ChoicePup4.1.2

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
jrb

#61 Post by jrb »

technosaurus,
I have put together the .desktops into folders with the same name as the .sfs package. I have thought of a few complications, however. Some packages have more than one .desktop, K-Office has 14! To keep the icons straight I will have to make a subfolder for each .desktop. Not such a big deal.

What is more complicated is having 3 packages that have firefox as the executable. 2 have /usr/bin/firefox and one has /usr/lib/FirePupv4/firefox. Of course the executable name could be changed or symlinked to.

Let me know what you think. I'll start making sub-folders.

tlchost

Re: ChoicePup4.1.2

#62 Post by tlchost »

jrb wrote: You can mount and use:

ch-firefox-3.0.3.sfs]ch-firefox-3.0.3.sfs
How do you load these packages?  There are two methods:

1.      Find the packages with RoxFiler (file icon on the desktop).  They can be anywhere but your best bet is to place them in /mnt/home (where your pup_save file will go) or what will become /mnt/home as this will be necessary for method 2.

Right click on one of the ch-.sfs packages and click on OpenWith on the  menu.  Click on load_sfs .  This will install the package and make it useable.  Using this method you may also uninstall the package when you are finished by choosing OpenWith - unload_sfs. (Thanks to jcoder24 and gyro for load_sfs and unload_sfs)
Having taken my daily dose of confusion and stoopid pills, I followed the above with the sfs on one of my USB drives.....magically, Firefox showed up in the Internet menu. Just as magically, it's didn't run.

Was my error NOT placing the sfs in /mnt/home, or is there some blood offering I must offer to the Linux Ghods to make things work correctly.

My success with Linux stuff reminds me of the first time I went into the deep end of the pool.....luckily I kept on coming to the surface for air.

thanks,
Thom

Ray MK

#63 Post by Ray MK »

Hi tlchost

I suspect you may have the earlier iso - which has bug and wont run firefox - so you need the later improved v2 iso (16th Apr) with the pup_choicex70U,sfs file.

Fixes a number of small sfs loading issues.

Hope that helps - best regards - Ray

rheya

#64 Post by rheya »

I need to save some writings I have , so I scanned them ( in windows :cry: )..
My scanner permits saving them in PDF , but I need to convert them in text so I could try to edit them ...
is there any choisepup program that permits it ?
thanks boys..
hugs
rheya
LIVE CD CHOICEPUP 412
puppy 412 USB
[url]http://www.italian-ice-creams.blogspot.com[/url]

[url]http://www.ilgelatobcn.blogspot.com[/url]

Ice cream is exquisite: it's a pity it isn't illegal.
Voltaire.

jrb

#65 Post by jrb »

technosaurus,
I have uploaded ChoicePup-desktops.tar.gz which contains the .desktops, icons and a Readme.txt file with a few of my comments on the project. Lots of menu items, lots of icons, Good Luck!

Cheers, J

jrb

#66 Post by jrb »

rheya,
You need OCR software. I haven't got time to work on it today, but I will put it on my list.

Bye for now, J

technosaurus

#67 Post by technosaurus »

jrb wrote:technosaurus,
What is more complicated is having 3 packages that have firefox as the executable. 2 have /usr/bin/firefox and one has /usr/lib/FirePupv4/firefox. Of course the executable name could be changed or symlinked to.

Let me know what you think. I'll start making sub-folders.
It shouldn't be an issue as long as the pet package has a .desktop file(s) of the same name. The rest is just an issue of the original packagers not making their programs compatible with other versions... it seems ttuuxxx has gone the extra mile to do it with Firepup... it only would ever be an issue if someone wanted to have 2 conflicting programs loaded simultaneously ... they would have the same issues with petget or nearly any package manager
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

rheya

#68 Post by rheya »

jrb wrote:rheya,
You need OCR software. I haven't got time to work on it today, but I will put it on my list.

Bye for now, J
thank you ,jrb ...you are sweet ! :P
LIVE CD CHOICEPUP 412
puppy 412 USB

Voltaire.

tlchost

#69 Post by tlchost »

Ray MK wrote:Hi tlchost

I suspect you may have the earlier iso - which has bug and wont run firefox - so you need the later improved v2 iso (16th Apr) with the pup_choicex70U,sfs file.

Fixes a number of small sfs loading issues.

Hope that helps - best regards - Ray
Thanks....some of the problems disappeared....but

A. CUPS doesn't recognize my HP LaserJet4Plus(But I have a version that does

B. After setting up xvesa for my system, on reboot the menu bar at the bottom of the screen has disappeared....going into xvesea setup restores it....but it's not saved after rebbot with save

C. There is no /mnt/home that I can see...so the boot manager doesn't allow the selected sfs files to be loaded at bootup.

D. There is no yellow mark on any of the drives displayed on the desktop.

I am attempting all this with a LiveCD, could that be part of the problem?

Thanks
Thom

technosaurus

#70 Post by technosaurus »

@tclhost - for hp printers ... hplip may be required? but /mnt/home won't appear until you have a pupsave file

@anyone? should I hard code the version numbers or use (for example) wine*.sfs for loading sfs modules... In other words it better to have the ability to upgrade easily or be able to support multiple versions?

@jrb - the installer script can be edited to copy additional files from the cd (such as extra sfs files) ... i worked on this and a remaster script that supports adding files and could easily be adapted - I can post when I get home if this is something you would like to use/add... I may need to do some modification since I was setting it up for portable apps for wine (you beat me to the punch with choicepup... I was working on a similar concept from a different angle - I think it may work out quite well)
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

tlchost

#71 Post by tlchost »

technosaurus wrote:@tclhost - for hp printers ... hplip may be required? but /mnt/home won't appear until you have a pupsave file
Thanks for the CUPS hint....I'll use the older version...it works. As far as the pupsave file....based on that word, I assume that since one does not create a pupsave file with a Live-CD, the boot manager option won't work with a LiveCD ? It certainly didn't for me.....
technosaurus wrote: a remaster script that supports adding files and could easily be adapted - I can post when I get home if this is something you would like to use/add... I may need to do some modification since I was setting it up for portable apps for wine
I would love to be able to remaster so that all the "stuff" I add to /etc and /root becomes part of the new ISO. I also use portable apps...so having a LiveCD and/or bootable USB that allows me to use my PortableAps USB drive would be a real plus....no conversion of data between Linux and Windows....the LiveCD/Bootable USB drive could be my "Office on the Go".

Thom

rheya

#72 Post by rheya »

jrb wrote :
I had hoped that .mozilla and .googleearth could be put on /mnt/home automatically but it didn't work. You can still move them there yourself, when firefox and googleearth are shut down, and then symlink back to /root. They both take up quite a bit of room which could fill up your pup_save.
I did it the way you told me and it worked , but I wonder what is the different between " relative " and " absolute " link ? :roll:

besides, talking about thunderbird, I symlinked it in one of my saves sfs files ( I have two of them, 1 experimental, the other official, you know :oops: ) and I noticed it's impossible to symlink thunderbird twice ( I understand it ) , anyway, I hope every change in thunderbird configuration will result updating itself in the other user's saved sfs file...or not ? :shock: :o
LIVE CD CHOICEPUP 412
puppy 412 USB

Voltaire.

technosaurus

#73 Post by technosaurus »

@tclhost - if you use my wine-1.1.19 sfs via the boot manager (vs. on the fly in choicepup) and have puppy installed to the root of the usb drive (the default method - not in a folder) and Portable Apps installed to the same drive (also the default) it should automatically bring up the portable apps menu in your tray. I didn't make a menu entry for it because it has its own menu and also it will only start if you actually have portable apps - otherwise it goes unnoticed (see /root/Startup)

also as to adding stuff from /root /etc - the normal method allows you to copy stuff over before things are finalized, but you have to do it manually

tlchost

#74 Post by tlchost »

technosaurus wrote:@tclhost - if you use my wine-1.1.19 sfs via the boot manager (vs. on the fly in choicepup) and have puppy installed to the root of the usb drive (the default method - not in a folder) and Portable Apps installed to the same drive (also the default) it should automatically bring up the portable apps menu in your tray.
I am feeling so dumb....if I make a bootable USB, then the save file will be there...and thhen the boot manager will function?

I guess trying to make a LiveCD with the boot manager is part of the problem???

thanks

Thom

jrb

#75 Post by jrb »

Hi tlchost,
We need to figure out whats happening to your pup_save.2fs file when you shut down the livecd. ChoicePup isn't finding it when you reboot. Can you give details on how you're shutting down? Where are you saving? What are you calling the file? How big are you making it? Give all the information you can.

Awaiting your reply, J

tlchost

#76 Post by tlchost »

jrb wrote:Hi tlchost,
We need to figure out whats happening to your pup_save.2fs file when you shut down the livecd.
The LiveCD does not make savefiles as such....it creates directories on the CD that date timetime stamped....and there are the changed files in each directory.

So, when you boot the LiveCD, it reads the oldest save dirctories to the newest. The directories are under the main directory of the DVD.

As far as I recall, this is standard behavior for LiveCDs....

Given that, I suppose I will have to try a savefile on some device other than the boot CD.

Thom

jrb

#77 Post by jrb »

tlchost,
I just put out a general call for help over in the Users section. Maybe a livecd expert can figure this out.

We'll see, J

jrb

#78 Post by jrb »

tlchost,
Life has been very busy lately. Hopefully I can try out a livecd myself tomorrow and get back to you.

Bye for now, J

jrb

#79 Post by jrb »

technosaurus,
@jrb - the installer script can be edited to copy additional files from the cd (such as extra sfs files)
I considered creating an ISO with all the .sfs packages but rejected it based on the size of the download. Too much chance of failure for people with low bandwidth. Also not everyone would want all the packages.

What I would like is to edit Bootmanager so that it will look in other folders for the .sfs packages. Possibly even look in a folder like /root/sfs which could contain symlinks to the .sfs packages that one wants loaded at startup.

jrb

#80 Post by jrb »

rheya,
I hope every change in thunderbird configuration will result updating itself in the other user's saved sfs file
If you have a symlink to /mnt/home/.thunderbird in each of your pup_save files then it won't matter which one you use. Your emails will all get saved to the same place and will be available in all your pup_saves.

I have a symlink to /mnt/home/.opera in all my pup_saves. Whenever I use Opera I get all my bookmarks, history, speeddials, etc. Even when I update Opera versions all my old settings are still there.

Sounds like you're really starting to understand this stuff.

Keep up the good work, J