Community Edition anyone interested?

News, happenings
wanderer

#441 Post by wanderer »

sorry anikin

Its the way i think, in little fragments, i will try to do better and make it more readable in the future.

By the way i am reading your stuff, please post more.

wanderer
Last edited by wanderer on Mon 02 Dec 2013, 15:54, edited 2 times in total.

jpeps

#442 Post by jpeps »

mavrothal wrote: Kids all over the world go around with an XO laptop. They deserve one puppy (or many) too
Even XO is moving foward

"The XO 4 is a refresh of the XO 1 to 1.75 with a later ARM CPU and an optional touch screen"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XO-4_touch#XO_4

wanderer

#443 Post by wanderer »

hi all

(only my opinion)

To start things off, everyone could begin looking at the woof-ce slacko testing thread and posting suggestions and comments. We could use that as the first ce iso and then add more isos from woof-ce as they are posted. No one needs to know anything about woof, they can just look at the iso and suggest or provide changes to what they see in the iso.

thanks all

wanderer

mavrothal

#444 Post by mavrothal »

jpeps wrote:
mavrothal wrote: Kids all over the world go around with an XO laptop. They deserve one puppy (or many) too
Even XO is moving foward

"The XO 4 is a refresh of the XO 1 to 1.75 with a later ARM CPU and an optional touch screen"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XO-4_touch#XO_4
Of course and we already have a couple of FatDog builds for it :lol:

However the driving force behind the ARM move was energy consumption (down to 2W from 5W) which is a huge factor in developing countries when you consider the number of machines, so they could work better with solar or even human power. (I really wander how-who is going to use the 200-300W donated machines... Most places hardly have any power for a lightbulb).

The touch was a nice touch ( :P ) that puppy should follow.
As a matter of fact this is one of (the hidden) zigbert's goals in revising all the gtk-dialog apps in woof-CE.
PuppyPin is also very touch friendly (I know since I use it in the XO-4 builds).
The menu's are a bit cluttered for touch but we are also trying for that in woof-CE.
So we are getting there. Help if you can.
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

raffy

back to the future

#445 Post by raffy »

Note: This should have appeared a page back, but it did not get inserted for some reason.

Are we going back to the future? :lol:

The new Intel galileo makes me feel like going back to 2005 when puppy is kicking butt with gtk1 in 400 Mhz Celeron.

All I need now for galileo is a bare puppy with networking and dosbox. Or FreeDOS.

My take on why we should no longer build for old pcs: there are already puplets for them. Even wanderer is using 214x and is satisfied with it. And Wary 5.5 is here for the newer of the aging pcs. 431-updated, and akita are other puppies good for old pcs.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

wanderer

#446 Post by wanderer »

Greetings community edition puppy fans

To get things started i (just me, but any help would be appreciated) have decided to work on the woof-ce slacko iso as our first community edition candidate. Later today i will post the test iso on the community edition repository just so people will be aware that we are working on it. As i posted before i think there are many reasons why we should use the woof-ce isos as the base of our candidates and as more of them become available we will review them and choose what we feel is appropriate. If we wish to make an iso for older computers we can make a kernal-driver pak to allow the iso to work with older hardware. As i understand Iguleder is working to incorporate 64 bit into woof-ce so this should take care of the isos for newer computers.

The method i intend to try to use is, to remaster the woof-ce iso to make it into a ce iso, by making pets, sfs files and 2fs files that change the iso to suit our needs. We can also ask the woof-ce gurus to make commits to woof-ce if this is appropriate. We will then make a repository of the pets and other files, to keep track of, and be able to duplicate, the changes we have made, to make the woof-ce iso into the ce iso.

If anyone wishes to help, please take a look at the woof-ce slacko test iso and the test thread and post your thougths.

I have aready started this process but since i have limited expertise it will take time. Any others ideas or methods to make a community edition are welcome, as are your thoughts on this suggestion.

Wanderer

anikin

#447 Post by anikin »

if it has to be a remaster of a Slacko iso - let's first ask 01micko, if he's planning on updating ThinSlacko anytime soon. It would be the best candidate for remastering by virtue of being the least bloated of all the puppies, IMHO. Not as thrilling and exciting as woofing, but better still than doing nothing.

wanderer

#448 Post by wanderer »

Anikin

I understand what you mean and normally i would do that too. But i would like it to go through woof-ce so that we have access to the help and development expertise from the woof-ce puppy gurus. I also do not intend to only remaster slacko but make a general ce remaster system/package that we can use for any woof-ce based iso. As to the size we can cut it down as much as we want by moving items to a 2fs file mounted on a loop and checking if each move breaks anything.

Thanks a lot for the participation and feedback

Your further thoughts ?

wanderer

anikin

#449 Post by anikin »

wanderer et al,
BK is cooking something that might be relevant to CE:http://bkhome.org/news/?viewDetailed=00011 ...could be much easier than woof ... let's keep an eye on that option too.

edit: start reading here:http://bkhome.org/news/?viewDetailed=00007

wanderer

#450 Post by wanderer »

anikin

yes lets keep all our options open

wanderer

wanderer

#451 Post by wanderer »

Greetings community edition puppy fans

the first thing we need to do to make any iso a community edition iso is to gather together all the artwork that will be needed to indicate that it is a community edition and turn it into a pet. I will go back through the thread and get tubeguy's stuff and any other things that are there. If you want to contribute art please post it on this forum and we will include it.

wanderer

tubeguy

#452 Post by tubeguy »

[b]Tahr Pup 6 on desktop, Lucid 3HD on lappie[/b]

wanderer

#453 Post by wanderer »

thanks tubeguy

wanderer

wanderer

#454 Post by wanderer »

hi all

The next thing we need to do is start collecting pets, sfs or 2fs files of things that we want to try to add to the ce iso. Look around, if you have anything you like, either that is a pet already, or you can make into a pet, post the info, so we can start to gather these things together and test them to see how they work in our test iso (which is now the woof-ce slacko iso) As i said i will post that iso tonight in the ce repository but you can pick up a copy on the woof-ce or slako test threads.

We won't rename or alter it in any way. The woof-ce guys will do that. This is not about any specific iso from woof-ce. This is a general system to change any iso into a ce iso.

wanderer

wanderer

#455 Post by wanderer »

The third thing we need to do, which i will start doing, is break up the ce iso into its parts so that i can manipulate the innner working of the iso without going through the woof process. This will also allow us to add or substract items much more quickly than using the woof process which is still in development.

wanderer

musher0

#456 Post by musher0 »

Hello, people.

Regarding (e)glibc, the most advanced Puppy at the time of this writing
is not the most recent, it's not the slacko being built with mavrothal's
new-born git-hub, it's pemasu's little-noticed Upup-Raring from last July.
Edit: mid-August 2013, actually.
( http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 446#713317 )
It has glibc 2.17.

The interest of putting a recent glibc in a Puppy is that it enables the user
to run the last version of C-based applications on the Puppy right off the
bat. E.g. TreeSheets, or the last published SM or gmplayer, etc.

To use a contrary example, we have to compensate the inability to run
recent C-compatible apps right off the bat in CE-3, by loading additional
languages, such as java, tcl/tk, etc.

Sure, there are excellent programs written in those languages (e.g.
SQLiteStudio, or the BORG PIM, etc., etc.), but adding such languages to
the Puppy adds "weight" to the Puppy. So, IMO, by not incorporating the
current glibc, the Puppy is defeating its own purpose of staying small.

Just a thought. BFN.

musher0
Last edited by musher0 on Wed 04 Dec 2013, 04:48, edited 1 time in total.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

wanderer

#457 Post by wanderer »

musher0

I understand your concerns and agree with you that an up to date glibc is important. What i would like to do now is set up a system so we can remaster any iso into a ce iso. In this way we can just take any iso we want, for example the one you are suggesting, and modify it to suit our purpose. I also am hoping that the woof-ce guys will help us build an iso from woof that will meet our needs. I think we will probably end up with a number of versions of ce. I assume at least 2, one for older computers and one for newer computers. So i see this as a preliminary process not the only iso we will use.

your further thoughts ?

wanderer

musher0

#458 Post by musher0 »

Hi, wanderer.

Remaster UpupRaring into a CE Puppy edition?

Wow! Great idea! 8) :)

It's certainly a very good base. It'll be hard to outdo what pemasu
has done with it, but hey, let's try, it'll be good learning for us all!

What does Mr. pemasu think? Do we have his "benediction"? :)

BFN.

musher0
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

musher0

#459 Post by musher0 »

wanderer wrote:hi all

The next thing we need to do is start collecting pets, sfs or 2fs files of things that we want to try to add to the ce iso. Look around, if you have anything you like, either that is a pet already, or you can make into a pet, post the info, so we can start to gather these things together and test them (...)

wanderer
Hello again, wanderer.

So just a post here, not an ftp upload to some central CE edition depot?

BFN.

musher0
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

wanderer

#460 Post by wanderer »

musher0 and everyone

for the time being, explain what the pet does and then you can post it to the repository for everyone to test..

We will have to get a big repository to store and exchange pets and other files. I don't think smokey01's repository is big enough. It has only 2 gigs. We can start using it for the time being, but eventually maybe we can just keep that for the isos.

On a related note, we will have to have a team of volunteers, that know the codes, to help people post to the repositories. They can also try answer questions about what we are doing, if someone is not available at the time. No knowledge is necessary just interest in our project. Anyone that wants to join pm me and I'll return a pm with the codes.

thanks everyone for participating. This is a big job and any help is appreciated.

Wanderer