Dpup Exprimo 5.X.3.1.10.3 SMP multicore optimized version

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
pemasu

#581 Post by pemasu »

Okay. First problem is that you cant ping alphabetical adresses. That I knew already. The second problem is that the numerical ip address (which I changed to use) does not respond to the ping anymore. ( when I tested the ping address in getflash script.

So...There is not easy solution for you. It looks like I have to change to use alphabetical addresses for ping or start to use those dns servers addresses like 8.8.8.8

James C. You could change the numerical ip address in getflash script to 8.8.8.8 and test again if you are adventurous.

Code: Select all

TESTSERVER="193.104.215.66

James C

#582 Post by James C »

pemasu wrote:Okay. First problem is that you cant ping alphabetical adresses. That I knew already. The second problem is that the numerical ip address (which I changed to use) does not respond to the ping anymore. ( when I tested the ping address in getflash script.

So...There is not easy solution for you. It looks like I have to change to use alphabetical addresses for ping or start to use those dns servers addresses like 8.8.8.8

James C. You could change the numerical ip address in getflash script to 8.8.8.8 and test again if you are adventurous.

TESTSERVER="193.104.215.66
Edited getflash.....

## link to download server and flash tar.gz download ##
TESTSERVER="8.8.8.8"
DURL="http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/pdc/11.1.102.55/install_flash_player_11_linux.i386.tar.gz"
CFILE="/tmp/install_flash_player_11_linux.i386.tar.gz"
FLASHLOC="/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins"

# getflash
Testsing download server
Attempt to download flash player
Extracting flash player and move to /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins
tar (child): /tmp/install_flash_player_11_linux.i386.tar.gz: Cannot open: No such file or directory
tar (child): Error is not recoverable: exiting now
tar: Child returned status 2
tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
mv: cannot stat `/tmp/libflashplayer.so': No such file or directory
# Flash player installed
....but still no flash..... :)

Still not a big deal to me so don't spend much time on this on my account.

jpeps

#583 Post by jpeps »

no gnumeric ? The PPM doesn't install libgoffice, so that also needs to be installed separately. The user has to figure what the arcane descriptions are in the PPM regarding which version to install (common vs runtime files ??). Then the user is told they need to load other packages...some with "gnumeric" in the name. I didn't bother, and gnumeric appears to be working.
Not good....

Time for some remastering....lets see, gnumeric or zathura?

edit: can you believe that my "defaultbrowser" was changed to "iron" ?

Tman

#584 Post by Tman »

I guess, my earlier post didn't go through.

Iron-16-debian is re-uploaded.
I made a bugfix and changed the settings-folder to /root/.config/iron the way you like it.

/usr/bin/iron_setup acts like a pinstall script which allows the sfs to set the defaultbrowser and do some house-cleaning during the first run.

http://www.smokey01.com/Tman/apps/dpup-apps/

pemasu

#585 Post by pemasu »

I do have two gnumeric-goffice-abiword sfs in repo. Nothing can be easier. I do use Libreoffice for spreadsheets and writing. Libreoffice just works much better for me. I just had too much weird phenomens with abiword that I dropped it out. Gnumeric is ok, that is why I used time and created those sfs apps. I also packaged goffice-abiword-gnumeric in separate pets ready.

Well....that was my choice about those apps.

pemasu

#586 Post by pemasu »

Thanks Tman. Iron worked just fine for me. It has nice feature to offer translating the page. I sometimes need it. Just like google-chrome. Also downloads link can handle the downloaded packages. I opened .zip package and decompressed it from download link.

jpeps

#587 Post by jpeps »

pemasu wrote:I do have two gnumeric-goffice-abiword sfs in repo. Nothing can be easier. I do use Libreoffice for spreadsheets and writing. Libreoffice just works much better for me. I just had too much weird phenomens with abiword that I dropped it out. Gnumeric is ok, that is why I used time and created those sfs apps. I also packaged goffice-abiword-gnumeric in separate pets ready.

Well....that was my choice about those apps.
Searching the PPM for gnumeric and choosing the main program gets you a version as described above. For me, it's a core app that I use in my work. I've never used abiword.

Edit. Found the sfs you mentioned. I had to remove a whiteout after uninstalling libgoffice, since it blocked the SFS. Gnumeric still wouldn't see it even after a reboot until running ldconfig. Strange...I thought a reboot would handle that. "Nothing can be easier" :D

pemasu

#588 Post by pemasu »

Okay...I dont say anything anymore. I will suffer the consequences of my apps removal obediently. Heh.

jpeps

#589 Post by jpeps »

pemasu wrote:Okay...I dont say anything anymore. I will suffer the consequences of my apps removal obediently. Heh.
Actually, it was initially more a comment about my experience getting gnumeric from the PPM, although probably there was some frustration expressed due to my database suddenly not working when I needed something prior to dashing out to work :)

Tman

#590 Post by Tman »

Pemasu, no problem; glad you like the Iron pet.
jpeps wrote: can you believe that my "defaultbrowser" was changed to "iron" ?
jpeps,

when you uninstall the Iron pet, the defaultbrowser, should be reset back to Firefox or whatever was the old defaultbrowser.
The Iron.sfs does not have this uninstall option; it would need to handle puninstall.sh scripts for me to do this.
The best I could do was have the old defaultbrowser settings saved to /usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser-old.

I don't know how necessary this is cause, Exprimo already has defaults-chooser installed which makes it pretty easy, but I added it anyhow.

jpeps

#591 Post by jpeps »

Tman wrote:
I don't know how necessary this is cause, Exprimo already has defaults-chooser installed which makes it pretty easy, but I added it anyhow.
Iron definitely should not be automatically changing "defaultbrowser." When you uninstall it, suddenly everything using "defautbrowser" will stop working. Not everyone will know why.

pemasu

#592 Post by pemasu »

I removed the defaultbrowser before from the iron pet which I uploaded to the exprimo repo. I also like to choose what app is default even when I install more of them. But there is defaults chooser for changing the default apps content in /usr/local/bin.

I know that some script based app developer like to include default handling also to be set for his/her app...but I usually remove them before I upload those apps to the exprimo repo...after testing them. When you woof build the default behavior might have otherwise unexpected results.

Tman

#593 Post by Tman »

jpeps wrote:Iron definitely should not be automatically changing "defaultbrowser."
Some people like it that way, some don't.
When you uninstall the pet, defaultbrowser is reset to the way it was before.

Maybe, I will remove the defaultbrowser option for the sfs..or I could just create a notice message that it was changed and how to change it back after unloading of the sfs.

Tman

#594 Post by Tman »

Nevermind, I have a better idea. I will give the user a choice to whether or not to make Iron the defaultbrowser on startup...that should satisfy both parties.

One thing I didn't test the Iron pet for is for woof-compiance. My method of setting the defaultbrowser will be okay with woof, but it is better to remove the pinstall.sh script in the pet if one wants to build it with woof.

The problem with adding a /usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser file in your pet is that if you use it with woof, it adds that file to the /root/.packages/builtin_files/Your-Browser-Name

This is a problem, becuase if you uninstall that browser, from Setup-> remove buit-in Packages, the defaultbrowser file gets removed.
My method for my Firefox and Iron pets circumvent this problem by creating defaultbrowser from a script...thus it is not registered in the
/root/.packages/builtin_files/BrowserName file.

I will tweak Iron some more on the weekend...I don't got much free time left this week until then.

pemasu

#595 Post by pemasu »

I compiled latest Qupzilla-1.1.8. It has inbuild RSS reader and adblock. Needs Qt libs. Basic version works ok.
Private browsing mode also. Pet size 1.6 Mb. For it`s size it is really promising. Five themes included. NLS as separate pet.

http://qt-apps.org/content/show.php/Qup ... ent=145693

http://smokey01.com/pemasu/QT-4.8.0-dpup/apps/

http://smokey01.com/pemasu/QT-4.8.0-dpup/libs/

sc0ttman

#596 Post by sc0ttman »

Tman wrote:
jpeps wrote:Iron definitely should not be automatically changing "defaultbrowser."
Some people like it that way, some don't.
Puppy needs to stop offering pre-installed web browsers,
and avoid overwriting defaultbrowser settings to stop this kinda thing.

A simple installer that lets the users choose a browser,
and whether or not to set it as default is all that is required.

I use different browsers day to day, mostly elinks,
unless I need Flash video or a site looks crap :shock:
[b][url=https://bit.ly/2KjtxoD]Pkg[/url], [url=https://bit.ly/2U6dzxV]mdsh[/url], [url=https://bit.ly/2G49OE8]Woofy[/url], [url=http://goo.gl/bzBU1]Akita[/url], [url=http://goo.gl/SO5ug]VLC-GTK[/url], [url=https://tiny.cc/c2hnfz]Search[/url][/b]

jpeps

#597 Post by jpeps »

sc0ttman wrote:I use different browsers day to day, mostly elinks,
unless a site looks crap :shock:
in which case, I use links :)

also: default set to dillo for reading docs and manuals..

jpeps

#598 Post by jpeps »

I took pemasu's lead, and separated out a few other apps like mplayer, firefox, notecase, and transmission, quickly bringing the package down to 100MB (I removed zathura). Combining what I need into an extra SFS is handy, since it's easy to update.

pemasu

#599 Post by pemasu »

Jpeps. Would it be possible to use Gnewpet like app to create a pet from builtin database information. Something which do adverse of remove builtin packages app ?
Like recreating the pet which has been used at woof when it digests the packages-pet folder.

It would help to gather used framework, icons...DOTdesktop file...libs...etc...
Sometimes I have noticed that using existing pet as template for those missing stuff would be handy when you compile and create a Puppy app from it.

jpeps

#600 Post by jpeps »

Sure, I'll look at it.
Attachments
gnewpet.png
(102.51 KiB) Downloaded 426 times