Dpup 484beta Testing

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#521 Post by Béèm »

Jim1911 wrote:Hi gposil,

Unable to use tune2fs on dpup484.2fs save file. Message: tune2fs: /lib/libblkid.so.1: no version information available (required by tune2fs)

Incidently, my frugal installation on an ext4 partition of dpup 484B4 is running great with a 3fs save file mounted as a journaling file system (converted it using Lighthouse since dpup didn't work). Also initrd.gz had to be modified so the 3fs save file would mount properly. The changes to it are to remove "-t ext2" and replace it with "-t ext3". There were only 3 entries to change.

Do you have any suggestions as to how to convert the dpupsave.2fs to 4fs so that it uses a journaling file system that corresponds to ext4?

Thanks,
Jim
I have converted a 2fs to a 3fs with tune2fs, but I still have the issue of the save file not unmounted properly, altho I found some threads where people were successful to use a 3fs save file.
To be clear I can use a 3fs save file, but the issue of uncleanly unmount stays.

Hope you can prove that with a 4fs this issue is solved.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

tubeguy

#522 Post by tubeguy »

I just heard a cricket...and was that a tumbleweed rolling by?
[b]Tahr Pup 6 on desktop, Lucid 3HD on lappie[/b]

01micko

#523 Post by 01micko »

tubeguy wrote:I just heard a cricket...and was that a tumbleweed rolling by?
I have it on good authority, that gposil will be back soon :wink:

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

futurnet

#524 Post by futurnet »

As other user here I report serious issue with share windows resource.
pnethood don't see others windows computers in the net. With puppy 431 I have not problem with pnethood.
I tryed also lamesmb explorer but in dpup don't work, just only in 431.
I am using the beta3, this issue is resolved in the beta 4?

tubeguy

#525 Post by tubeguy »

01micko wrote:
tubeguy wrote:I just heard a cricket...and was that a tumbleweed rolling by?
I have it on good authority, that gposil will be back soon :wink:

Cheers
Can I assume he is dutifully working on beta5 for 80 hours a week for no money, as do all Puppy devs? ;-)
[b]Tahr Pup 6 on desktop, Lucid 3HD on lappie[/b]

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#526 Post by Béèm »

ralphv wrote:
Jim1911 wrote:Hi dposil,

Unable to use tune2fs on dpup484.2fs save file. Message: tune2fs: /lib/libblkid.so.1: no version information available (required by tune2fs)

Incidently, my frugal installation on an ext4 partition of dpup 484B4 is running great with a 3fs save file mounted as a journaling file system (converted it using Lighthouse since dpup didn't work). Also initrd.gz had to be modified so the 3fs save file would mount properly. The changes to it are to remove "-t ext2" and replace it with "-t ext3". There were only 3 entries to change.

Do you have any suggestions as to how to convert the dpupsave.2fs to 4fs so that it uses a journaling file system that corresponds to ext4?

Thanks,
Jim
Thanks for the info. I think all pups should have ext3 pup saves. When I run e2fsck on my pup saves, they all have errors, except for the ext3 pup save that 2.12X made.

Ralph
I converted the dpup save 2fs to 3 fs.
I have the same issue of uncleanly umounted with the 3fs.
So I see no improvement here.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

shankargopal

xdelta problems

#527 Post by shankargopal »

Ok, possibly this has already been discussed on this thread, but have not been following for a long time so I may have missed it. If so apologies :).

Am trying to use the file "dpup-devx-484.sfs:dpup-devx-484-b4.sfs.delta" which I presume is the delta file to convert the earlier dpup-devx-484.sfs into the beta 4 version. When I try to apply it using the Xdelta GUI, I get this message:

Code: Select all

ERROR! failed to recreate the new file. Error message:
xdelta3: target window checksum mismatch: XD3_INVALID_INPUT
I am using it on the dpup-devx-484.sfs file from 484b1, which perhaps is too old, but I can't find any other sfs from beta 2 or 3 - both links on dpup.org give 404 errors. I have checked the download's md5sum, it's fine. Any idea what this message means? And if this doesn't work, how can I get an up to date devx for beta4?

svgt

Dpup484B4 - at first start I get vertical stripes

#528 Post by svgt »

Hi,

after hdd full install I start the Dpup the first time. In the normal procedure you are asked for localization - keyboard and time zone. Nothing happens but I get the vertical stripes. If I press enter all the time, I get a gui with an extreme flickering monitor. Puppy431 is running fine at the same machine.
I think its a IRQ problem. Its difficult t o share the Irq at an old motherboard with four pci places. (Asus TX97-E)

Regards
Svgt

svgt

Can't get a USB mouse working

#529 Post by svgt »

Hi,

after a lot of tinkering I got a normal Gui. But I don't succeed to get the usb mouse working. The mouse is plugged in a pci-card usb with three usb places. None of them works. With same Bios and same machine Puppy 431 accepts the same mouse.

aarf

Re: xdelta problems

#530 Post by aarf »

shankargopal wrote:Ok, possibly this has already been discussed on this thread, but have not been following for a long time so I may have missed it. If so apologies :).

Am trying to use the file "dpup-devx-484.sfs:dpup-devx-484-b4.sfs.delta" which I presume is the delta file to convert the earlier dpup-devx-484.sfs into the beta 4 version. When I try to apply it using the Xdelta GUI, I get this message:

ERROR! failed to recreate the new file. Error message:
xdelta3: target window checksum mismatch: XD3_INVALID_INPUT
I am using it on the dpup-devx-484.sfs file from 484b1, which perhaps is too old, but I can't find any other sfs from beta 2 or 3 - both links on dpup.org give 404 errors. I have checked the download's md5sum, it's fine. Any idea what this message means? And if this doesn't work, how can I get an up to date devx for beta4?
if you are using xdelta on a FAT file system the : in the file name causes the invalid filename/input issue.
bk has upgraded the xdelta here dont know where the upgrade is .
dont know where you got the dpup-devx-484.sfs:dpup-devx-484-b4.sfs.delta file from either

shankargopal

#531 Post by shankargopal »

I had originally tried to download the file on to a FAT file system and it failed. Then downloaded it to /tmp and tried to use it from there.

The delta file is from here:

http://www.dpup.org/test/dpup484beta4-2 ... .sfs.delta

I could not find any full dpup-devx-484-b4.sfs file in the Downloads section at www.dpup.org, only this delta file.

Hesse James

dpup-devx-484-b4.sfs

#532 Post by Hesse James »

Hi Shankargopal
I had generated my dpup-devx-484-b4.sfs by applying the "B4-delta file" on the dpup-devx-484-b3.sfs as you have also thought about it. I expect it does not work on earlier versions. The Beta3 File can be downloaded right now (I just have tried it). It would be helpful to use the wget command to download it as it was suggested in this Forum. Otherwise the download could be interrupted.
I think I had downloaded the delta file into the root directory of a frugal installation to work around FAT naming issues.

shankargopal

#533 Post by shankargopal »

Ok, I think I just managed to find the beta3 file. In fact the direct link from www.dpup.org to the beta3 folder is broken, because the link is to this:

http://www.dpup.org/test/484beta3-2.6.30.5/
rather than the actual URL which is this :):

http://www.dpup.org/test/dpup484beta3-2.6.30.5/
and which I was able to figure out by looking more closely at the beta 4 link. Thanks Hesse James, will download and try the delta now.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#534 Post by Lobster »

Been using Dpup for the last few days :)

I changed the JWM theme to Black-vg
and the sound icon (bottom left is practically invisible
(never noticed this in other Puppys?

Every time I boot up the sound level goes to zero
and I have to reset the slider . . .

I was very pleased that mplayer allowed me to listen to LBC live
http://www.lbc.co.uk/
(Something not possible before0
BUT - strangely) only the once
not been able to listen again?

Firefox seems to be working well
Very happy :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

caleb72

#535 Post by caleb72 »

Using DPup at the moment. I was so happy with the idea of having a Puppy that uses the Debian repository - one of the few things I've been a bit iffy about with Puppy in the past.

I'm playing around, installing software, attempting compiles etc... In fact, I keep re-installing a frugal Dpup to get practice putting together the ultimate "me" DPup for when this baby goes fully live.

I don't know whether I should have gone in the UPup direction or the Dpup direction really, but I've always had a respect for the Debian project for some reason, so I thought this would be the one to really trial.

Thanks for all the work you've done.

Regards
Caleb

caleb72

#536 Post by caleb72 »

Tried to install scribus-ng_1.3.4 found in the Puppy 5 repository and got the following error when trying to run:

scribus-ng: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/scribus-ng/plugins//libscriptplugin.so: undefined symbol: PyUnicodeUCS4_SetDefaultEncoding

Regards
Caleb

shankargopal

#537 Post by shankargopal »

shankargopal wrote:Ok, I think I just managed to find the beta3 file. In fact the direct link from www.dpup.org to the beta3 folder is broken, because the link is to this:

http://www.dpup.org/test/484beta3-2.6.30.5/
rather than the actual URL which is this :):

http://www.dpup.org/test/dpup484beta3-2.6.30.5/
and which I was able to figure out by looking more closely at the beta 4 link. Thanks Hesse James, will download and try the delta now.
And it worked, thanks!

aarf

#538 Post by aarf »

gerry

#539 Post by gerry »

Running dpup-B4 on Acer Aspire One, frugal install on hard drive. Several times Firefox has crashed, needing a reboot to get going again. But this time dpup would not reboot.
I was able to boot with a Slitaz live usb, delete the pupsave file, and bring the backup into use. Then dpup rebooted.

EDIT: what I meant above was that dpup crashed to a black screen when I was using Firefox. Previously, a reboot got it going again, but this time when I rebooted X would not start, whatever I did (running the x wizards).

gerry

nooby

#540 Post by nooby »

Gerry, not sure if this trick helps.

sometimes when I use USB linux on my AAO 250 and the LAN card shut down to protect itself maybe? not sure why then the only way to get it back in is to shut down the AAO and then take out battery and power plug if that one is charging the battery and let it be for a while.
then next time everything works again.

I guess the RAM memory need to get zeroed or something.

Could be the same with that black screen lock of booting?

worth to try.

I read about this way to get thing repaired on some forum don't know where. linux questions maybe

Edit

I download the dpup to see if same thing happens to me.

http://www.dpup.org/test/dpup484beta4-2 ... 6.30.5.iso

here I am in the official dpup I guess. the one above.

what was it I should to to replicate the bug of black screen? hm

Edit

Has not crashed yet for me. I failed to listen to BBC live radio the link some posts above.

But BBC worldservice 1 minute news was palying and clips on their site and youtube is playing but not as good as in Stardust or NOP.

There is some delay in the updating of the pictures.

One thing that is a downer.

It seems to not have any way to package the codecs for mplayer.

In stardust and NOP I just go to the package and click on them and they install from different urls and check things but here they are nowhere to be found.

I guess it is due to Debian being purist over proprietary code is it not? So how do you guys get Dpup going with codecs?

Edit 2

Maybe I have found some problem with dpup but it could be my clumsy handling too.

I used dpup to download upup and it overflowed my memory and that made three puppies fail to boot.

But the other way to boot using grub4DOS did worked so here I am in Dpup using another boot

not sure why it failed to boot the normal way. Three different puppies failed to boot
so now I have to restore the menu.lst so it works again.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though