Lucid Puppy 5.0.1 - 24 May 2010

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Billtoo

Re: Lucid Puppy 115 - Beta Alpha

#681 Post by Billtoo »

[/quote]Please post the nvidia.desktop file in /usr/share/applications that you have for the Nvidia settings applications to show up in the menu. When running this pet, the nvidia driver is installed but the Nvidia settings application is nowhere to be found.
Thanks,
Jim[/quote]

Type=Application
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=NVIDIA X Settings Wizard
Comment=Configure NVIDIA X Server Settings
Exec=nvidia-settings
Icon=nvidia-settings.png
Categories=X-SetupWizard

if I open nvidia-settings.desktop (in usr/share/applications) as text I get this.

If I just click on it the settings wizard starts.

Jim1911

#682 Post by Jim1911 »

Billtoo,
Thanks for responding, I had discovered the nvidia-settings file and was in the process of editing my post to reflect my experience with it. I don't know why it won't work with my hardware.
Jim

Billtoo

#683 Post by Billtoo »

[quote="8-bit"]Billtoo,
Did you run xorgwizard before installing the Nvidia Pet?
That step is needed and I had the same thing happen when even installing the factory Nvidia pkg because I had not ran xorgwizard to make a correct /etc/X11/xorg.conf file.

Not until after I'd read your message :)

started fresh
ran xorgwizard, report-video says nv is the driver.
installed pet, report-video says nvidia is the driver.
ran nvidia x settings wizard in the setup menu and set up to use two monitors.

# report-video
VIDEO REPORT: Lucid Puppy, version 115

Chip description:
oem: NVIDIA
product: G84 Board - p402h00 Chip Rev

Driver used by Xorg:
vesa

Video mode used by Xorg:
Resolution: metamodes Depth: "TwinViewXineramaInfoOrder"

...the above also recorded in /tmp/report-video
#

broomdodger

BusyBox 1.16.0

#684 Post by broomdodger »

quirky100 is using BusyBox 1.16.0
Is it too late to switch?

playdayz

#685 Post by playdayz »

Is it too late to switch?
I am sorry but yes, it is too late to switch. Barry is able to make changes right up to release, but we are not Barry ;-) I thought it best by far to employ a more traditional approach with a feature freeze (after 113) and fixing only bug fixes from 114 on. I think it was 113 but maybe 114 when we got the last of what I regarded as "killer bugs," that is, bugs that could potentially result in data loss (I think that was Abiword and Gnumeric). People have gotten tired I am sure of hearing me say it, but I think it was the best way to deliver a product with as few surprises as possible. People might really groan when I say that i am thinking we should only fix bugs in 5.0.1 also. Ah, but 5.1, I hope we are around for it, and it will be great imo to be able to enhance at our leisure.

BTW, I am using 116 now and I feel very good about it. 01micko's work on the drive icons seems to be solid. Everything looks good on the screen. We had a little excitement last night about the Puppy Package Manger but that seems to be sorted out--better to check it closely than to hope for the best ;-) We have some innovations but are true to the Puppy way I think. All that said, we are going to try to get the Nvidia pet Barry made in, most probably in Quickpet--that is where we can make a change with the least possibility of upsetting things.

I will start uploading now--so it should be available in an hour or so. Thanks everyone.

Oh my! I have been using the Simple Network Setup and I just tested the Network Wizard and it was not persistent after a reboot--even if I clicked Save before I clicked Use This ... It would be very good to fix this--or take it out. Are there cases where people would need the Network Wizard over the SNS? I will ask Barry to look at it also.

And the Network wizard (Classic) does not even find my usb wireless. Rats. That's why we test I guess. Has everyone been using the SNS?

James C

#686 Post by James C »

playdayz wrote: Oh my! I have been using the Simple Network Setup and I just tested the Network Wizard and it was not persistent after a reboot--even if I clicked Save before I clicked Use This ... It would be very good to fix this--or take it out. Are there cases where people would need the Network Wizard over the SNS? I will ask Barry to look at it also.

And the Network wizard (Classic) does not even find my usb wireless. Rats. That's why we test I guess. Has everyone been using the SNS?
I always use the classic wizard and have had no problems with my wired DSL connection.Connection has always been persistent. :)

Also, my choice of the classic wizard is persistent if I click the "connect" icon.

playdayz

#687 Post by playdayz »

I always use the classic wizard and have had no problems with my wired DSL connection.Connection has always been persistent. :)

Also, my choice of the classic wizard is persistent if I click the "connect" icon.[/quote]

Thanks. what I meant was not persistent for me was the connection itself, using the New Wizard. But here comes 116 so let us test it heavily. It is certainly possible that I had done something wrong.

broomdodger

#688 Post by broomdodger »

playdayz wrote:
broomdodger wrote:Is it too late to switch?
I am sorry but yes, it is too late to switch. Barry is able to make changes right up to release, but we are not Barry ;-)
Thank you, I understand.

The reason I asked: BusyBox 1.16.0 now has a very usable (tiny) vi editor. e3 and mp do not work well, e3vi is unusable.

I have been testing all the puppys on several machines.
One is a Sharp 300MHz/64MB, I cannot get more RAM,
so I look for very minimal solutions, such as vi and links.

The links pet works great on the Sharp with lupu115.

playdayz

#689 Post by playdayz »

lupu Distro lists, not as many distro sources can be shown in the PPG window.
Am I making any sense?
Yes, I had noticed also that only 4 were displayed when it should have been 5.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

Lucid 116 network setup

#690 Post by Béèm »

The network wizard is working and the connection is persistent after a reboot

The Simple Network Setup isn't working. First time this happens to me.
Can't connect to access point.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

Lucid 116 desktop drive icons misalignment.

#691 Post by Béèm »

I configured and created a save file. Selected sfs files with the bootmanager and rebooted.
The desktop icons were misaligned.
Used the desktop icons manager to realign.
Time savers:

Béèm

Lucid 116 desktop drive icons size 0GB

#692 Post by Béèm »

I configured my Belgian keyboard on the first run and I had to configure xorg as well.
When the desktop came back, all my desktop drive icons indicated 0GB.
Time savers:

James C

#693 Post by James C »

Fresh frugal install of 116 on the old test computer.Used Xorgwizard to achieve the desired 1024x768 resolution............when the desktop appeared the drive icons were correct, no reboot ...just ran xorgwizard.
Used SNS to set up my connection, rebooting to see if connection stays.

James C

#694 Post by James C »

Just rebooted...... the drive icons remain correct and the internet connection was persistent.

mavrothal

Geode driver

#695 Post by mavrothal »

Looks like the Geode video driver slipped back to 2.11.7 in Lupu 116 (the default for xorg-server 2:1.7.6-2ubuntu2)
You had 2.11.8 in Lupu 113 with the ubuntu2 sever and was working fine.
Pls put it back in Lupu 117+ because 2.11.7 is useless (no GTK+/desktop icons)
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

Jim1911

#696 Post by Jim1911 »

My problem with Barry's new Nvidia pet was due to using an older version. Barry had uploaded a newer version which works fine as long as you follow his instructions.
BarryK wrote:Nvidia PET for Lupu
I have created a Nvidia PET package for Lucid Puppy. Works for me. Get it from here:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... 6.33.2.pet
Lupu developers (with Nvidia hardware), for testing recommend download it then run in a terminal:
# petget `pwd`/nvidia-195.36.15-k2.6.33.2.pet
...so you can see if any errors during installation.
A window will pop up with some instructions, need to exit X and run 'xorgwizard'. After restarting X, the NVIDIA Settings application is available in the Setup menu.
I suggest maybe an offer to install this PET can be made in the initial first-boot window. Maybe it could be offered conditional on Nvidia hardware being detected:
# lspci | grep -i 'nvidia'
Lupu will start X using the 'nv' or 'vesa' drivers. You probably don't want to build the nvidia driver into the .iso as the PET is 23MB, but the offer to download and install it would be very good.
For next Lupu beta, I recommend use the latest Woof (May 5). It has improved Xorg Wizard, amongst other things.
Tested good on lupu-116.

playdayz

#697 Post by playdayz »

Please when you are testing boot a fresh CD of 116 or boot pfix=ram. Please do not upgrade. Thanks.
When the desktop came back, all my desktop drive icons indicated 0GB.
Boy, Beem, I just cannot make this happen no matter what I try. It is a fresh 116 isn't it? I cannot make the drive icons misbehave either in 116. I'll keep trying.
Looks like the Geode video driver slipped back to 2.11.7 in Lupu 116 (the default for xorg-server 2:1.7.6-2ubuntu2)
I can do this mavrothal; please check 117 as soon as it is available if you can. Thanks. It's done. You are sure that it was 113, just double-checking? Thanks.

Béèm

#698 Post by Béèm »

playdayz, yes forgot to say. I always start with pfix-ram.
For the moment I don't do save upgrades.

Something weir in my machine?

But be assured, I have this (0GB size) in quirky as well and even on the desktop MD8818.
Time savers:

01micko

#699 Post by 01micko »

Béèm

Their is something amiss with the drive icon sizes, but I rarely see it on my machine, only occasionally. It is beyond the scope of Lupu if it is in Quirky too.

The sfs bug where icon alignment is wrong is still a general puppy bug too. I hope Barry can find the time and inclination to fix them. In the meantime I will look at the 'fix' I'm using to see if it can apply to sfs installation/uninstallation.

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

mavrothal

#700 Post by mavrothal »

playdayz wrote:
I can do this mavrothal; please check 117 as soon as it is available if you can. Thanks. It's done. You are sure that it was 113, just double-checking? Thanks.
Yep. I just replaced the one from 113 in 116 and works fine!
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==