Carolina: Vanguard Edition Release 2 December 2014

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
starhawk

#406 Post by starhawk »

A later version works fine on the desktop. The mystery is, why doesn't it work with the exact same setup anywhere else?

starhawk

#407 Post by starhawk »

Another clue. Maybe.

I keep seeing this whenever I drop into text mode and go back to GUI --

Code: Select all

10130 ?        Ss 0:00 dbus-daemon
It's only up for a split second before XWin kicks in... local guru guy says that it means dbus-daemon is in sleep mode.

Maybe that's the problem? Dunno.

starhawk

#408 Post by starhawk »

...and, answer. Not what I was imagining, to say the least.

Both the netbook and the Dell laptop are Intel based. My desktop is AMD based. On a lark (and a suggestion from my local guru friend), I tried running Caro Vanguard and Chromium on my mother's desktop as well -- it's an AMD Compaq -- and it worked.

So it's an AMD vs Intel thing. AMD works, Intel does not.

Very interesting.

starhawk

#409 Post by starhawk »

Hey battleshooter, when you get a minute --

Can you tell me if your computer that you compiled the glibc and kernel updates on, for Vanguard, is AMD or Intel based...? (what CPU manufacturer)

That might help with this.

starhawk

#410 Post by starhawk »

Final note on this for a while, unless someone actually bothers to respond -- which, at this point I'm really not expecting...

Downloaded the Google Chrome to dotPET script (aka Chrome2Pet, too lazy to link right now, sorry) and while it didn't run properly on Caro Vanguard, I got it to work in another Pup and copied the resulting Chrome dotPET over.

I'm typing from it now. I had to disable sandboxing (which ticks it off enough to complain at me) to get past a problem with the Native Client -- but it DOES work.

Seems to me then that it's the packages. It's not Vanguard, it's not Puppy, it's the source of the packages. That would be a guy named alienbob -- who packages Chromium for Slackware. peebee tells me that he repackages alienbob's TXZs. (For the record, I emailed alienbob about this, and he was actually rather nasty to me. I'm glad I don't run Slackware, since I'd have to deal with him far more often if I did.)

I think it's about time someone started doing proper compiling of Chromium specifically for Puppy... to be entirely honest, if I were able to do it myself I'd already be doing it. I can't :(

johnywhy

#411 Post by johnywhy »

hi

Wine says these are missing:

liblcms2.so.2
libmpg123.so.0
libldap_r-2.4.so.2 liblber-2.4.so.2
libgettextpo.so.0
libgettextpo.so.0

they are not available in the lina ppm.

should i get these from ubuntu, slackware, arch, or.... ?

wine-1.6.2-i486_v1.1.pet installed from green dome's repo
http://version2013.yolasite.com/page1.php#wine-1.6.2

on vlina-r2, of course.

thx!

also asked here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 830#843830

Geoffrey

#412 Post by Geoffrey »

johnywhy wrote:hi

Wine says these are missing:

liblcms2.so.2
libmpg123.so.0
libldap_r-2.4.so.2 liblber-2.4.so.2
libgettextpo.so.0
libgettextpo.so.0

they are not available in the lina ppm.
They are in the ppm

search for:

lcms2
mpg123
openldap
gettext-tools
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]
[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ahfade8q4def1lq/signbot.gif[/img]

johnywhy

#413 Post by johnywhy »

Geoffrey wrote:They are in the ppm
search for:
lcms2
mpg123
openldap
gettext-tools
thx, G!
[b]Now[/b]: X-Tahr 2.0! StretchDog! DevuanDog!
[b]Tops[/b]: TarhNOP Vlina-R2 Racy
[b]Used[/b]: Puppeee Precise Lucid Wary Tahrpup Quirky Slacko MacPup Saluki Puppy Studio LxPupTarh Lina-Lite Lina
[i]i ♥ Puppy[/i]

zagreb999

zagreb3.iso

#414 Post by zagreb999 »

soon!

---------------

zagreb3.iso

xfce 4.10-4.12

thunar 1.6

puppyzagreb

kernel latest 4.0

based on vlina

!!!!!!!!!!three times fastest than vlina!!!!!!!!!!!

regards.[img]

soon!

---------------

zagreb3.iso

xfce 4.10-4.12

thunar 1.6

puppyzagreb

kernel latest 4.0

based on vlina

!!!!!!!!!!three times fastest than vlina!!!!!!!!!!!

regards.

[/img]

starhawk

#415 Post by starhawk »

zagreb, please stop posting in this thread about versions of Puppy other than Carolina Vanguard.

I will be glad to PM Flash if you need assistance with this.

zagreb999

vanguard carolina

#416 Post by zagreb999 »

IT IS VANGUARD CAROLINA!
REGARDS.

starhawk

#417 Post by starhawk »

It is not. It has a different name and set of features. It's your own remix.

If I see another ad from you in here, I *will* report it.

Also, typing in all caps is the Internet way of shouting. Indoor voices, please!

johnywhy

Re: vanguard carolina

#418 Post by johnywhy »

zagreb999 wrote:IT IS VANGUARD CAROLINA!.
ETP wrote:It is based on Slacko 5.9.3 and uses Stemsee’s 3.19.2-EmSee-32-pae (i686) kernel.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 007#842007
that does not sound like it has any connection to Vlina.
[b]Now[/b]: X-Tahr 2.0! StretchDog! DevuanDog!
[b]Tops[/b]: TarhNOP Vlina-R2 Racy
[b]Used[/b]: Puppeee Precise Lucid Wary Tahrpup Quirky Slacko MacPup Saluki Puppy Studio LxPupTarh Lina-Lite Lina
[i]i ♥ Puppy[/i]

LazY Puppy

#419 Post by LazY Puppy »

Hi.

I'm currently doing some work using Carolina Vanguard.

Had to fix the settings of Geany to be able to execute scripts from within geany.

Now it works, the scripts are executed as usual, but all the scripts do give terminal message below:

Code: Select all

Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/30-metric-aliases.conf", line 84: Having multiple <family> in <alias> isn't supported and may not work as expected
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/30-metric-aliases.conf", line 84: Having multiple <family> in <alias> isn't supported and may not work as expected
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/30-metric-aliases.conf", line 93: Having multiple <family> in <alias> isn't supported and may not work as expected
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/30-metric-aliases.conf", line 93: Having multiple <family> in <alias> isn't supported and may not work as expected
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/30-metric-aliases.conf", line 102: Having multiple <family> in <alias> isn't supported and may not work as expected
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/30-metric-aliases.conf", line 102: Having multiple <family> in <alias> isn't supported and may not work as expected
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/40-nonlatin.conf", line 33: Having multiple <family> in <alias> isn't supported and may not work as expected
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/40-nonlatin.conf", line 33: Having multiple <family> in <alias> isn't supported and may not work as expected
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/40-nonlatin.conf", line 60: Having multiple <family> in <alias> isn't supported and may not work as expected
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/40-nonlatin.conf", line 60: Having multiple <family> in <alias> isn't supported and may not work as expected
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/40-nonlatin.conf", line 69: Having multiple <family> in <alias> isn't supported and may not work as expected
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/40-nonlatin.conf", line 69: Having multiple <family> in <alias> isn't supported and may not work as expected
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/40-nonlatin.conf", line 80: Having multiple <family> in <alias> isn't supported and may not work as expected
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/40-nonlatin.conf", line 80: Having multiple <family> in <alias> isn't supported and may not work as expected
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/40-nonlatin.conf", line 89: Having multiple <family> in <alias> isn't supported and may not work as expected
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/45-latin.conf", line 23: Having multiple <family> in <alias> isn't supported and may not work as expected
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/45-latin.conf", line 23: Having multiple <family> in <alias> isn't supported and may not work as expected
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/45-latin.conf", line 39: Having multiple <family> in <alias> isn't supported and may not work as expected
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/45-latin.conf", line 39: Having multiple <family> in <alias> isn't supported and may not work as expected
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/45-latin.conf", line 56: Having multiple <family> in <alias> isn't supported and may not work as expected
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/45-latin.conf", line 56: Having multiple <family> in <alias> isn't supported and may not work as expected
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/45-latin.conf", line 66: Having multiple <family> in <alias> isn't supported and may not work as expected
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/45-latin.conf", line 66: Having multiple <family> in <alias> isn't supported and may not work as expected
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/45-latin.conf", line 75: Having multiple <family> in <alias> isn't supported and may not work as expected
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/45-latin.conf", line 75: Having multiple <family> in <alias> isn't supported and may not work as expected
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/53-monospace-lcd-filter.conf", line 10: Having multiple values in <test> isn't supported and may not work as expected
How to get rid of this / fix this?

Thanks
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

Geoffrey

#420 Post by Geoffrey »

@LazY Puppy
I compiled fontconfig-2.11.1 and freetype-2.5.5, see if that fixes it for you.

fontconfig-2.11.1-i486.pet

fontconfig_DEV-2.11.1-i486.pet

fontconfig_DOC-2.11.1-i486.pet

freetype-2.5.5-i486.pet

freetype_DEV-2.5.5-i486.pet

freetype_DOC-2.5.5-i486.pet

As usual, use at your own peril :wink: no need to install the DEV and DOC pet's
Everything appears to be working fine for me.
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]

LazY Puppy

#421 Post by LazY Puppy »

Geoffrey wrote:@LazY Puppy
I compiled fontconfig-2.11.1 and freetype-2.5.5, see if that fixes it for you.

fontconfig_DEV-2.11.1-i486.pet

fontconfig_DOC-2.11.1-i486.pet

freetype-2.5.5-i486.pet

freetype_DEV-2.5.5-i486.pet

freetype_DOC-2.5.5-i486.pet

As usual, use at your own peril :wink: no need to install the DEV and DOC pet's
Everything appears to be working fine for me.
Thanks a lot! :)

Downloaded. Will test and report later.
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

LazY Puppy

#422 Post by LazY Puppy »

After installing the files:

freetype-2.5.5-i486.pet

almost all of the Warnings are gone - except a single Warning still appears.
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/53-monospace-lcd-filter.conf", line 10: Having multiple values in <test> isn't supported and may not work as expected
RSH

Geoffrey

#423 Post by Geoffrey »

LazY Puppy wrote:After installing the files:

freetype-2.5.5-i486.pet

almost all of the Warnings are gone - except a single Warning still appears.
Cool, thanks for testing that.

I don't have "/etc/fonts/conf.d/53-monospace-lcd-filter.conf" in my install. maybe this fix will help
http://cixtor.com/blog/fontconfig-warning

LazY Puppy

#424 Post by LazY Puppy »

This seems to fix it.

Though there is another issue about this.

When installing the packages, almost all the messages are gone. But when extracting the packages and copying their contents manually into the extracted vlina.sfs and rebuilding it, all the messages still appear after a reboot.

Do I need to do anything else when copying contents manually into the extracted vlina.sfs?
RSH

Geoffrey

#425 Post by Geoffrey »

@LazY Puppy,

I don't get any errors at all, even before I built these packages, there is no special install method, thought I didn't use the pet packages as I used new2dir make install.

I have no idea what the problem could be, maybe something isn't being replaced when loading a sfs :?, or it's conflicting with something I don't have on my system.