Create Debian 9 (Stretch) minimal ISO similar to DebianDog

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
belham2

#601 Post by belham2 »

fredx181 wrote:Thanks belham,
Yes, better give it up now, just can't find the device, I guess. One thing I'd like to know if it's not working for you because of porteus-boot (I suspect that, but want to be sure), so can you test live-boot for your Stretch-Build32-FVWM with this menu.lst entry?:

Code: Select all

title Stretch-DDog-Build32-Fvwm (sda1)
  root (hd0,0)
  kernel /Stretch-Build32-FVWM/stretch/live/vmlinuz1 boot=live live-media-path=/Stretch-Build32-FVWM/stretch/live/ union=aufs net.ifnames=0
  initrd /Stretch-Build32-FVWM/stretch/live/initrd.img
It's without persistence, but doesn't matter now, just for testing (in theory, if DebianLive works for you, this should work also)

Fred
Hi Fred,

Just got the chance to sit down with this again. I tried what you wrote, and got back this:

(is there a space between "/" and "union"??...wasn't sure, thought there was supposed to be, anyhow tried both ways, with and without a space)

Anyhow, both times failed. First time without a space, booting ended here:

sda:sda1
sd 4:0:0:0: [sda] Attached SCSI Removable Disk
Ext4-fs (sda1): mounted filesystem with ordered date made. Opts: (null)
random: crng init done
Busybox v1.22.1 (Debian1:1.22-0-19+b3) built-in shell (ash)
(initramfs) Unable to find a medium containing a live file system
There it froze....

Then I tried with a space, booting ended here:

(==) Using system config directory "/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d"
waiting for X server to shut down. (II) Server terminated successfully (0).  Closing log file.play deviceinit: connection to X server

root@live:~#
This was/is progress, right? It never got this far before. At "root@live" I entered "startx", crossed my fingers and the screen went black and the laptop seemed to try to get to the desktop, but then next second it dropped straight back to "root@live:~#". There was a lot of messages before this, all saying the same thing:

xauth: file /root/.Xauthority does not exist.

Thanks so much for helping with this, but it has, I believe, already taken too much of our time. I'll just use the sdcard in a usb port (with a SDCard-to-USB Converter) when I want to use my ddogs. Still, Fred, I know you're like me----this is driving me nuts in some part of my mind since the dam# DebianLive Minimal installs frugally boot no problems. It' be a totally different story if they didn't. Ok, come on, Belham, let it go now. Peace, tranquility, it's time to let it go.

fredx181

#602 Post by fredx181 »

Hi belham, thanks again !!
For what I wanted to know from you to test, it's obvious that when you use live-boot the device (your SD card) is being recognized (in contrary from when using porteus-boot) (but unfortunately something else went wrong for you at login in the end, don't know what)

For info, in fact DebianDog (or any variant) is DebianLive (live-boot), only difference for Stretch Dog is that "aufs" is supported (standard nowadays for DebianLive is "overlayfs")
The porteus-boot option is in fact additional.
is there a space between "/" and "union"??.
Yes.

Again, thanks for testing, I know now that the SD card is not recognized with porteus-boot , but it is with live-boot and don't want to stress you any further, but if you have time you may want to try your DebianDog32 from SD card with live-boot:

title Debian-Dog32 - live-boot
  root (hd0,0)
  kernel /DebianDog32/live/vmlinuz1 boot=live live-media-path=/DebianDog32/live/
  initrd /DebianDog32/live/initrd.img 
EDIT: Why porteus-boot works for me on SD card?: It's VOODOO :lol:
No, seriously, don't know, I guess it can depend on several factors that make it work or not, e.g. BIOS

Fred

belham2

#603 Post by belham2 »

fredx181 wrote: but if you have time you may want to try your DebianDog32 from SD card with live-boot:

title Debian-Dog32 - live-boot
  root (hd0,0)
  kernel /DebianDog32/live/vmlinuz1 boot=live live-media-path=/DebianDog32/live/
  initrd /DebianDog32/live/initrd.img 
Fred

Well, FLIP ME OVER & FRY ME UP LIKE A BIGMAC!!! :shock:

It worked!

You're a magician, Fred. New name: Fred The Magician 8) I'd have never thought to do a plain live-boot. I can assume I can do this now with any of my ddogs I want to run off a SDCard in this laptop's goddarn voodoo SDCARD-slot?
Attachments
Debian-Dog32-live-booted-from-SDCard-in-laptop-SDCard-slot.jpg
(127.47 KiB) Downloaded 616 times

fredx181

#604 Post by fredx181 »

Hahaha, nice , but not magic, just plain basics !
I can assume I can do this now with any of my ddogs I want to run off a SDCard in this laptop's goddarn voodoo SDCARD-slot?
Yes you can, don't know what happened with your FVWM install, if it is build with FVWM-crystal DE choice from mklive-stretch or.. ??
Could be if you have slim installed that you have to type: slim (at the point of login, instead of startx)

Fred

Pelo

Just a feedback, from a passenger.

#605 Post by Pelo »

DDOG Stretch kernel 4.9.0.3,pae is it the right place for writing that booting with ISOBOOTER is easy. ?
Let you going on installing, dear Dogs. Just a feedback, from a passenger.
Not Live CD, Live USB, beside three Puppies
Add new user ? unfortunately i am the only one at home, with two computers.
Attachments
ISOBOOTER.png
ISObooter multiboot
(43.32 KiB) Downloaded 477 times
Last edited by Pelo on Sun 24 Sep 2017, 14:03, edited 1 time in total.

Pelo

reboot, always fresh.. Really nice !

#606 Post by Pelo »

reboot, always fresh.. Really nice, how i like it, fast, nothing to do excepted typing setxkb,qp fr in terminal..
The perfect OS for people, nowadays, whenPuppy OS should be only for learning puppils, in Linux forum...
Upside Down !

fredx181

#607 Post by fredx181 »

Just a feedback, from a passenger
Pelo, maybe it's me, but I have absolutely no idea of what you are trying to say :?:
How does it go in your mind, something like this maybe ?:

Mmm... where shall I post today, let me see.. OK, in this thread I haven't posted much yet !
But what shall I write, mmm.. ah, I know something, off-topic maybe, or maybe nobody will understand, but I don't mind, the most important is that I have increased my number of total posts today and people know that I, Pelo, exist.

backi

#608 Post by backi »

Pelo, maybe it's me, but I have absolutely no idea of what you are trying to say
Think you`re not the only one Fred ( at least two people now ).
Nevertheless ,one thing Pelos Post was good for ...... you gave me a good laugh Fred :lol: :lol: :lol:

mikeslr

We all need a slightly quirky French Uncle

#609 Post by mikeslr »

Hi All,

I think Pelo's two posts should be read as one, the gist of which is how easy it is to multi-boot Puppies using ISOboot and, on point, Debian-9-Stretch minimal. No need to unpack the ISOs. See the screenshot. I wouldn't have thought of that. So, in its own right, the post conveys useful information.

That Pelo, who always makes it clear that he possesses no significant expertise, finds Debian-9-Stretch minimal useful, also serves the purpose of encouraging other 'passengers' to try it.

I don't always understand everything he posts. But that also serves a useful purpose. Perhaps the most useful. It forces me out of the mind-set of complacently reading posts. :)

If this Forum was just a place for communicating technical information, it's unlikely he or I would ever have had much to say. I think the Forum serves another purpose. It is a place were people with different backgrounds, different interests, meet to discuss their individual experience using Puppies and Dogs. I think it a good thing that in such meetings they feel sufficiently comfortable to discard the mask of formality and project some of their individual personality.

I like the fact that the Forum is not just a place for "Business Only", but rather one where people from all over the globe can get together and chat, and sometimes find amusements in our petty differences.

mikesLr

belham2

#610 Post by belham2 »

For our National Murga Treasure Pelo, this says it all:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=111619

He is right up there with the best of all time anywhere since the Net was born. Think about it.....MikeSLR is on to something way deeper than we can ever truly understand and realize about Pelo.

He's a genius, and we may never come to understand how, why and/or what that is :)

backi

#611 Post by backi »

Hi mikeslr !

Thanks for translating Pelos Post .You gave me some sense for the finer nuances .
I can see clearer now .
Sometimes it takes more effort to go under the surface to get some deeper understanding .

So.... Pelo .......keep on rocking :D :D :D

Doglover

#612 Post by Doglover »

All I can figure is Pelo thinks this is a game.

Pelo

what you mean and what they understand

#613 Post by Pelo »

if you had ideas to translate french, and french reading you, perhaps there will be a gap between what you mean and what they understand.. Rignt now, it's me who is doing the most difficult. If something has to be precised, ask for it.
Merci Miskeslr, there is humanity in your attitude. Your knowledge is huge. And yet you remain humble (here there is a message behind my words)

First post ; isobooter installation (install is the verb to learn)
Second post : results at reboot;
A Isobooter works nice even with Dogs
B Pelo enjoys these Dogs.
C XenialDog remains the Dog useful for him

There is nothing hidden behind what is written, Something perhaps in your mind, But not mine !

Robert123

#614 Post by Robert123 »

fredx181 wrote:
Just a feedback, from a passenger
Pelo, maybe it's me, but I have absolutely no idea of what you are trying to say :?:
How does it go in your mind, something like this maybe ?:

Mmm... where shall I post today, let me see.. OK, in this thread I haven't posted much yet !
But what shall I write, mmm.. ah, I know something, off-topic maybe, or maybe nobody will understand, but I don't mind, the most important is that I have increased my number of total posts today and people know that I, Pelo, exist.
Heh heh too true sometimes with Pelo then sometimes he says something profound.
Devuan Linux, Stardust 013 (4.31) updated [url]https://archive.org/details/Stardustpup013glibc2.10[/url]
s57(2018)barebone[url]https://sourceforge.net/projects/puppy-linux-minimal-builds/files/s57%282018%29barebones.iso/download[/url]

fredx181

Re: what you mean and what they understand

#615 Post by fredx181 »

Pelo wrote:if you had ideas to translate french, and french reading you, perhaps there will be a gap between what you mean and what they understand.. Rignt now, it's me who is doing the most difficult. If something has to be precised, ask for it.
OK Pelo, I see the difficulty. I know, the result of web translate can be weird sometimes, and most of the time needs extra, extra translation.
Writing a few more words or sentences, to explain what you mean exactly, may help though...
And of course screenshots, what you do often. (Btw, you edited your post about ISObooter with a screenshot added after my reply :wink:)
Also helpful in this case, a link to the ISObooter thread:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=67235

Fred

Pelo

well so there is no trouble.

#616 Post by Pelo »

well so there is no trouble.. To try ISobooter a Dog had to be included. I choose one, but my purpose was to boot it, install it, as you say..
I have nothing to hide, my Goal is to Keep Puppy Linux the most popular, the most downloaded, and the most easy to use. That needs updating reviews everywhere.
And i really think that devs want the contrary, not to be disturbed by users. and do Puppy buiding as others do body buiding,
Keep on the matter : Puppy should wonder about Dogs, really good work, passengers has nothing to do, no need to give help to the crew.
Only one page to test if ISObooter does it. One page among 42 is not many.. compared to Porteus and others
About Stretch Josejp2424 has realesead a Puppy Pupjibaro Stretch 64 bits, outside the vacuum US communauty. Spanish spoken is better, but US passengers are accepted. We shall help the best than we can. Try it. To give some ideas or simply to use it, daily.
Last edited by Pelo on Wed 27 Sep 2017, 22:13, edited 1 time in total.

fredx181

#617 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Pelo. No trouble, OK, but again I only understand half of what you write, sorry.

What are "devs" ? Is there some "United nations" of devs, to who are you talking? And why on earth "devs" don't want to disturbed by users ?!
Many posts with helpful replies there are from "devs" to "users" in many threads.
I taste criticism in what you write but you don't propose anything about how things can be better in your opinion.
This thread is about building a Dog system yourself. Are you not interested ? perfectly OK, still friends !
Get to the point Pelo ! Don't speak in general terms please.
Only one page to test if ISObooter does it. One page among 42 is not many.. compared to Porteus and others
Je ne comprend pas
Keep on the matter : Puppy should wonder about Dogs, really good work, passengers has nothing to do, no need to give help to the crew.
Je ne comprend pas, excusez moi :wink:

EDIT: The last sentence, for example, if you load it in e.g. google translate and translate to french, does it make any sense for you ?

Fred

dancytron

#618 Post by dancytron »

Somewhat along those lines, maybe it is time to do a Debian Stretch ISO for general distribution. I'd recommend using the "Full Debian Dog Open Box XFCE-JWM" version, but that is just personal taste.

I think the mklive-stretch script has been adequately debugged at this point and it would make DD more accessible to the "passengers" (to use Pelo's term) and get more people using it in different configurations and squashing bugs.

rcrsn51

#619 Post by rcrsn51 »

This is FileFinder ported from Puppy.

Remove the fake .gz extension.
Attachments
screenie.png
(20.96 KiB) Downloaded 658 times
filefinder_2.4.deb.gz
(7.41 KiB) Downloaded 154 times

fredx181

#620 Post by fredx181 »

dancytron wrote:Somewhat along those lines, maybe it is time to do a Debian Stretch ISO for general distribution. I'd recommend using the "Full Debian Dog Open Box XFCE-JWM" version, but that is just personal taste.

I think the mklive-stretch script has been adequately debugged at this point and it would make DD more accessible to the "passengers" (to use Pelo's term) and get more people using it in different configurations and squashing bugs.

For some time I've been thinking that it wouldn't make sense to open new thread with new ISO release, since it's so easy now to build your own.

But yes, I'll think about it.
Maybe 32 and 64 bit release of the Open Box XFCE-JWM version in one thread with added a (64bit) chrome version (you have suggestion for that, maybe?)

@all
Added to the base files for the build, the repository source (from ubuntuzilla) for seamonkey
So can be added to the install list, package name: seamonkey-mozilla-build

Or, how to install seamonkey, version 2.48 (now) on existing build:

# download signed key
wget -P /etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d/ https://debiandog.github.io/MakeLive/gpg/ubuntuzilla.seamonkey.gpg
# add ubuntuzilla repository
echo "deb http://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/ubuntuzilla/mozilla/apt all main" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/seamonkey.list
apt-get update
apt-get install seamonkey-mozilla-build
Fred