Network wizard Beta version for testers

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
tempestuous

#61 Post by tempestuous »

Mmm. I still think you need to try wpa_supplicant manually. Here are the commands for your Broadcom device -

rm /var/run/wpa_supplicant/*
wpa_supplicant -i eth0 -D wext -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf -dd

Now wait patiently to see if a connection is successfully established. You should see something like "EAPOL: startWhen --> 0"
Or failure usually means very obvious error messages.

eth0 is your network interface, I believe that the bcm43xx driver creates interface names starting with eth. Of course, if you already have a LAN interface set up, then the wifi interface will be "eth1".

shockwave

#62 Post by shockwave »

sorry. i meant neither will start... i don't know if that has anything to do with it though

shockwave

#63 Post by shockwave »

i put in the code you gave me and it seems to still be trying, but I am getting...along with a ton of other code.

RTM_Newlink:Operstate=0 ifi_flags=0x1003 ([UP])
wireless event:cmd=0x8c02 len=64
WEXT: Custom wireless event: 'associating failed because no suitable network was found

shockwave

#64 Post by shockwave »

Oh and it says:

EAPOL: External notification - portControl=Auto

tempestuous

#65 Post by tempestuous »

What about the eth0/eth1 situation?
I suggest you run "iwconfig" to confirm which interface name is identified as the wifi interface ... then obviously use that interface name in the wpa_supplicant command.

EDIT: and open /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf in geany, to check that the details are all correct, especially "ssid=" and "psk="

shockwave

#66 Post by shockwave »

It comes up eth0 which is what I ran
any suggestions? when I reloaded I didn't load all the other modprobe crypt files should i reload those and then retry, or do you have an idea, what my problem is.

when I scan with the wizard i can see the connection and see that is is encrypted

shockwave

#67 Post by shockwave »

I did notice that the "encryption key" is set to off if that matters. I went ahead and reprobed all the cryptions

jopo

#68 Post by jopo »

I just wanted to tell you that I got my wireless network up and running using WPA with no problems at all. The net network wizard worked very well!

I am a first time Linux user so this just proves that the wizard is easy to use. :-)

I am using a NETGEAR WG511t PC-card and a NETGEAR WGT624 router.

Thanks for your help and great work!

//Jopo

tempestuous

#69 Post by tempestuous »

shockwave wrote:when I reloaded I didn't load all the other modprobe crypt files should i reload those and then retry
No. As long as they successfully loaded the first time, they have been "fetched" into the /lib/modules directory and should automatically load in the future.

The only other thing I can think of is to pre-convert your passphrase to hex digits like this -

wpa_passphrase "MY_SSID" "my secret passphrase"

Enter the resultant hex key into /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf after "psk="

shockwave

#70 Post by shockwave »

temptestuous,

the first time i didn't set my ssid or password, but now that I have done this I am getting

EAPOL: SUPP_PAE entering state DISCONECTED
EAPOL: KEY_RX entering state NO_KEY_RECEIVE
EAPOL: SUPP_BE entering state INITIALIZE
EAP: EAP entering state DISABLED
EAPOL: External notification - portEnabled=0
EAPOL: External notification - portValid=0
ioct1[SIOCSIWPMKSA]: No such device
ioct1[SIOCSIWMODE] No such device

the list is much longer, but I don't know how to copy the whole thing.when i right click nothing happens. is there a way to paste and copy in rxvt?

tempestuous

#71 Post by tempestuous »

Before each attempt to run wpa_supplicant, don't forget to run this command -

rm /var/run/wpa_supplicant/*

Must sleep now.

rarsa

#72 Post by rarsa »

Mike6348 wrote:Tried -5 wizard. Connected first time.
Saved configurations but will not reconnect automatically on reboot. I have to restart the wizard and select the saved profile to connect.
I am booting from the CD with the session saved on the hard drive.
Using 2.13
Thinkpad 600
128M ram
Belkin 54g ver5
Atheros (madwifi)
Here are a few things I'd like you to test:

1. Are you using the most recent version of the rc.network file? you will find it here:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=15125

2. Please post the output of the following commands (replace <interface> with the actual name of the interface you are trying to use, e.g. ath0):

Code: Select all

cat /etc/<interface>wireless
cat /etc/<interface>mode
[url]http://rarsa.blogspot.com[/url] Covering my eclectic thoughts
[url]http://www.kwlug.org/blog/48[/url] Covering my Linux How-to

rarsa

#73 Post by rarsa »

shockwave wrote:This is the message i get

/etc/networkusermodules:no such file or directory
killall: wpa_supplicant: No process killed
How can I create these files if I am missing them. I have my info saving to the USB, but i have to reinstall the drivers to the card each time I boot doing the following.
You don't need to create those files, those messages are only usefull output for debugging processes but should not affect your connection. Here is what they tell me:

/etc/networkusermodules:no such file or directory : This tells me that you haven't loaded a module yourself, you are a module loaded automatically by Puppy. That file only gets created when you select to load a custom module or ndiswrapper.

killall: wpa_supplicant: No process killed : This tells me that wpa_supplicant wasn't running before.

Working through your problem it seems that I found a bug that may be causing your connection to fail. I've fixed it in version 2.14-7 of the wizard.

It was a bug difficult to track because it had nothing to do with the connections but with displaying the progress bar... Long story.

Please try the wizard version 2.14-7 or newer. It may have fixed your problem. If it does not, please execute the following command exaclty as provided and send me the resulting log.tar.gz file

net-setup.sh &> log.txt && tar -cvzf log.tar.gz log.txt
Regarding the loading of the firmware: Currently the wizard knows nothing about the firmwares, not should it. I think it should be responsibility of the modprobe script to load all what the driver needs.

Thank you for testing.

rarsa

#74 Post by rarsa »

Version 2.14-7 uploaded

Here are the changes
- Barry sent me a bugfix for properly showing modules which had - (dash) in their names
- Fixed a bug caused by the output redirection for debugging purposes.
- Removed dead code (code no longer used)
- Improved debugging output for WPA and the wizard in General

If you are having problems with the wizard run it from the console with the following command

net-setup.sh &> log.txt && tar -cvzf log.tar.gz log.txt
and send me the resulting log.tar.gz file.

shockwave

#75 Post by shockwave »

rarsa,

still no luck here. I dl the new version, but am still unable to connect. I tried to run the code as you mentioned, but I don't know where to find the log file to send to you. I am also noticing that i no longer get a readout in rxvt. the network wizard runs, but it doesn't tell me anything that is going on.

shockwave

#76 Post by shockwave »

I also thought i would mention that regardless of whether i hit basic or advanced options i get the same information

klhrevolutionist

#77 Post by klhrevolutionist »

It looks as if you spelled adapter wrong in the whole net-setup.html file.

You spelled it "addapter" correct way is "adapter"

Other than that I believe you did a great job !
Heaven is on the way, until then let's get the truth out!

tempestuous

#78 Post by tempestuous »

shockwave,
we are at the end of the line. Your wifi adaptor will not connect to your wifi router using WPA-PSK/TKIP under Linux. You can only troubleshoot further by using a different router, or different operating system, or both.

The Wizard only automates what we just tried manually from the commandline, so the Wizard cannot possibly do anything additional.

The good news is that the Wizard is not causing the problem.

shockwave

#79 Post by shockwave »

yeah, that's what i was wondering. thanks for all the help. i wanted to mention for the wizard that sometimes when i hit use this profile that it stops part was and says it found an active connection instead of trying to connect...it could just be cause of my setup though. i'll try to load it on this computer so i can keep testing

shockwave

#80 Post by shockwave »

Used the wizard on my other computer and no problem. I booted right up the first time. I do have a question though. when i put in the wireless settings and hit use profile it came back saying it found a live connection. I then hit the auto dhcp button, and i was able to log on. For the first time is that necessary with the wpa. if so it was a little confusing for me.