Rudy edition

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
debernardis

#61 Post by debernardis »

Here is the 070227 version, based on Puppy Linux 2.14. Download it from http://www.debernardis.it/rudypuppy070227.iso
[md5 57b570d455e7c7e1ef38811a1fdd809a ]

I am an untidy guy, and I'm absolutely uncapable of keeping a log of my work, so you better discover the changes by yourself :-)
Some major points:
1) The xdg menu system has been embedded into the previous menu tree, which I preferred, as "Add-ons". After you install a dotpet (and run fixmenus if needed) you should find your newly installed program there. Then, if you want, you can edit the jwm or icewm menu templates (control panel /menu configurations) to include your new program right in the place you prefer.
2) Both jwm and icewm are included. Start the one you like by exiting to command line and issuing "xwin jwm" or "xwin starticewm".
3) There is also firefox 2.0.0.2 plus flash 9 which seems to work (or, maybe, seems not to crash too often).
4) This is the "Merci Fabrice" edition! Merci to Fabrice because he personally allowed me to include kqemu, just a few days before licensing it with a GPL. So, we have now qemu, kqemu and jqemu (a java gui frontend to qemu). Enjoy them...
5) I throwed basic kde by mu and used an even leaner kde environment by Billcnz , to include k3b and k9copy. Now no kicker runs in the background, and the whole is less kludgy.
6) there are some additional fine packages by our developers, including 3dcc, xaos, acrobat 5 (small and quick), frostwire instead of limewire (because it's free), additional wifi firmware drivers, new audio controls and battery monitor on jwm tray.

Comments are welcome :-)

Fishy

#62 Post by Fishy »

Hi Rudy, thanks for the update to your pup. :D I have been using your version most of the time and am now having some problems with Firefox shutting down unexpectedly :evil: . Most of the time it is when trying to back up one page or clicking on a link.

I have looked in the bug section and the problem it is not new but there doesn't seem to be specific remedy. Any ideas? I have thought about a complete removal and installation. Or download Opera :lol:

debernardis

#63 Post by debernardis »

This might be the effect of my temerarious inclusion of Flash 9 which is known to destabilize web browsers on linux. It is quite stable on the machines I could test it on, but this might not be the case on other ones
If it is evident that firefox crashes too much, I could make a revised iso reverting to flash 7.
You can also do it by yourself, because the flash9 dotpup was made thoroughly by its developer, and the old flash 7 files are in
/usr/lib/seamonkey-1.0.6/plugins/flashplayer.xpt-7backup
/usr/lib/seamonkey-1.0.6/plugins/libflashplayer.so-7backup
You could rename them by deleting the -7backup suffix and putting them in /usr/local/firefox/plugins as well as /usr/lib/seamonkey-1.0.6/plugins and possibly /root/.mozilla/plugins/flashplayer.xpt.

Just let me know.

veronicathecow

#64 Post by veronicathecow »

Hi debernardis, I was wondering (Okay actually I was hoping 8-) you might make a Rudy based on 2.15? Many thanks. Tony

debernardis

#65 Post by debernardis »

:) @veronicathecow: hello :D I don't think I am going to work on 2.15 which, being a community edition, has the "right" to stay "as is", as a collaborative effort, maybe as a photo shot of what is felt to be needed, at present, for an all-purpose minidistro by its most active devs.
Instead, I planned to work on 2.16... I was looking at the latest beta from BarryK, and taking the time to imagine something better than the my "throw-in-all" approach. Maybe the sfs loader could be a solution, even if I don't know how to distribute rudy's apps between the main filesystem and the allowed squashfile(s).
I use mainly openoffice, internet browsing and some statistical graphs so perhaps those should be loaded by default. But being able to choose would be better.
I also wanted to make a basic edition of rudy in Italian, but for now I have few time and energies... "ogni collaborazione sara' gradita!"

But...out of curiosity: is rudy being useful to you, and why? I mean, which parts of it proved good, if any? thanks

pdrito

#66 Post by pdrito »

debernardis wrote::)
But...out of curiosity: is rudy being useful to you, and why? I mean, which parts of it proved good, if any? thanks
debernardis,
Many thanks for your interest to help peoples of this community.
I wonder if it is possible for you to make a .pet for the K3b (CD-DVD records program) that rudy edition includes.
I have been looking for that in months and till now without lucky.

Many thanks again.

veronicathecow

#67 Post by veronicathecow »

Hi debernardis, the whole thing has been useful 8-) K3B is a great example (The only CD/DVD writer that works reliably, Office, Firefox etc and all the little bugs like menu problems ironed out, nice clean layout. Basically you set up the machine like I would have done (Only better). Industry standard apps (not to worried about size, more interested in functionality) With carpel tunnel and detached retinas I can't spend too much time at the PC so yours is a great Puppy to have. Thanks again.
Tony

debernardis

#68 Post by debernardis »

@pdrito: I am definitely going to do that, even though I am not sure it is going to be a .pet because I am not proficient yet in the art of pet making 8) It's going to be a .tar.gz archive, most likely, directly extracted from the work of Billcnz which is the original author of a nice opera-k3b puplet.

@veronicathecow: thanks. Since I have been doing those rudypuppies, I have asked myself if it was an useful thing or a waste of time, I mean they are good to me and I use them day by day, but I was not sure that publishing them wasn't a classical example of wasted bandwidth, wasted time, including a healthy dose of hubris. Puppy is a very efficient, good-looking, complete distro, and I feared of spoil it with all that stuff. OK it seems I can go on.
Sorry for your health problems, I hope that the waggling tail of a puppy can help you smile :wink:

cherriepuppy

#69 Post by cherriepuppy »

Hi debernardis

I would like to agree with veronicathecow. i have only just tried rudy in the past week having in the past kept up with barry's releases, but now i have found this release i intend to use it as my main system.

keep up the good work

cherriepuppy

happyhippo

#70 Post by happyhippo »

i m using your distro for a while.
little problems come on when using some of the package managers of puppy.
de want to remove a dotpup i have installed.

but i like the distro
i have the old on 2.13 i think and have seen here ther is a 2.14
going to download that on because the 2.15CE final has problems.
keep up the good work, do not use gimpshop (in my case i could not work with jpg files for some reason) and a normal calculator would be handy
include thunderbird mail,

but it is just fun working on a old machine that is faster than windows.

debernardis

Experimental k3b dotpet

#71 Post by debernardis »

I must admit I am a disaster at making dotpets. In particular, I have been unable to make it get dependencies automatically.
So, before you install, go get:
1) qt-3.3.6
2) cdrdao
from the puppy package manager.
If you want to make audio cd's from your mp3's, install also:
http://puppyfiles.org/dotpupsde/dotpups ... ib-1.4.pup

Last step, install the real thing: mini kde 3.5.4 plus k3b 0.12.16 (from Billcnz):
http://www.debernardis.it/dotpups/k3b_i ... .12.16.pet

Please let me know if it works in your hands. Also, please repack it with correct dependencies if you have time.

happyhippo

#72 Post by happyhippo »

i dit an install of the 2.14 of your rudy edition.
al went fine but now i have a blinking red 'None' free memory button .
maybe it has to do with the , i don't know what that means put the PMEDIA=idehd in a box.
what box?
this is just a hd install.
the other things you wrote i am gona try.
by the way excuse my bad englisch, i am dutch.

pdrito

K3b

#73 Post by pdrito »

debernardis,

SUCCESS with K3b !!!!!!

I follow your indications about the sequence on installation,
so I do the following:
1.- I starter with a clean Puppy 2.15 CE iso.
burn the iso on a clean CD in multisession with Burniso2cd
2.- Load the iso.
3.- Put the following on the fisrt boot:
qt-3.3.6.pet
cdrdao-1.2.1.pet
Taglib-1.4.pup
4.- Reboot, saving on the CD multisession.
5.- On the following boot-session, put first,
k3b_including_mini_kde_3.5.4_by_billcnz-0.12.16.pet
and then the rest of my normal software I use, like:
firefox
rar
bcrypt
MToolsFM
etc.
6.- Reboot again , saving to the CD multisession.
END.

Now, for the 1st time, I have K3b working on my Puppy 2.15 CE. :D

Thanks a lot debernardis. :D

NOTE:
When K3b_including....pet was installed, a normal pop up windows open and a message indicating that a lot of dependencies libraries are missing:
libcups.so
libcups.so.2
libqtm.cop.so.1
libsoundserver_idll.so.2
etc , etc

nevertheless, the k3b software opens and works normaly.
It is a fault of something ?
It is normal ?
Should be worry ?

debernardis

Re: K3b

#74 Post by debernardis »

pdrito wrote: When K3b_including....pet was installed, a normal pop up windows open and a message indicating that a lot of dependencies libraries are missing.
nevertheless, the k3b software opens and works normaly.
It is a fault of something ?
It is normal ?
Should be worry ?
I don't think there's anything to worry about, given that k3b seems to work. K3b is a kde application, and in order to work an essential kde environment has to be included. Obviously, it has been stripped (and even so, it's more than 20 megs), hence there are a lot of unmet dependences. But they don't seem to be necessary for k3b to burn.

Sit Heel Speak

#75 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

happyhippo wrote:i did an install of the 2.14 of your rudy edition.
al went fine but now i have a blinking red 'None' free memory button...
The base install occupies 492MB, so if you use the 256MB computer which you describe elsewhere, then there might be problems. This is not a lean, mean Puppy...I would try a 256MB swap partition if I had your computer.

@Ernesto: Nice work. K3B, Firefox, and full Open Office...DOSBox and the SFS editor...sweet.

I look forward to an aufs version which will accept more than five .sfs files and which includes Open Office 2.20 or higher.

Have you had the courage to try the "Wipe your swapfile" utility?

Grazie signor,
SHS

debernardis

#76 Post by debernardis »

Sit Heel Speak wrote:Have you had the courage to try the "Wipe your swapfile" utility?
Eheheh yes I did with no collateral damage. That utility comes from a time I was much more paranoid at work 8) now after my last brain surgery I am a lot quieter :shock:

happyhippo

#77 Post by happyhippo »

Sit Heel Speak wrote:
happyhippo wrote:i did an install of the 2.14 of your rudy edition.
al went fine but now i have a blinking red 'None' free memory button...
The base install occupies 492MB, so if you use the 256MB computer which you describe elsewhere, then there might be problems. This is not a lean, mean Puppy...I would try a 256MB swap partition if I had your computer.
i have a 506MB mounted swap partition. :shock:

debernardis

#78 Post by debernardis »

Might be you should enlarge your personal storage file? Menu "utilities", last item. Good luck & let me know.

happyhippo

#79 Post by happyhippo »

that program gives that there is no personal storage file.

the old version did not have this problem.
the new version was a update over this old harddisk install where 3 files where copied.
the partition at itself is about 6GiG

Sit Heel Speak

#80 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

I'm running Rudy-2.14 from a live-DVD with a 512MB (new, not update) savefile and 512MB swap partition, on a P3-1GHz machine with 1GB of RAM. It is a bit slow to start apps, but this is not surprising considering its huge size.

Also, I haven't figured out where it puts the menu entry for (PetGet-obtained) eSvn, or where I need to put my proxy info, in order for the eSvn subversion browser to work. I have entries in /etc/profile for http and ftp proxy but it seems eSvn needs a proxy IP notification-entry elsewhere. Even so, Rudy Puppy is quite an achievement.