Light-Debian-Core-Live-CD-Wheezy + Porteus-Wheezy

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
rcrsn51

#4001 Post by rcrsn51 »

Here is a version of PeasyGlue to test. All the "export -f" bashisms have been removed and the functions have been combined into a file.

However, the functions themselves may contain bashisms that won't run in dash. It will NOT run in Puppy if the shell is changed to ash.
Attachments
peasyglue-1.9.pet
(5.48 KiB) Downloaded 154 times

saintless

#4002 Post by saintless »

anikin wrote:Toni,

I want to completely remove the /.wallpapers folder and can't find out where it gets called from.
It is called from Terry's /opt/bin/wallpapers.gui changing wallpapers for each desktop utility. It has Wallpapers icon on the desktop. Starting /opt/bin/wallpapers.gui will create again /root/.wallpapers.

Toni

saintless

#4003 Post by saintless »

Hi, Fred.

Just for information the reboot/shutdown from user account instruction is here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 349#814349
I think it is the easiest way to do it (the Debian way) for live-boot and porteus-boot. If someone else asks the same question we have the answer.

Toni

anikin

#4004 Post by anikin »

Hi everybody,

rcrsn51,
Peasyglue-1.9 starts well but faults (with dash as default):

Code: Select all

root@debian:~# peasyglue
sh: 1: source: not found
sh: 1: GLUE: not found
Toni,
Removed wallpapers.gui, but /.wallpapers directory gets re-created on x restart

-e 
###  ERROR:  No Default Wallpaper Found:  /root/desktop.jpg
where does this come from?

rcrsn51

#4005 Post by rcrsn51 »

@anikin: Have you put the "functions" file in the right place? It wants to be in the folder /usr/local/peasyglue.

gtkdialog3 -i /usr/local/peasyglue/functions -c -p PROG

anikin

#4006 Post by anikin »

Yes, it's there:

root@debian:/usr/local/peasyglue# ls
functions  peasyglue  spacer16.pnm  spacer32.pnm  spacer8.pnm
root@debian:/usr/local/peasyglue# 

rcrsn51

#4007 Post by rcrsn51 »

Then I guess you need full bash to make these Puppy gtkdialog apps work.

anikin

#4008 Post by anikin »

Yes, accept the inevitable, it's an unfortunate choice - the system under dash is so much snappier, boot time is quicker, dash is ~ 90 K vs bash ~ 900 K. Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

saintless

#4009 Post by saintless »

anikin wrote:Toni,
Removed wallpapers.gui, but /.wallpapers directory gets re-created on x restart

-e 
###  ERROR:  No Default Wallpaper Found:  /root/desktop.jpg
where does this come from?
Hi, Anikin.
It comes from deleting files without knowing what application needs them. I guess you deleted also /root/desktop.jpg symlink for default wallpaper needed for /opt/bin/wallapapers.gui

I don't know why you like to remove the option for different wallpaper on each desktop. It does not use any ram or cpu and the files are only few KB.
DebianDog-Jwm has 4 different wallpapers for each desktop activated for root and puppy user. Click on the Wallpapers icon (or type in terminal wallpapers.gui) and stop wallpapers changing from Stop Wallpapers button. This will write Run=off inside /root/.desktop.conf
Now you can delete /root/.wallpapers folder and it will not be created again after restarting X. if you like to remove wallpapers changing files delete also /root/.desktop.conf and the menu files from /usr/share/applications and /usr/share/menu and check the related files from this archive:
http://smokey01.com/saintless/source-co ... Papers.zip
Find them in /opt/bin and delete them.
Delete also .wallpapers and .desktop.conf in /home/puppy and /etc/skel
There is no deb package for walpapers.gui and you will have to add all files manually in case you like to have it working again.

Edit: The message about missing desktop.jpg could be also from jwm configuration in case rox pinboard icons are not active. I think it was the default name for wallpaper in jwm but maybe I'm wrong. You can add any picture /root/desktop.jpg

Toni

anikin

#4010 Post by anikin »

Hi Toni,

Not that I really want to remove it, rather this sleep issue is bugging me . I think (correct me) because of this complicated wallpaper arrangement this desktop delay is happening and sleep has to be set. I'll check how it's done in Puppy.

saintless

#4011 Post by saintless »

anikin wrote: I think (correct me) because of this complicated wallpaper arrangement this desktop delay is happening and sleep has to be set.
No, wallpapers.gui has nothing to do with this.
Sleep 2 line is added in /root/startup to let rox pinboard, frisbee, volumeicon and scripts in /root/Startup to finish before desktop_drive_icons starts.
/opt/bin/wallpapers.gui is not one of the scripts started from /root/startup
Just use Stop Wallpapers button to see if there is any change, but I think it will not make any difference.

Toni

anikin

#4012 Post by anikin »

desktop_drive_icons starts - I haven't seen them for a long time, can't even remember how they look :)
DD doesn't need them. Why have you and Fred spent your precious time on mount-wizard?

saintless

#4013 Post by saintless »

Well, I like desktop-drive-icons but they are actually included only in jwm version. DebianDog Jwm desktop looks much like Puppy desktop with desktop-drive-icons active and I still like to keep Jwm version puppy lookalike as much as possible. :)

fredx181

#4014 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Toni,
Just for information the reboot/shutdown from user account instruction is here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 349#814349
Nice work, I've read sometimes about "wheel" group but didn't know exactly what's the use for it.
I'll test your new setup in the next days for possible complications with porteus-boot (e.g. save on exit).

Shall I edit 'add-new-user' script and add group wheel?, then the new setup works for every user I think.

Fred

fredx181

#4015 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Anikin,
desktop_drive_icons starts - I haven't seen them for a long time, can't even remember how they look
How is that possible you didn't notice then? It's there all the time (long time) new versions were released!
On OpenBox version it's a little different, btw, it's provided by xfdesktop using pup-volume-monitor.

Fred

saintless

#4016 Post by saintless »

Hi, Fred.
fredx181 wrote:Shall I edit 'add-new-user' script and add group wheel?, then the new setup works for every user I think.
No, I prefer to keep password prompt for user account in Jwm version. This is the safe choice for multiuser system. I think only KDE and Gnome use by default reboot whithout password and if I do not mistake it is done different way. Not from /etc/sudoers
But if you like to add it in OpenBox version I do not mind. It is only different setup for user account that can be changed any time from the user.

Toni

anikin

#4017 Post by anikin »

Hi Fred,

This is what I see on my desktop. I removed drive icons and pup-volume-monitor, once mount-wizard became available. Never looked back.
Attachments
mw.jpeg
(2.57 KiB) Downloaded 156 times

fredx181

#4018 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Toni.
fredx181 wrote:
Shall I edit 'add-new-user' script and add group wheel?, then the new setup works for every user I think.

No, I prefer to keep password prompt for user account in Jwm version. This is the safe choice for multiuser system. I think only KDE and Gnome use by default reboot whithout password and if I do not mistake it is done different way. Not from /etc/sudoers
Ah, I think I misunderstood, I thought you wanted to include edited /etc/sudoers in new iso release but your post in the how-to thread is just information, right?
So the same for the editing of wmpoweroff and wmreboot, no change in next release?
If it is like this it's perfectly alright for me, btw.
But if you like to add it in OpenBox version I do not mind. It is only different setup for user account that can be changed any time from the user.
Let's keep it as a rule for system-wide changes to keep things the same in both versions, I have the feeling you'd agree with that :)

Fred
Last edited by fredx181 on Fri 12 Dec 2014, 21:48, edited 1 time in total.

fredx181

#4019 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Anikin,
Why have you and Fred spent your precious time on mount-wizard?
For you :), for the challenge and for any other users who wants alternative way of using DD.
This is what I see on my desktop. I removed drive icons and pup-volume-monitor, once mount-wizard became available. Never looked back.
Please keep track also of the DD release provided by Toni.(and me for OpenBox version)
It's nice of course to build your own remastered version but this thread is about DebianDog release.

Fred

anikin

#4020 Post by anikin »

Please keep track also of the DD release provided by Toni.(and me for OpenBox version)
It's nice of course to build your own remastered version but this thread is about DebianDog release.
Fred,

I do test every release of both versions, but I don't build a remastered version of DD. I remaster because I don't use a save file and customize DD for my own needs. What makes you think I don't know what this thread is about?