Tight VNC Server/Viewer (Now with GUI!)

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
kirk

#61 Post by kirk »

Wow! that works great. Thanks Rarsa.

rarsa

#62 Post by rarsa »

You're welcome.

I'm glad you find it usefull.

#63 Post by Guest »

Yes, but how does one start it up on bootup. I had to change permissions when I installed it. I tried adding 'exec /root/my-applications/bins/vncserver -display X11 -geometry 1024x768 -depth 16' in the /etc/rc.d/rc.local0 file, as well as the etc/rc.d/rc.local files. Tightvnc server will not start. Is says the password is not set. Any suggestions?

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#64 Post by GuestToo »

-display X11 -geometry 1024x768 implies that Tightvnc is an X app ... X is not running yet when rc.local(0) executes ... also, PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH are not setup for X apps either

you probably have to start Tightvnc after X starts ... probably in .xinitrc

#65 Post by Guest »

That's what I needed. Thanks

gliezl

#66 Post by gliezl »

I can't see my friends desktop. I mean, she has just opened mozilla yet I can't see what she's doing. It's like i'm viewing a different desktop or window? There should be an active application in used.
Is there any additional option used in vncserver? Thanks!

screenshot
Last edited by gliezl on Fri 06 Jan 2006, 04:57, edited 1 time in total.
[color=blue][i]"If you have knowledge, let others light their candles in it."
~Margaret Fuller[/i][/color]

rarsa

#67 Post by rarsa »

(try not downloading large images. John Murga is having problems with too much bandwidth)

OK,

the vncserver starts a secondary display. If she is working on the primary one, you won't be able to see it.

Somewhere else in this thread I explain how she can also connect to her secondary display so both can see the same thing. (she opens a vncviewer to localhost:1)

Some WM utilities allow sharing the primary. You can do that in KDE and I think also in Gnome. I don't know how to share it in JWM.

BTW. Nice to see you again.

gliezl

#68 Post by gliezl »

ok. i've edited my screenshot. will that do?

Thanks for answering. Atleast for enlightening me... :-D

quite busy these days... I see that Puppy 107 has been released! :-)
and with lots of improvements. :-D
[color=blue][i]"If you have knowledge, let others light their candles in it."
~Margaret Fuller[/i][/color]

Blank VNC screen?

#69 Post by Guest »

Ive managed to install the vncserver and get it to autostart, however when I connect to it from my windows machine I see nothing? Just the greyish background that comes up before x has finished loading properly.

Any ideas?

Re: Blank VNC screen?

#70 Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:Ive managed to install the vncserver and get it to autostart, however when I connect to it from my windows machine I see nothing? Just the greyish background that comes up before x has finished loading properly.

Any ideas?
Try going into the home directory in a console/terminal window and run:

mv .vnc/xstartup /vnc/xstartup.bak
ln -s .xinitrc .vnc/xstartup

restart the vncserver

Owl

Re: Blank VNC screen?

#71 Post by Owl »

Anonymous wrote:Ive managed to install the vncserver and get it to autostart, however when I connect to it from my windows machine I see nothing? Just the greyish background that comes up before x has finished loading properly.

Any ideas?
Hi,

I tried the solution above and it didn't work. However, there is (at least in my case) a very simple solution:
go to ~/.vnc/xstartup and make it executable.

This allows the server to execute the file. I did'nt like the fact that it starts jwm as default manager, so I changed it slightly to use icewm as windows manager.

Works like a charm !

Regards,
Owl.

Nevermore

#72 Post by Nevermore »

the problem with tightvnc is that doesn't support advanced stuff like enchryption key or file transfer, like ultravnc does..
i installed ultravnc on alot of machines and used a 128bit key, with tightvnc i can't even access them because of those limitations..
it would be really good if someone adds the key features to tight as well as the file transfer!
:evil:
--
/sbin/Nevermore

jmarsden

#73 Post by jmarsden »

Nevermore wrote:the problem with tightvnc is that doesn't support advanced stuff like enchryption key or file transfer, like ultravnc does..
i installed ultravnc on alot of machines and used a 128bit key, with tightvnc i can't even access them because of those limitations..
Limitations? You used non-standard features of one particular VNC variant, and then say "I can't access them because of those limitations"!! Surely, the "limitation" was caused by your choice to use those particular non-standard features.

Most people who need extra security around VNC wrap it in an SSH tunnel. SSH is well understood, a documented and standard protocol, is portable to many platforms, and the codebase has been subject to a lot of code review and audit. Can you say the same for the UltraVNC codebase and protocols? Oh... you can also use sftp or scp or even sshfs to do file transfers over the same SSH connection. This seems to remove both of your "limitations" much more portably than using UltraVNC does.
it would be really good if someone adds the key features to tight as well as the file transfer!
Go for it... let that someone be you! Make an ultravnc package for Puppy for both client and server... those who need the particular extra non-standard features ultraVNC offers will be thankful.

Jonathan

Georg

VNCSERVER STARTING AUTOMATICALLY

#74 Post by Georg »

just edit you /root/.xinitrc
and write at the end of file (i put it before exec $CURRENTTWM indeed)
vncserver

after reboot ( or maybe Xrestart)
you should have 1 display on 5901 available

cheers

Georg

#75 Post by Georg »

of course in the .xinitrc you can add parameters like
vncserver :1 -geometry 1024x768 -depth 24

rarsa

#76 Post by rarsa »

Finaly I got to it!

I've updated the vncserver package to fix the anoying bug of not setting the execute authority on the xstartup file.

I took the opportunity to add the .desktop file so it appears in the 109CE menu.
[url]http://rarsa.blogspot.com[/url] Covering my eclectic thoughts
[url]http://www.kwlug.org/blog/48[/url] Covering my Linux How-to

andre1

great pup rarsa

#77 Post by andre1 »

And thanks for posting how to make the thightvnc server auto start Georg.
Running it under puppy2 24may remotely on my windows pc right now :)

Just one thing! Where should I place that line if I want it to start on x restart also?

apex

#78 Post by apex »

Ive managed to install the vncserver and get it to autostart, however when I connect to it from my windows machine I see nothing? Just the greyish background that comes up before x has finished loading properly.
I'v have the same problem. What's the deel with this?

I have put 'vncserver' inside .xinitrc file before comand for starting window menager, and it's working, but i see only grey background from my win machine

SamSung

#79 Post by SamSung »

Hi Apex

I have had the same problem as you relate greyish background and an X for the mouse pointer. In the thread above it mentions making the file /root/.vnc/xstartup executable. This means find the file and right click on it left click on permissions and choose yes to except the default of making the file executable.

That worked for me, hope it does for you too.

Sam

can8v

#80 Post by can8v »

I installed and used this dot pup to connect to a Solaris server. I used server.name:50 to make this connection. The server was at California State University, Sacramento and didn't require a password as it opens to a Solaris login anyway. I accessed using the campus wifi, then later from home. The only issue I ran across was the scrolling issue I saw in a previous post. I can only scroll one time on a given axis (verticle or horizontal, once each); fortunately I am able to almost fit everything in the window, and if I scroll only a 0.5cm down I fit everything of any significance in the window. This worked with both the common desktop only as I don't have Java installed I was unable to test the Java desktop.
Great Job! Very well done.
-Jason