More Puppeee backgrounds...
Attachments
puppeee_bg.jpg
(21.74 KiB) Downloaded 1416 times
puppeee_bg.zip
(78.55 KiB) Downloaded 479 times

magerlab

#587 Post by magerlab »

yes support for that modem is highly needed!!!!!!
i haven't yet tried it but it must work with normal puppy

in Russia those modems are now widely used and internet becomes cheaper

jemimah

#588 Post by jemimah »

afgs, Those are sweet! Thanks!

I think I found the problem that makes the modem mode switching not work. I will update the kernel and hopefully release a new version by next week.

01micko

#589 Post by 01micko »

Hi

I tried 3 modems in BoxPuppeee with different carriers, a Huawei E169 on VirginBroadband (which I've had over a year), a Huawei E160 on Dodo and a Huawei E160X on VirginBroadband all connected with no fuss :) , I'm just wondering if the Option driver is working correctly with neurino's E1550 or there is something different in Puppeee to BoxPuppeee.

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

jemimah

#590 Post by jemimah »

The kernel for Boxpupeee is the same, but apparently some modems need a little more voodoo than others to make them work. I discovered that /proc/bus/usb is not mounted on Puppeee by default; that may cause the mode switcher to be confused. This is all new to me since my Sierra modem just works with no mode switching mumbo jumbo.

jemimah

#591 Post by jemimah »

Hey afgs, can you make those wallpapers a bit larger? They look a little grainy when stretched on an external monitor.

Thanks again for making the logo!

neurino

#592 Post by neurino »

Thanks for support with my dongle!

Also afgs made me think I didn't post a small size JPG: I added it to the post in the precedent page (90KB)

werwinn

#593 Post by werwinn »

Hi,
jemimah, and group. A thank you and a happy new year! I am a NOOB to linux, started
102309. This is the first distro that just works right out of the box.

Thanks again............werwinn

PS: 1000ha bought this May

neurino

#594 Post by neurino »

Happy new year!

I'm posting using puppeee and my Huawey e1550 so I managed to meke it work even if I had to make some attempts before success. (see topic)

I noticed, looking running processes both in standard Puppy 431 and pupeeee (using Pprocess) that puppeee runs

Code: Select all

wvdial isp1
(presumably ignoring APN thats stored in wvdial.conf under isp1apn)
while Standard Puppy calls

Code: Select all

wvdial isp1 isp1apn wireless
Why this difference I don't know but maybe that's why I had to make 2/3 tryouts before getting connected?

jemimah

#595 Post by jemimah »

Weird, I'd recommend downloading gnome-ppp from the repository. That's what I use.

jemimah

#596 Post by jemimah »

Werwinn welcome!

neurino

#597 Post by neurino »

jemimah wrote:Weird, I'd recommend downloading gnome-ppp from the repository. That's what I use.
Thanks for the tip, it's very handy!

jemimah

#598 Post by jemimah »

Another tip: gnome-ppp lets you specify alternate dns servers. I sometimes get a lot better performance on my sprint modem using google servers 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. I think those are for the US only though, you might see about open dns servers for your location.

jemimah

#599 Post by jemimah »

We found a problem with the microphone not working on some Eeepc models on the 2.6.31.5 kernel. I've upgraded alsa to 1.0.22 and that fixes it. So if your mic doesn't work, it should in beta 3.2. Also I'll include the new Retrovol mixer from Pizzasgood, which is about a 100 times better than zmixer.

neurino

#600 Post by neurino »

Can't wait for beta 3_2 for my internal SSD to replace beta 2_5 and have my dongle working on the fly! 8)

sc0ttman

Remaster problems

#601 Post by sc0ttman »

Is anyone else having the problem below....?

I can't use the 'Remaster Puppy live-CD' tool, in the 'Setup' menu..
I choose the working directory but then get an Xdialog usage screen..

Has anyone else had this on Puppeee 431 or know a solution?
Thanks.
[b][url=https://bit.ly/2KjtxoD]Pkg[/url], [url=https://bit.ly/2U6dzxV]mdsh[/url], [url=https://bit.ly/2G49OE8]Woofy[/url], [url=http://goo.gl/bzBU1]Akita[/url], [url=http://goo.gl/SO5ug]VLC-GTK[/url], [url=https://tiny.cc/c2hnfz]Search[/url][/b]

userperson

#602 Post by userperson »

Puppy 4.31
Asus Eee 901

Made a bootable USB drive to try it out and liked it a lot. Much faster than the stock Linux it came with. Decided to install Puppy permanently.

Everything went OK (with some trial and error) until the very end where I ran in to two problems I could not solve.

1) It says to write the contents of /tmp/NEWGRUBTEXT into /boot/menu.1st.

I can't find /boot/menu.1st. I did a search and it found nothing called /boot. I can see the list of other directories -- I am somewhat used to Linux having run it since RedHat 5.2. Apparently /boot is in a different partition? If so how do I get the editor to open it? Or am I supposed to create a new file /boot in among the other files listed?

Please tell me exactly how to get to /boot so I can create this file.

2) I also did not know what to choose when it asked where to put GRUB: in one of the partitions or in the MBR. Please tell me which I should select.
I don't care if I can't use the old Linux my Eee came with -- it's obsolete.

I ended up with the whole Eee not booting at all and I had to reinstall the original OS from the original (2 year old) disk, so I know I did something seriously wrong with GRUB or with /boot.

Thanks for any help.

prehistoric

permanently installing Puppeee 4.3.1

#603 Post by prehistoric »

userperson wrote:Puppy 4.31
Asus Eee 901
First question, are you aware that Puppy 4.31 is not Puppeee 4.31? I've installed the stock Puppy 4.3.1 on a 900A, so I know it is possible, just harder. By all means use Puppeee on an Eee PC if you can.
Everything went OK (with some trial and error) until the very end where I ran in to two problems I could not solve.

1) It says to write the contents of /tmp/NEWGRUBTEXT into /boot/menu.1st.

I can't find /boot/menu.1st. I did a search and it found nothing called /boot. I can see the list of other directories -- I am somewhat used to Linux having run it since RedHat 5.2. Apparently /boot is in a different partition? If so how do I get the editor to open it? Or am I supposed to create a new file /boot in among the other files listed?

Please tell me exactly how to get to /boot so I can create this file.
If, as it seems, you are using a 901 with a Xandros system installed to an internal SSD, you should be able to find /boot and /boot/grub/menu.lst already installed to those partitions. Once you find it you will have to do some editing.

Your problem is likely due to the fact that Puppy (Puppeee) runs entirely in RAM and does not mount disk partitions by default. Your search was confined to the mounted file system which is in volatile RAM. This design allows you to run from removable media without altering your previous system in any way. (I typically boot the systems I'm testing on an Eee PC off an SD card in the built-in reader. Since Puppeee 4.31 is still billed as a beta release, this is prudent. All you need do to boot off this is change the order in which the BIOS accesses the "hard drives" to put the card in the flash reader ahead of the internal drive. When I pop out the SD card, the BIOS can't find that drive, and boots normally off the internal SSD or hard drive.)

If you had mounted those partitions by clicking on the drive icon, you should have seen the /boot directory on one of them. You can certainly install Puppeee to a bare machine by using Gparted to repartition and format the internal drive, once you get it running on that machine. You also need to install Grub as a separate operation. This should create a /boot directory on a Linux partition. It sounds like you never really got Grub installed. When you are using one of the methods to run from a removable flash drive, you don't need to install Grub.

You may want to experiment with installing standard Puppy 4.3.1 on some old machine where nobody cares if you clobber something like Windows 98, and the internal drive is an ordinary ata hard drive before you try this on your new netbook. Every laptop has some peculiarities. We are still learning about differences between different models of Eee PC.
2) I also did not know what to choose when it asked where to put GRUB: in one of the partitions or in the MBR. Please tell me which I should select.
I don't care if I can't use the old Linux my Eee came with -- it's obsolete.
If you are wiping everything previous, you can certainly install to the MBR. I also have systems which are dual-booting Puppy 4.3.1 and XP without problems after I installed Grub to the MBR, but the first time you try this it can be a little tricky. There are instructions on-line for resizing the Windows partition in order to make space for the Linux partition Puppy will use, and creating that new partition, using Gparted, which is in Puppy and Puppeee.

Because Puppy takes very little space it is quite practical to leave the old system around in case it has something you may need later. On a laptop, the BIOS code for a suspend operation expects to find certain partitions and programs on the disk, so clobbering everything can easily result in suspend failing. On many different machines, I've found sneaky little things like diagnostics on "hidden partitions" which cost me a great deal of trouble to restore. My advice is to leave most of the previous system intact, until you know more about what you can remove. On one Puppeee system I've installed, I used the Xandros Skype program simply by mounting the internal drive partition which held it and linking it to my desktop icon. I don't know how much else I can use this way.
I ended up with the whole Eee not booting at all and I had to reinstall the original OS from the original (2 year old) disk, so I know I did something seriously wrong with GRUB or with /boot...
Been there, done that. It's not the end of the world.
Last edited by prehistoric on Sun 03 Jan 2010, 19:20, edited 1 time in total.

cimh

#604 Post by cimh »

Jemimah or others

Is there somewhere I can access the previous 2.5 beta files?

I've been having a couple of problems since going to 3.1. There isnt much logic as to why they should happen (frequent crash when hooking up to wifi but only immediately after booting) and inability to mount my 16g ext4 ssd.

I didnt get either of these with 2.5 so I thought best to roll back and see if the problem goes away or if I've screwed something else up!

cimh
eee 901

jemimah

#605 Post by jemimah »

cimh,

Hmmm, I don't keep the old files around since it's too hard for me to support them (for a while I was releasing a new version every week!). I can't remember all the differences between them. Someone else might still have 2.5 though.

It's better if you help me work through issues with the current version.

If you run pmount from the terminal, it will usually tell you why the mount is failing. I will double check the ext4 support in 3.1.

The crash is somewhat more disturbing... is anyone else having that issue with 3.1? I'm about to release 3.2, maybe you'll find that works better.