Pussy: potentially a Puppy with a perfect package manager

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
nooby

#421 Post by nooby »

Ooops sorry I spent a long time trying in vain to get internet to work.

Sadly I am not intelligent enough to get what you say here
if you cant get network-config to work

1. then goto catroll-panel
2. then select network-managers
3. then set-wicd-as-default,
4.then you click the network icon on the desktop
5 and this time wicd will control your networking.

There is nothing like this on the desktop until one do a special thing
that I fail to remember how one did it. Can you please tell?

I did not have any save file as far as I know.
How do I make that one visible?

this one

then set-wicd-as-default,

then you click the network icon on the desktop

How does one do that? Have no experience of how that is done.

Okay I download the seamonkey again then. More by accident I managed to get that one going but having no internet no use of it :?

Correction after taking away that code that noautologin
then it accepted that root is pussy
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

sickgut

#422 Post by sickgut »

the two network managers are fighting each other. it seems when the new network-config program is used, it spawns and configures wicd in the background but i finally have found a decent DNS manager its a package called resolvconf it sets itself between programs that handle DHCP and other things and it autodetects your DNS. The whole reason i added the new network manager was so it autodected the DNS, now with this new discovery we can keep using wicd and it will do everything we want.

i will be uploading the corrections to the new squash file shortly

sickgut

#423 Post by sickgut »

nooby wrote:Ooops sorry I spent a long time trying in vain to get internet to work.

Sadly I am not intelligent enough to get what you say here
if you cant get network-config to work

1. then goto catroll-panel
2. then select network-managers
3. then set-wicd-as-default,
4.then you click the network icon on the desktop
5 and this time wicd will control your networking.

There is nothing like this on the desktop until one do a special thing
that I fail to remember how one did it. Can you please tell?

I did not have any save file as far as I know.
How do I make that one visible?

this one

then set-wicd-as-default,

then you click the network icon on the desktop

How does one do that? Have no experience of how that is done.

Okay I download the seamonkey again then. More by accident I managed to get that one going but having no internet no use of it :?

Correction after taking away that code that noautologin
then it accepted that root is pussy
hi nooby, im uploading new squashfs files with the fixed wicd and dns detection without the new network manager as i have solved the wicd dns problem.
ill post again when upload is finnished.

nooby

#424 Post by nooby »

I did my best to follow your descriptions and think I got the wicd going but like last time it failed to do teh DNS thing. the name servers fails
and I did not keep the ip to puppy forum so I could not test if I was connected or not. Seamonkey loaded fine this time so that was working.

root and pussy worked

But but but. The way I boot it now fail to allow one to save changes of menu.lst editing.

Should I have rw in the code maybe?

Am I rude if I tell you that neither Bodhi booted iso booting
nor ubuntu nor Linux Mind Debian Edition nor Peppermint nor
many other OS that I have booted during these last days have had any problems with getting internet going on their own out of the box.

Had no problem with Porteus or Parted Magic either.

so there is something you set up very badly here. I mean all the others just work. Why do you force me to spend hours in vain getting your OS to get out on internet when none of the others that I 've installed same way have no problem.
No criticism at all. I trust you do your best but the others must know things you have not looked into.

is this the link?
http://www.pussypussypussy.info/linux/beta-preview/

sickgut

#425 Post by sickgut »

nooby wrote:I did my best to follow your descriptions and think I got the wicd going but like last time it failed to do teh DNS thing. the name servers fails
and I did not keep the ip to puppy forum so I could not test if I was connected or not. Seamonkey loaded fine this time so that was working.

root and pussy worked

But but but. The way I boot it now fail to allow one to save changes of menu.lst editing.

many other OS that I have booted during these last days have had any problems with getting internet going on their own out of the box.

so there is something you set up very badly here. I mean all the others just work. Why do you force me to spend hours in vain getting your OS to get out on internet when none of the others that I 've installed same way have no problem.
No criticism at all. I trust you do your best but the others must know things you have not looked into.

is this the link?
please refer to my previous post, im uploading a new squashfs because the 2 network managers where fighting each other. in about 20 minutes the main pussyos-beta.squashfs will have finnished uploading then you can try the new version.
i have the auto dns detecting working now with wicd, it will solve the issue you are having. this is because of something i accidently discovered called resolvconf .deb, it starts itself when any dhcp application starts and it detects the dns.

sickgut

#426 Post by sickgut »

new squashfs files uploaded... same names and the links in the previous posts are still correct

http://www.thepussycatforest.info/linux/preview-beta/

i apologize for the hassle with the bugged upload before, these files should work fine.

sickgut

#427 Post by sickgut »

nooby wrote:I did my best to follow your descriptions and think I got the wicd going but like last time it failed to do teh DNS thing. the name servers fails

root and pussy worked

is this the link?
hi nooby....

im certain the internet DNS problem is solved now, i have just booted and connected to the internet and Pussy somehow guessed my settings immediately, i didnt even have to run wicd, and my DNS and ip's are all correct, i literally booted pussy, selected www browser from the jwm menu then clicked cleanmode and was able to log onto this site and type this message.

so let me know how you go with the new squashfs files that where uploaded.

nooby

#428 Post by nooby »

Edit. Yes this time the wicd just worked. But it does show the wrong ip but who cares when it do work

Now I need to test if it allow me to edit a text file and save it.

Any suggestion if I have to change permissions or anything?

Tested and it says That it can not open the file to save it. Sad
but that is how Crunchbang works too.

But LMDE which also is 100 per cent Debian allow me to save.

So ...?

okay thanks for all your efforts but LMDE seems easier on noobs like the one I am/ sorry grammar there late at night here now past 10 PM so I most likely turn in.

In case you feel for it you can be of real help. How do I boot both your
Pussy and the Crunchbang when both wants to be alone using a live dir and not alloing two live at same time. Should I set one in (live) paranteeses

old text
I got so down and felt hopeless when I totally failed
to get it going today and it gave me a severe headache too so now I am
trying cheer me up booting Crunchbang for the first time since 2008 or so.

Using same code that your Pussy need. C seems to be Debian too and also
want grub2 but the code that d4p gave me seems to work.

I am in C now and it uses Chromium browser.

I will test if it allow me to write using su or sudo and then I test your pussy.

I need to hide the live file that C uses.

Hey both your Pussy and Crunchbanc both use a live dir and none seems to accept that it is one layer down in /pussy/live it seems it need to be on its own for to start booting. Why is that?

Any suggestion? I can not give up on Crunchbang now when it actually boots :)

saintless

#429 Post by saintless »

Sorry for the late replay, sickgut, but I didn't have time for testing till now... Here is the result:
I used the same /live directory on Fat32 partition. I downloaded the beta files about one hour ago. I moved from Puppy linux the pussyos.squashfs and pussyxtra.squashfs in another directory. I made a new one live-rw file and renemed the old one. Then I copied pussyos-beta.squashfs and seamonkey.squashfs to /live and rebooted the PC. I changed nothing in grub menu list.
The system boots like charm. The browser works. I have internet from start without changing any IP or DNS settings. The apt-get works fine. I installed two programs with their dependencies without problems.
Scrot screen capture program works fine.
I started the Gparted and created a new NTFS partition on my HDD.
Then created a new directory named ntfs and mounted the NTFS partition from terminal with the command:
mount /dev/sda8 /ntfs

Then created a new text document in the NTFS partition, wrote some text and saved it without problems.

In my opinion you did great job, sickgut, and made pussy linux more user friendly for newbies like me.
Thank you very much! :D

Lothar

#430 Post by Lothar »

Hai, I made a really cool Debian and need help turning it into a Gentoo.

Devs can you please help me turn it into a Gentoo?

sickgut

#431 Post by sickgut »

saintless wrote:Sorry for the late replay, sickgut, but I didn't have time for testing till now... Here is the result:
I used the same /live directory on Fat32 partition. I downloaded the beta files about one hour ago. I moved from Puppy linux the pussyos.squashfs and pussyxtra.squashfs in another directory. I made a new one live-rw file and renemed the old one. Then I copied pussyos-beta.squashfs and seamonkey.squashfs to /live and rebooted the PC. I changed nothing in grub menu list.
The system boots like charm. The browser works. I have internet from start without changing any IP or DNS settings. The apt-get works fine. I installed two programs with their dependencies without problems.
Scrot screen capture program works fine.
Then created a new directory named ntfs and mounted the NTFS partition from terminal with the command:
mount /dev/sda8 /ntfs

Then created a new text document in the NTFS partition, wrote some text and saved it without problems.

In my opinion you did great job, sickgut, and made pussy linux more user friendly for newbies like me.
Thank you very much! :D
hi saintless thanks for your feedback
glad to hear about the ntfs mounting working with read write and the network autodetecting everything, as these 2 points where the reason i rushed to release an early preview of the beta.

im a little shocked actually that the network stuff is all autodetected and you can browser the internet immediately without entering any settings in WICD network manager or even clicking connect anywhere, it just works. Compared to Puppy its actually better.... and all i was hoping for was something that would be only atleast half as good as Puppy.... im using normal wired ethernet, i havent tried wireless autodetection, nooby has reported that worked for him.

i have not tested booting from an NTFS partition and writing to it yet... ill report back tomorrow when i test it, im having a day off today to recover from a 24 hour hacking spree.

aarf

#432 Post by aarf »

Update the first post

nooby

#433 Post by nooby »

Saintless you and I can compete who is most noob.

You are not a noob if you can do what you write here
mount /dev/sda8 /ntfs

I guess it works for you to save because you do boot from the Fat32 and not boot from a ntfs that was created by the OEM when the computer got built!

What is the solution to that both Pussy and Crunchbang need to have their live directories for themselves on that partition?

sickgut

#434 Post by sickgut »

aarf wrote:Update the first post
im kinda not gonna make a big deal about this incremental release, only when ive updated the other files etc that i need to release a complete ISO and usb .img file will i update it all etc. possibly in a few days to a week it will all be fixed up and a complete new ISO uploaded, then we will like officially change over to the new version and the old one will be removed or placed in an "old" dir of the website etc.

also when the new ISO is released i will post here but i plan on moving over to a dedicated pussy linux forum as its become very clear that pussy will develop on its own rather than become part of the puppy lineup and its probably starting to be a little rude of me to use the puppy forums for pussy.

john3voltas started a pussy linux forum and its all there ready to move in, also he made the #pussylinux chat channel on irc freenode. one of these days im going to have to write decent documentation but im not very good at wording stuff, its been said i type things in a strange order like "yoda" to construct my sentences, i think learning romanian a few years ago messed up my grammar and i tend to use a thousand words but never really completely get accross the point im meaning too so i may need some help with this. Maybe i can type out the documentation and someone else can proof read and correct it to make it more effective.

what i like about being a debian based distro that leeches off repos is once we have laid the foundation for pussy, it only has to be done once... as when new versions of debian are released we just replace everything with the new packages and we can reuse all the custom stuff we have made. i believe we are maybe 60% there already.
the OS will kinda look after itself once its all completed and upgrading all the packages to wheezy or whatever the next version of debian is will be a quick and easy affair.

saintless

#435 Post by saintless »

nooby wrote:Saintless you and I can compete who is most noob.[/b]
Hi, nooby,
I don,t compete with anyone. I am a newbie in linux, so I read what I can find for any problem I have and try to solve it.
I don't know how to setup Grub like you do. I don't know how to make a pet from source. I don't know many other things and I hope I'll learn more in time. :wink:

For the booting pussy from NTFS partition problem with RW I don't know how to help you.
For the problem with live-rw file used from two OS maybe someone will give more information if this is forbidden. If it does not make any damages to any of the OS, it is not a problem at all.
If it will damage the systems the solution for now is to rename one of the live-rw file from puppy linux before booting Pussy or Crunchbang, untill someone solve the problem.

nooby

#436 Post by nooby »

oops it is the live directory that is the problem too.

I guess the casper-rw file which is a file not a directory can be placed inside the live directory and that way one such for Pussy and another such for Crunchbang.

Maybe I wrote casper dir when I meant live directory and messed it all up?

Now not to tease Sickgut as bad as the Lothing guy did but if Pussy and Crunchbang refuse to let me edit a menu.lst file then what usage are them anyway. Just friendly teasing.

LMDE for now do let me do that. And it accept that I boot the casper or live dir inside a LMDE directory and not need to have it on its own.

PS Maybe LMDE read my bragging about how well it works and them come up with a patch that shut down the saving. I mean this is Real Linux so you should not be allowed to save things that easy.

Only Puppy should allow such due to it being a small Puppy.

saintless

#437 Post by saintless »

nooby wrote:Maybe I wrote casper dir when I meant live directory and messed it all up?
No, nooby,
I didn't read your post careful enough. You wrote about live directory problem, not live-rw.
Sickgut already wrote in this topic on page 27 for successful change of the name from /live to /pussy, so this should fix your problem.

Best regards!

nooby

#438 Post by nooby »

now that you remind me he actually did. I need to take a good look at that one then. Thanks for reminding me.

What is your hunch on the ntfs-3g thing then. Both Pussy and Crunchbang
fails to allow for saving on the same partition that I boot from.

Them have suggested things on the Crunchbang forum but I fail to get what them say. Too technical. I am not only a noob I am computer challenged too. :)
I try to find links first usr KitCarSick that actually solve it but I still fail to get what he did to solve it.

http://crunchbanglinux.org/forums/topic ... rmissions/

and here is my naive thread.
http://crunchbanglinux.org/forums/topic ... hat-to-do/

A kind user links to this
http://wiki.debian.org/NTFS

As if him expect me will know what to do after reading that one.
Yes it was very interesting read I must say. Like a Detective book Spiy book or something. One get that it is complicated when one have no clue but very easy if one get how it is done. Super easy even I trust!

nooby

#439 Post by nooby »

saintless wrote:Thank you, sickgut and john3voltas,
Adding live-media-path=/pussy in Grub and changing the name on the live directory didn't work for me. I'll run some test whit the optional commands.
Sickgut, take your time and don't hurry. We will wait for the beta version.
Thank's for what you are doing for us!
Did you sort this out later then?

Now I get very confused.

Sickgut suggested that one can change the name of live to pussy of one remember to change the media. What is the media him refers to?
okay I do a test now. [/quote]

saintless

#440 Post by saintless »

Nooby, his is the useful link witch solved the RW problem for KitCarSick:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=872197

It is about changing /etc/fstab using one of those two programs: ntfs-config or Storage Device Manager (pysdm).
I'm not familiar with them but you can read the information in the link and do some experiments.

Edit:
nooby wrote:
saintless wrote:Thank you, sickgut and john3voltas,
Adding live-media-path=/pussy in Grub and changing the name on the live directory didn't work for me. I'll run some test whit the optional commands.
Sickgut, take your time and don't hurry. We will wait for the beta version.
Thank's for what you are doing for us!
Did you sort this out later then?

Now I get very confused.

Sickgut suggested that one can change the name of live to pussy of one remember to change the media. What is the media him refers to?
okay I do a test now.
I didn't try to change the live directory name anymore, because it doesn't matter for me what will be the name. I'm sure sickgut will give more details how he did it when he has time.