Dpup482-beta5 testing

dejan555

#421 Post by dejan555 »

puppy.b0x.me stuff mirrored [url=https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_Mb589v0iCXNnhSZWRwd3R2UWs]HERE[/url] or [url=http://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_puppy.b0x.me_mirror]HERE[/url]

musher0

#422 Post by musher0 »

Hello, people!

I've just made it so the compass script described on p. 27 can be called from the rxvt menu, as an extension of it. Updated pet uploaded.

It's simply amazing what you discover when you push a configuration just a little bit further!

Enjoy!

=-=-=
Incidentally, gposil, if you feel this is useful and worthy of uploading to ibiblio, go ahead. I think the script is mature enough, I'm happy with it.

BFN
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

01micko

#423 Post by 01micko »

Hi Christian

I did put in the in the script that I hacked the theme in a comment with a mention of ttuuxxx but I forgot that I replaced the script! :oops: I will upload the pet again in about ten minutes.

I'll put the man pages back in the tint2 package and re-upload that too. It is supposed to automatically copy a directory to /,config/tint2 , with the tint2rc file inside.. maybe that fails? I'll add that to the readme in case it does fail. I don't know what that pango error is in your screeny.. I don't get that error. I think you can create and autostart.sh script for tint2, but I'll have to check up on that.

I'll leave a message when I have re-uploadded the pets

Ok, new pets are up

Mick
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

musher0

#424 Post by musher0 »

Hi, 01micko.

Ok, got everything right with both!

As you said, tint2 works fine with its tint2rc file under /root/.config/tint2. I did have to put it there myself, though... the program doesn't do it automatically on first run.

"pango" was offended by the French accented character "é" in "décembre", so I removed the reference to the month (%b). I know this will work in French for all months and days. However, I'm not sure if other Latin languages have accents in the name of their weekdays. (For some reason, I'm thinking of Portuguese here, which I can only read, and VERY slowly.) In any case, a simple mention of the possible problem should be honest enough! :)

See below how this little config looks like now. Maybe offer this, below, as an alternative for users of locales with accented vowels. The loss of month info doesn't matter much since the date/time button is coupled with orage or some other calendar anyway through a simple mouse click.
[...]

Code: Select all

#---------------------------------------------
# CLOCK
time1_format = %H:%M
# :%S # append to above to add seconds
time1_font = sans 10
# was 8
time2_format = %A %d 
# %B # Removed because may create errors for certain locales
time2_font = sans 8
clock_font_color = #ffffff 76
clock_padding = 1 0
clock_background_id = 0
clock_lclick_command = xclock
# un-commenting suggested 
clock_rclick_command = minixcal-jwm
# suggested instead of orage?
[...]
(excerpt from tint2rc)
=-=-=-=-=
I also find the fonts extremely small, but of course I operate on a desktop with 1280x1024 screen resolution, so that doesn't apply if this config is intended for use on a Triple E.

Hope that helps. I think that tint2 is a welcome addition, BTW. Good job! 8)

On the subject of the pekwm theme, ok, spotted the mention of your work in the theme script. Re-uploading main pekwm now, with it.

BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

musher0

#425 Post by musher0 »

Hello again, 01micko.

Just found this same problem for gnunet:
2°) le message d'erreur parle d'UTF-8, as-tu installé les Locales utf-8 et tout ce qui va avec ?
[Transl. : 2nd) The error message talks about utf-8. Have you installed the utf-8 locales and all that comes with them?]
here
http://linuxfr.org/forums/15/18007.html

Ok, that sheds some light. So it's not your fault at all, and not a compiling error.

In Puppy we are reticent to use utf-8 locales since BK discovered that they slow down the processes too much. But then, let's be honest and let other locale users know about this Puppy default. Besides, utf-8 can still be activated when choosing the locale if you tick the box at the bottom of the locale-choosing panel.

A trade-off, I suppose: speed and a little inconvenience now and then in the display of your accented characters, or a little less speed and no inconvenience. In other words: which inconvenience do you prefer? (;-/) (Hey! Where's the tongue-in-cheek smiley?!)

BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

MinHundHettePerro

#426 Post by MinHundHettePerro »

musher0 wrote:... "pango" was offended by the French accented character "é" in "décembre", so I removed the reference to the month (%b)....
On, perhaps, a similar note; during 4.20/1 development I tried out a few of the pwidget scripts, and they generally put out a "blotch" instead of any of the intended Swedish characters (åäö) whenever I tried to output something in my native lingo. Until, I just, simply, using Geany, chose to re-encode the script-files into 8859-1 instead of the default UTF-8.

Could be a related issue, or not :) :).

FWIW :)/
MHHP
[color=green]Celeron 2.8 GHz, 1 GB, i82845, many ptns, modes 12, 13
Dual Xeon 3.2 GHz, 1 GB, nvidia quadro nvs 285[/color]
Slackos & 214X, ... and Q6xx
[color=darkred]Nämen, vaf....[/color] [color=green]ln -s /dev/null MHHP[/color]

musher0

#427 Post by musher0 »

Hello, MHHP

Yes, I've learned the trick the hard way and even had more than an e-mail discussion with a distinguished French from France puppy-ist that ended with me flaming about the battles of 1812 that our respective countries had on our respective continents. Let's just say that did not go well! I'll spare you the story!

In any case, you are right, such errors can usually be corrected by changing the character codes through Geany from utf-8 to iso-8859-1. Except with this taskbar, tint2, there is no text to edit! It outputs directly to the screen!

In Swedish, do your weekdays' and months' names have accented characters?

BFN.

PS. It's been a long day, so musher0 out until tomorrow (EST / HNE time).
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

MinHundHettePerro

#428 Post by MinHundHettePerro »

musher0 wrote:In Swedish, do your weekdays' and months' names have accented characters?.
OK, haven't tried the package out, yet, but, since three out of seven of our weekdays have our accented Swedish characters, I will, out of curiosity, test it out shortly.

Cheers & Fwiw :)/
MHHP
[color=green]Celeron 2.8 GHz, 1 GB, i82845, many ptns, modes 12, 13
Dual Xeon 3.2 GHz, 1 GB, nvidia quadro nvs 285[/color]
Slackos & 214X, ... and Q6xx
[color=darkred]Nämen, vaf....[/color] [color=green]ln -s /dev/null MHHP[/color]

gposil

#429 Post by gposil »

Here is a small update to the Puppy Package Manager, that allows you to see the BuidingBlock list in the Libraries section. This update also updates the repo packages for Dpup, so do restart after installation.

http://dpup.org/test/dpup482beta5-2.6.3 ... e-dpup.pet

Cheers
Guy
[img]http://gposil.netne.net/images/tlp80.gif[/img] [url=http://www.dpup.org][b]Dpup Home[/b][/url]

01micko

#430 Post by 01micko »

I have finished (well apart from others testing :lol: ) my new program pupRadio (including pupTelly). It's smaller and more versatile than pupTV and Pstreamvid.... er not saying it's better! :lol:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 420#371420

Enjoy

musher0

#431 Post by musher0 »

Q.: If we've defined $CURRENTWM as per 01micko's famous one-liner or BK's one in .xinit, is this a valid statement in bash?

[ `which jwm2$CURRENTWM` ] && jwm2$CURRENTWM
Or do the single quotes prevent proper definition (or interfere) in the first part of the statement?

If the answer is yes, we could save a line or two in plinej's fixmenus and make duplicate fixmenus useless for each WM. (Save the space on disk, I mean: we could have only one fixmenus script for all WM's. Also save on processing time, since fixmenus would process on a per need basis, for only one WM at a time.

Thanks in advance.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

musher0

#432 Post by musher0 »

musher0 wrote: [...]

# CLOCK
time1_format = %H:%M
# :%S # append to above to add seconds
time1_font = sans 10
# was 8
time2_format = %A %d 
# %B # Removed because may create errors for certain locales
time2_font = sans 8
clock_font_color = #ffffff 76
clock_padding = 1 0
clock_background_id = 0
clock_lclick_command = xclock
# un-commenting suggested 
clock_rclick_command = minixcal-jwm
# suggested instead of orage?
[...]
(excerpt from tint2rc)
To 01micko (the dev), to MHHP and other users of locales other than English, the solution to the incorrect display of accented vowels or characters in tint2 might be NOT to fight it! :twisted:

I tried changing my locale from fr_CA to fr_CA-UTF-8 in dpup's choose locale panel (see under "Desktop" submenu). Same results as previously in tint2. Puppy distros have always been moderately frustrating in this regard. However, in this case (tint2)...

... the use of the international ISO date display standard solves the problem. In computing, in pretty much every PIM I've seen, including java ones, that ISO standard for dates is coded as:
%Y:%m:%d
for
year (long form):month:date
So %Y:%m:%d for today will correctly display in tint2:
2009:12:13

If you want the short form for the year, you'd use the code
%y:%m:%d
which will display, e.g.
09:12:13

Conclusion: If your locale causes problems with time display in text form in tint2, you may want to type the following in the tintrc file under the "clock" section.

time2_format = %Y:%m:%d
# above: International ISO date format
# %A %d %B
# %B # may create errors for certain locales
Problem solved! :D
BFN
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

dejan555

#433 Post by dejan555 »

For fluxbox users I've put together a little pet with 10 additional styles, some of them I made, also Azenis theme ported to fluxbox by Rupp and others are from box-look and tenr.de <-- this site has a lot of flux styles
Anyway these ten are my favs: 10FluxStyles.pet
puppy.b0x.me stuff mirrored [url=https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_Mb589v0iCXNnhSZWRwd3R2UWs]HERE[/url] or [url=http://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_puppy.b0x.me_mirror]HERE[/url]

01micko

#434 Post by 01micko »

musher0 wrote:Q.: If we've defined $CURRENTWM as per 01micko's famous one-liner or BK's one in .xinit, is this a valid statement in bash?

[ `which jwm2$CURRENTWM` ] && jwm2$CURRENTWM
Or do the single quotes prevent proper definition (or interfere) in the first part of the statement?

If the answer is yes, we could save a line or two in plinej's fixmenus and make duplicate fixmenus useless for each WM. (Save the space on disk, I mean: we could have only one fixmenus script for all WM's. Also save on processing time, since fixmenus would process on a per need basis, for only one WM at a time.

Thanks in advance.
Hmmm...

When you call "which" , as I understand it, it looks in your executable path for an app/script. The output (stdout) is /path/to/executable, for example, /usr/bin/shutdown if you called "which shutdown". I'm not sure how it works, but if if say the script jwm2pekwm exists, and pekwm is your current widowmanager, then just

VAR=`which jwm2$CURRENTWM`
[ "$VAR" != "" ] 
should be enough to determine that file's existence, of course the variable CURRENTWM must have been defined somehow!!! The test brackets would bork that, no quotes needed, or more correctly what you have are back ticks, they do a different job.

I'm not quite sure what you are trying here... more info?

Cheers[/code]

musher0

#435 Post by musher0 »

Hi, 01micko,

Thanks much for the explanation / example of which use (not which-craft !) :twisted:

I'll be quoting in the old BBS way, sometimes it's more to the point:

[...]
> say the script jwm2pekwm exists, and pekwm is your current widowmanager, then just
> which jwm2$CURRENTWM
> should be enough to determine that file's existence,

Ok, now I understand. Thanks for the example.

> of course the variable CURRENTWM must have been defined somehow!!!

Yep, we'd be doing that with your one-liner or BK's longer form, whichever is more appropriate to the situation.

> The test brackets would bork that, no quotes needed, or more correctly what you have are back ticks, they do a different job.

"back ticks", eh? I knew of French quotation marks (<< some words >>), English quotation marks ("some words"), and German quotation marks (' some words '). The latter called also single quotes.

You learn something new every day... and some people think life is boring! In any case, how do you type them in, I mean the key combination?

> I'm not quite sure what you are trying here... more info?

Well, I'm trying to bring peace between WM's in Puppy. :D So all users can use whatever WM they like on Puppy without problems. (At this point, the choir sings: "Joy to the World!" [music break!]) :)

If you're using only one and the same WM, of course, there are no problems.

But if you're using say, pekwm, and you want to go back to jwm for some reason, and back to pekwm, e.g., as I reported earlier, without the modification in fixmenus, you'll be left with only the puppy stuff in the pekwm menu, as you noticed.

Ok, I did find a way around that in the case of pekwm, as previously reported: a modified copy of fixmenus. However, this also means an extra 1.5 k for pekwm. Now, if, say, fluxbox needs a similar mod, we have to add another 1.5 k for that modification. Or wmx, another 1.5 k. Getting my drift? I want to avoid having in your pupsave file a whole nursery of little fixmenus serving each a different WM.

In addition, plinej's addition to fixmenus processes all menus: this means more process time. (Mind you he did a fine job of discovering the trick, so no criticism at all is intended, it's just an observation. If plinej had not discovered this trick, we wouldn't be here discussing this -- and the trick would still be begging to be invented.)

Now, if, as you imply, a statement such as

* define CURRENTWM
* exec jwm2$CURRENTWM
or similar,

will work, we can avoid the multiplication of fixmenu rabbits! (Rabbits are cute and I wish them to "grow and multiply", of course, but you get the point!)

But back to serious mode. With a statement such as the one above, we can target the process of fixmenus for the WM in use, we have only one fixmenus, and as a bonus, the user waits less time for his menu to be updated. Another very important advantage would be that the menu(s) of the other WM's on your machine won't be tampered with every time a particular WM uses fixmenus.

Any other questions, I'm here!
BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

musher0

#436 Post by musher0 »

Another programming question.

In scalc you can replace this statement

(if (name="musher0");then(=2+2), else(=0))

[not the exact syntax, can't remember just now]

with the more compact
((name="musher0")*(2+2))

[this statement I remember to be valid]

Which means: if the name statement is true then we multiply (2+2) by 1; if not, we multiply by zero. Same function and results as the if-then-else statement, but in less characters.

Anything comparable in bash?

Thanks in advance.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

01micko

#437 Post by 01micko »

#musher0 is a file in a /root
if [  "/root/musher0" ]; then echo $((1+1)) ; fi
outputs "2"

if /root/musher0 doesn't exist the there is no output. TIP, watch the spaces :wink:

musher0

#438 Post by musher0 »

Thanks, Mick.

Getting somewhere, this works, yay!!! :D

if [ `ps -C lxpanel | tail -c 8` ];then
    lxpanelctl config
fi
This too !

if [ `ps -C lxpanel | tail -c 8` ];then
    lxpanelctl xrun || lxpanelctl config
fi
Onto something here...
Bye!
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

Iguleder

#439 Post by Iguleder »

Here's my first contribution ... :wink:
A tiny SSH client/server, about 190 KB installed, depends on zlib. I also included /etc/dropbear (to store keys) and /etc/init.d/dropbear, that starts/stops/restarts the SSH server easily.

I compiled it as a multi-binary (one binary and symlinks, like BusyBox), that saves lots of space.

(btw, gposil, can you PM me with details how to use the dpup.org FTP?)

Configured with:
./configure --build=i686-pc-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc CFLAGS="-march=i686 -mtune=i686 -Os -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections LDFLAGS=-Wl,--gc-sections

dropbear-0.52-i686-dpup|dropbear|0.52-i686-dpup||BuildingBlock|228K|pet_packages-5|dropbear-0.52-i686-dpup.pet|+zlib|A tiny SSH client and server|debian|lenny|official|

I also uploaded AdvanceCOMP, a recompressor for PNG and GZ. It can be used to recompress archives and files, useful to keep dpup's size down. Works with small files only.

./configure --build=i686-pc-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc CFLAGS="-march=i686 -mtune=i686 -O3“
Attachments
dropbear-0.52-i686-dpup.pet
(96.36 KiB) Downloaded 313 times

gposil

#440 Post by gposil »

Iguleder,

Thank you for the contibution, you may not be aware that Dpup already has an SSH client(Putty).
[img]http://gposil.netne.net/images/tlp80.gif[/img] [url=http://www.dpup.org][b]Dpup Home[/b][/url]