XenialDog (Ubuntu 16.04 'Xenial Xerus' LTS, 32-bit)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
backi

#401 Post by backi »

Hi fred !
Sorry to say, as for my contribution on the enlightenment_dog idea, I have to put it on hold (for personal reasons, nothing to do with you)
This fits well ......I need some Time to rest too......no need to hurry......go with the flow !

fredx181

#402 Post by fredx181 »

Hi zagreb, here's the experimental MX-16_mod.iso as promised
https://drive.google.com/uc?export=down ... DVpT2p2Wm8 size: 1.3GB
DebianDog repository is activated, so you can install from it

Disclaimer, blahblahblah :?: , translation: Use at your own risk :)
But you might find it useful for your needs, it's full MX-16 OS

Probably this is as far as it goes for me, concerning Antix/MX
I predict too much problems for a real AntixDog: combining repositories and special tools to make it a stable, reliable system.

Fred

smokey01

#403 Post by smokey01 »

@fredx181: Xenialdog will not boot in Qemu although it does in VirtualBox.

Any ideas?

backi

#404 Post by backi »

Hi Zagreb !

Did install Fred` s experimental MX-16_mod.iso to Usb-Stick ......quite impressive Distro ........going to play with it.....found a new Toy :)

Greetings to Zagreb !

zagreb999

mx16

#405 Post by zagreb999 »

Greetings backi,

Does it have lz4 full?
Does quickremaster work?

Is there Frisbee?
What is your ram memory with DD and what with MX16?

Thanks.
PS: Antixdog from net install would be great,
much better!

backi

#406 Post by backi »

hi zagreb !
Not much explored til now ....
Regarding Ram Usage ....it could depend on " old " Htop or "new" Htop .....were a lot of Discussion about it here on the Thread .

Best way to find out .......put it frugally on a stick .....or frugally to Hard-Drive ....and do your research :idea:

Greetings !

fredx181

#407 Post by fredx181 »

Hi zagreb,
Does it have lz4 full?
Does quickremaster work?
Yes and yes.
Is there Frisbee?
No, network-manager-gnome, as it's offical incuded in MX-16
What is your ram memory with DD and what with MX16?
For me at initial start it's 190MB, so a lot higher than DD, probably because of much more background services, e.g. apt-notifier, bluetooth and more, but these can be disabled of course.
backi wrote:Regarding Ram Usage ....it could depend on " old " Htop or "new" Htop .....were a lot of Discussion about it here on the Thread .
Probably MX-16 has "old Htop", so can be compared to DD-Jessie (MX-16 is also based on Debian-Jessie)

Fred

mcewanw

#408 Post by mcewanw »

You are polluting this thread with off-topic material. But that's okay.

I'm in a good mood today because it is very sunny here and I'm sitting at an outdoor table in a beautiful laid back cafe writing this on my old laptop. But also because I feel optimistic now that Puppy Linux community is coming out of a sometimes very dark period, with scope for everyone to get back into what they enjoy - including XenialDog (I thus mention XenialDog just to pretend this post is on topic...).

Fact is, I somewhat disagree with our good friend Pelo. In my opinion the Puppy Community forum is primarly a playground/hobby-zone for developers - but... for developers of all abilities ranging from zero experience to as experienced as can be; a forum with the rare characteristic that everyone, despite their different levels of experience, can mutually help each other, communicate easily and without fear, enjoy each other's company, and learn from each and every other - but yes, it is also for 'Passengers' too (indeed I primarily see myself as one of these, despite my occasional flurry of attempted creativity).

Maybe I'm just suffering from sunstroke (or my coffee is too strong)?!

William
github mcewanw

backi

#409 Post by backi »

mcewanw !
Thumbs up again.

This is not just about Hardware ,Software or Linux .
Sitting here on a cold and rainy Day in my Room here in Germany .....visited New Zealand 1996 for three months ..... do miss it very much ... left a deep Impression in my Heart and in my Mind.....will never forget .

Thanks for your selfless Effort ,Patience ,Sensitivity and Humor to keep the good Spirit alive . :)

mcewanw

#410 Post by mcewanw »

Rough copy (since my original was lost by Flash deleting the Review of DebianDog thread) since it contains important information for the DebianDog community team.

I don't want to use PMs for a DebianDog-community related communication like this.
----

Disappointing.

In that now deleted DD review thread, Toni had actually been very civil and relatively thoughtful and I for one appreciate that, and frankly, many of his points are very valid IMO.

I do however believe that some of his demands are too rigid and too difficult, but then, the person he is trying to negotiate/discuss-with is avoiding talking to him, which is the responsibility his position requires.

I previously sent Toni an invitation to rejoin the DebianDog organisation github resource, which I originally created/instigated. I did not ask Fred's permission to do that because 'obviously' Toni has an equal right to be a member of that organisation. Imagining otherwise is ridiculous. Unfortunately, Fred unilaterally cancelled my invitation to Toni, which he had no right to do (though I had given him ownership permissions to the site, which technically allowed him to). In cancelling Toni's invitation to be re-instated as joint-owner, Fred, you created an unlevel, unfair, playing field.

These recent posts by Fred in the DebianDog Review thread (which Flash deleted) have at least helped me make up my mind to do what I was in any case considering, but struggling over. I have thus re-sent an invitation to Toni to rejoin the organisation.

I do realise there is a slight (unlikely) possibility that one or other of you may accidentally do something considered destructive by the other to that github resource page. Hence, to give you time to cool off (and get your professionalism back) both of you will be 'Members' of the organisations, but you will not have full site ownership permissions - so you hopefully should not be able to cancel that new invitation. That is to give you time to discuss, plan, or act on how you intend to use that resource further (which could include deleting it or cloning it or working together on it, using the contents you need for your particular project needs - sole or joint projects). But if you want to delete it or make a major modification such as renaming it, you have to work through me - despite both of you being the main project 'developers/creators'. I have however assigned Admin rights to Fred for repositories doglinux (because that is his website) and xenialdog (since that project is already a fork, which does not use the DebianDog name).

If you accept the invitation, Toni, we will all have to sort out repository admin rights for you since there is some overlap and dispute. If you could kindly identify and pull copies of the scripts you need GPL licences on I will try to arrange for them to be pushed into one of the areas Fred has admin rights to so that he can attach the licences. Though Fred has already given that GPL licence permission, I agree with Toni that it may not be okay for someone other than the scripts author to actually put the licence on. Otherwise perhaps you can just do that yourself, Toni, if you feel happy with Fred simply agreeing it.

It's not that I want this temporary DebianDog github site management role, but in an emergency situation, such as this you need an overseer to temporarily take over the keys to the castle. In fact, for the future, when I certainly don't want this role, I suggest you voluntarily create a constitution for your organisation that includes someone in that repo management rights position - rather than yourselves who in times of trouble, as evidenced by yourselves, sometimes may need protection from each other.

Anyway, that's how it is - it's my github organisation site (though I don't mean that possessively in any way at all), because I set it up and I sent you both invitations to use it. So for the moment I am the failsafe temporary manager until you get your issues sorted out. Toni has tried to open honest discussions with you, and I have tried to encourage you Fred to do so, which is what you position would professionally require.

As for the swearing/bad-language that was used on that DD review thread, I trust the forum moderator will give a first strike warning and should such re-occur (including asking people to shoot any other team mates) then murga forum registrations ought to be cancelled IMO.

William
github mcewanw

saintless

#411 Post by saintless »

Hi William.

Sorry, I didn't have any chance to follow what was the reason for the deletion of the thread. Maybe I should be glad for that.

Accepted your invitation. I have no means to delete anything or upload anything there. It is up to Fred to do what ever he likes with his commits, pages and uploads.

I will not do any DebianDog development without agreement with Fred first, so no need to point any scripts I need.

All the best.

Toni

fredx181

#412 Post by fredx181 »

saintless

#413 Post by saintless »

Hi Fred.
Pity what I read there. But I think I'm the only one who really knows how you feel, Fred. I was there too for a while thanks to you.
The project name is DebianDog and you can't kill it even if you want. I made sure to keep it pure Debian and easy upgradable to next version and It was tough fight to keep it this way. As you can see people still write about it and find it useful even two years after my last update. Lets hope you've managed to do the same.

William,
I really like to let you go and I ask you to transfer the ownership to the organisation to Fred. Then he can delete my membership or invite me later again as owner, who knows what will happen in time.

If he wants to forget the project or try to kill it - give him a chance to do it. It is his choice. Probably it is best to stop to compete with Puppy linux anyway. Especially at this moment when some team development seems to happen in the forum. DebianDog shouldn't take users away from Puppy but the opposite. Otherwise I also prefer to have the project dead.

Your part in this is over, William. Enjoy your life and let all this go, please.
Thank you again.

Toni

mcewanw

#414 Post by mcewanw »

saintless wrote: I really like to let you go and I ask you to transfer the ownership to the organisation to Fred. Then he can delete my membership or invite me later again as owner
Hi Toni,

I haven't read Fred's recently posted link.

I also have a few scripts or parts of scripts in DebianDog, which are my work so it is not a matter of me going anywhere.

As for my github site currenty named as the DebianDog organization... as I said, Fred still has full admin rights to his projects XenialDog and debdog website. If you wish him to also be given admin rights to the other DebianDog repositories I will do so once you confirm that. I am also happy to give you full admin rights to any repositories agreed between Fred and yourself.

Though it was opened as a free github site I have the Billing responsibility for it (which is the registered user 'ownership') for it through my original github registration. The bulk of its contents, though not all, is Fred's and yours, which you can both remove if you wish. Once you have taken off all that you need, you simply need to instruct me to delete my github repository copy of that data and I will do so.

As for the invite, my intervention is not necessary since any member can uninvite themselves and Fred and yourself can decide who you want to work together (or not) with anyway.

If Fred (or yourself) want Billing ownership of a site, then you must open your own. The old site will stay online and fully accessible for as long as you need it and github allows, but please both let me know when you no longer need it so I can delete the unwanted contents.

William
github mcewanw

saintless

#415 Post by saintless »

Hi William.
mcewanw wrote:If you wish him to also be given admin rights to the other DebianDog repositories I will do so once you confirm that.
Yes, i confirm that. Give him admin rights to all DebianDog repositories, please.
mcewanw wrote:Once you have taken off all that you need, you simply need to instruct me to delete my github repository copy of that data and I will do so.

...but please both let me know when you no longer need it so I can delete the unwanted contents.
I need nothing from there. I do not ask anything uploaded from me there to be deleted. Keep it or delete it is up to you or Fred. I have backup of all I need.

Toni

mcewanw

#416 Post by mcewanw »

saintless wrote:Hi William.
mcewanw wrote:If you wish him to also be given admin rights to the other DebianDog repositories I will do so once you confirm that.
Yes, i confirm that. Give him admin rights to all DebianDog repositories, please.
Toni
Hi Toni,

I have now done that.

William
github mcewanw

fredx181

#417 Post by fredx181 »

Hi William and everyone,

As you might have noticed, I have reached the point where the only thing important to me is my (mental) health, all other things come in second place.
So that's why I discontinued working on DD and closed the threads recently.
As for the github DD organization repositories (with exception of XenialDog and doglinux-website), I will not add or delete anything (I think most that's there is valuable, also the older versions), I see it as an archive (at least at this point of time), but if any owner or team member has the aspiration to make improvements, new versions or whatever, I'm absolutely fine with that (and, who knows, I might feel inspired to help :) ).

Hopefully this can be called an agreement, and can we all leave the DD conflicts behind forever.

Also It's fine for me how the admin rights at github are setup right now, except that I don't have the ability to create a new repository in the DD organization, William, can you think about that, if/how that can be managed? Absolutely not now, but say that if I would like to start a new project (e.g. similar as xenialdog) in the future, I would have to ask you to create that new repository (that's how it is now, if I'm right).

And to everyone: Sorry for all the fuzz, it was from time to time "not a pretty sight" (yes, understatement)

Regards,

Fred

mcewanw

#418 Post by mcewanw »

Okay Fred,

That's fine. I'll think about that.

William
github mcewanw

saintless

#419 Post by saintless »

Hi William.
mcewanw wrote:I have now done that.
Thanks.
mcewanw wrote:I also have a few scripts or parts of scripts in DebianDog, which are my work so it is not a matter of me going anywhere.
And they are even GPL as far as I remember ;)
You are not the only one having scripts there and the sad part is Fred didn't include many scripts from Terry and others written for the Jwm version. He didn't even copy the original credist from here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=93225
I have my sins too of course.
It should have been community project and this was my true intention.

About the project ownership - I have no more claims for ownership of DebianDog project. You can see I and Fred can't turn this into a community project. Maybe you will find someone else to do it in time.

My last request to you, William, is to include the credits from the link above somewhere easy readable on the DebianDog organisation page. You are not obligated to do it of course.

Fred - no more conflicts from me in the future.

Toni

backi

#420 Post by backi »

These are really good News.......on a bright and shiny Day . :D :D :D

....and don`t look back ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IS3xbQZZ5_E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUrktHhuzzY