The future of Carolina

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
GMBudwrench

Just my 2 cents worth

#41 Post by GMBudwrench »

I just finally got around to trying out Lina 1.0 and may I say Wow! I always download a puplet here and there, got a ton of them, but most of the time, I never try them. I took advantage of some spare time to try some that I had and when I came across Lina, I was hooked. I love the polished look of it. Lots of foreign apps and controls, but as I read in a prior post, it wasn't anything hard to pick up. I have 1.1 on download queue and am eagerly awaiting 1.2. It is now my favorite and I hope you guys keep it coming. Thanks for your hard work on this, it is appreciated!

amigo

#42 Post by amigo »

"Carolina avoids using /usr/local" Congratulations! Nice to see someone doing any little ol' thing right...

can8v

#43 Post by can8v »

I have a suggestion, but it will take a bigger brain than mine to pull it off. I suggested it in the main users category, years ago, but nobody could figure it out then or just didn't have time for it. At any rate it would be more valuable now, as Carolina come with LibreOffice. The Windows version of Open Office has always allowed for installing just Writer or just Calc or Say Writer, Calc and Impress, but not Draw and Base. A sort of Ala Cart decision when you run the install script. To my knowledge this has never been available in Linux. In Linux you simple install the entire office suite or none of it. Well the vast majority of people only use Writer and sometimes Calc. Only a small percentage use impress. Even fewer use Base and Draw. It would be nice if Carolina only had to come with Writer and Calc and the rest served up as PET packages. For years when given a choice I would install Abi and Gnumeric over Writer and Calc despite Writer and Calc's obvious superiority, because I didn't want to install the entire office suite to get them. Now I have plenty of resources and it isn't as big of a deal for me, but I imagine among many people using Puppy, that is still a big deal. For me just because I have the resources doesn't mean I want to waste them and if I could install Writer and Calc without the others I would. Whether this can be done, I don't know, but I think it should be done and if I could figure it out I would have a long time ago.

Geoffrey

#44 Post by Geoffrey »

@ can8v

Going by what I read HERE, it's not much of a benefit if it could be done, this bit in that link caught my attention
As an example removing all "programs" except for Writer from 3.6.0.2 reduced the install folder from 361Mb to 338Mb (23Mb = 6% reduction!)
The main reason I felt that LibreOffice should be added is that my granddaughter was doing a high school assignment that required database, Cal and presentation, she was able to do all that in Puppy, so it is worth retaining.
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]
[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ahfade8q4def1lq/signbot.gif[/img]

rg66

#45 Post by rg66 »

Just an FYI

Carolina-1.2 is underway and should be available in the next week or two.

Some things we are going to implement will be changing distro name, sfs and save file names to differentiate between the 3 versions. Carolina will stay the same but Carolite as an example will now have adrv_carolite_1.2.sfs, zdrv_carolite_1.2.sfs, puppy_carolite_1.2.sfs and carolitesave.4fs. Non-pae will also change.
X-slacko-5b1 - X-tahr-2.0 - X-precise-2.4
[url=http://smokey01.com/rg66/]X-series repo[/url]

rokytnji

#46 Post by rokytnji »

After wrestling with Slack0 5.6 with Comix (cbrpager ended up being used with some added gtk .pet dependencies) and Minitube (gtk-youtube-viewer was used instead)
and some kind of cli downloader for youtube videos ( I use greasemonkey with scripts but
I need sometimes a low resource downloader) .

It will be coool beans to see how well 1.2 turns out. I think you guys are the cats meow.

Happy Trails coming from, Rok

Colonel Panic

#47 Post by Colonel Panic »

rg66 wrote:Just an FYI

Carolina-1.2 is underway and should be available in the next week or two.

Some things we are going to implement will be changing distro name, sfs and save file names to differentiate between the 3 versions. Carolina will stay the same but Carolite as an example will now have adrv_carolite_1.2.sfs, zdrv_carolite_1.2.sfs, puppy_carolite_1.2.sfs and carolitesave.4fs. Non-pae will also change.
Great news! I'm looking forward to it.

Thanks for all your hard work,

CP .
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.