrock

#710 Post by pa_mcclamrock »

playdayz wrote:Please when you are testing boot a fresh CD of 116 or boot pfix=ram.
Did that. Everything is OK now, so far as I can tell, for new users or those who aren't upgrading. No more problems with booting to desktop, exiting to xorgwizard, time display, or drive icons on my system.
Please do not upgrade. Thanks.
Didn't not do that. :roll: There are still some problems with upgrading, which I really hope will all be fixed before the final release.

I did get IceWM with my selected theme, not JWM, when I upgraded this time. I didn't get my selected GTK+ theme back. /usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser and defaulttexteditor are still coming from the main file; the modified versions from lupusave still are not being used; this still should not be happening.

Most importantly, I'm still not getting my custom arrangement of non-drive desktop icons back. This should (I think) be a simple matter of using the versions of /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin and globicons from lupusave rather than from the main file. Yes? Fix? Please? Now?
It's stupid to use inferior software for ideological reasons.
--Linus Torvalds

aarf

#711 Post by aarf »

md5sum 94c9fe1f50d09ccc67bf12e0d4a8cb58
lupu-115.iso___lupu-116.iso.delta
Size: 2.13 MB

rover

boots to blank screen

#712 Post by rover »

booted pfix=ram
end result was a blank screen, tried esc, ctr alt backspace to get to prompt, nothing works to get to a useable prompt.

this is a relatively new computer.
a hp laptop, dv6-2150us
it has a ntfs hd, 64 bit.
does the same thing with quirky 1.0

fat dog64 does work as does the wifi driver wl when it boots.

i believe it contains the intel graphics media accelerator HD

i have been unable to get the wifi working in some other puppies, and have setteled on fat dog to use when running linux. otherwise have to use win7 to get back to an os to use in the forum etc.

i am writing this in hopes that i can help you guys in troubleshooting this hardware, if you are interested. i also realize you are pulling your hair out just getting this thing going this far. thanks all for the hard work.

if there is anything i can do to help, let me know.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#713 Post by Lobster »

booted pfix=ram
:)
puppy pfix=ram right? Just checking :)
end result was a blank screen, tried esc, ctr alt backspace to get to prompt, nothing works to get to a useable prompt.
How far did you get?
Did early versions of Lucid work?
Does Ubuntu Lucid Lynx boot on your computer?
- do Ubuntu have any info?
Can you confirm your exact graphics card?

Might be late in the day for some laptop testing
but maybe for 5.1 . . .

Maybe someone else has some ideas?
4.3.1 works OK on your setup?
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Magruder

#714 Post by Magruder »

playdayz wrote:You need to run xorgwizard first to create a complete xorg.conf--the auto config does not need to do that so it doesn't. The complete instructions are on Barry's blog.

One question. Was the driver that was automatically chosen or chosen by xorgwizard not working in some way? The Nvidia driver should provide hardware acceleration as I understand it--but most of what Lupu does does not require those super fast graphics. I am glad we are able to offer it as an option though for sure and there may be some people for whom it works better than the other options.
I'll keep working with the latest nvidia .pet to see if I can get things going. Since my last post, I was able to install and use the April 30 nvidia .pet. I tried again on the newer nvidia .pet and got the same result as before.

As for why I'm using the new drivers: When Puppy 4 came out I began having frequent browser crashes. (I've been using Puppy since version 1.x.) From the forums I gathered that it was caused by the video drivers. I rolled back to Puppy 3, where this problem didn't occur, and have been on Puppy 3 until I started working with Lucid Pup a few weeks ago.

I've had browser crashes with some versions of Lucid Pup also. The new nvidia drivers have fixed them, so I make a point of trying the new ones as they're available.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#715 Post by Béèm »

playdayz wrote:
altho I suppose lupu as well as quirky have kinda the same woof base for building

It is an interesting question Beem. The code for much of the programs is entirely different. Quirky uses T2 and Lupu uses Ubuntu. The architecture is very similar of course--it is the basic Puppy architecture--by which I mean the way the programs are arranged and configured. Most of the scripts such as xorgwizard are the same in both Lupu and Quirky.
Thanks for the clarification.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

rover

boots to blank screen

#716 Post by rover »

hi lobster,

this computer shows a intel graphics media accelerator HD , not an nvidia.

in my haste and inexperience, i left out that i booted with puppy pfix=ram but i usually do in an attempt to just not save something i am trying out new and saving my hd from a lot of save files.

i just tried the following in addition to quirky 1.0 that also comes up with a blank screen:
all boots with puppy pfix=ram

4.3.1 boots ok, will set 4 virtual consoles, no wf drivers to get on internet with.

lighthouse pup 4.4.3 boots, will not allow vc's, no wf wifi drivers.

lupu 116 (tried again) will not boot. does not get to point that asks for keyboard. flashes print across screen fast and then stops with a blank screen that can only be exited by power button shutoff.

dpup 484 beta 4 boots, sets vc's to 4 ok, no wifi drivers.

Sylvander

#717 Post by Sylvander »

Having asked how it might be done, and getting no replies...
Just now upgraded from lupu114 to lupu-116, and it all went rather well. :D 8)
Here's what I did:

1. Booted BoxPup full install on sda3.

2. Plugged in a 4GB Flash Drive that has 3-off 1.24GB ext3 partitions on it, and mounted sdb1 to accept the files for lupu-116.

3. Using Xfe...
Copied the lupu-116.sfs file from the mounted optical disk to the sdb1 partition.
[Found it's a good idea to do this before making a pupsave file, because you will then be offered the choice of using EXACTLY ALL of the remaining space on the partition.]

4. Copied the lupu-114 lupusave.3fs file...
[from a partition on a different Flash Drive used by lupu-114, to a backup folder on an external USB HDD, then copied again...]
...To sdb1.
There was more than enough space to take it [100's of MB spare]

5. Rebooted with the lupu-116 optical disk [CD-RW] in the drive...

6. lupu-116 detected this as an upgrade...
Did the necessary changes...
Then once into lupu-116, I used "Resize personal storage file" to increase this smaller lupusave file to be a better fit to use all the available space on the 1.24GB partition. [The lupu-114 partition was smaller = 1GB]

rjbrewer

Re: boots to blank screen

#718 Post by rjbrewer »

rover wrote:booted pfix=ram

this is a relatively new computer.
a hp laptop, dv6-2150us
it has a ntfs hd, 64 bit.
does the same thing with quirky 1.0

fat dog64 does work as does the wifi driver wl when it boots.

i believe it contains the intel graphics media accelerator HD

i have been unable to get the wifi working in some other puppies, and have setteled on fat dog to use when running linux. otherwise have to use win7 to get back to an os to use in the forum etc.

i am writing this in hopes that i can help you guys in troubleshooting this hardware, if you are interested. i also realize you are pulling your hair out just getting this thing going this far. thanks all for the hard work.

if there is anything i can do to help, let me know.
My 6 yr. old 700m has 855gme Intel graphics and gets the
black screen freeze-up before reaching x-setup.

I don't have this problem with the Quirky-Wary 020 version.

Lucid Ubuntu and Kubuntu are reported to have graphic support
for your dv6-2150us .

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

mnail

For those with freezes or the like

#719 Post by mnail »

This ended up being a bad cd-rom on my 610 laptop, as for why the second download was 127.3 meg I have no answer - 116 is running fine, after reboot using SNS re-connected without any issue.

Here is a pic to where I had download the iso twice - the 128.3meg iso was just after 1pm - it booted ran fine I selected full install, all appeared well - When I rebooted I got error 115:file not found (I can access grub menu and all but not complete booting - again this was a full install - "initial boot pfix=ram", I had wiped the partition before install.

Since it did not boot I figured maybe I had began download to early and missed something, the next down load completed machine will NOT get to the initial puppy boot screen (grub splash) Edit: Teh second download was 127.3 megs, not the original 128.3 megs thus my thought on browser cache corruption for some, myself atleast

Screen shot of the iso properties attached.

115 iso ran smoothly on this laptop (dell c640)

Note of interest: Some things to keep in mind - on the desktop I'm downloading to and burning from - It is a full ubuntu lucid load - after the latest update, it froze up and had some printing and USB issues (my burning is NOT USB, but with other issues happening after a recent update, it only makes sense to point this out.

I'm downloading 116 iso again (different desktop, burning and trying again, I feel confident it has to do with this desktop and the latest update(s) kernel 2.6.32-22-generic.

So far all has been good with the lucid puppy - the original kernel (think lucid pup 114) xorg didn't have a complete ATI drive - but was impressed to see it applied in 115 (ran smooth as silk) Noted though - this unfinished xorg issue was one that came from ubuntu themselves as was noted on launchpad bug list.

Will let ya know...
Attachments
Lucid 116.png
(23.41 KiB) Downloaded 351 times
Last edited by mnail on Sat 08 May 2010, 20:54, edited 1 time in total.

Jim1911

#720 Post by Jim1911 »

Magruder wrote:So far the handful of Lucid Pup 116 items I've tested are working, but I'm having an issue with the new nvidia driver that Barry uploaded today.
Started with a fresh frugal install.
The new simplified network wizard works, and settings are retained after reboot. Same for the classic network wizard.
I downloaded the new nvidia .pet, (see http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=01564) and installed from a terminal. The result was:
FATAL: Error inserting nvidia (/lib/modules/2.6.33.1/misc/nvidia.ko): No such device
EXIT="OK"
Generating /root/.icewm/menu...
Generating /root/.jwmrc...

(By the way, how can I copy text from a terminal window into my browser? I retyped these messages, but there must be a better way.)
Didn't sound good, but I exited X and ran xorgwizard to see what would happen. When I chose the Select button, nvidia was not among the choices. I chose Probe, then selected my usual resolution of 1024x768, and typed xwin. The machine hung (hanged? It was dead.) Rebooted, and now X will not start.
Looks like I need to delete my lupusave file, there may be another way to get around this, but that seems like the quick easy way to start over.
Consider posting your experience on Barry's blog http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=01564

To copy text from a console, highlight the text, place your cursor where you want it copied and middle click. If you don't have a three button mouse, there is also a combination that you can use, don't remember it.