Puppy 4.2 Final

News, happenings
wjaguar

#61 Post by wjaguar »

Found quite a few non-stripped libs in /usr/lib and its subdirs, together wasting a couple megabytes. When space is at a premium, as in Puppy, such things should not be overlooked.

gerry

#62 Post by gerry »

Just a quickie- can 4.2 update a 4.12 pup-save? Or do I have to start from scratch?

At last it's all come to fruition- congratulations everyone! Truly a community effort- not one man's ideas, not a development carried out in secret and unveiled for the hoi-polloi to use, a real world-wide community project, with all the wrangling carried out in public. I'm amazed that it all came together!

Gerry

Max Headroom

Very impressive :)

#63 Post by Max Headroom »

When Running the "Puppy Universal installer" it Doesn't AutoMnt the Hard D' Drive, therefore when "install Grub" Stage o' the "Grub BootLoader Config" Occurs, U Get "the Partition "/dev/sda" is not Linux" Message & it Doesn't Offer where 2 put Grub Destination Root / Floppy / or MBR Choices! Then if I Manually Mnt My Hard D' Drive it Creates the Grub Folder inside the Boot Folder, But NOT its' Contents ie. No menu.lst, Device Maps, or Other Necessary Grub Files! Just eMpTy :(
This Certainly Didn't happen w/ the RCs I Tried on Different Hardware.
Altho the Paint isn't Dry Yet on this Release, I was Also Wundrin when ( Timeline...? ) or if since Barry is making Steady Progress w/ Woof / Puppy 5 ( ? ), there's Likely 2 be a Dingo 4.3 w/ Updated Kennel :) err Kernel, X Org 7.4, & Barrys' New Trim the Fat Feature ? :) Congrats 2 All Concerned... Thanx Again!
Last edited by Max Headroom on Sat 28 Mar 2009, 23:30, edited 1 time in total.

dejan555

#64 Post by dejan555 »

Errr, there's httpd instead hiawatha in this release, I don't mind that but where's that directory for html documents, can't find it?

EDIT: OK, found it it's in /usr/htdocs/
puppy.b0x.me stuff mirrored [url=https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_Mb589v0iCXNnhSZWRwd3R2UWs]HERE[/url] or [url=http://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_puppy.b0x.me_mirror]HERE[/url]

WhoDo

Re: desktop icons

#65 Post by WhoDo »

pupshock wrote:sending desktop icons to the 'Trash' will 'move the original item' to the Trash. This is counterintuitive for Windows refugees, who expect only the desktop item to move to Trash. Mmm, it's counterintuitive, period.
This is a feature of the ROX Pinboard and the way it functions. What is on the desktop is only a shortcut. When you remove the shortcut you have NOT removed the original item, which will still reside in the system. Under JWM you can use Zigbert's icon2desk feature (left pop-out tray) to drag and drop the application shortcut back again OR you can create a hard link by finding the original item in the directory (which xxx at a CLI prompt) and dragging that to the desktop.
pupshock wrote:Osmo doesnt shut down properly.
Start & stop Osmo a few times. Check htop: the processes are still there.
This is a feature of Osmo. Once started it remains active in the System tray area of the task bar, You need to right-click the icon and select Quit to shut down the Osmo program properly and not just click the close button on the window title bar.

Hope that helps
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

WhoDo

#66 Post by WhoDo »

wjaguar wrote:Found quite a few non-stripped libs in /usr/lib and its subdirs, together wasting a couple megabytes. When space is at a premium, as in Puppy, such things should not be overlooked.
Agreed, Dmitry. ttuuxxx supplied a bunch of stripped libs but there simply wasn't time to include them in the testing cycle. They were supplied en masse in a single tarball and I couldn't take the time to do a postal sort to put them into their respective packages. They certainly should be added to the Unleashed core being built for uploading though.

Those libs aren't built from a single location either. They are drawn from all over the Unleashed packages directory and consolidated into the rootfs-complete /usr/lib directory just prior to building the .iso file. If you have the time, I would be grateful if you could supply a list of the libs that aren't stripped so I can strip them in situ within their various packages before uploading updated packages to the ibiblio.org pet-packages-4 repository.

Thanks, mate.
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]

WhoDo

#67 Post by WhoDo »

gerry wrote:Just a quickie- can 4.2 update a 4.12 pup-save?
Yes it can. When you boot with the 4.12 pup_save in the psubdir nominated, you should be asked if you want to upgrade. If you do not want to upgrade it and respond so, Puppy 4.2 should boot with pfix=ram option so you can move it, back it up or whatever.

Hope that helps.

WhoDo

Re: Very impressive :)

#68 Post by WhoDo »

Max Headroom wrote:...Altho the Paint isn't Dry Yet on this Release, I was Wundrin when ( Timeline...? ) or if since Barry is making Steady Progress w/ Woof / Puppy 5 ( ? ), there's Likely 2 be a Dingo 4.3 w/ Updated Ke*nel, X Org 7.4, & Barrys' New Trim the Fat Feature ? Yhanx Again!
It is my understanding that future versions of Puppy - i.e. from 4.3 onward - will be built from our Git repository, based on 4.2 and using the Woof build system and its components (instead of Unleashed), including the Woof package manager with its "Trim the Fat" feature.

I say "it is my understanding" because I haven't yet had the opportunity to delve into Woof or Git, but that is certainly on my agenda. One of the great benefits for me, and I hope the Puppy community in general, in my taking control for the 4.2 official release project has been that Barry has been freed to devote much more time to Woof and to the new package manager among many other things.

It is by no means certain that I will continue to lead the standard Puppy build projects going forward to 4.3 and beyond. Barry may have other plans entirely; who knows. Whoever is in command for the next official release, the Git repository and Woof build system are certain to make the task a whole lot simpler and easier than it is right now!

I hope that answers your questions.

Max Headroom

Thanx 4 Y'r Reply WhoDo

#69 Post by Max Headroom »

When Running the "Puppy Universal installer" it Doesn't AutoMnt the Hard D' Drive, therefore when "install Grub" Stage o' the "Grub BootLoader Config" Occurs, U Get "the Partition "/dev/sda" is not Linux" Message & it Doesn't Offer where 2 put Grub Destination Root / Floppy / or MBR Choices! Then if I Manually Mnt My Hard D' Drive it Creates the Grub Folder inside the Boot Folder, But NOT its' Contents ie. No menu.lst, Device Maps, or Other Necessary Grub Files! Just eMpTy
This Certainly Didn't happen w/ the RCs I Tried on Different Hardware.

runtt21

#70 Post by runtt21 »

Whodo said,"
No, not yet. I will be uploading a devx_420.sfs, a new Unleashed_core-420 and some updated pets for the pet-packages-4 directory. Patience please."

I will indeed be patient good sir. All of you have done an outstanding job with this release.I am very impressed and I look forward to building lots of macpup's with it.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#71 Post by Béèm »

Special thanks to Whodo for his work, but also for the team who helped him.
Without that team, 4.2 might not have seen the light.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

wjaguar

#72 Post by wjaguar »

WhoDo wrote:If you have the time, I would be grateful if you could supply a list of the libs that aren't stripped so I can strip them in situ within their various packages before uploading updated packages to the ibiblio.org pet-packages-4 repository.
The below incantatation conjures the list. :-)

Code: Select all

find /usr/lib/ -exec file '{}' \; | grep 'not stripped'

WhoDo

#73 Post by WhoDo »

wjaguar wrote:The below incantatation conjures the list. :-)

find /usr/lib/ -exec file '{}' \; | grep 'not stripped'
Thank you, Dmitry. CLI is definitely not my forte, so incantations, potions and poltices are definitely required! :P

muggins

#74 Post by muggins »

Well done WhoDo, I haven't download it as yet but, being down here in Hobart as winter is looming, that beach certainly looks tantalising!

Do you need to know which libs aren't stripped? Can't you just run:

strip --strip-unneeded /usr/lib/lib*
Or, if you want to shave a humongous extra 1kbyte of each file, use sstrip: sstrip /usr/lib/lib*
Attachments
sstrip.zip
(2.82 KiB) Downloaded 392 times

wjaguar

#75 Post by wjaguar »

muggins wrote:Do you need to know which libs aren't stripped? Can't you just run:

strip --strip-unneeded /usr/lib/lib*
This doesn't go into subdirectories; 'find' does.

BTW, not only /usr/lib needs be scanned for unstripped stuff - there is some in /usr/bin and /usr/sbin too.

muggins

#76 Post by muggins »

Yes, I usually run a bodged up script to recursively strip libs & bins, cheers.

01micko

#77 Post by 01micko »

Well I now have 4.2 up and running on 3 machines, my Athlon2100+/512DDR as a save back to dvd, , my IBM Thinkpad R31, celery1066/512SDRAM live with pupsave, and my son's newish Lenovo Thinkpad R61e, celery 2GHz/2GiBDDR2RAM live with pupsave.

They all have wings... Puppy .... Red Bull for your computer! :)

(Soon to be running on this thing I found at the dump...IBM Aptiva.... just going on looks I'd guess it's at least a P2, I have plenty of spare ram)

:mrgreen:

edit: its a K6 400 and I found 256 of ram :wink:
Just booted into 4.2 and am now posting from it so now we can make that 4! Yet another machine rescued by Puppy! It is quite nippy too...
Last edited by 01micko on Sun 29 Mar 2009, 04:12, edited 2 times in total.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

hayagix

#78 Post by hayagix »

Congratulations to WhoDo and the 4.2 team.

Beautiful, fast, and a terrific selection of apps.

This is dynamite in 100 megabytes.

thane

#79 Post by thane »

First-time Linux user, just downloaded 4.1.2 this week (what I'm using now) and very impressed.

Anyone have plans for a 'Lite' version of 4.2 (I'm using 4.1.2 almost exclusively for web surfing)?

XiaolinDraconis

#80 Post by XiaolinDraconis »

just wanna say thanks a lot guys.
all that hard work was worth it.
you did a great job!

@thane: yes
someone will have a barebones version out very soon im sure