DebianDog - Jessie - Continued

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
fredx181

#61 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Belham,

Mmm.. very weird indeed.
First thing I think of when I read about such problems is that you might have a different/other 'live' folder on the other computers (from where it reads the changes maybe), but you say not having any HHD attached.
Are you sure there's no other live folder? (on other usb drive maybe)

I will try to reproduce tonight, in the meantime can you give more details about how you setup your frugal install (e.g. with unique name of parent folder of live /debdog/live or just /live) and changes= parameter (or did you boot using live-boot instead porteus-boot)
I your frugal setup for DD64 different?
Did you make a remaster or is it just the same main filesystem.squashfs from the ISO you use?

Fred

belham2

#62 Post by belham2 »

fredx181 wrote:Hi Belham,

Mmm.. very weird indeed.
First thing I think of when I read about such problems is that you might have a different/other 'live' folder on the other computers (from where it reads the changes maybe), but you say not having any HHD attached.
Are you sure there's no other live folder? (on other usb drive maybe)

I will try to reproduce tonight, in the meantime can you give more details about how you setup your frugal install (e.g. with unique name of parent folder of live /debdog/live or just /live) and changes= parameter (or did you boot using live-boot instead porteus-boot)
I your frugal setup for DD64 different?
Did you make a remaster or is it just the same main filesystem.squashfs from the ISO you use?

Fred

Fred,

Before you waste time, let me set up a new SD/USB card (I have lots of SD cards from family taking pics :D ) and see if DebianDog Jessie does it with a new install. Knowing me, I probably screwed something up on the first original install. I'll try this evening, and report back later tonight or tomorrow morning. It's Hallllooooowwwweeennnn :lol: :lol:

fredx181

#63 Post by fredx181 »

Ok, belham,

I think it would be good (if it appeared that you did something wrong making the frugal install) that you can inform us about what went wrong. Then we can learn from that.
Anyway if it's about 'interference' (detecting 'wrong' (not intended) live folder from somewhere) I'd recommend always to use an unique name for the parent folder of 'live' e.g. /debdog2/live or /debdog2-usb/live. See the (grub4dos) examples here:
https://github.com/DebianDog/Jessie/releases/tag/v2.1/
Not only for the path to changes, it can even be that you load 'filesystem.squashfs' from a frugal installed Debian Live (if /live on the root of a partition).

Fred

ARModer64

#64 Post by ARModer64 »

HI.. Just following your works for a while.. just wanna say thanks (the 1st reason why I registered)... Its very fast on my Acer AspireOne D257.. And fixed the issue of unaligned icons and freeze bug on this netbook on your last 2015 version... And I just wanna ask how to install mate DE on this debiandog or any other DE like LXDE or Gnome2..( since its pretty boring on XFCE :lol: ). And any other WI-Fi manager on this build? Its pretty annoying that frisbee doesn't connect somtimes at WPA2-PSK wifi.. :?

Anyway this are the specs of my pretty old netbook (D-D is fully Installed).. :P

Code: Select all

Acer Aspire One D257
:320GB Samsung SSD
:1GB RAM
:Intel Atom N570 CPU 1.66Ghz ~4CPU's
:Intel GMA 3150 GPU
Attachments
2016-10-28-184933_1024x600_scrot.png
185MB ram usage with firefox 2 tabs opened
(199.95 KiB) Downloaded 233 times

fredx181

#65 Post by fredx181 »

ARModer64 wrote:And I just wanna ask how to install mate DE on this debiandog
Anything that can be installed on Debian can be installed on DebianDog also, for Mate see here:
https://wiki.debian.org/Mate

So to install full Mate (300MB space will be used):

Code: Select all

apt-get update
apt-get install mate-desktop-environment-extras
If you need further help with configuring (e.g. startup applications etc..) just tell me.
I'd recommend to enable Slim display-manager (reboot required) to be able to choose a session (F1, choose MATE) Menu > System > Start/Stop Slim display-manager

Fred

mjaksen

#66 Post by mjaksen »

Thanks Dancytron. I built the driver and it's working fine. For those who need it, here is a build of the Broadcom wl driver for K3.16.0.4-pae.

broadcom-wl_6.30.223.271_i386-K3.16.0.4-pae-DebianDog.deb
https://www.datafilehost.com/d/253a6008

Marc

ARModer64

#67 Post by ARModer64 »

[EDIT]:
Do I Need to install DEV-X SFS Package to install mate?

[EDIT-2]
Nevermind my last question...I finally installed mate on the OS.. the problem is it looks like and old ancient artifacts... :D My point is I like it to be more Identical to Linux Mint (Since I like the structure of the linux mint).. Any Ideas?
Attachments
2016-10-29-074609_1024x600_scrot.png
My MATE Desktop (Ancient)
(150.53 KiB) Downloaded 237 times

fredx181

#68 Post by fredx181 »

ARModer64 wrote:I finally installed mate on the OS.. the problem is it looks like and old ancient artifacts... Very Happy My point is I like it to be more Identical to Linux Mint (Since I like the structure of the linux mint).. Any Ideas?
Don't know exactly about Mint, but isn't it just a matter of configuring the way you like?, e.g. install some (icon)themes (maybe set to a different font), experiment till you're satisfied.

Fred

backi

#69 Post by backi »

Hi ARModer64 !

Maybe think about what fredx proposed .
I dont see much sense in installing Mate ( more than 300 megs more load.) nothing (so i think ) which could not be accomplished with JWM or XFCE .......Mate is a heavy Truckload .......for what ?

ARModer64

XFCEMATE

#70 Post by ARModer64 »

heheh :D ,, thanks for your replies guys... I dont see any differences in mate and XFCE if it is experimented.. The thing that it will be identical to mate if I installed caja and change menu icon to mint..(I used whiskers menu).. :) ..
Puppy Linux User from Philippines!!!
"Know your Limitations and let me BREAK IT!"
CurrentOS: Debian Dog

backi

#71 Post by backi »

I think .......it `s sometime hard to get rid of old habits .

Diagnose :....A mild case of Neophobia ....... :D
My advice :Just cool down ......and sleep one night over it . ..
" The slow horse reaches the mill " :lol:

ARModer64

#72 Post by ARModer64 »

See my screenshot.. (I lowered its pic quality since it doesn't fit to the maximum upload size of the forum)
Attachments
2016-10-29-18032scrot.jpg
XFCE mate mode
(40.38 KiB) Downloaded 264 times

fredx181

#73 Post by fredx181 »

Nice pic! Which DE is it? Let me guess... should be MATE,... yes definitely it is! Oh...., no it's just XFCE :D

Seriously, just for info: in fact this DebianDog default WM setup is basically Openbox.
Just added xfce-desktop, xfce4-panel (and thunar) to it and start these at login from ~/.config/openbox/autostart.sh
The full XFCE DE takes more space (but really not as much as Mate) it includes more, e.g. the xfce-settings center, xfce-power-manager etc...

Fred

belham2

#74 Post by belham2 »

Hi Fred,

Just wanted to followup: put DDJessie 32bit on two completely wiped SD/USB drives, and no problems hopping between machines. I think maybe the SD card I had the original Jessie32 on must either be going bad, or it had something lingering on it that never got removed despite my formatting it. I do remember for that particular Jessie SD card that I had used it for DD-ing Fatdog setups, repeatedly, some months ago. I've always have problems with Fatdog setups as for some reason, as they boot incredibly slow (like 10 mins boot time) on my ~8 yr old AMD machines. Thus on the SD cards I am always having to Remaster my Fatdogs to get them to boot normally., and then DD-ing again, and so forth. Once Remastered, and booting reasonably, the Fatdogs are a good system too.

So all is good with the DebianDogs. My problem is trying to decide whether I like the DD64 or the DDJessie32. Honestly, I am leaning towards the new DDJessie32 as I seem to be grabbing it more.

ARModer64

#75 Post by ARModer64 »

fredx181 wrote:Nice pic! Which DE is it? Let me guess... should be MATE,... yes definitely it is! Oh...., no it's just XFCE :D

Seriously, just for info: in fact this DebianDog default WM setup is basically Openbox.
Just added xfce-desktop, xfce4-panel (and thunar) to it and start these at login from ~/.config/openbox/autostart.sh
The full XFCE DE takes more space (but really not as much as Mate) it includes more, e.g. the xfce-settings center, xfce-power-manager etc...

Fred
Thanks fred... :) Yeah I noticed that too.. :) But I knew that it may take more ram if I use XFWM in this setup than Openbox...

Anyway.. Can I experiment this ISO and then Remaster it so that I could create another Version or any New Applications and then new look? then post it here?? Promise.. I wont take any credits from you. Saintless and your other mates that created this OS.. :roll:

rufwoof

#76 Post by rufwoof »

ARModer64 wrote:any other WI-Fi manager on this build? Its pretty annoying that frisbee doesn't connect somtimes at WPA2-PSK wifi.. :?
I prefer swap out frisbee for WICD (installing WICD usually automatically uninstalls frisbee).

I find Devede (for dvd authoring) and K3b (for burning (devede automatically launches)) to be additional useful things to install. And Audacity (perhaps download youtubes as mp4 and then use audacity to covert to mp3 so I can copy the file(s) to a USB and use that in the car).

fredx181

#77 Post by fredx181 »

ARModer64 wrote:Can I experiment this ISO and then Remaster it so that I could create another Version or any New Applications and then new look? then post it here??
Yes, of course, feel free to share, that's what this forum is for.

Fred

belham2

Question on 'debsums'

#78 Post by belham2 »

Hi Rufwoof,

Rufwoof, I read your post in the Security "Mirai malware' thread, and I wanted to ask you something about installing the "debsums". I didn't want to post there, as the person who started that thread is really touchy if the topic---even if it is related---is not directly about Mirai (I m surprised you didn't get jumped all over too like a few of us did). Since it is Debian-related, thought others here would find it interesting. Here's the thread if anyone is wondering:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 617#930617

Anyhow, I installed the "debsums" this morning. As we all know, Debian always gives you 'recommended packages to install' when installing stuff, things that are not 'necessary' but are suggested. So here's the four add'l packs that are 'recommended' when installing debsums:

debian-keyring gcc c-compiler binutils

So I go to install these (one at a time) after debsums installed. Started with the debian-keyring---it is 50mb in size. Wow. Unfortunately I made the mistake of typing in the terminal "apt-get install debian-keyring' and didn't even get a chance to reject it, lol. I tried reading about i via Google search, but am still confused.....is this debian-keyring, you think, what allows for the checking of the debsums (in other words, makes it more efficient and quicker)? Also, since Linux distros install 'keyrings' by default, how is not one already in a huge distro like Debian??? I was just taken aback by the size of the 'debian-keyring' alone. For now I chose not to install the other 3 add'l recommended packages.

Did you by chance install the 'debian-keyring" and/or any of the other three?

rufwoof

#79 Post by rufwoof »

Hi Belham2. I install debsums into a frugal session, run it, and then reboot without saving so it only uses space in that single session. Last time I didn't install the other recommended packages and it seems to have run through ok anyway without those. Of the files it did highlight as having been changed I could account for most of those being different (I've tweaked my system such as dropping certain programs into different menus by manually modifying .desktop files). One change I couldn't really associate to something I had changed, but when I looked through it it looked ok to me.

Same for rootkit scans. I don't leave that installed as conceptually a attacker could breach a system and change the program so it doesn't reveal the breach. Better to install (download) freshly and run that, and not save the session IMO.

I don't compile things, I just use the repositories, debian-keyrings is for developers to record their stuff. If I did have gcc ...etc (compiler) stuff installed permanently then debian-keyrings would also best be installed as well.

mcewanw

#80 Post by mcewanw »

Hello guys,

No, I'm not back. I just popped in to say hello. I haven't tried this new DebianDog yet, but looks interesting and I will try it sometime. Still using XenialDog as my main OS.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers,

William
github mcewanw