Puppy 4.2 RC3 Deep Thought - Bugs & Fixes

panzerpuppy

#61 Post by panzerpuppy »

The 'retro' version (for old machines) can be shipped without the bling.
That's a good compromise.

panzerpuppy

#62 Post by panzerpuppy »

ttuuxxx wrote:I won't even go there :wink:
Flat icons....ugh! :D
Last edited by panzerpuppy on Sun 15 Mar 2009, 05:49, edited 1 time in total.

WhoDo

#63 Post by WhoDo »

panzerpuppy wrote:
You might be a dictator, but I never known a single dictator that wasn't wrong at least once in there Raine. This time my friend you are wrong full stop. It needs to be off by default, that would be a compromise.
No problem.Just let him do what he likes. After the release,you can always make your own,much better 'light' variant and use some clever / aggressive advertising :)
Your puplet might get more downloads than the official release :D
Suggesting that ttuuxxx "let him do what he likes" presumes he has a choice in the matter. He doesn't and neither do you. We started this journey with the first Alpha upload on January 17th. It is now March 15th - the Ides of March; when Caesar was stabbed in the back on the steps of the Forum by several of his so-called friends. Ironic that!

There have been 4 Alpha releases, 2 Beta releases and now 3 Release Candidates in the intervening 8 weeks or so, all carried out in my spare time (read my free, personal and family time) after work or while I've been off work sick. It has been a labour of love, but not without its pain. Why, under those circumstances, would any reasonable person think that NOW would be the just right time to start demanding major changes of policy or direction? :roll:

If this sort of argumentative approach doesn't stop, here and now, then I'll simply make what changes I already have, upload the Final Release and walk away. That's not a threat; just a statement of fact. I have a great deal of patience, but like the government dealing with the global economic crisis I've been forced to spend those resources very quickly for little apparent return. Enough is enough!
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

01micko

#64 Post by 01micko »

Hi all. :)

Just a simple statement of fact here. Bear in mind this test was conducted with the machine at idle and no windows or extras open. I run in RAM with a 1,5GiB swap partition, save is back to CD.

Htop process viewer says my machine has 471MiB RAM, that's fine, I have onboard graphics.

When Pwwidgets is running, 5 widgets, Xonclock and 4 conky based widgets, Htop reports I am using 102MiB of RAM.

When Pwidgets is turned off it reports I am using 100MiB RAM.

When Pwidgets is off and 1 Seamonkey window is open I am using 120MiB of RAM.

When Pwidgets is on and Seamonkey has 1 window open I am using 126MiB of Ram.

By that rationale, at worst, with Pwidgets running 5 widgets, it is using 4MiB of RAM. That's less than 1%. And 1 more widget than default. Sure, play Tv and Slideshow and these numbers will go up significantly. Try this experiment if you like.

Remember, everything was loaded and machine was at idle.

NB: Htop reported that NO swap was used in each test.

Cheers All. :)
Last edited by 01micko on Sun 15 Mar 2009, 06:11, edited 1 time in total.

WhoDo

#65 Post by WhoDo »

ttuuxxx wrote:
WhoDo wrote: ttuuxxx your the man :)
I don't recall EVER using that precise expression. I may have thought it more than once, but if I ever wrote it down I would at least have used the correct form of the expression viz. "you're the man".
ttuuxxx wrote:Anyways why not be a bud and work with me on this, meaning, If I supply you with some scripts from series 4.12 and maybe a few tiny extras, after your finished with your final release for new PC's only, then maybe you could make one last Unofficial release to please the rest of us? without pwidgets, without the new theme switcher and 133 shortcuts, I can work on it if you want and give you a couple of pets and instructions, hows that? So then the Final is with Pwidgets and the unofficial final is without. ? It shouldn't take much of your time to remove say 4 or 5 pets and replace them with like 5 or 6 new/older ones and upload it?
That's what RemaX (Remaster Express) is for. OTOH, unless I walk away from everything else, all I have time for right now is a Retro version of the current release, followed ... MAYBE ... by a CE version with all the bells and whistles. That "maybe" is getting bigger, and bigger, and bigger by the day. :(

Why would I go back to producing a Lite Standard version on request when all of the pets are now in the ibiblio.org repository and anyone ... absolutely ANYONE ... can download the Unleashed core and the pet packages and brew their own? Or when it's even simpler for absolutely anyone to just RemaX the standard release the way they'd like and then release that? :?

Why does a Lite Standard version have to come from ME? Is it a credibility thing? But isn't it my credibility over this decision that's being questioned here? I'm sorry; maybe I'm stupid but I just don't understand the reason for the request. :?
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]

WhoDo

Boiling Point ...

#66 Post by WhoDo »

The boiling point of water is 212 degrees F or 100 degrees C. Even though my body is better than 90% water, mine's a whole lot lower than that and way closer than many here might think.

This is a BUGS & FIXES thread and definitely NOT the place to argue policy or direction. I am sorely tired of having my threads hijacked in this manner, and I'm simmering with anger that my earlier warnings about such things have simply been ignored.

Therefore, I will rest for 24 hours until my temperature cools to rational levels and then I will decide whether I will simply upload what I have as Puppy 4.2 Final and be done, or persist with the further "polishing" this release deserves.

I am NOT looking for expressions of support, apologies, reasoned arguments, pleas or excuses. My decision is out of anyone's hands but my own at this point. Sow the wind and reap the whirlwind they say. We'll see.

ttuuxxx

Re: Boiling Point ...

#67 Post by ttuuxxx »

WhoDo wrote:The boiling point of water is 212 degrees F or 100 degrees C.
The reason I ask you to make the lite version is that
- you have more experience than everyone on this forum making a release put together, nobody other than Barry has made as many as you have,
- you know what you put into 4.2 over 4.12, you have everything already in front of you, its very simple for you to add 5 and remove 5 packages.
-your the dictator who decided that It stays by default, Well don't you feel like making everyone happy, I sure as heck try to.
-You asked for a full version of Seamonkey, That has taken me well over 12hrs to do, and I did that only because you wanted it. What I'm asking you should only take 1-2 hours. that seems fair. well actually your getting the way better deal but that just how the cards are unfolded. :)
Take care and please don't let it get at you, we're all friends here.
ttuuxxx

Ps I'm testing the 11MB seamonkey
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

sata80

Re: widgets

#68 Post by sata80 »

WhoDo wrote:
sata80 wrote:I have removed "show widgets" from startup folder and rebooted but widgets appear after i change wallpaper in JWM.
Not tested in iceWM.
Use "Stop Widgets" on File menu in Pwidgets manager and report.
Yes, that did it.

zigbert

#69 Post by zigbert »

Warren
Here is the fixmenus fix.
The attached files includes the fix.

/usr/sbin/fixmenus, remove
# 1nov2008: zigbert
# - improved formating of menu
# - hardlinks of all menu-apps in $HOME/my-applications/bin/

#1nov2008:
#symlink all menu-apps in $HOME/my-applications/bin/
mkdir -p $HOME/my-applications/bin 2> /dev/null
APPS="`ls -1 /usr/share/applications | tr '\n' ' '`"
for I in $APPS
do
APP="/usr/share/applications/$I"
TMP="`cat $APP | grep -m 1 ^Exec= | cut -d ' ' -f 1 | cut -d '=' -f 2`"
EXEC=`which $TMP`
TMP=`readlink $EXEC`; if [ "$TMP" ]; then EXEC=`which $TMP`; fi #if symlink
TMP=`echo $EXEC | grep AppRun`; if [ "$TMP" ]; then TMP2=`dirname "$TMP"`; EXEC=`which $TMP2`; fi
echo $EXEC
ln -fs $EXEC $HOME/my-applications/bin/
done

/usr/sbin/petget, line 443
yaf-splash -font "8x16" -outline 0 -margin 4 -bg orange -text "PETget package manager
Updating menu, please wait..." & #9x15B also looks okay.
MENUPID=$!
#master help index has to be updated...
#to speed things up, find the help files in the new pkg only...
/usr/sbin/indexgen.sh ${WKGDIR}/${APKGNAME}

#zigbert - add symlink in /root/my-applications/bin
APP=`grep '.desktop' $HOME/.packages/${APKGNAME}.files`
EXEC=`which $TMP`
TMP=`echo $EXEC | grep AppRun`; if [ "$TMP" ]; then TMP2=`dirname "$TMP"`; EXEC=`which $TMP2`; fi
#zigbert end

#Reconstruct configuration files for JWM, Fvwm95, IceWM...
/usr/sbin/fixmenus
kill $MENUPID

#this usually only applies to an alien pkg...
if [ "$PETREGISTER" = "no" ];then
gxmessage "PET package ${APKGNAME}.pet installed.
It is not registered with PETget so cannot be uninstalled."
exit
fi

/usr/sbin/petget, line 1486
#v2.14 dunno why, this causes the do-loop to exit after first loop
# (if there are multiple pkgs to remove)...
##remove any entries in the master help index...
#/usr/sbin/indexgen.sh remove $WKGDIR/$APKGNAME.files

#v1.0.6 do not remove w.m. menu config files...
cat $WKGDIR/$APKGNAME.files | grep -v "\\.icewm/menu" | grep -v "\\.jwmrc" | grep -v "\\.fvwm95rc" > /tmp/removefileslist.txt
sync
cp -f /tmp/removefileslist.txt $WKGDIR/$APKGNAME.files
FDESK=""

#zigbert - remove symlink from /root/my-applications/bin
for ONEFILE in `cat ./$APKGNAME.files`
do
if [ "`basename $ONEFILE | grep '.desktop'`" ]; then
TMP="`cat $ONEFILE | grep -m 1 ^Exec= | cut -d ' ' -f 1 | cut -d '=' -f 2`"
TMP2=`which $TMP`
TMP3=`basename $TMP2`
rm $HOME/my-applications/bin/$TMP3
fi
done
#zigbert end

for ONEFILE in `cat ./$APKGNAME.files`
do
#v2.14 if there is a .desktop file, then need to regenerate the menu...
[ ! "`echo -n "$ONEFILE" | grep '\.desktop$'`" = "" ] && FDESK="$ONEFILE"
#.files file may be malformed. check entry is a genuine file...
#v2.11 some symlinks may not get removed. '-e' will not work if symlink
#is pointing to a non-existent file. So, check for symlink...
Attachments
petget_and_fixmenus.tar.gz
(21.43 KiB) Downloaded 663 times

ttuuxxx

#70 Post by ttuuxxx »

As Bugs & Fixes goes, I consider 133 system links in a root folder where any new user can accidentally delete it a major bug and needs to fixed, also I don't know how micko managed to see his memory resources being so low, I just tried on my slower 1 gig or ram pc and it was taking close to 1% on ddr2 800, imagine a 256MB sdram 133, Thats a bug and won't get fixed unless you try to work with us, I sure hope you do.

Here's what you asked for, 10866KB Seamonkey, its been tested and works fine :)
http://www.puppylinux.asia/tpp/ttuuxxx/ ... 1.14-1.pet

ttuuxxx

P.s Do you need any other help with this release or am I finished ?

zigbert

#71 Post by zigbert »

Here is the icon_switcher fix:
You can now include separate 24x24 icons in /usr/local/lib/X11/themes/. When icons are copied to /usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps, 24x24 icons will NOT be overwritten by the iconswitcher unless theme misses unique 24x24 icons.

/usr/sbin/icon_switcher, line 85
for ONEPNG in `find /usr/local/lib/X11/themes/${NEWTHEME}/ -maxdepth 1 -name \*.png | tr '\n' ' '` #removed -type f (zigbert - Puppy 4.2)
do
ONEBASENAME="`basename $ONEPNG .png`"
cp -f $ONEPNG /usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps/
touch -m /usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps/${ONEBASENAME}.png #v3.98
xONEBASENAME="`basename $ONEBASENAME 48`"
if [ "$xONEBASENAME" != "$ONEBASENAME" ] && [ ! -f /usr/local/lib/X11/themes/${NEWTHEME}/$ONEPNG];then #scale to 24 pixels...
pngtopnm -alpha $ONEPNG > /tmp/temp.pbm #separate transparency channel.
pnmscale -reduce 2 /tmp/temp.pbm > /tmp/temp2.pbm
pngtopnm $ONEPNG | pnmscale -reduce 2 | pnmtopng -alpha=/tmp/temp2.pbm > /usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps/${xONEBASENAME}24.png
touch -m /usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps/${xONEBASENAME}24.png #v3.98
fi
done
Attachments
icon_switcher.tar.gz
(1.73 KiB) Downloaded 645 times

WhoDo

Re: Boiling Point ...

#72 Post by WhoDo »

ttuuxxx wrote:The reason I ask you to make the lite version is that
- you have more experience than everyone on this forum making a release put together, nobody other than Barry has made as many as you have,
I'd say that MU, Pizzasgood, NathanF and quite a few others might disagree, but I do take your point.
ttuuxxx wrote:- you know what you put into 4.2 over 4.12, you have everything already in front of you, its very simple for you to add 5 and remove 5 packages.
Simple? Yes. Easy? Well that's another story. I can't burn the candle at both ends the way you do, ttuuxxx. Most days I have 4-5 good hours available for this stuff, and there's still the Retro (not too much trouble) and maybe the CE to go yet.
ttuuxxx wrote:-your the dictator who decided that It stays by default, Well don't you feel like making everyone happy, I sure as heck try to.
-You asked for a full version of Seamonkey, That has taken me well over 12hrs to do, and I did that only because you wanted it. What I'm asking you should only take 1-2 hours. that seems fair. well actually your getting the way better deal but that just how the cards are unfolded. :)
Oh, there's no doubt I'd be getting the better end of that deal. It's not that I can't do it, or even that I don't want to do it. The point is that it wouldn't be right at the moment. After both Standard and Retro are on the shelves, that's another matter. You have supported the Deep Thought project mightily from the beginning, and there is nothing I'd like better than to return at least some of that support. Politically speaking, however, this is neither the time nor the place to call in those markers, Jeff. Like I said, take this offline for best results. PM me to discuss and we'll go from there.
ttuuxxx wrote:Take care and please don't let it get at you, we're all friends here.
I'm glad you feel that way, Jeff. Leadership and decision-making don't often produce friendships from among those required to follow the lead and implement the decisions. I have tried to be consultative rather than dictatorial, but at some point a decision must be made that will please some and disappoint others. It is important to recognise that such decisions are seldom made on personal grounds, and that is almost never the case where volunteers are involved.

ttuuxxx

#73 Post by ttuuxxx »

Hey I noticed something also when I checked the size of the Seamonkey working directory, with debug enabled it was just over 1 gig, and with it disabled it was 415MB wow what a size difference. anyways I'll try one last large thing hopefully for this project, I'll try to compile the latest Firefox for the repo, It will look good on distrowatch green area :)
ttuuxxx

zigbert

#74 Post by zigbert »

Warren
Here's an optimized globicon file for your rc3. See the result when 'Add icon' from left tray.
Attachments
globicons.tar.gz
(3.69 KiB) Downloaded 641 times

zigbert

#75 Post by zigbert »

Warren
Very important
When building the iso from the unleashed tree, does every program installs via petget????? If not, the fixmenus script does NOT include symlinks in /root/my-applications/bin/. You can run the removed loop from fixmenus on its own.

Code: Select all

for I in $APPS
do
EXEC=`which $TMP`
echo $EXEC
done 

WhoDo

#76 Post by WhoDo »

zigbert wrote:Very important
When building the iso from the unleashed tree, does every program installs via petget????? If not, the fixmenus script does NOT include symlinks in /root/my-applications/bin/. You can run the removed loop from fixmenus on its own.
No, the createpuppy script builds the ISO independant of PETget. I have saved the provided loop as icon2desk-updater so it can be run as a postinstall.sh script during the creation of the ISO.

Thanks Sigmund.

pa_mcclamrock

#77 Post by pa_mcclamrock »

ttuuxxx wrote:Seamonkey by default comes with 2 themes, classic and modern, this is what the 'modern' theme looks like [ . . . ]
To me, it looks just fine the way it is in RC3--a big improvement over the old "Netscape 3" look.
It's stupid to use inferior software for ideological reasons.
--Linus Torvalds

zigbert

#78 Post by zigbert »

Warren
Have you considered to use the earlier loop that split menuitems in 'Name - description' as a postinstall script?

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
for I in $APPS
do
 sed -i -e "s/ - / /g" $APP #remove old split

#Split: avoid split in the following menu entries:
 [ "`grep 'Categories=X-SetupWizard' $APP`" ] && continue #all setup wizards
 [ "`grep 'Name=Puppy ' $APP`" ] && continue #entries starting with 'Puppy'
 [ "`grep 'Name=Add ' $APP`" ] && continue #entries starting with 'Add'
 [ "`grep 'Name=Set ' $APP`" ] && continue #entries starting with 'Set'
 [ "`grep 'Name=Configure Xlock screen locking' $APP`" ] && continue
 [ "`grep 'Name=Desktop drive icons manager' $APP`" ] && continue
 [ "`grep 'Name=Desktop icon switcher' $APP`" ] && continue
 [ "`grep 'Name=Format floppy disk' $APP`" ] && continue
 [ "`grep 'Name=JWM configuration' $APP`" ] && continue
 [ "`grep 'Name=Remaster Puppy live-CD' $APP`" ] && continue
 [ "`grep 'Name=Wizard Wizard' $APP`" ] && continue
 [ "`grep 'Name=Manage Printing' $APP`" ] && continue
 [ "`grep 'Name=Remaster Express' $APP`" ] && continue
 [ "`grep 'Name=Rubix cube' $APP`" ] && continue
 [ "`grep 'Name=Xautoconnect to wireless network' $APP`" ] && continue
 NAME="`cat $APP | grep -m 1 ^Name= | cut -d ' ' -f 1 | cut -d '=' -f 2`"
 sed -i -e "s/^Name=$NAME /Name=$NAME \- /" $APP
done

panzerpuppy

#79 Post by panzerpuppy »

From the Puppy developer blog:
Barry K wrote:I fixed a bug in /sbin/clean_desk_icons (which is called from /root/.xinitrc when X starts). There was a problem that if a USB drive was plugged in, then you Powered-off the computer, changed to a different USB drive, powered-up -- the desktop icons did not update.

Maybe the 4.2 developers have already fixed this? I don't know. I have applied the fix to the script from 4.1.2, and have emailed it to WhoDo. Don't know if it is too late for inclusion in 4.2 final.

Well of course there will be 4.2.1 :smile:

zigbert

#80 Post by zigbert »

The gxine menuitem is unaligned.