CUPS printing - installation script - update 13SEP06

News, happenings
pakt

#61 Post by pakt »

fluxit wrote:In other words, leafpad's print jobs require special handling by the printing system or driver, which some drivers do(handle) and some don't.

Clear as mud?
Ok, got it.

Might be interesting to see if the CUPS error log (in debug mode) has anything to say about the blank pages from Leafpad...

sheine

I tried but failed

#62 Post by sheine »

When I get to ./install-sh, it says no input file selected. What do I do? I have added the missing perl.

pakt

Re: I tried but failed

#63 Post by pakt »

sheine wrote:When I get to ./install-sh, it says no input file selected. What do I do? I have added the missing perl.
I'm afraid you are running one of Puppy's other shell scripts.

When you've unpacked the downloaded file according to my instructions, do this to run the CUPS install script:

# cd cups-install
# sh cups-install.sh

sheine

#64 Post by sheine »

pakt wrote:
sheine wrote:When I get to ./install-sh, it says no input file selected. What do I do? I have added the missing perl.

When you've unpacked the downloaded file according to my instructions, do this to run the CUPS install script:

# cd cups-install
# sh cups-install.sh

sheine

#65 Post by sheine »

pakt wrote:

# cd cups-install
# sh cups-install.sh
I am using cups-1.3svn-r5805 and did exactly what you said. I still get "no input file specified".

pakt

#66 Post by pakt »

sheine wrote: I am using cups-1.3svn-r5805 and did exactly what you said. I still get "no input file specified".
sheine, I don't know where you got 'cups-1.3svn-r5805' from. The file you should have downloaded (according to my instructions) is cups-install.tar.gz. Please read the first post in this thread again.

davidknibb

#67 Post by davidknibb »

A recommended driver for the HL-1030 is the HL-1250 --see

http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_print ... er-HL-1030

And TurboPrint (which has a free version as well as a more comprehensive paid version ) - has a driver included for the HL-1250.

http://www.turboprint.de/english.html

You you could download and install TurboPrint - and go through the setup procedure for it - which is simple.

You then have at least 2 choices - complete the setup with TurboPrint and be done with it - or use the
Http://localhost:631/ process - you turboprint drivers will show up there.

That's how I got my EpsonDX4850 to work - and it's fine.

The downside with the free version of TurboPrint is that you don't get all the controls enabled to fully configure the printer. But if you only want basic print - then it'll be fine

David

dewdrop

#68 Post by dewdrop »

Hi Paul and other Puppians,

I just installed the new Puppy Office 2.02ce , and following your script on the first post in this thread, completed a successful printer (HP6540 - USB) install.

dewdrop

sheine

#69 Post by sheine »

I got the cups-1.3svr-r5805 on the assumption that the latest version of cups would have my printers. They are both automatically recognized by ubuntu and pclinuxos.

However, I then followed the indicated instructions. When I went to http://localhost:631/, neither of my printers was listed, including my primary one, samsung ml-1210. What is the nest step?

I am very intrigued by the puppy distribution, but I can't use it if it wont print.

davidknibb

#70 Post by davidknibb »

Sheine - have you been to Linuxprinting.org ?? I guess you might get an answer there.

http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_print ... g-ML-1210

and as mentioned above - have you been to TurboPrint ?? Don't know if they have a driver or not.

David

sheine

Re: I tried I failed

#71 Post by sheine »

O.K. I got the printer driver, so how do I install it?

davidknibb

#72 Post by davidknibb »

You don't say which driver/achine or how you got it ? (TurboPrint ??)

If it's TurboPrint, then there are full instructions on the TurboPrint site.

But from memory - you copy the *.tar.gz file to some appropriate folder and then decompress with

tar -xzvf *.tar.gz

cd turboprint (or wherever it extracts to)

xtpsetup

---

and then answer the questions. My memory might be at fault - so check the details.

When it comes to choosing the machine - use the alternative suggested for the Brother printer

David

sheine

#73 Post by sheine »

I got the driver from http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_print ... ng-ML-1210 .
Turboprint does not include samsung.

In other distributions, the printer wizard automatically picks up new drivers. But I do not know how it is done in puppy.

davidknibb

#74 Post by davidknibb »

If you use the localhost:631 process - get to the page where you add a printer. I think you'll that on the same page you are offered the opportunity to add a PPD file. Browse to where you stored your downloaded driver and point 'Add PPD file' to there. If the downloaded file was compressed (tar.gz) then you will have to decompress it first as I showed above

David

sheine

#75 Post by sheine »

I went to the local host and clicked add printer. You are only given a choice from their printers, not including samsung.

pakt

#76 Post by pakt »

sheine wrote:I went to the local host and clicked add printer. You are only given a choice from their printers, not including samsung.
sheine, copy your downloaded file (Samsung-ML-1210-gdi.ppd) into the same directory that has my cups install script (/root/cups-install/) then restart cups with this command '/etc/rc.d/rc.cups start'. Now your Samsung printer should be listed when you try to add a printer.

pakt

#77 Post by pakt »

davidknibb wrote:A recommended driver for the HL-1030 is the HL-1250 --see
http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_print ... er-HL-1030
David, thanks for the info, but I think there has been a misunderstanding. I already have my Brother HL-1030 working in Puppy 1 & 2 using the 'Brother HL-1030 Foomatic/hl1250' ppd driver. It has been working perfectly for at least 6 months now using CUPS even though it is a 'winprinter'. Shows what a great printing system CUPS is ;)

cobelloy

#78 Post by cobelloy »

I just used the script to install cups in 2.02

no probs - my trusty old HP930c was installed fine

however my shiny new epson stylus cx5700F multifunction requires the latest gutenprint in order to work - so long story short - I used the deb installer to get it and now I also have the epson installed and working lovely too

see here for more details

http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?p=62640#62640

sheine

#79 Post by sheine »

pakt wrote:
sheine wrote:I went to the local host and clicked add printer. You are only given a choice from their printers, not including samsung.
sheine, copy your downloaded file (Samsung-ML-1210-gdi.ppd) into the same directory that has my cups install script (/root/cups-install/) then restart cups with this command '/etc/rc.d/rc.cups start'. Now your Samsung printer should be listed when you try to add a printer.
I followed the instructions and then went to localhost:631. Under "Add New Printer", I typed Samsung. The next step was "Device for Samsung". I chose USB Printer#1 (Samsung ML-1210). This was an advance since it now listed my printer. However, the next step was "Make" and I had the same old choices, e.g. Lexmark, HP, etc. What next?

pakt

#80 Post by pakt »

sheine wrote: I followed the instructions and then went to localhost:631. Under "Add New Printer", I typed Samsung. The next step was "Device for Samsung". I chose USB Printer#1 (Samsung ML-1210). This was an advance since it now listed my printer. However, the next step was "Make" and I had the same old choices, e.g. Lexmark, HP, etc. What next?
sheine, I just thought of something - copy your Samsung *.ppd to /usr/share/cups/model/ instead of what I said before, then restart CUPS with '/etc/rc.d/rc.cups start'. Now you should see 'Samsung' in 'Make' and 'ML-1210' in 'Model'.

The instruction to put the *.ppd file in the same directory as the CUPS install script works, but only if you rerun the script. I wasn't very clear about that, but it is mentioned in my original instructions.