woof-CE needs you

News, happenings
musher0

#581 Post by musher0 »

I tried the Puduan-Rationalize branch a couple of weeks ago,
and it was the same thing...

Not just half like in slavvo7's case, NO Debian packages at all.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

jlst

#582 Post by jlst »

Nobody is working on updating the debian build recipes. nobody is working on basically any compat distro except micko updating slacko, and that is where development stuff is being tested.

The rationalise branch is about to be merged back to testing in a few days or maybe two or three or four weeks. when it happens it will be somewhat stable and most bugs should be fixed..

it's just that 2 people working on updating the code base and build recipes is not enough to make it on time..

jlst

#583 Post by jlst »

Well, i think some people here might know how to deal with the pain of editing/fixing/updating the config files and are willing to take a step forward. This can only be done when someone attempts to build a puppy, finds errors and proceeds to fix them, usually by updating the config files.

Then they should open a pull request with the updated files or PM me or post a message here so i can update them myself. Whatever you think is best, i guess you might want to contact micko for pet repo access or something if you want to build an official puppy/

There is sectarism here, which means people will attempt to build only the puppy flavor they prefer, and in this case no developer is available to update the config files for many compat distros, blame fate

And basically the same history happens with users, one notifies them that X compat distro is up to date and doing well, and they will never attempt to use it, so basically there's nothing to worry about.

From what i can tell illutorium is providing files here and here .. updating tahrpup.

People might want to test his first release..

But things are changing and all config files need updating to stay in sync with the new code.

The puppy stuff is still complex, but thousands of lines are gone, which makes everything easier to understand and possibly will encourage people to contribute fixes or new code, something that very rarely happens.

This is the schedule:
update random scripts when there is nothing else to do at the moment. So basically a bug in the build scripts (excluding outdated config files) you find today, might be fixed two months later. when someone (usually me) decides to test every part of the script, find the bugs and finally fix them..

musher0

#584 Post by musher0 »

I'd weep ;) with you over a pitcher of beer, jlst, if I didn't want the URLs
for the Debian stuff so much. Please?

Thanks in advance.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

slavvo67

#585 Post by slavvo67 »

I gather at one point, the repositories were working...so what's happening here? Have the addresses been changed at Debian?

jlst

#586 Post by jlst »

musher0 wrote:I'd weep ;) with you over a pitcher of beer, jlst, if I didn't want the URLs
for the Debian stuff so much. Please?

Thanks in advance.
I'm not sure how your setup looks like. phil provided you files that use the tahrpup repos, technically you were building a tahrpup.

although i'm into slacko nowadays and plan to build barebones and semi-retro slackos to see how small it can be (using slackware 14.2 as the base). i think i'll also try to a produce a minimal working devuan pup that can be used as a base for something bigger.. of course this will take a month or so as i'm doing too many things at once

jlst

#587 Post by jlst »

After editing/deleting thousands of lines, there's still one app that nobody has even touched for a long time... the PPM

mistfire has made some modifications that are still to be reviewed, mostly to better organize the files in /root/.packages.. well, some files have changed, so it will be a bit difficult to integrate his patches or properly review his changes.

But the problem with the PPM is structural, not only it does not have a cli method to deal with packages.... but to properly install sensitive packages, it requires hacks to avoid breaking puppy. Hacks that only are present when building a puppy iso.

jamesbond, the author of fatdog has been also working with a new approach... adapt puppy to the compat distro, not the opposite. The branch is woof-next.. see this notice
https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/w ... d7fd2a503f

I think his work is worth reviving, and it will happen eventually, as everyone knows, this will also take a lot of time.

musher0

#588 Post by musher0 »

I'm not trying to stress you out, jlst.
When you have a minute.

BFN
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

slavvo67

#589 Post by slavvo67 »

http://distro.ibiblio.org/debian/

Musher0: does the above help? The packages seem to be under the pool directory.

jlst

#590 Post by jlst »

slavvo67 wrote:I gather at one point, the repositories were working...so what's happening here? Have the addresses been changed at Debian?
Well, the are 2 sources: pet packages and compat distro packages

If something goes wrong, it can be because of incorrect *pet repo order* and broken packages, and this is most likely the case with older 'unmaintained' compat distros.

These days i'm editing the build scripts and some config files, i might end up breaking something, but it will be fixed shortly after.

For example, all the DISTRO_PET_REPOS files are now readable and easily updatable..
https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/w ... 9776cdb64a

My best advice is that you wait a couple weeks. The situation will improve as things will be clearer and i'll probably fix a couple issues with the debian stuff, but something more requires a volunteer with some experience maybe. i usually don't finish the process of creating an iso, just test some steps and withdraw

besides now it makes more sense to create a debian jessie pup. there are people outside woofce that have debian jessie 'build recipes', if you spot them, let them know you want the files..

Sailor Enceladus

#591 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

Has anyone here tried to build Slackware 14.2 32-bit in woof-CE recently? It was working for me a few months ago, but my last two attempts this week (at commit 4610 and 4628) crash when trying to load X (booting with grub4dos).

edit: Replacing the (empty) /etc/X11/xkb directory with the one from official 6.9.6.4 fixed it.
Last edited by Sailor Enceladus on Sat 14 Jan 2017, 00:34, edited 2 times in total.

tcan97

#592 Post by tcan97 »

Built a 32-bit, Slackware 14.2 based puppy with kernel 4.4.39.

Experienced the same crash while booting and used the same fix in order to get x to start.

It looks like a fix for the problem has been posted for woof-CE.

One other problem I encountered is that there was no /usr/lib/locale directory in the new build.

This caused problems with icons when trying to unmount drives and gave the following warning when running programs from the command line
Gdk-warning **: locale not supported by C library

Gtk-warning(recursed) **: locale not supported by C library.
using the fallback 'C' locale
Copying the locale directory from slacko 6.9.6.4 solved the problem.

Sailor Enceladus

#593 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

Last edited by Sailor Enceladus on Thu 09 Mar 2017, 05:18, edited 2 times in total.

musher0

#594 Post by musher0 »

Good work, Sailor! :)

Maybe consider a separate thread for your new Slacko in case you get lots
of feedback? Just a thought.

BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

Sailor Enceladus

#595 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

Thanks musher0. Though I guess I should have mentioned it has no "modifications" in it, I just followed the instructions on post 1 (picking x86 slackware 14.2) to see if it still worked. I remember jlst saying somewhere to post if you attempt to build an iso:
jlst wrote:if you can build a puppy, make sure to build a slacko and share it with us.. to test
https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/woof-CE/commit/e34c498108a84b5b0d5fd1d579afe58849da1296

I'll probably destroy the download link in a few days like those notes that self-destruct on Inspector Gadget. :twisted: :lol:

BFN

musher0

#596 Post by musher0 »

Oh well.

In the meantime, here's my feedback:
-- writing this from your spiffy new Slacko! So connection works OOTB.

-- my real screen res. (1920x1080) was not detected, it thought I had
3200x1080

-- no problem at all creating the pupsave

-- jwm's tray1 although configured to "center" shows 1/3 left of center at
top of this 1920x1080 monitor. (Maybe this is joe wing's doing?)

-- clicking on the sda5 disk icon does nothing, but pmount works.

-- the language variants config. are not in the usual place in the
mouse/keyboard config, although I did manage to find them

-- it lists my fr-legacy keyboard but it's not the real one, more like
cf-multi or something. Anyway I can write in French with it, but it's a
chore and slow compared to what I'm used to.

-- not possible in this Pup to create a xrandrindex in /etc from the
graphics/screen config? Would be handy to close the laptop screen and
keep only the big outside monitor. Wrote it by hand, restarted X, but both
monitors are still on. xrandrindex doesn't work in this Pup, eh? ;)

-- nice touch: the menu in the clock. (Kudo to whoever invented it!)

That's all for now. IHTH

Bonne continuation, Sailor! :)
Last edited by musher0 on Sun 22 Jan 2017, 21:22, edited 1 time in total.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

watchdog

#597 Post by watchdog »

I have downloaded the test slacko-6.9.6.4-r4711. I was just curious about the woof-ce developers' work about encryption and the losetup-FULL stuff. I have noticed the new entry losetup-222 in /sbin but if it's meant to be used to mount encrypted savefiles then I must say it does not work for me with a segmentation fault trying to mount a lightencrypted savefile. I successufully can use losetup-FULL from xenialpup to mount a lightencrypted savefile:

Code: Select all

losetup-FULL.xenial -E 1 /dev/loop3 /path-to/slackosave_cryptx-xxx.2fs
(assuming /dev/loop3 is a free loop device).

I have used in my fast test the already built my adrv.sfs. Browser, sylpheed and basic programs work. It's a stable build.

jlst

#598 Post by jlst »

watchdog wrote:...
I don't have old savefiles. And i decided to use the same losetup-222 binary globally when i reimplemented cryptoloop encrypted savefiles (requested in tahrpup thread).

I have created, tested and mounted heavy and light encrypted savefiles with that static binary.. so i guess there's a compatibility issue. tha's not how it's supposed to be.

Well right now i don't have older puppies, in fact i never use them. If you can provide an encrypted savefile that won't work, please do so...

Sailor Enceladus

#599 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

@musher0: Nice list. There are some random things I would change or improve too in the default build but am too lazy to write them all down right now (some again) :lol: I think the top tray is zigbert or 01micko's doing? Maybe the 3.14.79 kernel or 3.14.78 from Slacko 6.9.6.4 will work better for 1920x1080 video detection? I guess the xrandrindex bar can be re-added to quicksetup from legacy branch, sounds like a lot of things might be better (ie. keyboard layout) if reverted to older version :twisted: I wonder why the sda5 button does nothing and at what stage it falls apart, is there a drive_sda5 script created in /root/.pup_event? :)

musher0

#600 Post by musher0 »

@Sailor Enceladus

2nd test:
-- qc keyboard copied from /etc/X11/xkb/symbols/pc/qc in
puppy_slim-6.sfs to /etc/X11/xkb/symbols/qc -- works! Please note the
different directories in source and destination.

-- I didn't edit anything but clicking on the sda5 icon opens the partition.
Maybe it just needed the pupsave to be active.

-- fiddled with tray1 in ~/.jwm: removed valign and typed in x="0" y="0"
instead. No luck, stays at the same place on the larger monitor.

BUT it is indeed at the center of the 1280x800 laptop monitor. My guess is
that jwm thinks the active monitor is 1280 pixels wide. Tried changing
DISPLAY to :1, and that does nothing.

Xorg.conf says 1920x1080, so this is a mystery for me. Someone with a
better microscope and better tweezers please help!

IHTH. BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~