[obsolete] Compiz-Fusion Puplet for testing -- aka "W...

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Caneri

#61 Post by Caneri »

Thanks...I will get back to this soon also...I've just gotta wobble....

This is just too much fun to miss.

Be Well
[color=darkred][i]Be not afraid to grow slowly, only be afraid of standing still.[/i]
Chinese Proverb[/color]

Caneri

#62 Post by Caneri »

@titanreign

maybe we can share the anime in your wobble ;)
[color=darkred][i]Be not afraid to grow slowly, only be afraid of standing still.[/i]
Chinese Proverb[/color]

SirDuncan

#63 Post by SirDuncan »

I still haven't gotten Compiz working on my 9550. I think I am going to search my basement for an older computer and test the card in it. If it works in there, I know the problem is probably a conflict with the built in card.

My xorg.conf has no mention of montor1, screen1, etc. In fact, the file looks to me like it is set up perfectly.

To those of you that downloaded my Kiba Dock DotPets:
Has anybody had any problems? Do I need to put a rush on compiling from CB's source?
Be brave that God may help thee, speak the truth even if it leads to death, and safeguard the helpless. - A knight's oath

tombh

#64 Post by tombh »

SirDuncan, did you try running the ATI Installer with the devx and the kernel source? Have you not ever had 3D acceleration going before with that card on Puppy, in Puppy 2 for example with MU's 3DCC? The Kiba Dock crashes fairly often with me, plus the physics causes sardine-can like bunching of the icons, great fun though.

cb88

#65 Post by cb88 »

@sirduncan The kiba-dock works fine for me except the settings(it gives a bunch of Glib_Gobject-CRITICAL **: gtype.c:2242..... errors then seg faults)... no bunching or crashing....
screenshots here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... &start=270
Taking Puppy Linux to the limit of perfection. meanwhile try "puppy pfix=duct_tape" kernel parem eater.
X86: Sager NP6110 3630QM 16GB ram, Tyan Thunder 2 2x 300Mhz
Sun: SS2 , LX , SS5 , SS10 , SS20 ,Ultra 1, Ultra 10 , T2000
Mac: Platinum Plus, SE/30

SirDuncan

#66 Post by SirDuncan »

@tombh: No, I have never had a need to get 3D working on that PC because I only use it to burn CDs with Puppy. I use the Windows install on it to play games (hence the half decent video card), but I mostly use my laptop for all of my schoolwork and websurfing (it is Puppy only). I'm really only trying wNOP on the desktop to test compatibility with the card for you.

I had tried the ATI installer, but didn't realize at the time that I needed the kernel source as well. Given that you said the radeon driver should work with it, I have been focusing on that. I guess I will need to try the ATI installer again.

I've noticed the bunching, too. My fix was to change the icons to something that had some space around it (some transparency around the borders). What exactly does it do when it crashes? Is there anything specific that you do that seems to trigger or make a crash more likely?

@cb88: Nice screens. Do you get these errors on screen or only when you run it fro mthe CLI? Also, do these errors actually case any problems (that you notice) or does Kiba seem to ignore it?
Be brave that God may help thee, speak the truth even if it leads to death, and safeguard the helpless. - A knight's oath

tombh

#67 Post by tombh »

@SirDuncan: Oh yeah I completely forgot! I mentioned it before, but your wNOP dump for the 9550 with the radeon driver is perfect, yes perfect! I only mentioned the intel conflict as a stab in the dark, because from the perspective of 3D setup, you're sorted! So what would be really interesting is the output of:

Code: Select all

compiz-manager
and/or

compiz --replace
after wNOP has loaded with the radeon driver. I also wonder what FPS you get from glxgears? Don't take that card out yet!

About Kiba, the crashes did seem to occur more often when changing settings on the fly, also a lot of the settings didn't work, tray for example. But crashes seemed to happen randomly also :(

So are your exams finished? Did they go well?

SirDuncan

#68 Post by SirDuncan »

Well, I have good news. I know what the problem is. According to the output of "compiz-manager", Compiz thinks that my card is blacklisted. I checked the list online and it is not on it, so I figured it was just a matter of having the same PCI ID as one of the cards that is. I tried running it with "SKIP_CHECKS=yes compiz-manager" and BAM! I had full 3D, wobbily goodness.

You know, one of the first things everyone learns about trouble-shooting in a *nix environment is to run the program from the CLI to get errors. I did not. Now I feel rather silly for ignoring such a basic tenet.

Anyway, it's working now. In fact, I can use more of the plugins with this card.

Yeah, my exams are finished. All of them were fairly difficult, so I can't say that I know I did well. I won't really know until I get my grades within the next week or so.

cb88

#69 Post by cb88 »

kiba dock itself runs fine but the settings does not run at all.... that was the error it was giveing my when i ran it(kiba-settings) from the command line

although I cannot change some of the settings it works perfectly and does not crash....for me anyway ... geforce2 64mb
Taking Puppy Linux to the limit of perfection. meanwhile try "puppy pfix=duct_tape" kernel parem eater.

Volsung

Intel Card

#70 Post by Volsung »

I am using a Intel 82865G Integrated graphics controller and initially, compiz will not run. I tried several diagnostic things:

glxgears worked (showing around 760 FPS)(Not sure if that is enough or not).

I tried using

modprobe i810
to no avail.

lsmod shows this:

sh-3.00# lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
i810                   19328  0 
drm                    79508  1 i810
snd_pcm_oss            41888  0 
parport_pc             31716  1 
lp                     12616  0 
parport                35528  2 parport_pc,lp
snd_mixer_oss          16896  1 snd_pcm_oss
usblp                  14080  0 
zd1211rw               48516  0 
firmware_class          9600  1 zd1211rw
ieee80211softmac       29056  1 zd1211rw
ieee80211              33864  2 zd1211rw,ieee80211softmac
ieee80211_crypt         5632  1 ieee80211
eepro100               30352  0 
mii                     5888  1 eepro100
snd_intel8x0           33692  1 
snd_ac97_codec        101668  1 snd_intel8x0
ac97_bus                2304  1 snd_ac97_codec
snd_pcm                75656  3 snd_pcm_oss,snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec
snd_timer              22020  1 snd_pcm
snd                    52068  8 snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm,snd_timer
soundcore               7520  1 snd
snd_page_alloc         10120  2 snd_intel8x0,snd_pcm
i2c_i801                8720  0 
i2c_core               22032  1 i2c_i801
intel_agp              24860  1 
agpgart                34128  3 drm,intel_agp
fuse                   44052  0 
unionfs                83732  1 
nls_iso8859_1           4224  0 
nls_cp437               5888  0 
usbhid                 24928  0 
usb_storage            83264  0 
ehci_hcd               31116  0 
uhci_hcd               24076  0 
usbcore               127128  7 usblp,zd1211rw,usbhid,usb_storage,ehci_hcd,uhci_hcd
sr_mod                 17188  0 
ide_cd                 39200  0 
cdrom                  36768  2 sr_mod,ide_cd
squashfs               47620  1 
Attached is the dump.
Attachments
wNOPdump.tar.gz
(12.6 KiB) Downloaded 456 times
[img]http://img385.imageshack.us/img385/3843/magussigbc0.jpg[/img]

tombh

#71 Post by tombh »

Hi there Volsung,
Yeah, we had this problem before and a clever chap called pakt figured out that Xorg fails to load the i915 module, so all you need to do is:

modprobe -n i915
modprobe i915
then whilst you're at it, another thing intel chips like to have is the following code

Option "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps" "true"
added to the Device Section of /etc/X11/xorg.conf -- It improves rendering of certain windows such as Thunar.

Oh yeah you'll need to restart X after all that. ([CONTROL+ALT+BACKSPACE] and then "xwin" to return)

But if you could do me a really helpful favour, could you see if the fix works by just typing

modprobe -n i915
into the terminal and restarting X. If that does work then it will be included in wNOP2

And of course to make this fix permanent which ever modprobe solution works will need to be added to the end of /etc/rc.d/rc.local

Hope this helps :)

tombh

#72 Post by tombh »

@SirDuncan: That is good news, it was right under our noses all along! So now I wonder whether I should auto detect for a 9550 and assert SKIP_CHECKS to 1? Perhaps not. Perhaps make a wNOP FAQ or something like that.

Hope you get good grades.

Volsung

#73 Post by Volsung »

@tombh: With just

modprobe -n i915
compiz loads, however, it seems like thunar fails because when I open a window to browse the filesystem (or click on/run from CLI thunar) it is blank. Scratch that- now the only thing that doesn't work is the home link on the desktop. Dunno about that, but compiz runs smoothly.

EDIT: It seems that randomly some windows show and some don't. Perhaps that rendering problem to which you were referring. Sometimes I can open the filesystem, sometimes not. Sometimes I can't use network wizard. They just show a white window. I shall test the render fix you suggested.

EDIT2: After adding that little bit of code to xorg.conf, everything works beautifully. Thanks!

tombh

#74 Post by tombh »

@Volsung: Thanks for your efforts :)
You see the

modprobe -n i915
command simply fetches the module and does not load it, which means that Xorg does the loading bit automatically -- great news. Now I can add a conditional statement in wNOP2 that fetches the i915 module whenever the i810 module is detected. Otherwise it would have seemed a bit crazy to actually load the i915 module everytime if, perhaps sometimes, it wasn't actually going to be used! Oh and of course add that Xaanofscreenpiximythings to wNOP2 aswell!

cb88

#75 Post by cb88 »

tombh: the /usr/share/pixmaps/Thunar/Thunar-fallback-icon.png is missing it causes Thunar to crash whenever there is a link that points to a deleted file i am pretty sure that is the path but it is easy to duplicate just make a link to an empty file then delete the file if you try to view the folder that contains the link thunar will crash

run thunar from the command line and it will tell you the correct path for the Png it can be a symlink to another .png

tombh

#76 Post by tombh »

Thanks cb88, i'll check that out.

tombh

#77 Post by tombh »

Here is another, hopefully more successful dotpet, [no longer available see kirk's thread for the latest ATI fglrx driver]

Again, it is not tested because I don't have a new enough ATI card, so please only use on a "pfix=ram" booted session.

This one has the aticonfig command as part of the post-install script so all you need to do after installing the dotpup is restart X. If X starts up no problem then the driver is working. If this is the case then please send me a wNOPdump and I can make you a an xorg.conf that allows Compiz-Fusion to work.

If you want to edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf yourself do the following:
(1)Open up xorg.conf in mousepad (after the dotpet has been installed and before you restart X)
(2)Add

Load "dri"
to the "Module" Section
(3)Add

Option "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps" "true"

to the "Device" Section
(4)Add

Section "Extensions"
    Option "Composite" "Enable"
EndSection
to the very end of the file.
(5)Restart X
(6) IF Compiz-Fusion doesn't start on return to X then type

compiz-manager
into the terminal.

Let me know how it goes.....

PS If this works then I can starting putting wNOP2 together.
Last edited by tombh on Sun 02 Dec 2007, 14:39, edited 1 time in total.

topjohn

no freaking way! i got wobblies!

#78 Post by topjohn »

just wanted to thank everyone here for all the awesome support and troubleshooting. i'm brand new to puppy, but figured the only thing i, uh "needed" to make the switch from ubuntu was compiz... and now... all hail the wobbly puppy! tombh, you are truly the man. wnop is terrific and all you users and tweakers who contribute, here's to you!

after following almost if not all the suggestions here as i noobishly felt they applied to my ati card, i was able start compiz but with just a white screen. i got cube effects, and expo, but it only showed white screen. no matter good ol tombh hooked me up with a his ati.pet which i installed. then i went and turned off all effects to see if i could start compiz just enough to see my desktop, well, it did, but then i had no borders. then i got ati.pet from tombh's post and installed it. still no borders. finally i came across a website http://bgoglin.livejournal.com/11253.html which indicated which plugins need to be on. i don't know if that link really helped because of all the previous tinkering i had done previuosly to the system, but it was the last thing i did before compiz finally started working. unfortunately i have a terrible memory and feel like i have tried so many different things that i don't think i can recall all the steps i took exactly. i hope this helps someone.

topjohn

i forgot to mention...

#79 Post by topjohn »

forgot to mention that i also tried to create ati.pet but couldn't. luckily tom"the bomb"bh hooked it up with a downloadable ati.pet file in his last post. thanks again!

Volsung

#80 Post by Volsung »

Not sure what happened but i was booting up my laptop (which has an ATI card, not the intel card I mentioned earlier and also have had previously no trouble using compiz on) and when x finally started (after having to run xorgwizard and compizwizard 4-5 times), all the colors were messed up on the screen like colored static almost (hard to describe). I tried booting up with XFCE, then reverted to xvesa and it wouldn't even load X.

My solution was not to actually fix the problem, but work around it by blowing away my pup_save file. Don't know what caused it, but I thought you should know.