LxPup : a Puppy with LXDE as its desktop environment

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
peebee

LxPupTahr14.12

#461 Post by peebee »

LxPupTahr14.12 in both pae and non-pae versions is available from:

http://lx-pup.weebly.com/current-download.html

The build includes the service_pack-6.0_TO_6.0.1_tahr

Other changes are to bring the Tahr flavour into line with the Slacko flavour including the Compton compositor (disabled by default).
Last edited by peebee on Sun 11 Jan 2015, 11:44, edited 1 time in total.
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

peebee

LxPupPrecise-15.02-retro

#462 Post by peebee »

Update: 13-feb-2015

LxPupPrecise-15.02-retro updated:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/lxpup/f ... o/download
Last edited by peebee on Fri 13 Feb 2015, 12:44, edited 1 time in total.
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

zagreb999

tahrpup64 lxde

#463 Post by zagreb999 »

to peebee
PLEASE,
DO MAKE TAHRPUP64 WITH LXDE DESKTOP!
THANK YOU.

Ted Dog

EFI BOOT NexT addition

#464 Post by Ted Dog »

<deleted by user>

peebee

**EXPERIMENTAL** LxPupUnicorn-15.1

#465 Post by peebee »

**EXPERIMENTAL**

LxPupUnicorn-15.1.00-pae.iso with kernel 3.17.7

Constructed by updating tahrpup with unicornpup (updated libraries in /lib and /usr/lib removed) so somewhat bigger (but I'm not one to reinvent perfectly good wheels) (anything else I should have removed? some extra apps and backgrounds cf tahrpup)

Netsurf removed.

No Broadcom wl wifi driver as I haven't compiled yet for k3.17.7 (need kernel sources)

There is a problem with unicornpup, carried into LxPupUnicorn, on my HP laptop - loses 50% screen brightness when dropping out to terminal.... a fix pet is attached

Also, doesn't seem to be any modesetting driver for my nvidia graphics.....

Please test and let me know what else is wrong.

Cheers
peebee
Attachments
lxunicorn-brightness-fix.pet
(524 Bytes) Downloaded 293 times
Last edited by peebee on Sun 11 Jan 2015, 09:25, edited 1 time in total.

Gobbi

#466 Post by Gobbi »

Hi @peebee

Took a first test on LxPupUnicorn 15.1.00-pae in virtual machines and I couldn't get to desktop in Qemu , even using nomodesetting . In VirtualBox it started well and I noticed the resolution was set to 1600/1200 ( 63fps) and there were also available 1280/1024 (63fps) and 1024/768 (76fps) and the minor ones ... Obviously Qemu didn't like those values .

P.S. I also tried it on my desktop ( frugal install ) and I could not get to desktop . (AMD card + LG TV over HDMI)

Marv

LxPupUnicorn 15.1.00-pae

#467 Post by Marv »

Firstboot on 1.6GHz Pentium M ipw2200 wireless 855GM video laptop. Pristine Grub4Dos frugal as usual. Obviously the forcepae option works :D intel driver used, drm setup shows pipe underruns as did the 3.18.? kernel in vlina but not the 3.14.2 kernel in LxTahrPup. Doesn't affect video performance at all though. Glxgears is a very respectable 660 FPS on this laptop. The pipe underrun messages are here.

Code: Select all

# dmesg | grep drm
[drm] Initialized drm 1.1.0 20060810
[drm] Memory usable by graphics device = 128M
[drm] Replacing VGA console driver
[drm] Supports vblank timestamp caching Rev 2 (21.10.2013).
[drm] Driver supports precise vblank timestamp query.
[drm:i9xx_set_fifo_underrun_reporting] *ERROR* pipe A underrun
[drm] initialized overlay support
fbcon: inteldrmfb (fb0) is primary device
i915 0000:00:02.0: fb0: inteldrmfb frame buffer device
[drm] Initialized i915 1.6.0 20140725 for 0000:00:02.0 on minor 0
[drm:i9xx_check_fifo_underruns] *ERROR* pipe B underrun
[drm:i9xx_set_fifo_underrun_reporting] *ERROR* pipe B underrun
[drm:i8xx_irq_handler] *ERROR* pipe B underrun
WPA2 connection using Frisbee works well, sound OK, Lid suspend works with one caveat. On this machine anyway, a 1 second sleep is required before the 201214 test in /root/Startup/acpi to get acpid going before testing. Otherwise the pid is found about half the time resulting in a second acpid and no lid suspend.

#if acpid failed to start....201214
sleep 1  #added, Marv
pid=`pidof acpid`
Edit 1/5/2014: With the cleaner rc.acpi now used, I've never had acpid not start. The second test may not be necessary with it but with the 1 second sleep seems safe anyway.

More later, I'll check the Bay-Trail box and just continue to use this on my workhorse laptop.

Edit: Savefile set up, Lxpanel setup and desktops for my external browsers and save2flash swapped in from my LxPupTahr install, CPU governor set up, HP4500 printer set up (hplip_print_3.13.4 drivers and filters used) and numerous WM restarts. The Experiment seems sucessful from this admittedly limited viewpoint.

Some testing and observations:

Could remove rgbpaint, it doesn't resize, mtpaint does.

Broken link in /usr/lib. libffi.so.5 points to nonexistent libffi.so.6.0.1. It should point to libffi.so.6.0.2. Corrected, then Abiword starts. I've been a long term Abiword user but have pretty much abandoned it for LibreOffice because of formatting issues. Haven't tried 3.0 though. Remove?

Multimedia stuff:
mplayer not present? Installed it and simpleGTKradio works correctly as does pupRadio. This was the case in unicornpup also.

VLC present, started from terminal plays both CDs and DVDs sucessfully. Not in menu etc.

Starting DeaDBeef, either from the menu, the .desktop, or from a terminal in /opt/deadbeef, locks up the machine with 100% CPU and no info at all in the terminal. Machine does recover after about 45 secs or so. Nothing relevant in LxTask. Pretty much still a pristine install except for panel and added browser .desktops. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Last edited by Marv on Mon 05 Jan 2015, 14:15, edited 1 time in total.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

666philb

#468 Post by 666philb »

hi peebee,

when you say no modesetting for nvidia ..... does glxgears work? if it does that would mean modesetting has worked properly and selected nouveau.
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

peebee

#469 Post by peebee »

666philb wrote:hi peebee,

when you say no modesetting for nvidia ..... does glxgears work? if it does that would mean modesetting has worked properly and selected nouveau.
Hi 666philb

On all the kernels post 3.4 I've had a problem with the nouveau driver - it works ok initially but crashes the system regularly usually when using a browser or when dropping out to the terminal.

On all systems until unicornpup I've been able to circumvent this problem by choosing the modesetting driver via xorgwizard

unicornpup doesn't offer the modesetting driver for either my nvidia deskyop nor my intel laptop (the laptop does not have the crash problem)

Looking in /root/.packages/woof-installed the package you recommended to try is already installed.

What I have noticed is that the modesetting_drv.so is in /usr/lib/x/drivers-alternate rather than in /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers - I've tried moving it but this does not seem to affect xorgwizard which still does not offer it as an alternative to nouveau.

Cheers
peebee

mmxii

#470 Post by mmxii »

Tahrpup and LXDE is like a dream come true for me! I've been looking for the perfect distro to run live and this is it by a landslide :D the Ubuntu repo mixed with the versatility that is Puppy and with the LXDE desktop, it's a thing of beauty! Massive thanks to Barry K., 666philb, peebee and everyone else involved with this! Even my wife loves it and she's not technically proficient yet finds it easy to use, fast and fun and to me that means everything! You guys rock, this is miles better than any distro I've ever came across. Keep up the amazing work :D

peebee

Updates

#471 Post by peebee »

I have rebuilt LxPupTahr14.12 because I was doubtful that the TahrPup 6.0 to 6.0.1 update had been correctly included in version 1 ** (given the number of downloads >1400 without any error reports it doesn't seem to have been a huge problem...)

Anyway, the new versions can be found at:
http://lx-pup.weebly.com/current-download.html

9-jan-15 now also include updated kernel builds from 666philb - no need to change if you weren't having problems with the previous builds

=======================

Also updated LxPupUnicorn15.1 to version .01 - this time includes the Broadcom wl wifi driver compiled for k3.17.7 + the Abiword link correction reported by Marv - thanks Marv
http://sourceforge.net/projects/lxpup/files/LxPup15.1/

=======================
** FYI
Browser downloads of .pets from nluug.nl sometimes cause problems - safer to use pwsget

Marv

#472 Post by Marv »

@peebee,

LxPupUnicorn15.1.01 installed and running well. Using the core 2 duo laptop with iwlwifi and an intel Mobile 4 series chipset (Cantiga?) video for a switch. Grub4Dos frugal on SSD. Integrated O2 Micro MMC/SD card reader actually recognized and set up on this lappie, a nice bonus. i915 drm setup clean with glxgears 1360 FPS or so, a good showing for this particular laptop.

I modified your patch for brightness drop to make it a bit more universal (# > 7 not allowed on this laptop) and run it as a script in Startup. Not perfect but I do a fair number of X restarts and it helps.

cat /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/max_brightness > /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/brightness
Thanks,
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

totolanio

#473 Post by totolanio »

Very interesting Distribution !

There are still few things you could change :

1 - Right clic options : extract/compress (with pupzip or something else), this is available in every other system lol and for newbies it's not easy to find how to extract !

2 - Right click option : Make a desktop shortcut of a program (if it's not listed in the menu).

3 - I don't understand why but when I try to turn volume up or down using my keyboard it does nothing. In lubuntu 14.04 it worked (it increases/decrease by around 5% each time I pushed the button)

And some questions :

A - I installed Flash using quickpet (the lastest) and then I watched a video and everything got blocked and I had to shutdown computer and make everything again (because it was before I saved). Without flash youtube videos work but I get asked everytime "do you want to install flash ??" I prefer not to try :'(
Why installing flash though ?

B - When you update your puppy, I have to erase the CD and make a new one ?

Thank you :p

peebee

#474 Post by peebee »

totolanio wrote:There are still few things you could change :
Hi - thanks for your interest and reports....

1. - have you installed the Right Clicks option pack? Desktop -> Change appearance -> Options -> Right Clicks
you will then have pupzip as an option on compressed files

2. - in PcManFm - select the item - Edit -> Create link -> choose the Desktop to make the link on

- for items in the menu simply right click on the item -> add to desktop

3. that is because the openbox bindings for the key on your keyboard are missing - see:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 593#803593

A. suggest you use Chromium with Pepperflash

B. yes - if running off cd - you may find booting off usb or making a frugal install on hdd is more flexible if you want to keep up to date with future releases....these are generic puppy topics that are not unique to LxPup

Cheers
peebee

peebee

#475 Post by peebee »

For LxPupUnicorn - I've attached a brightness-fix pet to the post above. (Thanks Marv for the improved fix - the fix pet puts the fix into /root/Startup/1-lxde-startup.sh)

If you need the Broadcom wl wifi driver, please ensure that you use the iso's for LxPupTahr14.12.2 dated 12-jan-15 or later

Cheers
peebee
Last edited by peebee on Mon 12 Jan 2015, 11:36, edited 1 time in total.

totolanio

#476 Post by totolanio »

Thank you for all the answers, I only need to have a look at the openbox key bindings and i'm done :)

EDIT : I still can't "compress" or "extract" with right click (especially compress)

peebee

#477 Post by peebee »

totolanio wrote:EDIT : I still can't "compress" or "extract" with right click (especially compress)
For LxPupTahr14.12 only:

In PcManFM

Right click on any directory

-> Open with

From Utilities menu select PackIt

This new right click option will now be offered on any subsequent right click on a directory.

Repeat for any other object types you want to compress.

totolanio

#478 Post by totolanio »

Thank you, it worked wel!!

totolanio

#479 Post by totolanio »

You could add (and every puppy linux should) an update notifier which tell us when you update LXPup so we download the newest version (unless it's useless to change ) !
Just put a link to your website in it !

peebee

#480 Post by peebee »

totolanio wrote:You could add (and every puppy linux should) an update notifier which tell us when you update LXPup so we download the newest version (unless it's useless to change ) !
Just put a link to your website in it !
Hi

Just "watch" this topic - all updates are announced here - you can receive an email whenever anybody posts to the topic....

I'm not a fan of systems that connect to the internet of their own volition and anyway with wifi a connection may not be established for some time after booting.....