NOP (Nearly Office Pup) 3.01 final available for download

News, happenings
Henry

#61 Post by Henry »

This looks like very good news, Gray. I am especially looking forward to replacing grafburn and upgrading pfind.

I neglected to do the pfix-ram thing before upgrading, so had to overwrite the existing 301.sfs and 301.zdrv in /home/ with those from r2. I see I have Pfind 3.2 now, but have to check through the rest yet.

It looks like everything new is there now, at least the files. I see the files for pburn, but it doesn't appear in the menu, and I can't run it from /usr/bin/pburn. So I simply downloaded and installed pburn-0.4.pet. Now it works and appears in the menu.

Thanks for a great job.
Last edited by Henry on Sat 15 Dec 2007, 00:14, edited 2 times in total.

GrantsV

#62 Post by GrantsV »

I've been trying to build the perfect Pup, but after seeing NOP my efforts were in vain!

One major issue still remains. Bytecode Interpreter for XFCE non-aliased fonts:
http://support.zenwalk.org/index.php?PH ... opic=132.0

In JWM and IceWM someone had the following instructions, but sadly they dont work for XFCE:

Go to http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=4437
and scroll down about 2/3 of the way; download the BCI-hinting enabled version of libfreetype,
libfreetype.so.6.3.10.tar.gz
to your scratch directory; left-click to start XArchiver and this will unpack it. Copy libfreetype.so.6.3.10 to /usr/lib and then open an rxvt terminal window and issue the commands:
Code:
cd /usr/lib
ln -fs libfreetype.so.6.3.10 libfreetype.so.6
ln -fs libfreetype.so.6.3.10 libfreetype.so

setecio

Re: Xfce panel

#63 Post by setecio »

:shock: :shock: :shock: :D :D :D :D :D

Streaming BBC video just works. Excellent. It's been a problem with all the other puppies I have tried and I was just about to look at trying to get it to work, but it just works in this version :D :D :D :D
Excellent. Do you know if this is a result of something you have encorporated in NOP3.01r1 ? It plays using the gxine player and I'm wondering if you have added certain codecs or addons, or if it already work in standard Puppy 3.01 ?

Running frugal NOP on a 365Mhz PII 224MB 7 year old laptop and it is surprisingly fast.
gray wrote:Setecio, it is really easy to add applications to the panels :D .
How do I add items to the left side menu that pops up from the 'start' button?

How do I add icons to the desktop itself ?

Thanks.

gray

Fonts & Gxine

#64 Post by gray »

GrantsV : I dont know anything about fonts etc but I played around with the freetype libs based on the info on the links you provided. I am beginning to think that the function may be already enabled in Xfce4. My fonts are very clear and if you look in the Settings Manager, User Interface pop up you will see font configuration options. Switching hinting off makes a huge difference :shock: .

Setecio : The ability to tune in BBC is in standard 301, but I think gxine behaves better running in Xfce rather than JWM. It is still a bit flakey, but I can view DVD's full screen smoothly, with no lines etc. I think that is a result of the nvidia opengl driver though :D

To add icons to the desktop, right click on an existing desktop icon to get a menu. Then select the item at the bottom, ie Desktop then Create Launcher. Fill in the details similar to the panel app launcher.

Adding items to the start menu requires you to add a file in the /usr/share/applications folder (named something.desktop). It can take a few minutes for the new item to appear in the menu though.

klu9

Metalink for NOP r2

#65 Post by klu9 »

klu9

#66 Post by klu9 »

i'm sure this has been discussed before but my search technique is proving fruitless.

How can I add an icon for a folder to the desktop? Or make a bookmark in Thunar to a folder?

I clicked on an existing desktop icon and selected creat new launcher, but it won't let me choose a folder.

And in Thunar there doesn't seem to exist an option to bookmark certain locations and the Thunar FAQ & documentation doesn't mention anything about.

Henry

#67 Post by Henry »

To make adesktop icon for a folder -
Right click on folder in file manager; send to desktop.

To make a bookmark in file manager -
Right click on folder in file manager; send to side panel.

(Be sure to have view, sidepanel, shortcuts checked.)

Sage

#68 Post by Sage »

Found a few minutes to (full) install the latest revision and was surprised to see error message 'No CD present'. Had to mount CD and retry. Don't think this occurred previously?

klu9

#69 Post by klu9 »

@henry: thanks

@gray: opera keeps crashing on me... it just disappears, no error dialogs or anything. weird.

@everyone: NOP 301 r2 now available via bittorrent!
Download NOP 301 r2 with Bittorrent via LinuxTracker

setecio

#70 Post by setecio »

NOP3.01r1 on a compaq m700. The screen goes black after 2.5 minutes if nothing is done, moving the mouse makes it reappear. This is too short if reading something. I've looked in the BIOS but see nothing refering to this.

Is this adjustable in NOP somewhere ..... is it a screensaver set to 2.5 minutes, if so where can I change it to 10 minutes .... or is it a power management setting. I've looked around but can't find anywhere to change it ..... any ideas ? Thanks.

Henry

Pburn

#71 Post by Henry »

Gray,

I have been having problems with the latest (and earlier) Pburn in Nop 301 r2 and discussing them with Zigbert in
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 168#162168

That string details my problems. Are there any Nop specific considerations that would cause these problems? Can you suggest a different simple data burner. (Barry's iso burner is fine and of course is already in Nop and used by Pburn. I put it into the menu separately.)

Thanks

gray

NOP issues

#72 Post by gray »

klu9: Opera 9.24 has been working without problems for me, but I notice that opera 9.25 is now available - very shortly after 9.24. Perhaps there are some issues with 9.24 :?:

setecio: If you enter the command gxset in the terminal and select the screen saver tab in the gui you should be able to change the settings you want. Odd though, cos the default timeout is 600 seconds :?

Henry: I guess I was a bit premature including Pburn - but it looked so good and worked well with the small files I tried to burn. Try grafburn instead. I hope Pburn can evolve into a usable burner app as Puppy badly needs one.

setecio

Re: NOP issues

#73 Post by setecio »

I've just discovered that it is only a problem while on battery and the battery is a new one. It doesn't happen on mains

gray wrote:setecio: If you enter the command gxset in the terminal and select the screen saver tab in the gui you should be able to change the settings you want. Odd though, cos the default timeout is 600 seconds :?
OK, I tried all that and it didn't change anything, I disabled screensaver and applied. However I don't know how to save .xset.sh. I was going to replace the original but searching for it did not find it so it doesn't originally exist :? So I saved it to the root folder it suggested but the settings in gxset were not reset back to their original values on reboot. But even before reboot, after applying it, it had no effect. The screen just blanksout after 2.5 minutes, doing anything instantly restores it with no delay in it appearing again.

Maybe if I can get gxset to remember my settings on reboot it might work ? :?:

If not ...... >
:? I found an article about debian etch on the same laptop
http://users.utu.fi/sjsepp/linuxcompaqa ... s_settings
which wrote:
Blanking the screen in xorg

I ran into various problems when using Xscreensaver to blank the screen. Therefore I decided to set display's blanking timeout values directly in xorg.conf. It is possible to control timeouts via "laptop-mode" also, which might be easier. I suppose that if a user uses Xscreensaver and sets his or hers own timeout values they will override the values in xorg.conf. I've found out that the display driver for this laptop supports only the "Standby" mode. The display does not resume correctly from "Suspend" or "Off" modes, and only cure I've found is restarting the Xserver.

To set display timeouts open your /etc/X11/xorg.conf or /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 and add the timeout values to the "ServerLayout" section. Below is the relevant section from my xorg.conf:
Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Default Layout"
Screen "Default Screen"
InputDevice "Generic Keyboard"
InputDevice "Trackpoint"
InputDevice "Serial mouse"
# Timeout in minutes
Option "StandbyTime" "5"
Option "SuspendTime" "0"
Option "OffTime" "0"
EndSection
Would this work in NOP somehow ? I'm not sure where or what to put into xorg.conf since there is very little in it and there is no 'ServerLayout' section

It only does this on battery and the battery is a new one.

setecio

#74 Post by setecio »

I've solved the battery problem ..... it was a compaq bios issue. I couldn't find any settings to access as they are done via compaq addon software to windows. So I update and reset to default values, and that cured the screen blanking. :D

mmm ... However after doing this, my battery monitor just show 50%% all the time (yes two %%) and doesn't change. It was working perfectly before my Bios changes and is clearly related to the bios update/reset but can you think of anything which might have changed that would need an adjustment in NOP to make it work ?

Thanks.

gray

NOP 301 r3

#75 Post by gray »

I have updated NOP 301 to revision 3.
This updates pburn to v0.6 and Opera to v9.25.
Have also replaced the troublesome gxine with xine-ui mediaplayer.
Xine-ui is apparently going to be in the puppy 4 release and so I thought I would give it a try and found it to be much better than gxine!
Also added a small script to play all music files in a folder using xine (just right click on a music file and select the "play all" option).

Download from http://www.puppylinux.ca/NOP
kindly hosted by Caneri

Note: The xineplugin for Opera will show realmedia movies such as those on the BBC website. Sometimes they get "stuck" in which case clicking on the preferences option, then OK usually gets it moving. If that fails then clicking on the "Launch in Standalone player" generally works. The plugin seems to have problems with realaudio files such as internet radio, but if you set Opera to launch xine directly for this media then they play OK. Easiest way to do that is select a broadcast on the BBC radio site and in the pop up select launch in standalone player. In the gui select open with other app and enter xine -H.

Last edited by gray on Mon 24 Dec 2007, 10:26, edited 2 times in total.

Henry

Menu editor? Burner?

#76 Post by Henry »

Gray,

Many thanks for r3. But the menu editor seems to have got lost?

I think using Pburn is still premature. I tried burning a 512Mb CD again, and it not only failed with the insufficient memory error message but pmount/mut would no longer work until rebooted. Looks like Grafburn is preferable. Mark Ulrich uses it in his great new Muppy, and I guess he has a reason.

In fact I have just now installed Grafburn v.1.1 and set up the burn-in and burn-out folders in home, outside the config file. Anyway, it works.

Now if I had the menu editor I could remove Pburn. ;-)

Henry

gray

Pburn

#77 Post by gray »

Darn it :oops: . I used Pburn 0.6 to produce a nearly full music CD and it worked fine for me, so I thought it was fixed and included it in NOP (again). Do you try to burn on the fly or using temp storage? If the latter you need to change from the default to somewhere with enough space on your hard disk. If the former you probably need plenty of RAM :( .

Regarding the menueditor, I never used it so to try and save space it was removed. The way to add menu items is to produce a .desktop file in /usr/bin/applications.

klu9

#78 Post by klu9 »

@gray re opera crashing

I've noticed the exact same problem with Opera 9.24 in Freespire, and I think it only happens when using Opera as a BitTorrent client. (EDIT: It doesn't happen using 9.24 in Windows as a BT client)

I've looked at the changelog for 9.25 and BitTorrent isn't mentioned. (of course the version I'm really looking forward to in NOP is 9.5: the online bookmark syncing is a match made in heaven for a "use-anywhere" LiveCD.)

and supposedly 9.5 has improvements to their bittorrent implementation too, altho I don't if that would solve my crashing problems. For the moment I'm using Pupctorrent in NOP & Azureus in Freespire.

Henry

#79 Post by Henry »

Thanks, Gray,

Sorry, my mistake!. I finally figured out how to set up the temporary file. Equivalently the same as in Grafburn but different instructions.

Back to Pburn. Apologies to Zigbert. Editing my earlier note.

By the way, I'm sure you meant /usr/share/applications ;-)

azieser

Now Seeding R3

#80 Post by azieser »

I have added a torrent to Linux Tracker for R3 in a zip file that includes the ISO and MD5 Sum. Hope that this helps, I will continue to seed for at least a week.