PET-Be-Gone v0.4

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
Pizzasgood

#41 Post by Pizzasgood »

Good point. The files involved are livepackages.txt and deadpackages.txt in /root/.packages/, which is a hidden directory (click the 'eye' button in ROX-Filer's toolbar).

If the deadpackages.txt is empty, you can delete it or leave it, makes no difference anymore. If it has stuff in it, it should have no blank lines, except possibly the final line. If there are blank lines, either remove them or remove the file. I don't think it should have any of those though.

Similar conditions for livepackages.txt. If there are any blank lines, they will probably be at the very top (since they were inserted alphabetically). Just remove them. If possible, you don't want to remove this file because it will lose track of any official packages you've installed. (Any third-party .pet files should be fine). That doesn't hurt anything, but it prevents you from uninstalling them unless you reinstall them again first.

If you do remove it, you need to run PETget's gui so that it will regenerate the file from packages.txt (this isn't a simple copy like deadpackages.txt starts as).

That should cover it. If you already have PET-Be-Gone installed, you may want to uninstall it first to remove its entry from PETget's list (since the new version will add a second entry). Otherwise, there are no issues with installing the new version over the old one. It will just overwrite the old files.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

sideburns

#42 Post by sideburns »

OK, that's easy enough. Use PetGet's GUI to remove it, download the new version and reinstall it and the file should be fine. Great!
Registered Linux user #470359

telemetric_au

#43 Post by telemetric_au »

hi,

i have puppy 4.1.1 and installed 0pkgs 4.1.1 and then the petbgone, but im getting the following error:

ERROR: /root/.packages/unleashed does not exist. Maybe
0pkgs_db-4.1.1.pet isn't installed?

why so ? do u need unleashed or hdd install to even run petbgone, im currently just running frugal i think it is with save file...

thanks,

Hayden.

telemetric_au

#44 Post by telemetric_au »

no problem, i got it working as per posted earlier:

pet2tgz 0pkgs_db-4.11.pet
tar -zxf 0pkgs_db-4.11.tar.gz
mv 0pkgs_db-4.11/root/.packages/* /root/.packages/.

Pizzasgood

#45 Post by Pizzasgood »

The reason is because that package contains lists of what files belong to what package. Without those lists, it has no way to know what files to remove when you tell it to remove something.

The older version used to download the package, extract it, create the list, delete the extracted and downloaded copies, and then delete the files in the list. But that seemed kind of dumb when there was this nice package containing the lists already. And it was really slow if you wanted to remove a lot of stuff. Plus it would begin to have errors any time Puppy went through a minor upgrade, because the unleashed packages would be modified from the originals. The package list packages are left alone though, so the new way should work on any version.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]

technosaurus

#46 Post by technosaurus »

not to be imposing but why not just put the 0pkgsXXX.pet into the petbegone.pet since this is the only reason pretty much anyone downloads that package

Nevermind... I answered my own question with the XXX. I guess it would be considerably more packaging to do this before you get to a 1.0 version. Food for thought though.

zudo

#47 Post by zudo »

is there a 0pkgs file for 4.12 yet? I can not find it...

eztuxer

#48 Post by eztuxer »

Same here :

WhoDo

#49 Post by WhoDo »

zudo wrote:is there a 0pkgs file for 4.12 yet? I can not find it...
Since 4.1.2 is a bug fix of 4.1.1 you could download the 0pkgs file for that and simply rename and install it. Then go to /root/.packages/unleashed and rename 0rootfs-skeleton-411 to 412. That should work, but no promises.

Hope that helps
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

eztuxer

#50 Post by eztuxer »

I cant find the Opkgs_db-4.1.1, the only one I get is 3.0...
I've renamed the 3.0 to 4.1.2 but had no luck so far.

rjbrewer

#51 Post by rjbrewer »

The only Opkgs packages I remember were from Caneris'
site; part of the 3.00 bug fixes.
Never saw a bugfix list for 4.00 or later.

Pizzasgood

#52 Post by Pizzasgood »

ftp://ftp.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distrib ... ackages-4/

Looks like Barry forgot to upload one for 4.1.2. Anyways, like WhoDo said, the one from 4.1.1 should probably work.

Evil20071

#53 Post by Evil20071 »

Yep. It does.
[url=http://totalelectronics.us]TotalElectronics.us[/url]

eztuxer

#54 Post by eztuxer »

It removed successfully MHwave and Xsoldier, original puppy installed.

However with blender installed by fatpup CD it can't find the file in the DB 412 list, and abort.

Can I add the needed files in the list ? How do I do it ?

ttuuxxx

#55 Post by ttuuxxx »

I don't think thats possible via Pet-Be-Gone because its made just to remove the default puppy files only not the ones that users installed.
But what you could do is download the program you want to remove, change the pet to tar.gz by renaming the end part like
blender.pet to
blender.tar.gz
click on it and extract it, it will tell you it as a few errors but disregard that . once its extracted open it and look around, you'll see all the files which were installed and the locations, so basically follow each location and delete the matching file. like one would be probably
/usr/share/applications/blender.desktop <-- delete the desktop
or usr/local/bin/blender <--delete the blender
usr/local/share/blender <-- if that folder is there, delete the folder
etc etc etc untill you have everything delete that was in that pet package.
hope that helps
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

technosaurus

#56 Post by technosaurus »

It "should" have registered with pet get if you installed it as a pet - so you can use petget to uninstall it
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

eztuxer

#57 Post by eztuxer »

technosaurus wrote:It "should" have registered with pet get if you installed it as a pet - so you can use petget to uninstall it
It was added by fatpup 2 (412), in the fatpup .iso ...

The reason I used fatpup as base is that it already had hard to tweak dependencies needed for JACK ctrl and LMMS built in, cause I was "struggling" with the standard puppy 412 to add music softs on top of rendering 412 AAO (Acer Aspire One) ready.

But it's no big deal, I'll just leave the games and blender in for this first realease, I still have to tweak Icons apps so that they are installed by the remastered CD, and I'll upload the iso asap.

Then tuxers & puppyers will be able to tune it "on hand", helping the next realease to be improved further, like upgrading kernel to 2.6.27

In spite of using Linux for 10 years I still consider myself a newbie, I love to put a pupplet together, but can't code nada. :oops:

Thanx to all for sharing this precious knowledge.

eztuxer

#58 Post by eztuxer »

@ ttuuxxx :

The archive did not expand, err ...
But I used Pfind to locate the files,
Anyhow, after removing them in /usr/local/blender/ & rebooting, they reappeared. :evil:
Do I need to remove all files in /initrd/ too ? :?:

Pizzasgood

#59 Post by Pizzasgood »

You shouldn't mess with the files in /initrd/. The ones in the /initrd/pup_ro* directories are read-only anyways (they're the stuff inside the .sfs files). The stuff in /initrd/pup_rw/ is what is actually in the pup_save.2fs file. Going in there and changing things can confuse Puppy.

One place in /initrd/ where it's safe to monkey around is /initrd/mnt/dev_save, which is where the partition containing your pup_save.2fs file is mounted. This directory is normally symlinked to /mnt/home though, so that you don't have to go into /initrd/ at all.

One area where PET-Be-Gone isn't much help is remasters. The remaster script doesn't (and can't) involve the creation of .files lists for all the files in it, since remastering doesn't start with the packages as individual packages. So it has no way to know which files belong to which package (other than with the files created by PETget when you install most packages - I don't remember how the remaster script deals with those. Probably ignores them).

Custom Puppies created with Unleashed are another story. Unleashed does start with them as individual packages. It doesn't automatically create the .files lists though. You have to run the createpets script. That also creates .pet packages out of all the directories, which a custom package creator probably doesn't need, so they may want to comment out that portion, or create a separate script to do the .files list generation. In the 4.12 tree, the stuff from line 101-137 is what creates all the other packages. The stuff before that chunk creates the lists, and the stuff after creates the .pet of the lists. Rather than creating a .pet, they could be added to the new Puppy itself.

That script needs to be re-run whenever any packages gain or lose files.

Rather than using an archiving program, I just run tar xf somepackage.pet
Another option is to first run pet2tgz somepackage.pet, which converts the package into a proper .tar.gz file (the only difference is that a .pet package has an md5sum appened to the end of the file, which is why the tar program complains if you try to extract a .pet package without converting it with pet2tgz).

eztuxer

#60 Post by eztuxer »

Tnx P G.

If it's not too complicated I'll try to use unleashed for the next release, to start from a clean base.

I dreamt that a [rm blender.*] something command could just do it, but I'm sure it would also remove some shared libs too, and damage the whole thing.